British North American Internship Program Reviews

1 University Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11201, New York, USA

Biggest problem: the facilities weren't up to par with standard expectations for a Western hostel. - no public computer (not all of us have smartphones) - no telephone for making outbound calls - one of the three showers on the floor didn't work Problem #2: cleanliness. The room was filthy. The mattress had sand all over it when I got there, and I had to keep shoes on all the time because of the dirty floor. #3: staff. They offered no solutions for problems and were very unhelpful.

The hostel has a good location, it is close to Brooklyn Bridge maybe just 15 minutes walk but the room was really dirty, especially floor there was a big mess and also the bed was covered with dust but on the other hand the bed linen was clean.

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Slovakia

The place is very well located, close to the bridge and to many subway stations but it's actually very dirty, and I've been in many hostels in my life.

We were not allowed to stay there because we where there with our son, who was the only student of the family but who unfortunately was minor of age ! Don't go there if you have children ! Staff is very unflexible, the didn't let us stay and we had to find another hotel in New York in the middle of the night ! Very bad experience ! Never again !

Unlike the negative experiences some reviewers had regarding cleanliness, I found BNAIP to be quite tidy during my stay. If you've ever lived in a dorm, then you know what BNAIP'll be like. I had a very positive experience, except for 2 things: first, although on the Hostel World website, it indicates you can check in as early as 11am, in reality you can only check in after 1pm. Also, after checkout, there is no "safe room" for luggage. It has to be left in the hallway. Other than that, great!

• 29th Jul 2014

I've experienced a large number of youth hostels and the conditions at this one were specially disgusting. Cockroaches in the room and rats in the bathroom, plus an extremely aggressive and inadequate security check. The only high point is the park space in front of it, and the low price. I would not recommend it for anything else than extremely short stays or very very low budgets.

I was very lucky I was able to find this place. The rates are cheap, it's very clean and secure and the subway station is just a few steps away. I loved the place so much that I decided to extend my stay. I'm actually still here as I write this review.

• Estonia

Only 4 people in each room. Right next to the subway line, so it's a great base to explore both Brooklyn and Manhattan.

• Bahrain

I had a wonderful time. The staff were all very nice and helpful, especially Ken. I'd love to come back next year.

• Democratic Rep. of Congo

Great bang for your buck! The place is safe, clean and very close to public transport.

• French Guiana

Our group booked separately and we asked them to put us all in adjacent rooms. The staff came through for us. Thats service for you. The rooms are big and the bathrooms we're regularly cleaned.

• 27th Jul 2014

I'm used to staying in dorms and crowded hostels so I wasn't expecting a lot but my stay here was surprisingly wonderful. Couldn't ask for more. The rates were also a lot cheaper when I booked but now they're a bit higher. No surprise, I suppose.

• 27th Jul 2014

Great location and a secure place to stay in Brooklyn. I liked that it's on a campus with a nice courtyard. Price was very reasonable.

• 27th Jul 2014

Great location and security. Bedrooms were big. People were nice and helpful.

• Kuwait

Super convenient location with big rooms. Hassle-free check in.

• Mauritania

The location was great and the subway station was close (so there was easy access to Manhattan). Staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Bahamas

I had a one bed private room and for the price I have paid it was the best choice in New York. Nice staff, great location, close to the metro station and feeling safe (entrance gate and building). I hope I could come to NY next year and then for sure I would stay here :)

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Poland

Good beds, dirty and busy bathrooms, close to the subway. Very cheap so good value for your money.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in during my trip so far. It's on a beautiful campus and there's plenty of lawn to lay out and enjoy the sun. It felt like I was in an Ivy League school, but in reality I was in New York! The location was amazing and convenient. I originally had qualms about staying in Brooklyn, but amazingly it was just one stop to Soho and downtown Manhattan. I was able to meet my friend in Union Square in just 15 minutes.

• 15th Jul 2014

I loved that it is in a university campus, because there are security guards at all the entrances and inside the campus feels very like any other school campus. It is quiet, safe, and green, despite being in the middle of Brooklyn! Close enough to transportation, and the price was great when I booked it!

• 15th Jul 2014