Brown Kiwi Travellers Hostel Reviews

7 Prosford Street, Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand

A pleasant enough, friendly enough, clean enough, if slightly worn at the edges hostel. But it's trying to fit in too many people. No bag storage space in the rooms so the rooms are a bit of a mess - especially where longer term guests have 'spread out'. Too few showers. Security lockers but not enough of them for everyone to have one. The mattresses are not great. Staff seem inexperienced (guests doubling up?). Paid for wifi and bag storage sucks - so last year. OK but there are better options.

• 9th Dec 2014

The door lock of our room was broken, so the door was open the whole day. there were only four lockers in an 8 bed dorm.. everywhere in the room and in the shower was hair. after the checkout I had to leave the hostel and could not even let my baggage there to pick it up later ...

A very welcoming, and homey atmosphere can be found at Brown Kiwi, and it's in a cool area of Auckland, not too far from the CBD. It's worth keeping in mind that there are alot of people there long term, or at least working, rather than travelling, so there may not be such a great opportunity to meet other tourists just passing through.

Hi, thanks for your comments! We do have long term guests between May and August when the weather is not so good for travelling in New Zealand but we have very few long beds available over summer. During summer we pride ourselves on making sure guests meet lots of new friends to share their New Zealand arrival and travel experiences

I am disappointed I booked for 3 night and was only able to stay 2 and was told that the room was already book, no one tired to accommodate me. When I arrived no one was there to check me in then I had to come back to re check in. When I came back the person behind the desk did not know what they were doing asked me to come back I had to tell him to call the manager.. The experience was very disappointing. Location great hostel was lovely and cozy staff very disappointing.