Brown Kiwi Travellers Hostel Reviews

7 Prosford Street, Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand

A pleasant enough, friendly enough, clean enough, if slightly worn at the edges hostel. But it's trying to fit in too many people. No bag storage space in the rooms so the rooms are a bit of a mess - especially where longer term guests have 'spread out'. Too few showers. Security lockers but not enough of them for everyone to have one. The mattresses are not great. Staff seem inexperienced (guests doubling up?). Paid for wifi and bag storage sucks - so last year. OK but there are better options.

• 9th Dec 2014

The door lock of our room was broken, so the door was open the whole day. there were only four lockers in an 8 bed dorm.. everywhere in the room and in the shower was hair. after the checkout I had to leave the hostel and could not even let my baggage there to pick it up later ...

A very welcoming, and homey atmosphere can be found at Brown Kiwi, and it's in a cool area of Auckland, not too far from the CBD. It's worth keeping in mind that there are alot of people there long term, or at least working, rather than travelling, so there may not be such a great opportunity to meet other tourists just passing through.

Hi, thanks for your comments! We do have long term guests between May and August when the weather is not so good for travelling in New Zealand but we have very few long beds available over summer. During summer we pride ourselves on making sure guests meet lots of new friends to share their New Zealand arrival and travel experiences

I am disappointed I booked for 3 night and was only able to stay 2 and was told that the room was already book, no one tired to accommodate me. When I arrived no one was there to check me in then I had to come back to re check in. When I came back the person behind the desk did not know what they were doing asked me to come back I had to tell him to call the manager.. The experience was very disappointing. Location great hostel was lovely and cozy staff very disappointing.

Besr hostel we have stayed in!

Would recomend Brown kiwi hostel to all who want to feel like at home. Very friendly stuff, great athmosphere. It is only 20 minut walk to city centre and 1 minut walk to Ponsonby road with lots of shops, pubs and more important bank, post and library. Thank you Roberta, Damaris, Hannes and Lucy for making my stay so pleasant and nice. Defenitly se you again, when I am back in Auckland. Rok, Slovenia

A bit of a hike up some steep hills from the city centre (walked there with our packs, took the bus on the way out), but definitely nice and quiet. Kitchen felt a bit cramped with other guests milling around, but we never had to wait for stove space and found enough space to store our food. Sharper knives would have been great. Socializing was kind of awkward as most of the other guests were staying long term, knew each other, and were all from Germany (we're Canadian).

Really enjoyed my stay here for my last week in NZ. Love the little garden/patio hang out area. Staff were very helpful (particularly Hannes). Cool mix of longer term hostel peeps and new travellers coming in.

nice garden, nice people but realy far from the bus stop etc.

This Was a nice little quaint Hostel i liked this one felt like home..

Standard hostel, nothing to complain or rave about. It was a out of the main city center, but close to the bus. When I checked in, the staff were helpful explaining the bus routes to the places I planned on visiting.

Good hostel, got upgraded to a private room, which I think helped them as well as us. Hannes was super helpful and friendly, always trying to give us advice and tips for things we needed.

Very nice staff. My upgraded room (they lost my booking so i got an upgrade) smelled really bad and I couldn't close the windows properly. I was of course happy with the upgrade. No lockers for backpacks. Main crowd are german backpackers who stay, work and know eachother so it's a bit harder as usual to make contact. Location was really nice.

We booked a double room for 6 day's. We think that the hostel is ok but it wasn't very clean! The kitchen was very dirty (maybe also because other gys didn't clean up)... The hostel is close to the city centre of Auckland (only 10-15min walk)

Hi, very sorry Santana did not find hostel clean. We have a cleaner every day and also management clean regularly. Sometimes we can't keep up if there is a particularly messy bunch of guests. Thanks for the feedback - we'll keep trying!

Very friendly and helpful people (staff + backpackers). They did everything to help me finding back my wallet that I lost the day I arrived in NZ.

Wonderful that a fellow french backpacker found the wallet in the bus and handed it into the airport. A great result!

A great comfortable hostel in a fantastic location - walkable to Auckland but in a much better setting if you want to feel like you are living where Kiwi's live as opposed to staying in a big commercial hostel on the main strip. Staff are really helpful and people are friendly. The house does look a little tired but it is comfortable, clean and warm - what more do you need?

Nice hostel, no hassle, good experience.

• 16th Aug 2013
  • Hungary

we really appreciate you taking the time to rate us, thanks!

We had a very good time, the hostel has two sections, and on the quiet section, ideal for couples, every thing was perfect, except for the WIFI signal wich was really poor.

A fantastically friendly welcome, really cute and clean kitchen and communal areas, only stayed one night but would definitely go back, Ponsonby is a great area and not too far from the main CBD, communal bathroom was very small but other than that it was perfect!

housekeeper is very sexy and nice fellow

• 26th Jan 2013