Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

Great hostel with helpful personel!

• 5th May 2015
  • mackanfkp
  • Sweden

A great place to stay.

Brilliant!

The hostel is located a little outside of the city center, which means it's a little quieter if you are looking for that, but obviously a little harder to get place. Shuttle services worked well. It's slightly cheaper to take the Gautrain, but the shuttle was a lot faster.

I stayed in one of the single rooms and it was all good. The staff is always so friendly and the hostel has a nice atmosphere. When I'm in Johannesburg this is the hostel I always come back to.

quiet and safe, good facilities, and nice people, but not really a party atmosphere after 10pm.

• 27th Mar 2015

Nice place! The single rooms might not be for people with problems to sleep as they are small wooden cabins surrounded by trees and you might hear the rain during the night. But if you like it, great experience! The hostel and its people are lovely and the whole experience was funky. Well-run place. Recommend it!

Stayed there while transiting and then decided to stay there on the way back as well. The location is a bit far from everything but then Jo'burg is huge so you cant really be near everything. The staff is excellent. June, Tina, Solomon and all the rest are all helpful + great company. The airport transfer is free for one way only so its gonan dent your budget on the way back. They have a car to drop you off at practically anywhere you want to go in Jo'burg and that too at cheap rates.

Too bad that they don't offer a free shuttle to the airport...

We offer a FREE pick up service from the OR Tambo Airport or Park Station (Central bus and train station) as part of our services but we have to charge for all other transfers to cover our driver and vehicle expenses.........sorry that you do not understand but trust you had a great stay

Really great hostel. Having an option to get dinner at the hostel is great and the lady who cooks is fantastic, really great food and super friendly. Most of the staff were really nice and helpful and the single rooms are really cute with comfortable beds.

Excellent all around: great staff, great amenities, very clean. . The location isn't within walking distance of a lot, but their shuttle is not expensive and is reliable. One driver picked us up even after his shift was over to avoid any confusion with the next driver's shift.

• 4th Mar 2015

Brown Sugar is a real backpackers hostel. Perfect location in case you are just arrived, or waiting for your flight back home because it is very close to airport. Very interesting design. Friendly atmosphere. Would stay there for sure on my next trip to Johannesburg.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Israel

The Brown sugar it's a very nice place, nice staff. I just think the transfer provide from the Brown sugar are a little expensive. Using Uber or even regular taxis are better value.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Accommodation is our main business and we offer competitive transfers that is cheaper than or match meter taxi's. We have cheap public transport 200m from the gate at R10 per trip. If we do not have a driver and vehicle (because we offer a free pick up service, which is the main issue) we suggest alternative options or making use of Uber is a great and often the cheapest for private transfers.

************************************************************* Please ignore these ratings. My trip to South Africa was cancelled so I did not stay at the BSBPs Nowhere in your survey is there a space for me to tell you about the cancellation. I did try to tell you in this section about the cancellation but the questionnaire - time after time was sent back to me telling me to answer the questions!!!!!!!!!! Thank you JP

Lots of great hangout spots at The hostel itself. Staff is helpful with any travel questions you might have. Only drawback is it's a bit far from things to do in Jo-burg but definitely enjoyed my stay

It's a great place, though a little out the way but if you have a car it's fine. The bar is lovely but closes too early, and the night guard is clueless. Awesome free breakfast and very helpful reception staff. I would definitely go back.

Facilities are fine, but the staff are not always nice. They were racist with a friend of mine from ZA, that disappointed me a lot. It is not easy to walk around. They only give you a free ride to the airport or bus station, so you have to pay mandatory for the return one. It is fine if you have you own car. The breakfast was very nice, they even give scrambled eggs. If it is your first time in ZA, better stay around Melville, Soweto or downtown. You will be able to live joburg in an nicer way.

This is a great hostel. The staff really make it, they are fantastic. The wifi is a bit slow, and while the complex has great security but it is average in the dorms- not a problem with the great people I shared with! The pool, bar and outdoor areas are super nice and chill, perfect base to explore Joburg, and the hostel is very helpful with arranging lifts, tours etc. Will stay again for sure!

• 8th Feb 2015

STAFF: The worst thing about the hostel. Unknowledgeable, unfriendly (for the most part), uninformative and lacking (I don’t think I ever went to reception and didn’t have to wait). They tend to grunt and lack basic manners such as ‘thank you’ when paying. They don’t give you any info, for example: the need to order dinner by 18:00. I also had to move rooms half way through my stay.

Dear Daniel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and all because of the bad experience(s) you seemed to have with the staff since the staff has a very high rating. I will follow up on on the circumstances and view camera footage to see what the reason was for you waiting at reception and why you had to move rooms. Regards Liezel - owner

Great hostel. Lovely staff. Highly recommend in Jo-burg

Thank you Philip and hope to see you again in the near future

View all Johannesburg Hostels