Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

Incredibly friendly and helpful staff, great place to stay!

• 19th Jul 2014

Nice place but it needs more bathrooms and showers, in the main builtding there is only one in the first floor and it has to be shared with a lot of people. Nice breakfast, and the free pick up from the airport is a plus.

Great. I needed somewhere to stay for an afternoon and a night after arriving at the airport, and a ride to the Park Station the next day. They picked me up for free as promised - when I called, they said it would be 20 to 45 minutes and it was 20. Free wifi downstairs, good showers and bed. I left too early for the free breakfast, so they packed one. They arranged a cab for me the next morning, it was on time. Too far to walk to the city, but hanging out with people was fun. Good atmosphere.

• 7th Jul 2014

Generous en kindly. A very comfortable atmosphere!

Overall, very pleased. Very nice facilities, and the optional dinners were very tasty.

No easy access to public transport so need to pay for taxis to get to tourist sites. Free shuttle was not available for many hours after we arrived at the airport so still had to pay R200-300 for taxi. Service was dreadful. Reception staff did not know how to get efficiently to tourist attractions, and did not offer advice on tours even to Kruger Park bar one expensive company. Kitchen not open for orders after 6pm, so we after we arrived at 7pm we had to order awful take-away pizza.

I stayed in the private room next to reception. Most hostels I've stayed in have had daily houskeeping, this one didnt. Front desk reception was hard to find at times. Had a cool group of people, cool atmosphere, good view. All around very beautiful space.

• 25th Jun 2014

Dear Benjamin. Thank you for the feedback. We have housekeeping for the general or common areas, bathrooms and dining areas daily from 06h30 to 15h00. You could have requested for a cleaner at reception to make your bed and clean your room . As a rule the staff is not allowed in the rooms unless our guests request such services. A staff member should be on duty in reception from 07h00 to 22h00 daily, unless they went for a meal interval or bathroom break. Glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise.

we spend a good stay at brown suguar but during the winter, the house is too cold.

• 15th Jun 2014

I traveled from Cape Town to Joburg and stayed at hostels. The staff there were the least friendliest hostel staff I l've stayed at.

• 8th Jun 2014

I do apologize for the unpleasant experience. I will try to find out who was on duty and what happened because we have an average rating of 85% for our staff. Regards Liezel - owner

Place was OK. Good place if you want to meet up with other backpackers as has a bar and other useful amenities. Big negative is the shared bathroom. The toilet and shower are essentially outside and the sink is straight up outside. Fine for summer, but in winter it was literally freezing outside and I had to get ready in the morning and night outside in horrendous weather. Spend the money for a private bathroom (if they are inside).

The room you stayed was one of the outside rooms where two rooms share the bathroom facilities. Yes, the bathroom is outside the rooms but we have alternative enclosed bathrooms for the cabins on the opposite side that you could have used that is much warmer fore the colder months. These rooms are very popular in the warmer months as you mentioned. You could have also requested an inside room as soon as you made the reservation.

Amazing staff! Incredibly helpful with any and all questions. Breakfast was great, as were the prepared dinners. Definitely stay here of you're flying into or out of Joburg.

Awesome hostel and great n helpful staff...breakfast is unbelievable....dinner is very affordable....fun bar with excellent bar staff...thanks Thuso, Cynthia, Solomon, n June.

Nice hostel, far out from everything but good free pick up is a bonus but took an hour to get there, wifi didnt work

Thank you for staying with us. The pick up will take longer if the driver is busy with another transfer or in case of peak traffic so not much can be done about this as we only have one driver on duty and it takes us about 20-30 minutes to drive to the airport, if you included the waiting. We have two Wi-Fi modems and the second one is a backup with limited data but 99% of the time we have internet and apologize for the hick up while you were here as we know the importance of Wi-Fi.

It was a good stay. The staff was friendly and there was free transfers from the airport (but you had to pay to go back, but it was a reasonable price)

• 12th May 2014

I really liked the hostel! The pick up service is amazing, and they´ll give you good tips around joburg. It's a bit far from some stuff, and the mall it's quite a walk from the hostel. I ended up renting a car, and I could park inside. My room was very good! And the shower as well. The diner for 65R is amazing, really big and tasty! Also the bas is pretty good. The hostel was no full, it was empty, but i had a great time!

Felt really safe during our stay. Great Wi-Fi and facilities.

• 29th Apr 2014

It's a great place with lots of potential. It would be a lot better with a good cleaning and some general repairs.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Dear Karen Thanks for the comment and staying with us. I see that you stayed in one of the outside rooms at the back that is scheduled for an upgrade and painting in May 2014. We normally get good rates for the cleanliness and not sure which areas you refer to as it was a general comment? The outside bathrooms are exposed to wind and dust and the cleaning staff leaves at 15h00 and shared bathrooms can cause issues if not kept tidy by other guests. Warm regards Liezel - owner

friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms

• 20th Apr 2014

Helpful and friendly staff. When the bar closed they asked us if we wanted to buy some alcohol and continue the party outside instead. Very much appreciated! Nice breakfirst! Good WIFI. They don't serve lunch and dinner if too few people stay there, but 15 minute walk and you have lots of restaurants to choose from. Possibility to order pizza with free delivery. Will definitly stay here again if I visit Joburg again.

Hi Daniel thanks for staying with us. We sell great PUB LUNCHES daily between 11h45 and 13h45 and we prepare and serve dinners daily from 19h00 to 19h30. I just confirmed on the CCTV cameras that dinners were served on both evenings? Maybe you were too late but next time we see you. Regards Liezel - owner

I only stayed here because I had a flight out of Joberg the next day and it was close to the airport. When I asked for a pickup at the Liseria airport they told me it was not possible, although they advertise pickups on their site. When asked why, they said it was too far and they didn't have enough transportation. Then why even show it as a possibility?

View all Johannesburg Hostels