8.0
Fabulous 450 Total Reviews
8.0
Fabulous 450 Total Reviews
Brown Sugar Backpackers Located at 75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg.
South Africa
Johannesburg Gauteng 2198 75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension
80% 450
-26.1802620 28.0861401
    Rooms available

• USA, Couple, 25-30
2nd Aug 2016

Helpful staff, clean rooms, excellent breakfast included and affordable dinner. Would definitely reccommend this place

31st Jul 2016

Thanks Brown Sugar for your hospitality, friendliness, & just overall greatness! If/when I make it back to Jo'burg, I'll definitely stay with you again!

• Australia, Male, 31-40
21st Jul 2016

Great place. Friendly staff. Loved the home cooked meals. Good vibes.

• Australia, Female, 31-40
21st Jul 2016
5.7

I expected a room not a cabin, I didn't like the decor and old furniture (too cluttered), hardly anyone was staying there, the wifi was only good near reception. driver was hitting on me, even running his hand across my boob, checking my seatbelt (with an open fist). The location was really far from anything, even a local corner store/bakery. There was a school group screaming and running around. Positives: friendly helpful staff, dinner menu, converter powerpoints, view of city.

• Belgium, Female, 41+
17th Jul 2016
6.6

We do believe that one day this place has been great but obviously, this belongs to the past. Material is old and broken, cleanliness is very relative. Laundry Wash machine only works with cold water. But we still appreciated the good location (near airport and close to the city). This is not the best accommodation we had in South Africa but it was not the worse either.

• France, Female, 18-24
13th Jul 2016

Stayed there for one night. Really nice and helpful people. Cosy and beautiful place...

• Scotland, Male, 18-24
10th Jul 2016

Lovely hostel with friendly staff and a good security setup. We only stayed one night so didn't have much opportunity to enjoy the facilities but the hostel looked like it would be a lot of fun for longer stays. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Australia, Female, 25-30
10th Jul 2016
6.9

Only had one night here in transit but staff were very nice and helpful - not many other guests there but after a long flight from Aust dinner and bed was all I was after - had dinner was huge servings and put me to bed with a full belly - great for a stop over

• South Africa, Couple, 18-24
30th Jun 2016
6.3

Don't recommend staying past two days as the location is isolated and far from anything interesting. They offer a R10 shuttle to the mall and a few places nearby but are up to 10x more expensive return. An example would be going to the 15 minute away mall, it would cost R10 to go pp, but 160 to come back. The free breakfast is good compared to other places I've been to, they offer eggs and yoghurt and toast with juice/coffee/tea. Wifi is horrible in the rooms which was really inconvenient.

• South Africa, Male, 25-30
10th Jun 2016

I came to Brown Sugar Backpackers in a very low point of my life. I needed escape, I needed to forget, and I needed to feel safe. BSB made me feel welcomed, treated me with respect and courtesy even when I had booked their cheapest accommodation. Their facilities were all one could ask for and more. Finally exploring in the morning I realized just how big BSB is, how much it has to offer and just how homey it is. Thank you BSB for making my stay in JHB a memoarble one.