Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

Another good return visit, helpful taxi to/from airport with staff, one free !

• 28th Jan 2016
  • Couple, 41+

The beds had plastic underneath the sheets which when you move make a lot of noise! It seemed to be very quiet there. Most people only staying 1 night before moving on. Breakfast included was a nice touch. The wifi was terrible.

Great hostel. Very friendly and helpful staff. The airport pickup is fantastic. Would stay here again

A very nice self contained facility. I would stay there again if I return to Johannesburg.

My stay at Brown Sugar Backpackers wasn't very pleasant The free pick up from the airport was great and then it all began: The staff at the reception was rather rude Internet was not working which also made it impossible to pay with credit card (despite accepting the 5% surcharge) Our room (private double) seemed to be a former garage and was rather dark and smelly The kitchen facilities were rather disgusting Signs with strongly worded rules everywhere I would not stay there again

• 6th Jan 2016
  • Austria

As always feels like home when staying at Brown Sugar. Such friendly staff that always helps out and You got everything You need. We always stay here when we are in Joburg.

after checkout, we had to pay 50R per person for each hour we wanted to stay in the living room or the kitchen (not even in our bedroom), that is kinda stealing. Also the taxi they ordered for us was very expensive, we paid 250R on our way to some place and 170R on our way back...

• 24th Dec 2015

No problems, I only stayed for one night (18 hours layover). Free pickup took a little time, but I was expecting that. They scheduled with me for the drop off (an extra 250ZAR if I'm remembering right) that night and were right on schedule. Everyone was nice and the building was cool. Thanks!

• 23rd Dec 2015

The free pick-up is a nice touch, as is the fact the SAR120 flat rate for rides into the city means several people going makes it very affordable. The free breakfast was amazing and I appreciated the fact that a vegetarian option was provided with the meal at night. Having takeaway menus is a good idea and I got to watch English Football on the TV. There are lovely areas to sit in and overall a very nice feel. Internet in room was not always a good connection and or taps in Palm #4 needed fixing

• 12th Dec 2015

It felt strange to be put to bed, since they close almost every common space at midnight.

This was the first hostel we stayed at on our rtw tour. Location isn't great and taxis will be required for most trips but other than that the hostel was great and staff very helpful.

Very helpful staff. Wifi connection poor, and not going to the form rooms. Nice view. Good for inexperienced Jo'burg travellers.

• 16th Nov 2015
  • Belgium

Nice hostel on the highest hill in Johannesburg. The dinner they cook each night (extra cost) is pretty good too!

I stayed over just one night, but I had a nice time meeting other backpackers. The free pick up also comes in very handy. Thanks!

The hostels was ok and I guess one of the best ones in Johannesburg. Anyway they could get out more of it. They have a nice area but they lock down everything very early. The tours are great but it seems that they try to cheat with their Soweto tour and this tour guide for Soweto tour wants to have extra money for the "community" although I thing he keeps it for himself.

The Place is not in the center of Joburg, which made it, at least for me, perfect. You have a great few over the city while sitting on the terrace or chilling in the pool area, staff is always helpful and try's to find a way to make your stay the best. One negative aspect: one night someone broke into the dorm & stole some stuff like phones etc. security got even better afterwards, but in the end: it's Joburg!

Thanks for the stay! It was easy to arrange pick up from the airport, nice driver and also easy to get a lift to the shuttle bus the next morning, good place to stay.

• 22nd Oct 2015
  • Switzerland

I thought the hostel was well run and the staff were really helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• 13th Oct 2015

This hostel is a one stop shop. It provides free airport pickup, breakfast (cereal, yoghurt & eggs), dinner for 70 Rand, pick up & drop off services around Johannesburg at reasonable rates, tours to Soweto & Apartheid museum, bar, ATM (1000 Rand limit), lovely outdoor seating. Staff are very happy & friendly.

I had a single room for the night which was very small but fine and clean. My only slight issue was that it was called "GLASS" this was because it was basically a conservatory and had a glass roof! This was not too much of a problem as I was getting up early so the light did not bother me but would have done if I had wanted a lie in past sun rise.

View all Johannesburg Hostels