Brown Sugar Backpackers

Very Good 501 Total Reviews

• Sweden, Female, 41+
4th Mar 2017
4.0

The stuff that's working there is really not nice. Totally ignoring me and my friends when we asking for information and you have to ask them to show you around in the houses and the bed was not clean. If you want to have a good time in Johannesburg do you self a favor go somewhere else. 👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

22nd Feb 2017

Good place to stay after you fly into the city as they will pick you up from the airport. Staff was helpful in booking my excursions. Great breakfast every morning. There wasn't much of an atmosphere while I was there but it could have just been during the down season. Overall I would recommend this place.

• kevinxcollins
  • Ireland, Male, 31-40
  • Globetrotter
17th Feb 2017
7.4

cool looking hostel with great breakfast included. free airport pickup was a definite plus too. seemed to be very far away from anything though so not great for walking tours, strolling around the neighbourhood etc. overall was fine for a night, but not enough going on to hold my attention for longer than that.

• England, Female, 18-24
5th Jan 2017

I only stayed here for 1 night but I do wish I could of stayed longer. They have really good facilities - atm, computers, wifi and breakfast is included in the price. Had a nice comfortable stay here and staff were friendly and helpful. When I return to joburg, I will be staying here again.

• Argentina, Female, 31-40
30th Dec 2016
7.4

Very nice hostel, well equipped, comfortable beds, cool pool and barbecue. The only problem is that is really far from everything, you need your own car or to take a taxi, even to go to the supermarket.

• Hong Kong, Female, 25-30
27th Dec 2016
8.0

Nice staff and it is a quiet place to rest.

• Pakistan, Male, 31-40
24th Dec 2016
2.0

I think hostel.com should not book for this pothetic place. I trust hostel.com. but had a very bad experience. Brown Sugar is located in the heart of criminals. You can not even walk out side. Staff is so rude that instead of guiding the guest they try to misguide and loot him. In short it's my advice not to stay here

Dear Muhammad. I had a meeting with my staff regarding the review. Free Pickup: The office informed you to wait at the normal pickup point at the airport and it would take 10-15 minutes only. The driver could not find you, circled around the airport and came back to the hostel. You arrived in a meter taxi shortly after him. The staff member that checked you in informed me that you arrived in a "bad mood" because your phone was stolen (Not on or even outside our premises). We are NOT situated in the heart of criminals as claimed. Our guests walk to the shops daily without problems. After you signed in she tried to orientate and show you around the hostel but you insisted to go straight to your room. When you asked to go to the city you were angry when she suggested a meter taxi or Uber because it was a "ripoff". We have no control over the meter taxi's. You left the next morning. My staff would never misguide or try and "loot" you as claimed and feel this is uncalled for to blame them of any wrong doing when they clearly tried to help you. Safe travels. Liezel - owner

• United Arab Emirates, Female, 31-40
16th Dec 2016
8.0

My stay was pleasant, I enjoyed it. Extra point as Brown Sugar arrange for a pick up. I like the atmosphere and the friendly staffs. However this hostel is a bit far from the city.

• England, Male, 41+
3rd Dec 2016

Great airport pick up service and nice food. Only serve beer in a great wine country??? Why?

22nd Nov 2016
6.9

I felt like this hostel was lacking character. It has so much potential, but its just run down a bit. People don't really stay here to see JO-berg. The stay here to stay here one night, and then leave. If you need a base for Kruger, not a bad choice. I just wasn't feeling this place at all.

Hi Alex. Thanks for the review. I see you only stayed with us for one night. Please feel free to send me an e-mail (sugarbrown@mweb.co.za) on any suggestions where we can improve on our serves or facilities that was not "there" for you. The type and quantity of guests at the hostel also determines the atmosphere and vibe at any hostel. I am sorry that you did not have the best time but maybe we will see you again in the near future and hopefully you will "feel" the place. Kind regards Liezel - owner