Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

June is an amazing host. She will know where to orient you.

• 16th Nov 2014

Very cool place

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Israel

Fine accomodations for a night. The front desk/ receptionist is VERY unfriendly, rude and reluctant to help you with anything. The bar tender seems like he always has something better to do than sell you a drink. Overall decent place to rest for a night but I wouldn't stay here again.

• 8th Nov 2014

great hostel with good facilities and they cooked for us...quite far out though

Clean rooms. Cab to Hard Rock Cafe and to apartheid museum was $20. Pick up from airport was free but you have to call when you get there. Had to pay for can to airport. Staff were friendly an helpful. You can get basic tours from the hostel. It was quiet at night. Hostel was gated so felt safe.

I actually cant understand why a friend of mine recommended this hostel to me. It's not bad at all, but it's not more than average and the location within Joburg is very unpractical. Every venue is at least a 200 Rand Taxi drive away... The included breakfast is a bad joke - sorry, it's true. I've made some hostel/b&b-experiences in South Africa and this "buffet" was a very sad affair...

The staff helped me with planning day trips. Very friendly atmosphere among staff and guests.

• 18th Oct 2014

interesting for 1night, nothing exceptionnal

• 28th Sep 2014

I DONT recommend staying at the Brown Sugar because the staff is extremely rude, unlike all the places we stayed in South Africa where normally people are friendly. The Brown Sugar does not seem to Africa, unfriendly staff. We hired a tour of service in the hostel and an official of the hostel own guide however is that it works in other activities in the hostel and do not have any preparation guide, besides as other employees of the hostel not be anything but willing to help.

Big hostel with good facilities.

This was my second time to stay at Brown Sugar. They are very friendly and welcoming and the ambiance is great. I highly recommend this spot.

A door to the washroom in the ensuite (Palm #4) would be much appreciated

• 28th Aug 2014

Dear Ulrike thank for staying with us. Although this is the first request we had for this room to replace the beads with a solid door. we will most certainly make a point to see to this request in the near future. Regards Liezel - owner

This hostel had great service and was very clean. My only complaint is that it was a bit deserted... I was the only guy staying in the common room (designed for 12 beds!). Not sure why that was (I visited August 26 & 27, 2014)--maybe Johannesburg just isn't popular with young people.

Dear Aman. We had record months in July and August this year and you could have just missed the peak bookings. We normally average between 20-35 guests per night. We were fully booked on 28-31 August and most guests had to check out on the 27th. maybe next time you will catch the crowds. Regards Liezel

it would be nice to have a playlist (eg. spotify) running in the lounge and a quiet outside area rather than the radio that has a lot of fast talking comercial breaks. it would be a more comfortable atmosphere. Loved the food!

We have the local radio stations playing on all the radios. You can however request to play your own playlist, i-pod, mp3 player, USB or SD card in the bar/lounge area at any time. The staff will be more than happy to accommodate your request. We have satellite TV with many radio stations to select from should you visit us again. Regards Liezel

The hostel was very far from the city (or a shopping centre) and it was very expensive to travel anywhere, particularly if you're a solo traveller. The staff weren't overly friendly or helpful, didn't give me a map upon check in or show me around the hostel. The dinner at the hostel was really expensive also. I would never stay here again.

Shari. I am sorry that you had a bad experience. I will have meeting with the staff member that signed you in. Showing you around the hostel is the standard. We have local & city maps and you should have asked for one. We are only 5km from the city. There is cheap taxi's at R9 to the city. We have our own drivers & shuttles and charge R10 or R20 for a single passenger to the shops and local restaurants. Our dinners are only R65 (Meat, Starch, vegetables and salad) a standard 23cm pizza is R55?

Had a great and very short stay at Brown Sugar Backpackers. The location wasnt great but I am not sure how much better it can get without compromising in safety, and their driver was excellent and charged very reasonable rates so it wasn't a problem to get around. Its a very cool building with lots of places to relax and lots of information to help you plan your travels.

First of all I have to say that the staff welcoming us was very nice and helpful! What was just really lacking was cleanliness - of course for the price we paid we didn't expect anything great, but no matter how basic an accommodation would be it can be kept clean, which unfortunately wasn't the case. The house itself and the setup is quite cool and unique and would be a real treasure if kept in better conditions.

• 8th Aug 2014

Meals were offered every night which was nice. Two of the nights we stayed there, school kids were there and they were noisy. The Hostel let us store our stuff there as we made side trips to Cape Town, Livingstone and Kruger Park, which was very convenient for us. They also were available for a fee to take us to various places around town and pick us up, which was also very convenients as we did not have to take taxis.

The hostel is in a very cool structure and relatively close to a lot of interesting places. The rooms were clean, shower was hot, breakfast was adequate. The ability to book a car directly from the hostel without having to hassle with a cab is a definite plus.

• 1st Aug 2014

Incredibly friendly and helpful staff, great place to stay!

View all Johannesburg Hostels