Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

The Brown sugar it's a very nice place, nice staff. I just think the transfer provide from the Brown sugar are a little expensive. Using Uber or even regular taxis are better value.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Accommodation is our main business and we offer competitive transfers that is cheaper than or match meter taxi's. We have cheap public transport 200m from the gate at R10 per trip. If we do not have a driver and vehicle (because we offer a free pick up service, which is the main issue) we suggest alternative options or making use of Uber is a great and often the cheapest for private transfers.

************************************************************* Please ignore these ratings. My trip to South Africa was cancelled so I did not stay at the BSBPs Nowhere in your survey is there a space for me to tell you about the cancellation. I did try to tell you in this section about the cancellation but the questionnaire - time after time was sent back to me telling me to answer the questions!!!!!!!!!! Thank you JP

Lots of great hangout spots at The hostel itself. Staff is helpful with any travel questions you might have. Only drawback is it's a bit far from things to do in Jo-burg but definitely enjoyed my stay

It's a great place, though a little out the way but if you have a car it's fine. The bar is lovely but closes too early, and the night guard is clueless. Awesome free breakfast and very helpful reception staff. I would definitely go back.

Facilities are fine, but the staff are not always nice. They were racist with a friend of mine from ZA, that disappointed me a lot. It is not easy to walk around. They only give you a free ride to the airport or bus station, so you have to pay mandatory for the return one. It is fine if you have you own car. The breakfast was very nice, they even give scrambled eggs. If it is your first time in ZA, better stay around Melville, Soweto or downtown. You will be able to live joburg in an nicer way.

This is a great hostel. The staff really make it, they are fantastic. The wifi is a bit slow, and while the complex has great security but it is average in the dorms- not a problem with the great people I shared with! The pool, bar and outdoor areas are super nice and chill, perfect base to explore Joburg, and the hostel is very helpful with arranging lifts, tours etc. Will stay again for sure!

• 8th Feb 2015

STAFF: The worst thing about the hostel. Unknowledgeable, unfriendly (for the most part), uninformative and lacking (I don’t think I ever went to reception and didn’t have to wait). They tend to grunt and lack basic manners such as ‘thank you’ when paying. They don’t give you any info, for example: the need to order dinner by 18:00. I also had to move rooms half way through my stay.

Dear Daniel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and all because of the bad experience(s) you seemed to have with the staff since the staff has a very high rating. I will follow up on on the circumstances and view camera footage to see what the reason was for you waiting at reception and why you had to move rooms. Regards Liezel - owner

1 2 Next » last »