Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

Felt really safe during our stay. Great Wi-Fi and facilities.

• 29th Apr 2014

It's a great place with lots of potential. It would be a lot better with a good cleaning and some general repairs.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Dear Karen Thanks for the comment and staying with us. I see that you stayed in one of the outside rooms at the back that is scheduled for an upgrade and painting in May 2014. We normally get good rates for the cleanliness and not sure which areas you refer to as it was a general comment? The outside bathrooms are exposed to wind and dust and the cleaning staff leaves at 15h00 and shared bathrooms can cause issues if not kept tidy by other guests. Warm regards Liezel - owner

friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms

• 20th Apr 2014

Helpful and friendly staff. When the bar closed they asked us if we wanted to buy some alcohol and continue the party outside instead. Very much appreciated! Nice breakfirst! Good WIFI. They don't serve lunch and dinner if too few people stay there, but 15 minute walk and you have lots of restaurants to choose from. Possibility to order pizza with free delivery. Will definitly stay here again if I visit Joburg again.

Hi Daniel thanks for staying with us. We sell great PUB LUNCHES daily between 11h45 and 13h45 and we prepare and serve dinners daily from 19h00 to 19h30. I just confirmed on the CCTV cameras that dinners were served on both evenings? Maybe you were too late but next time we see you. Regards Liezel - owner

I only stayed here because I had a flight out of Joberg the next day and it was close to the airport. When I asked for a pickup at the Liseria airport they told me it was not possible, although they advertise pickups on their site. When asked why, they said it was too far and they didn't have enough transportation. Then why even show it as a possibility?

This is a cool hostel, you can read the description about the history on it. Using their shuttle service is a bit pricey unless you have other people who need to travel at the same time. But I found the staff helpful, and enjoyable. The breakfast was really nice, especially since its included. Only downside is you might have to wait at the airport for a while to be picked up. But the beds are comfy and my dorm had its only bathroom in it.

A very fun hostel and a good base in Joburg. We had a car but even without, they do everything they can to make it easy to get out locally. Some of the rooms/bathrooms could do with an update but apparently they are slowly working their way around the hostel to update it. Love the fact there's so much space, a big lounge and balcony, cute verandah and places inside plus a pool. Great atmosphere and they do a good free breakfast as well as lunches and dinners (extra)

Great place to stay with good atmosphere, has everything you would need from a hostel. The only downside, staff are moody and rude. (except the manager she is super nice)

There is everything on offer in this hostel, everything from pub lunch menu to posting postcards on your behalf. The staff are helpful but not overly friendly. Tours available, free breakfast and good wifi. The house is massive and there are plenty of lounge areas. The atmosphere was lacking a bit but it's hard to tell if that was because of the people there at the time. It's a great place to spend a few days relaxing in the middle of a trip.

nice place, a lot of space in the room. bad smell in the room palm 2 , like fish, i don't know where it came from. hygienic standards not too good concerning bathroom and breakfast. apart from that reasonable price and service. very friendly staff, beautiful garden, interesting possibilities for tours right from the hostel.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Austria

I am glad to report that the problem was the leaking toilet in Palm 2 that caused the smell. My plumbers have repaired the toilet and all is back to normal and no more bad odours. My apologies for the inconvenience. All food in the breakfast area is covered and freshly prepared for guests Thanks for staying with us

1 2 Next » last »