Brown Sugar Backpackers Reviews

75 Observatory Avenue, Observatory Extension, Johannesburg, South Africa

First, this hostel is located in the middle of nowhere. So when I arrived and there was no answer at the gate or on the phone I was actually quite worried. Apparently there is only one staff member in the evening and if he steps away for any reason the hostel is completely unstaffed. I had almost given up and was looking for alternative accommodations at 11PM at night when they finally answered their phone. The facility is just not up to the standards of hostels in Europe, Asia, or Australia.

Great hostel with helpful personel!

• 5th May 2015
  • mackanfkp
  • Sweden

A great place to stay.

Cheapest/best option for an airport hotel. Free airport pick-up (call upon arrival--still had to wait 30 mins) in an upmarket neighborhood where I felt safe going for a morning jog. 3 kms to Eastgate Mall but otherwise far from anything. Big place with all the usual backpacker amenities plus a big garden area with a small pool & BBQ--lovely view. Big dorm room--attached toilets/showers--with 2 bunk beds per "cubicle"--but only storage was small cupboard for valuables .On a hill--lots of steps!

Brilliant!

The hostel is located a little outside of the city center, which means it's a little quieter if you are looking for that, but obviously a little harder to get place. Shuttle services worked well. It's slightly cheaper to take the Gautrain, but the shuttle was a lot faster.

I stayed in one of the single rooms and it was all good. The staff is always so friendly and the hostel has a nice atmosphere. When I'm in Johannesburg this is the hostel I always come back to.

quiet and safe, good facilities, and nice people, but not really a party atmosphere after 10pm.

• 27th Mar 2015

Nice place! The single rooms might not be for people with problems to sleep as they are small wooden cabins surrounded by trees and you might hear the rain during the night. But if you like it, great experience! The hostel and its people are lovely and the whole experience was funky. Well-run place. Recommend it!

Stayed there while transiting and then decided to stay there on the way back as well. The location is a bit far from everything but then Jo'burg is huge so you cant really be near everything. The staff is excellent. June, Tina, Solomon and all the rest are all helpful + great company. The airport transfer is free for one way only so its gonan dent your budget on the way back. They have a car to drop you off at practically anywhere you want to go in Jo'burg and that too at cheap rates.

Too bad that they don't offer a free shuttle to the airport...

We offer a FREE pick up service from the OR Tambo Airport or Park Station (Central bus and train station) as part of our services but we have to charge for all other transfers to cover our driver and vehicle expenses.........sorry that you do not understand but trust you had a great stay

Really great hostel. Having an option to get dinner at the hostel is great and the lady who cooks is fantastic, really great food and super friendly. Most of the staff were really nice and helpful and the single rooms are really cute with comfortable beds.

Excellent all around: great staff, great amenities, very clean. . The location isn't within walking distance of a lot, but their shuttle is not expensive and is reliable. One driver picked us up even after his shift was over to avoid any confusion with the next driver's shift.

• 4th Mar 2015

Brown Sugar is a real backpackers hostel. Perfect location in case you are just arrived, or waiting for your flight back home because it is very close to airport. Very interesting design. Friendly atmosphere. Would stay there for sure on my next trip to Johannesburg.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Israel

The Brown sugar it's a very nice place, nice staff. I just think the transfer provide from the Brown sugar are a little expensive. Using Uber or even regular taxis are better value.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Accommodation is our main business and we offer competitive transfers that is cheaper than or match meter taxi's. We have cheap public transport 200m from the gate at R10 per trip. If we do not have a driver and vehicle (because we offer a free pick up service, which is the main issue) we suggest alternative options or making use of Uber is a great and often the cheapest for private transfers.

************************************************************* Please ignore these ratings. My trip to South Africa was cancelled so I did not stay at the BSBPs Nowhere in your survey is there a space for me to tell you about the cancellation. I did try to tell you in this section about the cancellation but the questionnaire - time after time was sent back to me telling me to answer the questions!!!!!!!!!! Thank you JP

Lots of great hangout spots at The hostel itself. Staff is helpful with any travel questions you might have. Only drawback is it's a bit far from things to do in Jo-burg but definitely enjoyed my stay

It's a great place, though a little out the way but if you have a car it's fine. The bar is lovely but closes too early, and the night guard is clueless. Awesome free breakfast and very helpful reception staff. I would definitely go back.

Facilities are fine, but the staff are not always nice. They were racist with a friend of mine from ZA, that disappointed me a lot. It is not easy to walk around. They only give you a free ride to the airport or bus station, so you have to pay mandatory for the return one. It is fine if you have you own car. The breakfast was very nice, they even give scrambled eggs. If it is your first time in ZA, better stay around Melville, Soweto or downtown. You will be able to live joburg in an nicer way.

This is a great hostel. The staff really make it, they are fantastic. The wifi is a bit slow, and while the complex has great security but it is average in the dorms- not a problem with the great people I shared with! The pool, bar and outdoor areas are super nice and chill, perfect base to explore Joburg, and the hostel is very helpful with arranging lifts, tours etc. Will stay again for sure!

• 8th Feb 2015