Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

just that in room 101 we need soap for the last 3 days and cleaning (bins emptied also). Maybe cos i was alone in the room for 3 days. Usually eveything is perfect, so i can't complain. It is the 1st time this is happening in a month. So i still advise every one to come to Bru, good atmosphere.

When booking online I booked a four bed female only room,and on arrival I got put into a four bed mix room, which wasn't what I paid for or asked for.

• 21st Nov 2014

Hi , I am sorry to read your review and find you weren't happy with the allocation of your booking. I have checked back through your booking records and your booking was for a mixed dorm. This may have been a computer error when you initially booked and for this we apologise. Please, if you are ever coming back this way, contact us directly and we will look after you. To all others, please check all bookings confirmations for possible errors. Good luck and happy travels! Ash McRae

Nice place to stay in city center. Buffet was fine. People were welcoming. I can not complain though I am a picky type. Just avoid rooms on 1st floor if you are a light sleeper. I am a heavy one so that was fine after a while I fell asleep anyway. Nice people there too.

Had a great stay here for a stag weekend. Room was clean and tidy (if a little run-down) but exactly what was needed for a stag weekend.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Northern Ireland
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Very nice hostel, above a cool pub, whih i think makes it really easy to meet other poeple and makes a relaxed athmosfère! The staff is really friendly and the rooms are clean and bright. Would definitely go back!!

Does the job

Overall we had a very comfortable stay. Breakfast included, which is your average toast and cereals. The bar downstairs had great music and a cool vibe. However, quite a few things needed to be replaced; toaster, TV, lockers don't actually lock and I'm pretty sure one of the fridges didn't work as is smelled of rotting food.

when I arrived into my room, the floor was quite dirty. with lots of wrappers and bits of paper all over the place. the bed I had been assigned looked like it had been slept in, with the blanket bunched up to one end. and there was bits of leaf and twigs on the sheets. The time I was estimated for the laundry service was grossly inaccurate. The bathroom smelled of mold very badly, I don't think it had been properly cleaned in a long time.

some of the staff were lovely and some didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. The hostel is also a bar on the firs floor which sounds cool, but I disliked how people were smoking in the entrance way and often the entrance was blocked by people smoking. The room was cheap, but small and cramped, and the key cards barely worked - you definitely made your presence known to the other guests as you were attempting to enter the room. The breakfast could barely pass as breakfast. Decent value

• 9th Nov 2014

great time, thanks!

• 8th Nov 2014

The location It's very good, in this town you can walk everywhere and thats fantastic! They have a small Kitchen but It's enough for the people in the hostel.

Very friendly staff and really good value for money.

• 7th Nov 2014

I had a wonderful stay at Bru - it was probably the best hostel I have ever stayed in - mostly due to the friendly and caring staff (I especially remember Aoife and Ray). The only thing small complaint I do have is that the lockers under the beds do not have anything to attach a lock too. Otherwise it was an amazing place, and I cannot wait to go back.

• 6th Nov 2014

we will never forget this 2 nights and my first time in high heels:) thanks to the staff!!!!

the staff was poor,we always have to wait at the recepitation. hardly can pick up wifi sign from anywhere in the hostel.

Always stay at the Bru unless they are full and it's definitely my favourite hostel in Cork. Nice museli for breakfast, fab location, comfy beds and lovely staff. Having a bar downstairs which is after closing only open to residents also makes it a great place to meet people. Highly reccommend!

Hi there! I really liked my stay at your hostel. The only thing I didnt like was the cold in the room during the night. We asked to set the heating, but even we were assure from reception that it had been set, never happened. And I can really recognize whats warm and cold heater. But this is the only clause I have. Kind regards, Gabriela

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Slovakia

Pretty small rooms and the kitchen was very untidy and smelly

No organised activities which was a bit disappointing, i'm not sure if the staff identify themselves as bar staff who check people into a hostel, or hostel employees who pull beers? The bedroom's were nice and the wifi worked, the communal cooking area was great and very sociable, but a confusing hostel to wrap your head around and meet people if you're travelling alone.

The room was clean & comfortable as were the bathrooms. The only negative was there were no curtains on the window, so the adjoining building had a clear view inside the room. Also there is no way to lock the storage facilities they have in the room & a pair of my shoes were stolen by another guest. The hostel itself was average & their breakfast not worth waking up for, but Bru bar was great & I met lots of local people in the bar & had a great time. Would stay here again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7