Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Good location and very handy having an in house bar

Before booking, I rang to check on the information on the web site about Aussies getting 10% off when showing our passport,they said that was true just show us upon arrival. When we arrived the lady was rather rude and said we couldn't have the discount as the hostel was booked out! I wasn't impressed as I went out of my way to double check we could have discount to be told "not today" I wouldn't stay here again. Not the worst but not the best.

Good location near bars and restaurants. Parking is down the street at the train station and costs 9 euros per 24 hrs. Breakfast is very basic with white bread or cereal. Very basic hostel that offers a 10% discount at the bar downstairs.

Wifi was awful and the computers were terribly slow. It's your average hostel, for the moneybit was no better or worse then the others we stayed in.

Did the job but not much atmosphere and the staff were not unfriendly but neither were they particularly welcoming.

Nice hostel with nice bar; everything was very clean. I would stay again!

Great venue and lovely staff. Enjoyed my night there and the bar is always good fun. Thanks to the girls for the lovely sausage BBQ and I know eating is cheating but the food smelled to nice. Overall the venue is very good but the staff make the place a home away from home. Cheers

Location was great, atmosphere was great. They held a free BBQ downstairs which was a nice addition and the bar was a great place as well. My only complaint was the rooms were way too small to fit four people into. Would stay here again!

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting a friend. I had forgotten to swap my key one day and therefore it didn't work when I came back to the hostel at 11:30. The worker inside let me in and kindly gave me a new key. The day I left I had to catch a bus at 7 a.m. therefore I wouldn't have made breakfast in time. The guy on reception fixed up some quick breakfast for me which I really appreciated as I was due for a 3 hour bus journey...all in all I would recommend this place.

• 6th Sep 2014

Key card very unsadisfactory, worked only half the time.

• 3rd Sep 2014

wifi didnt work!!!

Room was small and there was just one toilet and shower for everybody. Good for one night sleeping, but not for longer...

Good breakfast, nice bar

Bar downstairs, use a key card to get into hostel area. Wifi only works in bar and sometimes in the kitchen. Room was small, but that's irrelevant since you want to be seeing the sights right?? Location is close to city center, 5 minute walk. Close to bus and train station.

needs an extra WC for when people are showering in the ensuit, no lockers, but staff is ok and bar downstairs is nice

The bar underneath is great especially when they have lock ins for the residents, showers had a push start and only one temperature and it was way to hot, wifi in rooms is good and the breakfast is fine, kitchen is big and they have lots of stuff to add to your meals

Disgraceful. Filthy.

• 28th Aug 2014

Nice hostel with a pub downstairs. Very nice staff. Location is pretty good, because there are a lot of food places around. City center is close to walk.

Great stay at a nice hostel. Very good atmosphere especially if you're up for a bit of 'craic' etc. The bar is quite nice and always plenty of interesting people to meet even for the solo traveler. Recommended!

• 25th Aug 2014

Very unorganised. I have experienced a few mistakes from the staff who never apologise. They left my stuff in the pub and put them in a garbage because they thought that I didn't pay for the stay. I was able to prove they were wrong thanks to the bill... And let me go back to my room and take back my stuff by myself to the third floor...

• 24th Aug 2014