Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

The owner was very accommodating. As we arrived, we were told that our booking was not as we had thought it was, but he rectified it. The breakfast was quite adequate. The WiFi did not work in the room, but did in the day room. Even though the bar is non smoking, it reeked of cigarette smoke. This is because all the smokers, and there were many, stood right outside the door and the smoke re-enters by the draft and since the owner smokes himself he doesn't notice. Other than that, all is well.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This was a lovely hostel, the bar downstairs and the communal kitchen area provided a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Me and my mother felt safe here and the staff were helpful (even after our stay ended). It is walking distance - 5 minutes, to the centre of the city and situated on a street with local amenities. I now live 2 streets away from the hostel and pass it every morning on my way to work, I will definitely be back in for a beer!

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

great discounts for different things, e.g. tearoom and Queenstown saga in Cobh :) unfortunatelly there are some tings to complain: - molded bread for breakfast (!!!) - butter was out of date, too - very hot room, window was always open - old timetables for visitingpoints in the near of Cork

• 28th Jun 2014

Hi Elisabeth, Thank you for your review. I must apologize for the out of date products placed out for breakfast. This has been highlighted to the relevant staff. Unfortunately, as with a lot of Hostels, air-conditioning in the rooms is simply out of our price range. The timetables were updated at the start of the year but will be looked at again immediately. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Basic accommodation. A good place to stay, though small rooms. So close to the bus station!

Very clean, friendly and central. Enjoyed our stay

We got what we paid for except the laundry service! I brought my laundry down for washing and in the morning it was returned to me as if it had been washed- it hadn't been! Luckily I caught the error and my €5 were returned but had I not payed attention... Not sure about the breakfast because we never saw one. Overall, we enjoyed the city and would probably stay here again because the price was low enough to ovelook any dis omforts we encountered which were very few.

It was pretty much what I expected. Any place with a bar attached is bound to be loud and full of young adults having fun. If you like that, it's great! If you want somewhere peaceful, maybe try somewhere else. But I had zero problems and zero complaints.

Hi Caitlin, Thanks for the review, glad you had fun, hostels are supposed to be a! Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

The Staff are great, very helpful and accommodating (no pun intended). Everyone was friendly and made the stay far more enjoyable. Good entertainment in the evenings, bar discounts, kept very clean and with a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes I'm sure! Highly recommended to any experienced backpacker or newb. Will definitely stay again!

• 23rd Jun 2014

Great place and convenient having a bar downstairs!!! No locks or tops on luggage baskets but it's understandable because the tops sticking under the mattress of bottom bunk make it impossible to pull out if someone is on the bottom bunk! They can store your bags or valuables if you need them too.

Everything was good except for the extremely small dorm room. This was also very hot and you couldn't open the window that much. Also the swipe access card was a bit temperamental.

I was traveling solo but easily met other travelers to hang out with while in Cork. The bar below has live music every night and I caught a pretty good show while there.

This place was brilliant especially the staff . They were probably the best I've encountered in a very long time . Really good attitude . I was with a group and I speak for all . Thanks bru hostel for a fab weekend !

• 21st Jun 2014

Excellent

Great! Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Great, friendly and helpful staff. Really nice place for spending some pleasant days.

Great location and friendly staff. Good bar and food discounts.

Hi, Thanks a lot for the great review. Pleased you enjoyed Bru. Good luck! Ash McRae Manager

Very friendly people and good bar.

really enjoyed the stay and the friendly staff. they even have special beer discounts for the world cup!! all longnecks are €2.

• 16th Jun 2014

Very good laundry-service (cheap and fast!), nice atmosphere because of the Bar downstairs, nice rooms. Good Hostel 👍

Hi , Thanks for the nice review. Guests do love our washing service alright, and while we have been accused of losing a sock or two, everyone knows it's the socks making a detemined effort to be free! So we ask everyone to check there returned laundry for escapees. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Good location, live music every evening, good security

Hi, Thanks for the nice review. Good luck! Ash McRae Manager

It was a good hostel, but I didn't really like the fact that we have to go in the bar to go in the hostel. The rooms and the kitchen were great !

Hi, Thanks for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed Bru. I'm sorry if the hostel side door was not explained to you. This is a room key operated door at the front of the building which bypasses the bar. We will make a point of letting guests know from now on. Best of luck! Ash McRae Manager