Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Does the job

Although it's placed right in downtown Cork and has quite a good atmosphere being also a bar, we were really dissapointed with the hostel. We had a small room, with barely any furniture at all (a couple plastic chairs was all). The room was not very clean, breakfast was simple and there were many noisy neighbours around. So, sorry for BruBar but you have many thing to improve.

Overall we had a very comfortable stay. Breakfast included, which is your average toast and cereals. The bar downstairs had great music and a cool vibe. However, quite a few things needed to be replaced; toaster, TV, lockers don't actually lock and I'm pretty sure one of the fridges didn't work as is smelled of rotting food.

when I arrived into my room, the floor was quite dirty. with lots of wrappers and bits of paper all over the place. the bed I had been assigned looked like it had been slept in, with the blanket bunched up to one end. and there was bits of leaf and twigs on the sheets. The time I was estimated for the laundry service was grossly inaccurate. The bathroom smelled of mold very badly, I don't think it had been properly cleaned in a long time.

some of the staff were lovely and some didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. The hostel is also a bar on the firs floor which sounds cool, but I disliked how people were smoking in the entrance way and often the entrance was blocked by people smoking. The room was cheap, but small and cramped, and the key cards barely worked - you definitely made your presence known to the other guests as you were attempting to enter the room. The breakfast could barely pass as breakfast. Decent value

great time, thanks!

• 8th Nov 2014

The location It's very good, in this town you can walk everywhere and thats fantastic! They have a small Kitchen but It's enough for the people in the hostel.

Very friendly staff and really good value for money.

• 7th Nov 2014

I had a wonderful stay at Bru - it was probably the best hostel I have ever stayed in - mostly due to the friendly and caring staff (I especially remember Aoife and Ray). The only thing small complaint I do have is that the lockers under the beds do not have anything to attach a lock too. Otherwise it was an amazing place, and I cannot wait to go back.

• 6th Nov 2014

we will never forget this 2 nights and my first time in high heels:) thanks to the staff!!!!

the staff was poor,we always have to wait at the recepitation. hardly can pick up wifi sign from anywhere in the hostel.

Always stay at the Bru unless they are full and it's definitely my favourite hostel in Cork. Nice museli for breakfast, fab location, comfy beds and lovely staff. Having a bar downstairs which is after closing only open to residents also makes it a great place to meet people. Highly reccommend!

Hi there! I really liked my stay at your hostel. The only thing I didnt like was the cold in the room during the night. We asked to set the heating, but even we were assure from reception that it had been set, never happened. And I can really recognize whats warm and cold heater. But this is the only clause I have. Kind regards, Gabriela

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Slovakia

Pretty small rooms and the kitchen was very untidy and smelly

No organised activities which was a bit disappointing, i'm not sure if the staff identify themselves as bar staff who check people into a hostel, or hostel employees who pull beers? The bedroom's were nice and the wifi worked, the communal cooking area was great and very sociable, but a confusing hostel to wrap your head around and meet people if you're travelling alone.

The room was clean & comfortable as were the bathrooms. The only negative was there were no curtains on the window, so the adjoining building had a clear view inside the room. Also there is no way to lock the storage facilities they have in the room & a pair of my shoes were stolen by another guest. The hostel itself was average & their breakfast not worth waking up for, but Bru bar was great & I met lots of local people in the bar & had a great time. Would stay here again.

The location is really good, very close the the bus station and the city centre, but the kitchen was really small, and to do the check-in you have to cross trought the bar. Bedrooms are quite good, clean and quite.

the hostel is well located but too busy and noisy . The bedroom and bathroom were not clean.

Security card never works, staff are often rude, can't drink in the kitchen because of the bar downstairs....

Very clean hostel and a lot of pass-card entry doors (which I can only assume were secure) but my 4 bed dorm was very small and stuffy and the vibe in the hostel was a bit strange - seemed to be a lot of people staying there who were long-timers looking for jobs/working part-time etc & not many people looking to chat/interact/hang-out (typical case of everyone surfing Facebook rather than interacting). Positives: location, price, cleanliness. Negatives: small rooms/common space, stuffy, no vibe