Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Very good value for money. Excellent location, nice staff, comfy mattress. Basic breakfast but for the price I wouldn't expect much more. Besides, they have excellent cooking facilities so no complaints. Well done.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Poland

It was very nice. We only slept one night there. But one bad thing: The kitchen towels were disgusting and the plates and cups dirty.

• 29th Nov 2014

noisy on friday night with people shouting all night (and mainly from 3 to 5) the room next to us so we could not manage sleeping

• 28th Nov 2014

STILL MY FAVORITE HOSTEL IN CORK, NOT A HOTEL,WHICH IS WHY ITS GREAT. YOU GET TO MEET LOCALS VISITORS AND TOURISTS. IT HAS A BANGING MUSIC SCENE FEATURING CONTEMPERORY MUSICIANS (DONT EXPECT TO HEAR RIVERDANCE OR OTHER TOURISTY STUFF) ITS THE BEST PLACE TO STAY IN CORK. IT SHOUALD BE NOTED THAT THE CAPPUCINO HAS IMPROVED SINCE MY LAST STAY (THANK YOU MARIA) AND ALL ROUND GREAT VALUE. IN EVERY REVIEW THERE HAS TOBE A NEGATIVE POINT, I'M WORKIING ON IT, MAYBE I'LL DISCOVER IT ON MY NEXT VISIT

My stay in room 201 was great, clean room and bathroom, nice people. I still have bookings planned. I will keep enjoying the place for a while. The location is good. Bathroom clean as always. Nice people in my room too. I will keep you posted on my next booking too. Good place to meet great people and to live on a low budget. I forgot to mention last time, trhey wash you clothes for 5 euros, and it is really worth it your clothers smell very very good after their wash

So many dodgy looking people hanging around the hostel- I think some of them even live here. Half of the people in the bar down stairs looked like homeless people

just that in room 101 we need soap for the last 3 days and cleaning (bins emptied also). Maybe cos i was alone in the room for 3 days. Usually eveything is perfect, so i can't complain. It is the 1st time this is happening in a month. So i still advise every one to come to Bru, good atmosphere.

Hi Melodie, Apologies that there has been no soap added to your room. As you are still staying here in the hostel it would have been a bit easier to walk down the stairs to leave us know and we given you all you need. Kind regards, Aoife.

The two of reception are very nice people, especially the blue hair girl.

Staff were mostly cool, hostel attached to a happening music venue of a pub, this was its best feature by far. Rooms were average, kitchen was ok, cleanliness was ok. It was a great place to spend a couple days. Would stay again. Affordable, good value. Cheers.

The staff were very friendly and good craic! They treated us a group of 6 college students so well, even the first night our friend made noise, and a complaint was made about us but the staff handled things very well with us. Very central place and would recommend and go there again! Has all the facilities and massive kitchen! Very safe there as needed a key to get in and there is cameras. Also very clean!

• 21st Nov 2014

When booking online I booked a four bed female only room,and on arrival I got put into a four bed mix room, which wasn't what I paid for or asked for.

• 21st Nov 2014

Hi , I am sorry to read your review and find you weren't happy with the allocation of your booking. I have checked back through your booking records and your booking was for a mixed dorm. This may have been a computer error when you initially booked and for this we apologise. Please, if you are ever coming back this way, contact us directly and we will look after you. To all others, please check all bookings confirmations for possible errors. Good luck and happy travels! Ash McRae

Nice place to stay in city center. Buffet was fine. People were welcoming. I can not complain though I am a picky type. Just avoid rooms on 1st floor if you are a light sleeper. I am a heavy one so that was fine after a while I fell asleep anyway. Nice people there too.

Had a great stay here for a stag weekend. Room was clean and tidy (if a little run-down) but exactly what was needed for a stag weekend.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Northern Ireland
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Very nice hostel, above a cool pub, whih i think makes it really easy to meet other poeple and makes a relaxed athmosfère! The staff is really friendly and the rooms are clean and bright. Would definitely go back!!

Does the job

Although it's placed right in downtown Cork and has quite a good atmosphere being also a bar, we were really dissapointed with the hostel. We had a small room, with barely any furniture at all (a couple plastic chairs was all). The room was not very clean, breakfast was simple and there were many noisy neighbours around. So, sorry for BruBar but you have many thing to improve.

Overall we had a very comfortable stay. Breakfast included, which is your average toast and cereals. The bar downstairs had great music and a cool vibe. However, quite a few things needed to be replaced; toaster, TV, lockers don't actually lock and I'm pretty sure one of the fridges didn't work as is smelled of rotting food.

when I arrived into my room, the floor was quite dirty. with lots of wrappers and bits of paper all over the place. the bed I had been assigned looked like it had been slept in, with the blanket bunched up to one end. and there was bits of leaf and twigs on the sheets. The time I was estimated for the laundry service was grossly inaccurate. The bathroom smelled of mold very badly, I don't think it had been properly cleaned in a long time.

some of the staff were lovely and some didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. The hostel is also a bar on the firs floor which sounds cool, but I disliked how people were smoking in the entrance way and often the entrance was blocked by people smoking. The room was cheap, but small and cramped, and the key cards barely worked - you definitely made your presence known to the other guests as you were attempting to enter the room. The breakfast could barely pass as breakfast. Decent value

great time, thanks!