Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

The two of reception are very nice people, especially the blue hair girl.

Staff were mostly cool, hostel attached to a happening music venue of a pub, this was its best feature by far. Rooms were average, kitchen was ok, cleanliness was ok. It was a great place to spend a couple days. Would stay again. Affordable, good value. Cheers.

The staff were very friendly and good craic! They treated us a group of 6 college students so well, even the first night our friend made noise, and a complaint was made about us but the staff handled things very well with us. Very central place and would recommend and go there again! Has all the facilities and massive kitchen! Very safe there as needed a key to get in and there is cameras. Also very clean!

• 21st Nov 2014

When booking online I booked a four bed female only room,and on arrival I got put into a four bed mix room, which wasn't what I paid for or asked for.

• 21st Nov 2014

Hi , I am sorry to read your review and find you weren't happy with the allocation of your booking. I have checked back through your booking records and your booking was for a mixed dorm. This may have been a computer error when you initially booked and for this we apologise. Please, if you are ever coming back this way, contact us directly and we will look after you. To all others, please check all bookings confirmations for possible errors. Good luck and happy travels! Ash McRae

Nice place to stay in city center. Buffet was fine. People were welcoming. I can not complain though I am a picky type. Just avoid rooms on 1st floor if you are a light sleeper. I am a heavy one so that was fine after a while I fell asleep anyway. Nice people there too.

Had a great stay here for a stag weekend. Room was clean and tidy (if a little run-down) but exactly what was needed for a stag weekend.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Northern Ireland
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Very nice hostel, above a cool pub, whih i think makes it really easy to meet other poeple and makes a relaxed athmosfère! The staff is really friendly and the rooms are clean and bright. Would definitely go back!!

Does the job

Although it's placed right in downtown Cork and has quite a good atmosphere being also a bar, we were really dissapointed with the hostel. We had a small room, with barely any furniture at all (a couple plastic chairs was all). The room was not very clean, breakfast was simple and there were many noisy neighbours around. So, sorry for BruBar but you have many thing to improve.

Overall we had a very comfortable stay. Breakfast included, which is your average toast and cereals. The bar downstairs had great music and a cool vibe. However, quite a few things needed to be replaced; toaster, TV, lockers don't actually lock and I'm pretty sure one of the fridges didn't work as is smelled of rotting food.

when I arrived into my room, the floor was quite dirty. with lots of wrappers and bits of paper all over the place. the bed I had been assigned looked like it had been slept in, with the blanket bunched up to one end. and there was bits of leaf and twigs on the sheets. The time I was estimated for the laundry service was grossly inaccurate. The bathroom smelled of mold very badly, I don't think it had been properly cleaned in a long time.

some of the staff were lovely and some didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. The hostel is also a bar on the firs floor which sounds cool, but I disliked how people were smoking in the entrance way and often the entrance was blocked by people smoking. The room was cheap, but small and cramped, and the key cards barely worked - you definitely made your presence known to the other guests as you were attempting to enter the room. The breakfast could barely pass as breakfast. Decent value

great time, thanks!

• 8th Nov 2014

The location It's very good, in this town you can walk everywhere and thats fantastic! They have a small Kitchen but It's enough for the people in the hostel.

Very friendly staff and really good value for money.

• 7th Nov 2014

I had a wonderful stay at Bru - it was probably the best hostel I have ever stayed in - mostly due to the friendly and caring staff (I especially remember Aoife and Ray). The only thing small complaint I do have is that the lockers under the beds do not have anything to attach a lock too. Otherwise it was an amazing place, and I cannot wait to go back.

• 6th Nov 2014

we will never forget this 2 nights and my first time in high heels:) thanks to the staff!!!!

the staff was poor,we always have to wait at the recepitation. hardly can pick up wifi sign from anywhere in the hostel.

Always stay at the Bru unless they are full and it's definitely my favourite hostel in Cork. Nice museli for breakfast, fab location, comfy beds and lovely staff. Having a bar downstairs which is after closing only open to residents also makes it a great place to meet people. Highly reccommend!

Hi there! I really liked my stay at your hostel. The only thing I didnt like was the cold in the room during the night. We asked to set the heating, but even we were assure from reception that it had been set, never happened. And I can really recognize whats warm and cold heater. But this is the only clause I have. Kind regards, Gabriela

• 4th Nov 2014