Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Location is great, particularly for bus station. The rooms and bathroom were very nice and clean. Wifi in the rooms as well. The front entrance is a bit strange as you have to walk through the bar to get to reception. They have deals for ppl staying in the hostel at the bar.

Overall the hostel was fine, but on the low end of fine. The staff, while friendly, were extremely slow! This was from multiple encounters with 3 different people, not just a one-off. They also advertise that drinks are 10% off but Mark them up. Good location because close to train station and not too far from the City Center.

• 4th Jun 2014

Hi Deborah, Thanks for the review and apologies for the holdup's! This will be discussed at a pre summer staff meeting next week. Customer service staff and management need to look at the quality of service provided regularly and we are no different. We give guests a 10% discount on all drinks in the bar (specials excluded) Sunday to Thursday. Our prices are on a par with the majority of Cork city bars. They have to be as a lot of our customers are locals. Best regards, Ash McRae Manager

I was happy I stayed in that hostel. Location is perfect, close to the busstop as well as to the city center. I stayed in a four-bed-dorm. It was quiet, well equipted and clean. A cleaning lady came around in the morning. The kitchen area / common room / breakfast room was good, too, and you can also hang out in the pub.

Hi, Thank you for the wonderful review. This is exactly what we hope our guests feel about the place, you explained it brilliantly! Good luck! Ash McRae Manager

Key card doesn't properly works. Would be nice to chance them

Hi Benoit, The room keys are of the card swipe variety and while they have given them a bit of an upgrade, we admit that after 10 years they need replacing. Not a cheap exercise but we are saving for it! Sorry if you hit a door being repeatedly unhelpful. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

I liked Bru Bar & Hostels very much, it's close to the centre, just few minutes walking. The staff is kind and very helpful, and I met lots of nice people there, so I definitively enjoyed my stay.

It's a very nice hostel, very close to the train station!

Hi Anna, Thanks for the review! Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Having your own bathroom for each room was really nice, especially because there were only two of us in a room of four. Breakfast is pretty standard for a hostel. The location was perfect--literally across the bridge from the bus station and town center. Being above a bar was really great for meeting people, the music wasn't great but drinks were cheap.

Hi Hannah, Thanks for the nice review, you have covered everything in very few words, something I seem to struggle with! I see you stayed on the night Mode music was on. This is a night for students studying music in university's in town to come in and do their thing, sometimes great, sometimes as per your review! Best of luck, Ash McRae Manager

Booked for two nights but had to change bed after one night for some reason, wasn't allowed to stay in the same bed.. That was confusing. Key cards didn't work well. Would have liked to see more smile from the staff. Otherwise ok. Basic hostel with a bar down stairs.

Hi Helena, Sorry you had to move beds. This can happen if you book only 1 day in advance as older bookings get priority. I know it's hard to book ahead as it can be great to travel in a relaxed and spontaneous way but if booking last min for several nights, drop a line and check the bed situation. That way at least you'll know. This is especially important in the areas high season. Best regards, Ash McRae Manager

Decent room with good showers. Wifi in the rooms. Not a bad thing but a heads up for others, lots of stairs around the place but friendly staff, good location only 5minute walk to the Main Street and coach station. Too easy!

Hi Stef, Thanks for the great review! Yep, it's all stairs at the Bru, but hey, it's a great way to get a bit of exercise in AND build up a thirst! We will, of course, carry any big bags up or down for people so don't be afraid to ask. Good Luck, Ash McRae Manager

Not bad, although the rooms were TINY. Couldn't swing a cat. Also there were no lockers which was pretty inconvenient. The staff weren't particularly outgoing or inviting. Overall atmosphere was pretty good though. Good kitchen and facilities. Met some great people here.

Very nice hostel, I recommend this place! I was afraid of the noise from the bar but I slept without a problem. A bathroom carpet and some shelves would be nice :)

• 17th May 2014

Great hostel! Enjoyed the bar, the room and the breakfast. It was extremely close to the bus station as well.

I'm not a fan of this hostel, but I also didn't really care for Cork. The hostel is directly above a bar, and our room ended up being right about the front entrance. Noise and thumping aside, you get huge wafts of everyone's smoke through the windows. The hostel has card keys, but they only worked about 25% of the time. You just keep trying, or follow someone in. They also had a side door to go in, but it was blocked, so you have to enter through the bar. Also, timed showers. Really?

I enjoyed my stay at Bru Bar. Lots going on but rather quiet when no events were being held.

Lockers in the rooms would be a good addition.

• 14th May 2014

The bar downstairs is cool and staff was really nice upon reception.

Strong chlorine type cleaner used stunk room out

Small room, had to share a bed, not many breakfast options. It's nice that there is a good bar with good live music downstairs

Great staff, very helpful and informative. We really enjoyed the in house pub and pool table.

It was a nice hostel, the location was good. The rooms were a bit small but i had a really good time.