Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

This was a terrible hostel

• 3rd Oct 2014

really nice contact beforehand because of our somewhat difficult booking requirements (one of us was there 4 days before the other but we wanted to share a room which wasn't a problem at all); it was my third stay and I would stay again when coming back to Cork.

• 1st Oct 2014

All staff members were friendly throughout from cleaning personal to managers and cooperative at any problem. As an example, I asked them whether they would contribute in some kitchen knives, that I wanted to buy (the only thing that was missing in a really well-assorted hostel-kitchen) and they told me, they would buy them (and a sharpening steel) via their own company. Until then, we were allowed to borrow ones at the front-desk for cooking at any time. The front desk was manned 24 / 7 !

• 30th Sep 2014

All in all not a bad hostel, not outstanding either. The beds were really crammed into the 6 bed dorm with no room for maneuvering and only 1 socket. Wifi and breakfast were both decent, not great. Staff were polite but not overly friendly. The place was kept clean. It's a decent hostel at a good price.

overall great hostel but breakfast was very poor, a small fruit selection and yogurt would have made a big difference

• 29th Sep 2014

Room itself was fine but changing keys every day was a pain, especially when they randomly stop working. Breakfast wasn't worth the time to walk downstairs. Overall the stay was only ok.

Awesome variety on the live music down in the bar. All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the managers

The staff was excellent, very very friendly and helpful. However, the dorm-room and kitchen area were sub-par and not very clean. As a result we opted to lose money and not stay for the second night booked. There was no way to look up valuables in the room and the bathroom had silverfish bugs all over the place. The kitchen did not seem to be very clean and the milk tasted kind of funny. This hostel seemed to be way overpriced for what we got in comparison to other hostels we stayed at.

Incredible location close to the city center, public transportation and other tourist attractions, the bar below is a great time with live music every night, but if the bar isn't your scene you won't be bothered by it! Very clean and comfortable place to stay with cages under beds to store your things! They even offer a laundry service for €5, which we took advantage of. When you stay you get a discount at the bar and a few restaurants close by! Can't recommend this place enough!!

There wasn't anything special about this hostel, one swipe pad never worked and wifi was a joke. Don't expect any signal in your room, you have to stay in the kitchen/tv room(not all bad as you meet people that way.)

• 15th Sep 2014

The Bru Hostel worked out well for my son and I. The staff were particularly friendly and accommodating.

• 13th Sep 2014

Very unusual hostel, enjoyed it here thoroughly! Very clean rooms, a bit noisy though (but what hostel isn't?).

Great location, and a nice bar downstairs with cheap beer- not so easy to find in Ireland! Doors were a bit flimsy, some were just left open and unlocked. Only one bathroom for 3 dorms to use. Good, well-stocked kitchen. Would recommend!

Good location and very handy having an in house bar

Before booking, I rang to check on the information on the web site about Aussies getting 10% off when showing our passport,they said that was true just show us upon arrival. When we arrived the lady was rather rude and said we couldn't have the discount as the hostel was booked out! I wasn't impressed as I went out of my way to double check we could have discount to be told "not today" I wouldn't stay here again. Not the worst but not the best.

Hi, Thats horrific! I have refunded the 10% discount to your card. So sorry! The staff member probably had a bad day and was having trouble in the being nice department. We will chat. Best of luck Ash McRae Manager.

Good atmosphere in the bar a few of the doors were really annoying with the cards and sometimes certain doors were left open (not super security). Had a good stay here though was a relaxed and bubbly atmosphere.

Good location near bars and restaurants. Parking is down the street at the train station and costs 9 euros per 24 hrs. Breakfast is very basic with white bread or cereal. Very basic hostel that offers a 10% discount at the bar downstairs.

Good hostel. Unfortuanetely it is in a bit of a sketchy area, but it is close to the city center. The staff is very nice and in the bar downstairs takes place a different event every day of the week.

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome !!! Best hostel ever in Cork !!!!

• 8th Sep 2014

Wifi was awful and the computers were terribly slow. It's your average hostel, for the moneybit was no better or worse then the others we stayed in.