Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Bru Bar in Cork is excellent - the beds are comfortable, the staff is fantastic, and the atmosphere couldn't be better. Open Mic night laid a few eggs, but that only added to the experience. I'd definitely recommend staying here.

Yeah was good. Bar is pretty decent yet grimey. Has a pool table. Everyone was friendly. Bar opens till late... Really late. Really really late. Would stay again... But can't see myself ever going back to cork.

The amenities are very basic. I only stayed for one night so I didn't have the full experience but the entrance was through the bar since the other entrance was BLOCKED by bar patrons. It felt a bit cramped and a bit loud down there.

It was very disgusting that the bedding was not changed when new guests arrived.

This is an amazing hostel! The staff are extremely helpful and the location is close to what you'll need to see. I was travelling alone and I was able to meet a great bunch of people my first night there. I also felt very safe there. I have nothing bad to say about this hostel other than the commons area is only open till 12 but the bar is open late! I would highly recommend this hostel!

Close to train

Great location, met lots of people and had a great time. One of the best hostels I stayed in.

I stayed at a 4bed female dorm which was a tiny space. In between beds you could just about turn around. En-suite bathroom was nice and clean but very small, too. Bru Bar didn't quite have the hostel-feeling as the lobby was seperated from the other parts like the rooms, so it wasn't easy meeting people. It's ok, but nothing special.

Definitely not for people over 25, go there if you want to party, not if you want to sleep (if you want to party it's an awesome place though).

• 4th Aug 2014

We thought this was one of the nicer hostels we stayed in through Ireland, which surprised us since the first impression whe we walked into the dark bar wasn't great. The rooms upstairs were clean with a good amount of space and the kitchen was extremely clean. Some nice bonuses too like half off pizza down the street. Staff were great, and we couldn't hear noise from the bar at all.

Way too expensive for what it is! The bathroom reeked of bleach, there was mold in the windows, the shower door was broken and you couldn't adjust the water temperature in the shower. You also had to pay for the towels. The bar downstairs is way too expensive. I paid 8 euros for a beer which is ridiculous. This is a hostel and not a five star hotel. I would not stay there again. Maybe for 10 euros, but not 25.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Poland

I will stay there again - lovely bar with live music in the evening

Got very hot in the rooms at night!

• 1st Aug 2014

Had no trouble finding the hostel- it is above a lively pub but we didn't find it noisy or have difficultly sleeping. The beds were comfortable, breakfast included and staff very helpful.

Great place to stay!

• 31st Jul 2014

Had a fantastic stay at Bru Bar! Lovely staff, comfy bed, awesome bar downstairs and right next to bus station, train station and town centre! Even met a few fellow kiwis there which was nice, would definitely go back again! Hi to Zoe and the rest of the Dunedin crew there!

The 6 bed dorm was tiny and it's been like 35 degrees in the room.

The atmosphere is great in the bar and the staff is friendly. My stay was great aside from the bathrooms getting unbearably hot and muggy, the ventilation was horrible. The location is great though, just across the river from the town center, close enough to walk pretty much anywhere.

Hi Gabrielle, Thanks for the review. We're really glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us :-) Unfortunately the bathrooms can get a little hot sometimes, especially during the rare hot summer we had! We are currently updating our ventilation system. We hope to see you again at some stage should you return to Cork. Kind reagrds, Maria.

This is a good hostel for people wanting blasting music till into the night and the smell of alcohol and smoke throughout the rooms and hallways. Yes, there is a bar in the lobby and with that...the smell permeates throughout the building. There are signs posted every 5 meters warning people not to smoke...but that doesn't stop anyone from smoking and it's really bad. Having said all of that, I met wonderful people and the staff were very kind to chat with.

Good all round Hostel but don't expect too much. Great bar! Showers were virtually unusable and a lot of the promotional signs around the hostel were not accurate (staff were sometimes narky when you asked about them too!), but despite this it is an enjoyable place to stay. Good for meeting people (including locals) in the bar!