Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

We had a great time! If you want to have a fun time in Cork, this is the hostel to stay at! Great music and a cheap bar! It's worth a trip to Cork just to stay at Bru! If you are looking for something more low key, then I would ask to stay on one of the top floors, due to the music. Other than that it is a fantastic time!! A++

• 27th Oct 2015

Unbelievable atmosphere coupled with friendly staff and ideal location only 2 minutes from bus & train station. I would stay there again in a heart beat. Really enjoyed it :-)

• 26th Oct 2015

There are no lockers in the room. Only rolling cages under beds but no way to close and lock it. I have two locks with me and my backpack can lock so it wasn't that bad for me but, if you need to lock don't stay here. Other than that it was good. The bed was good and clean. There is a bar on the ground floor but that doesn't influence the rest of the hostel. Pretty good wifi. Just across the river from the bus station. Everything is within walking distance.

• 21st Oct 2015

Nice hostel. Would've been nice to have lockers in the rooms and power points close to each bed.

The one staff member doubles as a bartender, so takes forever to get anything done. Especially with all the seedy locals hustling pool. More like a half way house than a hostel.

Excellent value. Would stay here again every time

It was very good stay, near to the of cork

• 17th Oct 2015
  • Croatia

Good location, helpful registration desk. Breakfast area needs better signage, e.g. images as well as text for crockery and utensils drawers etc.

• 17th Oct 2015

As a solo female traveler I did not feel comfortable in a hostel connected to a bar that serves primarily men. It is also a place where people stay if they work in cork. I met 3 people doing this because there is no housing in the city. I had to leave my first room because the guy below me woke me up in the middle of the night because he made me food and insisted I eat it. The staff were very helpful in moving me that night. The breakfast area does not have enough seats. Showers are bad.

Small rooms. Great kitchen.

• 10th Oct 2015

The staff at Bru Hostel was outstanding. There was someone at the desk 24/7 and they even offered to keep our valuables protected behind the counter. I felt very safe and had a great time hanging out at the bar on the ground floor. I was shocked the noise from the busy pub was not noticeable upstairs in the rooms. The location was great, just a little bit north of the main drag of Cork. It was also right down the street from both bus and train stations and only 15 minutes from the airport.

• 9th Oct 2015

Great hostel with an awesome bar downstairs! Close from everything.

Good location and really friendly staff, would stay here again!

Completely billigerent students/ young adults here partying for the weekend. Stayed only a weekday initially and extended to Friday. Walls are paper thin and people were constantly slamming doors and screaming. Staff is nice and did respond when I went to the bar downstairs at 4am to file a noise complaint but sucked having to get out of bed after an hour of listening to people returning from the bar. Noise settled down at 4:30am. If you want to sleep any earlier than this do not book here.

I spent one night at this Hostel in a 4 Bed-Mixed Room. Everything was just fine, the bed was comfortable and quite. The bath is just outside the room and there is one for each one. Clean and good. The bar itself was very cool, we had live-music at night and also a lot of locals not just people from the hostel. So very nice.

This was a lovely hostel.Room was spacious and clean and ensuite was great to have. It was the perfect spot for a single traveler, especially with the nightly live music. I enjoyed it very much. The only negative would be the limited wifi access - only available in one or two areas - but according to notices posted, this is being addressed.

• 6th Oct 2015

6 bed dorm was quite small. Plus blankets had stains on them. Other than that no complaints. Everything else was fine.

Best hostel in Cork. Very easygoing and friendly staff. The cleaners are a credit to the place - it was immaculate! Sheila's Hostel need to seriously up their game.

One of the better hostels I've stayed at. Had such a great experience that we decided to extend the stay for longer. The staff were all very kind and nice, got help with my luggage up to my room. I stayed in a 3 bed private room which was kinda small but did the job. If I was able to extend my booking longer I would. Place fills up fast. I also had no problems leaving my food in the kitchen.

• 2nd Oct 2015

Very good location in Cork. More suitable for "party people" as the hostel is just above a bar that plays music every day. My experience was that people there were nice but loud and coming back to the room in the middle of the night mostly every night.