Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

the rooms were very small, too many beds in a small space

could not be better!!

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • Austria

Decent hostel although it can be noisy do to the bar downstairs and main street out front. This is the place to go if your wanting to drink and party. The overall atmosphere lacked warmth though and it's not a great place for solo travelers.

Wifi didn't work in my room or in the bar. The room was kept clean, breakfast was super light. Felt like the hostel was deserted in the common areas a lot Of the time. (Excluding the bar) other than that, it was pretty average.

The Hostel had a sign that gave the impression of bribing guests with a free drink if they gave a good review of the hostel. The Hostel was decent, but not as good as reviews suggested, which might be because of the bribe for a good review.

No heat. Lame showers that go off every 30 seconds or so. Very loud music every night. Private doublé room was clean enough, but very cold. Kitchen facilities are very good.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Argentina

Best hostel I have ever stayed in. I had the best weekend because of the other guests and the staff at this hostel. It was class.

• 11th Apr 2014

It was very clean, the staff were the best, really helpful and nice and they have 2 pc with free internet (a bit slow, but doesn't matter when you don't have an Ipad). The breakfast was great and the location was also very good. Near the train station and the bus station. The street with pubs was like 10 minutes by walking, but the hostel has a really good bar, with live music every day and a disccount for the people who are staying in the hostel I would stay here again and i recommend it.

The room was too small, no space to put my things, no locker, and not that clean. The doors in the rooms are not the proper ones, every time anyone gets in to his room the doors make too much noise, and it's not anyone's fault, it's the door system! Makes it impossible to sleep with people get in and out all night long.

Worst hostel experience i've ever had. Including hostels throughout Europe and South East Asia. When booking i realised there was a bar downstairs and didn't mind but did not know classics such as "Barbie Girl" and "Girls just wanna have fun" would be playing on repeat very loudly until 7:30am. My room was directly above the bar. Additionally, i am not sure if this place is a "Half way house", but the guy in our room was clearly on a come down. Terrible experience and wouldn't recommend.

• 6th Apr 2014

A very memorable trip! Staff were amazing, we were rooming with two very lovely people, the bar downstairs was a great way to unwind after a stressful day, and the security was top class! I am recommending the Bru to all my pals, and hope to have more nights out there in the future!

• 2nd Apr 2014

I was traveling by myself, and I had a great time! It was easy to walk anywhere in Cork, plus there were places to eat nearby. The pub that is attached was a fun place to meet people, grab a pint, and listen to live music! My room was clean.

I was happy to stay here again at the end of my trip around Ireland. The rooms might not be the most comfortable ones (some rooms are just too small and too hot), but it's a hostel where it's very easy to meet people. Either in the bar, or in the kitchen area. Loved it.

Great hostel very near to city centre. There is a pub within the hostel with awesome food/drink deals as well as live music! And just in case you are worried, at least in our dorm room there was no issue about noise, we could sleep very well.

This hostel is advertised as voted the 7th best hostel in the world by hostelworld.com. Not sure why this is. Postive things: (Security) Need keycard for several doors to rooms. Underbed storage baskets in rooms, but they do not lock. (Location) Short walk to downtown and to/from train station. (Price) Cheap dorms. Negative things: Small kitchen and TV room. TV doesn't work anyway.Staff did not know how to repair. Cold water in showers. Full bar on 1st floor but full of locals, not guests.

This hostel is in a great location with decent beds, but I'd never suggest it to anyone that's visiting Cork for an actual holiday...only a piss up. The staff weren't over helpful at all and as they were also the bartenders, demanded tips and weren't even friendly after we obliged. Our booking was mixed up and we had to split apart and change rooms half way through. Girls dorm bed wasn't cleaned and smelled bad. To say the least, don't expect much from this hostel except a roof and toast.

• 15th Mar 2014

I had the most fun staying at this hostel than I did anywhere else. The hostel is centrally located right next to the river and the bus station. It is a bar and hostel (obviously) but they kick everyone out who isn't staying at the hostel and then the hostel visitors kept partying till really late. The staff was young and friendly, facilities were good, and atmosphere was welcoming. Definitely recommend people to stay here.

Great location, so close to the bus station. I found the room to be quite loud in the hallways because many people come back late at night totally drunk and loud. Thin walks! Haha but overall not bad, clean and bathroom was clean.

I had a really good weekend in this place. It was packed with a mixture of backpackers, regulars and some stag groups. Every night the bar had something special; a band, a dj or a singer. They also showed all the big football and rugby matches. The hostel itself is not very exciting though. Small rooms with a lot of beds crammed together into them. No lockers available in the dorms. For every single door you'll need your wipe card though, so I suppose it's safe enough.