Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

This was a pretty good hostel, really close to the main bus station. All the rooms were ensuite with the bathrooms. It was nice to have a bar downstairs and they had live music every night.

This hostel is good to stay at for a couple of nights. The room was clean and smelt of bleach. The bar downstairs is quite small and dark but quite convenient. The tv room had good wifi reception, however the room didn't. The hostel is a short walk away from the centre of the city.

Nice hostel, close to stations, bar downstaires was loud, though.

The hostel is awesome. The staff was really nice and helpful. The only thing that I didn't liked, that there is not enough light in the tv room. It's a bit depressing.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Hungary

We stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend and had a great time The bar downstairs is a great place to chill and drinks are the cheapest in cork with weekly specials ! The kitchen was well equipped and large and the breakfast served was handy The rooms were nothing special but the beds super comfy and having a bathroom in the room was great Definitely recommend

Dirty and not well equipped kitchen. A guy snoring in my room (I know the hostel is not too blame)

Stayed here for a nite as the 1st day of arrival in ireland on a weekday. Thx for the friendly staff. Wifi works well in the big mixed dorm on the 3/F n wasnt that noisy even theres a bar. Thx again!

This was a terrible hostel

• 3rd Oct 2014

Best location to explore Cork by day and night. Right by city center. Friendly staff, having a bar on the first floor is great for night cap or even grabbing a water before bed. A great mix of fellow travelers and locals just out for the weekend. Great community spaces. Nightlife accessible but didn't feel too busy and I felt very comfortable leaving my bag in the storage drawer under my bed. Such a great place, I stayed there twice while I was in Ireland.

really nice contact beforehand because of our somewhat difficult booking requirements (one of us was there 4 days before the other but we wanted to share a room which wasn't a problem at all); it was my third stay and I would stay again when coming back to Cork.

• 1st Oct 2014

All staff members were friendly throughout from cleaning personal to managers and cooperative at any problem. As an example, I asked them whether they would contribute in some kitchen knives, that I wanted to buy (the only thing that was missing in a really well-assorted hostel-kitchen) and they told me, they would buy them (and a sharpening steel) via their own company. Until then, we were allowed to borrow ones at the front-desk for cooking at any time. The front desk was manned 24 / 7 !

• 30th Sep 2014

All in all not a bad hostel, not outstanding either. The beds were really crammed into the 6 bed dorm with no room for maneuvering and only 1 socket. Wifi and breakfast were both decent, not great. Staff were polite but not overly friendly. The place was kept clean. It's a decent hostel at a good price.

overall great hostel but breakfast was very poor, a small fruit selection and yogurt would have made a big difference

• 29th Sep 2014

Room itself was fine but changing keys every day was a pain, especially when they randomly stop working. Breakfast wasn't worth the time to walk downstairs. Overall the stay was only ok.

Awesome variety on the live music down in the bar. All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the managers

They have a cool bar downstairs that has certain deals on different days. The 6 person dorm is a little on the tight and small in terms of space for self and stuff.

The staff was excellent, very very friendly and helpful. However, the dorm-room and kitchen area were sub-par and not very clean. As a result we opted to lose money and not stay for the second night booked. There was no way to look up valuables in the room and the bathroom had silverfish bugs all over the place. The kitchen did not seem to be very clean and the milk tasted kind of funny. This hostel seemed to be way overpriced for what we got in comparison to other hostels we stayed at.

Incredible location close to the city center, public transportation and other tourist attractions, the bar below is a great time with live music every night, but if the bar isn't your scene you won't be bothered by it! Very clean and comfortable place to stay with cages under beds to store your things! They even offer a laundry service for €5, which we took advantage of. When you stay you get a discount at the bar and a few restaurants close by! Can't recommend this place enough!!

There wasn't anything special about this hostel, one swipe pad never worked and wifi was a joke. Don't expect any signal in your room, you have to stay in the kitchen/tv room(not all bad as you meet people that way.)

• 15th Sep 2014

The Bru Hostel worked out well for my son and I. The staff were particularly friendly and accommodating.

• 13th Sep 2014