Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Great hostel very near to city centre. There is a pub within the hostel with awesome food/drink deals as well as live music! And just in case you are worried, at least in our dorm room there was no issue about noise, we could sleep very well.

This hostel is advertised as voted the 7th best hostel in the world by hostelworld.com. Not sure why this is. Postive things: (Security) Need keycard for several doors to rooms. Underbed storage baskets in rooms, but they do not lock. (Location) Short walk to downtown and to/from train station. (Price) Cheap dorms. Negative things: Small kitchen and TV room. TV doesn't work anyway.Staff did not know how to repair. Cold water in showers. Full bar on 1st floor but full of locals, not guests.

This hostel is in a great location with decent beds, but I'd never suggest it to anyone that's visiting Cork for an actual holiday...only a piss up. The staff weren't over helpful at all and as they were also the bartenders, demanded tips and weren't even friendly after we obliged. Our booking was mixed up and we had to split apart and change rooms half way through. Girls dorm bed wasn't cleaned and smelled bad. To say the least, don't expect much from this hostel except a roof and toast.

• 15th Mar 2014

I had the most fun staying at this hostel than I did anywhere else. The hostel is centrally located right next to the river and the bus station. It is a bar and hostel (obviously) but they kick everyone out who isn't staying at the hostel and then the hostel visitors kept partying till really late. The staff was young and friendly, facilities were good, and atmosphere was welcoming. Definitely recommend people to stay here.

Great location, so close to the bus station. I found the room to be quite loud in the hallways because many people come back late at night totally drunk and loud. Thin walks! Haha but overall not bad, clean and bathroom was clean.

I had a really good weekend in this place. It was packed with a mixture of backpackers, regulars and some stag groups. Every night the bar had something special; a band, a dj or a singer. They also showed all the big football and rugby matches. The hostel itself is not very exciting though. Small rooms with a lot of beds crammed together into them. No lockers available in the dorms. For every single door you'll need your wipe card though, so I suppose it's safe enough.

Atmospheric, well equipped hostel. Loved the bar area downstairs, friendly staff and a decent breakfast. Location was also fine. I had a blast!

• 3rd Mar 2014
  • Finland

Everything okay and as expected. Allways a good spot to spend a few days in Cork City.

Good location, nice pub downstairs and clean beds.

Not that enjoyable a place all in all. Though the English people dressed in *hilarious* costumes in the bar will probably have thought otherwise.

• 21st Feb 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I stayed in a 4 bed ensuite room, bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. The breakfast was a bit poor but no surprise since it's a hostel. No luggage room, you have to leave your bag on the hatshelf in the bar if you can't check in and I didn't really feel comfortable doing that but had no choice... I would stay here if I came back and can recommend the hostel to other people!

Nice place, very friendly staff! Close to the train station and easy to find. Free wifi anywhere in the hostel is much appreciated. Missed having lockers in the rooms, but honestly I don't think it could fit.

I booked a room with an attached bathroom and did not get what I booked. The bathroom was down a hall, but the point of advertising as an attached bathroom is that you don't need to find your key in the morning. I wouldn't stay unless it was the cheapest room in Cork. The bed was actually a thin piece of foam and not a mattress :(. Stayed for 4 days. Not worth it.

Was a really great place to stay, good location and great atmostphere make a good combination.

Great stay, the hostel was nice and clean. The bar was nice and a great place to meet other travellers and locals. was good fun staying here. would defiantly be back.

Convenient location. Very accommodating staff.................great Super Bowl party in the pub. Only issue was the broken bathroom door knob in room #103, but all else was well.

• 2nd Feb 2014

Clean hostel. Breakfast was ok, the usual. Good location.

1 2 3 4 5 Next » last »