Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

There is NO LAUNDRY facility as stated in their listing! The kitchen is nice and stocked, but it and the common room have no windows. Half of the power outlets don't even work and some of them short when you insert a plug. The staff are generally nice and helpful; some let me stay in the common room past closing time to work. "Live music," is not a selling point. It's only garbage cover bands, and they play until 1am or later. Wi-fi is flaky and doesn't reach the rooms. Showers are push button!

The beds are so comfortable, wifi was a bit iffy but everything else was great!

Cork is quite small, so anywhere is a good location really. Wifi didn't work at all the entire time I was there. Staff were very nice and helpful.

The wifi was terrible.

I knew going in it was part of bar, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed. The staff were very cool and really even the people we met staying there were cool. I felt the location was a little seedy and luggage storage is above info booths in the bar. The carpet and bathroom in our room was run down and wifi was unattainable in the room. I even struggled getting it in the landing next to the bar. They really want you to go to the bar, where wifi is strong.

great staff awesome rooms!

The whole place smells very bad. There was no wifi in the room or even in the corridor. I'm sure it's possible to find better for the money.

Decent. Did the job.

Had a blast! So nice to stay near the train station, bus station and city center. Great stay, for cheap.

The electricity plugs were not working in our 2 rooms... Really light and not tasty breakfast

I've been to alot of hostels and this one rates lowest in every way. Especially the room. Our twin private ensuite was dismal looking with the atmosphere of a prison. The single glazed window not only let in a cold draft but also every sound imaginable. . Everything else just looked cheap especially the fittings. The worst of all was the cleaner opening our locked door at 10:20am, standing inside and asking if we knew check out was at 11am.. Beyond unbelievable even for a hostel.

Great location, very good value for money (nicest free breakfasts I have had in any hostel!) would definitely recommend. Still no idea what the barman trying to be quirky was saying instead of "thank you very much" though!

Great location and the bar is excellent! Love the drink deals for people staying at the hostel and the live music is awesome! There were some unexpected hip hop lyricists on one of the nights I was there.

Please oil the hinges on room 305. The door is very annoying. Very loud when it opens by the back bathroom. Other than that my stay was super fun and very pleasant.

• 6th Sep 2015

Needs more working outlets

Nice place with a good location and really good value if you only want to sleep in your room. The Breakfast was bare minimum but sufficiant for what you needed and what you would expect. We had some problems that the keycards stoped working but friendly staff helped us with it,

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Sweden

This was my first hostel experience and I loved it! The rooms were a tad small but the kitchen and living space were big which was nice. I loved that there was a bar downstairs, it made it easy to connect with people and have a couple beers - plus you get a discount for staying there.

Fix the keycards otherwise fine place to stay

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Sweden

Overall a great Hostel, really good location, nice size and really good value for what you pay. A little small and hard to meet more people in the hostel, but having a bar is a nice touch and especially the live music! Overall I would definitely recommend to people who are going to Cork.

I LOVED this hostel!! The staff is nothing short of amazing- always nice and striking up conversation! The bar down stairs is very cool as well, perfect way to meet people. The kitchen upstairs is nice, and I never really had a problem with space when cooking. Rooms are small but the bathrooms are decent sized. Kind of expensive, but I found it to be worth it. If (when!) I return to Cork, I would without hesitation stay here again.