Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

Does not get any better than this place for 19 euros inc. breakfast , great value . Only thing would say if your not having 4 or 5 pints of guiness , bring your earplugs as bar closes at 4am .

I was awoken by 2 drunk guys that entered my private bedroom at 4am : it was a mistake but their key could open my door!! Security=0. The lady at the reception did not care at all when I told her.

The only thing i didn't like was the very squeaky bed. I couldn't move without making a noise. Very annoying. And it would be great to have something unlike jam for breakfeast, maybe honey? But the stuff was very helpful and the bathroom nice and clean.

Rude staff, tiny rooms!! Other than that was good?

• 2nd Jul 2014

Hi, I apologise if you caught a staff member or myself or all of us on a bad day. Give us a call, ask for me and I'll see what I can do to change your impression of us! I don't have a luxurious penthouse to put you in we'll do something. Thanks for the feedback! Ash McRae Manager

Definitely a must if you're going to a gig in the Marquee, only a 20 minute walk away. 2 minutes from the bus station. Very welcoming staff and met some really cool people, both locals from the area and people who were staying. Can't wait for a chance to go back!

• 2nd Jul 2014

Not to far from train station and shops, staff are friendly and hostel is good place to stay with clean rooms and comfortable beds. Will be back to stay in the future to stay.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Hi Gerald, Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the Hostel. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

So great placer

• 1st Jul 2014
  • South Korea

A wonderful stay in Bru Bar. We stayed only one night and the late bar served as a great attraction to us. We checked in with no hassle, were informed that the bar should be open until 4am and were generally welcomed in a very friendly manner. However, the barman who was attending the bar when we arrived back to the hostel (at about 1.30am) was quite rude and told us the bar was about to close. It didnt detract from our trip that much as we had just seen the PIXIES, but was quite disappointed

• 30th Jun 2014

The owner was very accommodating. As we arrived, we were told that our booking was not as we had thought it was, but he rectified it. The breakfast was quite adequate. The WiFi did not work in the room, but did in the day room. Even though the bar is non smoking, it reeked of cigarette smoke. This is because all the smokers, and there were many, stood right outside the door and the smoke re-enters by the draft and since the owner smokes himself he doesn't notice. Other than that, all is well.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This was a lovely hostel, the bar downstairs and the communal kitchen area provided a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Me and my mother felt safe here and the staff were helpful (even after our stay ended). It is walking distance - 5 minutes, to the centre of the city and situated on a street with local amenities. I now live 2 streets away from the hostel and pass it every morning on my way to work, I will definitely be back in for a beer!

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

great discounts for different things, e.g. tearoom and Queenstown saga in Cobh :) unfortunatelly there are some tings to complain: - molded bread for breakfast (!!!) - butter was out of date, too - very hot room, window was always open - old timetables for visitingpoints in the near of Cork

• 28th Jun 2014

Hi Elisabeth, Thank you for your review. I must apologize for the out of date products placed out for breakfast. This has been highlighted to the relevant staff. Unfortunately, as with a lot of Hostels, air-conditioning in the rooms is simply out of our price range. The timetables were updated at the start of the year but will be looked at again immediately. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Basic accommodation. A good place to stay, though small rooms. So close to the bus station!

Hi, Thanks for your review. Unfortunately you must have stayed in one of our smaller rooms. I hope despite this you enjoyed your stay with us :-) And hopefully we shall see you again another time. Kind regards, Maria.

Very clean, friendly and central. Enjoyed our stay

Hi , Thanks for the great reveiw! I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us :-) We hope to see you again at some stage in the future if you're returning to Cork. Kind regards, Maria

We got what we paid for except the laundry service! I brought my laundry down for washing and in the morning it was returned to me as if it had been washed- it hadn't been! Luckily I caught the error and my €5 were returned but had I not payed attention... Not sure about the breakfast because we never saw one. Overall, we enjoyed the city and would probably stay here again because the price was low enough to ovelook any dis omforts we encountered which were very few.

Hi , I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your washing..I'm glad to hear you were refunded! As for breakfast, it is severed from 7.30 - 10.30 in the kitchen, which would have been stated upon your check in. I'm very gald you enjoyed your time here in Cork, and we hope to see you again if you return :-) Kind regards, Maria

It was pretty much what I expected. Any place with a bar attached is bound to be loud and full of young adults having fun. If you like that, it's great! If you want somewhere peaceful, maybe try somewhere else. But I had zero problems and zero complaints.

Hi Caitlin, Thanks for the review, glad you had fun, hostels are supposed to be a! Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

The Staff are great, very helpful and accommodating (no pun intended). Everyone was friendly and made the stay far more enjoyable. Good entertainment in the evenings, bar discounts, kept very clean and with a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes I'm sure! Highly recommended to any experienced backpacker or newb. Will definitely stay again!

• 23rd Jun 2014

Great place and convenient having a bar downstairs!!! No locks or tops on luggage baskets but it's understandable because the tops sticking under the mattress of bottom bunk make it impossible to pull out if someone is on the bottom bunk! They can store your bags or valuables if you need them too.

Everything was good except for the extremely small dorm room. This was also very hot and you couldn't open the window that much. Also the swipe access card was a bit temperamental.

I was traveling solo but easily met other travelers to hang out with while in Cork. The bar below has live music every night and I caught a pretty good show while there.

HI, We're really glad you enjoyed your time here with us, and we hope to see you again at some stage if you're ever back in Cork :-) Regards, Maria.

This place was brilliant especially the staff . They were probably the best I've encountered in a very long time . Really good attitude . I was with a group and I speak for all . Thanks bru hostel for a fab weekend !

• 21st Jun 2014

Hi, We're really glad you enjoyed your stay here :-) And we hope to see you again at some stage if you're back in Cork! Regards, Maria.