Bru Bar & Hostel Reviews

57 MacCurtain Street, Cork City, Cork, Ireland

We got what we paid for except the laundry service! I brought my laundry down for washing and in the morning it was returned to me as if it had been washed- it hadn't been! Luckily I caught the error and my €5 were returned but had I not payed attention... Not sure about the breakfast because we never saw one. Overall, we enjoyed the city and would probably stay here again because the price was low enough to ovelook any dis omforts we encountered which were very few.

Hi , I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your washing..I'm glad to hear you were refunded! As for breakfast, it is severed from 7.30 - 10.30 in the kitchen, which would have been stated upon your check in. I'm very gald you enjoyed your time here in Cork, and we hope to see you again if you return :-) Kind regards, Maria

It was pretty much what I expected. Any place with a bar attached is bound to be loud and full of young adults having fun. If you like that, it's great! If you want somewhere peaceful, maybe try somewhere else. But I had zero problems and zero complaints.

Hi Caitlin, Thanks for the review, glad you had fun, hostels are supposed to be a! Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

The Staff are great, very helpful and accommodating (no pun intended). Everyone was friendly and made the stay far more enjoyable. Good entertainment in the evenings, bar discounts, kept very clean and with a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes I'm sure! Highly recommended to any experienced backpacker or newb. Will definitely stay again!

• 23rd Jun 2014

Great place and convenient having a bar downstairs!!! No locks or tops on luggage baskets but it's understandable because the tops sticking under the mattress of bottom bunk make it impossible to pull out if someone is on the bottom bunk! They can store your bags or valuables if you need them too.

Everything was good except for the extremely small dorm room. This was also very hot and you couldn't open the window that much. Also the swipe access card was a bit temperamental.

I was traveling solo but easily met other travelers to hang out with while in Cork. The bar below has live music every night and I caught a pretty good show while there.

HI, We're really glad you enjoyed your time here with us, and we hope to see you again at some stage if you're ever back in Cork :-) Regards, Maria.

This place was brilliant especially the staff . They were probably the best I've encountered in a very long time . Really good attitude . I was with a group and I speak for all . Thanks bru hostel for a fab weekend !

• 21st Jun 2014

Hi, We're really glad you enjoyed your stay here :-) And we hope to see you again at some stage if you're back in Cork! Regards, Maria.

Excellent

Great! Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Great, friendly and helpful staff. Really nice place for spending some pleasant days.

Great location and friendly staff. Good bar and food discounts.

Hi, Thanks a lot for the great review. Pleased you enjoyed Bru. Good luck! Ash McRae Manager

Very friendly people and good bar.

really enjoyed the stay and the friendly staff. they even have special beer discounts for the world cup!! all longnecks are €2.

• 16th Jun 2014

Very good laundry-service (cheap and fast!), nice atmosphere because of the Bar downstairs, nice rooms. Good Hostel 👍

Hi , Thanks for the nice review. Guests do love our washing service alright, and while we have been accused of losing a sock or two, everyone knows it's the socks making a detemined effort to be free! So we ask everyone to check there returned laundry for escapees. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

Good location, live music every evening, good security

Hi, Thanks for the nice review. Good luck! Ash McRae Manager

It was a good hostel, but I didn't really like the fact that we have to go in the bar to go in the hostel. The rooms and the kitchen were great !

Hi, Thanks for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed Bru. I'm sorry if the hostel side door was not explained to you. This is a room key operated door at the front of the building which bypasses the bar. We will make a point of letting guests know from now on. Best of luck! Ash McRae Manager

Location is great, particularly for bus station. The rooms and bathroom were very nice and clean. Wifi in the rooms as well. The front entrance is a bit strange as you have to walk through the bar to get to reception. They have deals for ppl staying in the hostel at the bar.

Overall the hostel was fine, but on the low end of fine. The staff, while friendly, were extremely slow! This was from multiple encounters with 3 different people, not just a one-off. They also advertise that drinks are 10% off but Mark them up. Good location because close to train station and not too far from the City Center.

• 4th Jun 2014

Hi Deborah, Thanks for the review and apologies for the holdup's! This will be discussed at a pre summer staff meeting next week. Customer service staff and management need to look at the quality of service provided regularly and we are no different. We give guests a 10% discount on all drinks in the bar (specials excluded) Sunday to Thursday. Our prices are on a par with the majority of Cork city bars. They have to be as a lot of our customers are locals. Best regards, Ash McRae Manager

I was happy I stayed in that hostel. Location is perfect, close to the busstop as well as to the city center. I stayed in a four-bed-dorm. It was quiet, well equipted and clean. A cleaning lady came around in the morning. The kitchen area / common room / breakfast room was good, too, and you can also hang out in the pub.

Hi, Thank you for the wonderful review. This is exactly what we hope our guests feel about the place, you explained it brilliantly! Good luck! Ash McRae Manager

Key card doesn't properly works. Would be nice to chance them

Hi Benoit, The room keys are of the card swipe variety and while they have given them a bit of an upgrade, we admit that after 10 years they need replacing. Not a cheap exercise but we are saving for it! Sorry if you hit a door being repeatedly unhelpful. Good luck, Ash McRae Manager

I liked Bru Bar & Hostels very much, it's close to the centre, just few minutes walking. The staff is kind and very helpful, and I met lots of nice people there, so I definitively enjoyed my stay.