Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

The four-person room was well insulated from the noise of the rest of the hostel, but being on the first floor with single-glazed windows, the noise from the street was quite loud and I found it impossible to sleep without earplugs. The mattress was rather uncomfortable, but it was roughly what you'd expect.

• 10th Sep 2014

Rooms, bathrooms, kitchen, staff and location were all fantastic. Cheap price as well. Would never stay anywhere else in Edinburgh!

No kitchen available for quests (or maybe it's hidden really well), distracted staff making mistakes during check-in (solved, but it made a bad first impression). Apart from that - great place, conveniently located, quiet at night, no queues to common toilets/showers.

Great hostel highly reccomend would stay here again.

That was my esconde time there, so, I chose because really like and enjoyed each time, nice atmosphere, relax, nice shower and localization.

Very friendly staff and great bar/dining area! Pretty good value for money

Fantastic location, clean good-size bedrooms, plus a kick-ass bar !

Very nice hostel and most of all very nice staff!!

The hostel facilities were clean and secure,but some of the lockers are broken. The main selling point is the hostel's location- minutes away from many Fringe venues. However, there were problems with the management of my booking. One mix up meant that my bed sheets were cleared mistakenly due to the room becoming overbooked. My pyjamas therefore disappeared and were only recovered after I rooted through the laundry. Although the staff were very understanding, this was a blight on my stay!

Great atmosphere especially if you are traveling solo with the pub crawls at night, my only issue was that in the 3 days I stayed there the toilets were always dirty (spew) and I never had a hot shower. Also I think that it was a bit rude when the staff members made judgements about people from certain countries, there are good and bad people everywhere that pissed me off!!

The hostel was great. Great location and generally friendly and helpful staff. The only thing i will say is that on occasion the toilet were discusting and the cleaners never cleaned under the bed. So if something went under there it came out covered in dust bunnies!! All in all though i would stay here again. The pub crawl was good and the food was nice too. Excellent location for everything you want to do.

• 10th Aug 2014

The location could not have been more perfect! The dorms were clean, comfy and quiet and the showers were nice. The food was also good for the price! We really enjoyed our stay!

• 5th Aug 2014

1) Upon arrival, I asked to check in at the counter after which I was completely ignored by 2 staff members. I don't mind waiting but they could at least acknowledge my presence. 2) My friend and I had booked 2 beds in a 4-bed female room. But when we got to our room, there was a guy and his gf. This is not acceptable to pay for one thing and get another. 3) There was NO HOT WATER for the duration of our stay! 4) The wifi did not work at all 5)Overall, I would never stay at this hostel again.

• 5th Aug 2014
  • India

Hi Natasha . sorry you felt you did not get the best possible customer service. . Festival time in Edinburgh can get a bit hectic which can result in a slight delay in getting served, please accept our apologies for this. We have also checked the shower for your room and it was a faulty shower valve which has now been replaced and all is good. Thank you for your review which has enabled us to identify some problems, fix them and so improve our customer experience. BB Crew

The rooms were smelly and It was really easy to get in after the hours they claimed were only accessible to individual who hold a specific hostel form.

• 4th Aug 2014

Hi Jonathan . Regarding the smelly room, unfortunately we do not have control over some guests hygiene standards but immediately addressed the problem when we where told and asked the offending guest to leave. Regarding security all our guest do get issued with a security pass when they check in but we also issue a security key to every guest which they have to use to get into the main hostel from reception. nobody can access these doors without this security key. Thanks for your review BB Crew

One of the best hostels I've ever been to

Really good hostel.

Thanks Leonie for the fantastic Review BB Crew :)

Managed by friendly and welcoming staff, this hostel is a very nice and safe place to stay in Edinburgh. Easily accessible via public transit from the airport. Accommodations were basic but our private room was clean and the shared common bathroom was very clean. Good food and drink at reasonable prices. Centrally located and close to Edinburgh's major attractions (Castle and Royal Mile) as well as good restaurants, bars, and shops. A good choice for your stay in Edinburgh.

Great budget place to stay, really close to the main attractions, you can see the castle as soon as you leave the front door. Kitchen is large and thereare relaxed common rooms to chill. Great place to meet other travellers and events are organised like pub crawls and walking tours.

Internet use is £1 for 30 minutes, if you use their computers. Seems like they have a plumbing problem in the kitchen, the water was always running. People were very bad at keeping the kitchen clean. The hostel is like a labyrinth just like Edinburgh!

Amazing staff- I got to the hostel around midnight absolutely wrecked and the staff at the front desk was a superstar and made things so easy.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4