Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Internet use is £1 for 30 minutes, if you use their computers. Seems like they have a plumbing problem in the kitchen, the water was always running. People were very bad at keeping the kitchen clean. The hostel is like a labyrinth just like Edinburgh!

Amazing staff- I got to the hostel around midnight absolutely wrecked and the staff at the front desk was a superstar and made things so easy.

• 10th Jul 2014

Needs warm water

Cheap room. Big hostel. It was ok.

• 7th Jul 2014

Stayed in one of the 30 person dorms. The dorm was actually split over two levels, so it was basically a 20 person dorm below and 10 above. The hostel was kept very clean, secure with large lockers, and I met some amazing new friends here. The free walking tour is a great way to get acquainted with the city and the tour guide was fantastic (Okie doke!). If you're staying in Edinburgh, you can't really go wrong here.

Loved the vibe of this hostel, plus rooms were great. BUT: The free walking tour was THE WORST I've ever been on. Little to NO commentary/stories on the city, plus pretty hard to understand the guy. At one point he actually just read off the plaque on the statue we were looking at... Other people we talked to said their tour guide was awesome, so I suppose it's not always bad. Overall a really good hostel. No free breakfast which was a bummer, but they sell great food in the bar area.

Staying in a twin room with no ensuite. Room was spacious and clean and nice and quiet to sleep in. This hostel was worlds above another we stayed at in Edinburgh only a week earlier. Great kitchen facilities and good common space with good wifi and bathrooms.

Staff are helpful and funny. The only thing I'd like to say is the shower room didn't work well.. Some lockers in the room were broken. Generally it's worthy. And remind you there's no breakfast and no seasoning, oil in the kitchen.

I had so much fun stayin at Budget Backpackers in Edinburgh. The staff was incredible, the rooms were good, bar good, food good.

• 24th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

very good place. happy to stay there again.

Great place. The thing I love the most: freshly washed bed sheets! A little bit hard to get to when you travel with large suitcases. Other than that: Friendly staff, clean spatious kitchen. Every bed has its own light, dorms with Windows that can be opened! Blinds to block the sun (it rises at 4 in summer). I stayed here twice and will stay here again on my next trip to Edinburgh

Nice hostel. Very spacious rooms, solid bunks. Bathrooms pretty clean, and plenty of them. The staff was good, although the guy checking us in didn't know how to get to our room. Lots of stairs, and a bit complex of a maze if you don't know where you are going. Great location to food and the royal mile, however was very very noisy outside on Saturday night.

Maybe you coul invest in some good quality windows to keep the noise out better, there was almost no difference between open and closed.

Confusion with beds and rooms with 30 man dorm but other than that good hostel!

Stayed one night in a double bed private. Was like an old hotel Room. Old bathroom and shower facilities. Did what it needed but I don't think it was worth the cost really. Staff were helpful and nice. But if you're not too fussed about a modern room it's fine and the perfect location made up for it anyway!

This hostel is awesome! Perfect location, great walking tours, and a lovely vibe. Regardless of who was working at the front desk, the staff were always helpful, considerate and up for a good laugh! The three ladies I had the chance to chat with who were working the desk were warm and convivial hosts! The room conditions was great, albeit a bit noisy from the street, so remember to bring your earplugs! (I had mine in and had no issues sleeping) Great bathrooms and all-around great place!!!

Nice place to stay. Wifi codes change daily. Had an issue with no bed in the dorm I booked but they resolved that be putting me in a better room (took an hour to get it sorted). Close to all major attractions, clean bathrooms...but the showers have no real room to get changed.

This was my second stay at this hostel because it's so great! The staff are amazing (Sharla you rock!!!), the location is central, and hostel is clean and well priced. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone looking for a good time in Edinburgh.

Really great. Only one small complain: I wish the showers had hot water.

A good atmosphere in a hostel very well located, close to pubs and to the castle. Possibility to use the luggage room with locks for free. Negative point: the breakfast is not included.

• 3rd Jun 2014