Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

The only problem is that the kitchen close at 10 pm. The staff in the evening are not nice

Amazing place with great people.

• 9th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

too many fire alarms

Basically I was thinking it will be a normal dorm room with continuous pile of beds all around. But was amazed once I checked in. It was a great one days stay here !! Definitely I will go back to this if I visit Edinburgh again :-)

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • India

Thank you for the great positive feedback. We have just upgraded all our rooms and it is good to see our customers are impressed with the finished product. We hope you will tell your friends and that you will visit us again soon. BB Crew :)

Absolutely great. Cheapest Hostel I could find, but probably the best one, still. The free guided tour started 25 minutes late without warning, but then again it was free, so I can't complain. Other than that it's hard to find something bad about this hostel, spacious rooms, an own bar, pool table, games, good kitchen, lockers, good beds, enough power outlets.. I'll be back :)

• 1st Apr 2015

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be back. Sorry the walking tour was a bit late in starting. Hope you had a safe onward journey, BB Crew :)

yeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• 31st Mar 2015

This is a fantastic hostel!

Clean, nice big lockers, good location for all the tourist things! Never managed to get the wifi to work on my phone while I was there though. Each bed has its own plug socket with extra USB port which was handy. The free walking tour really was free! The guide pretty much left straight away so no tips were expected. The tour didn't go into much detail so maybe give it a miss except maybe if it's your first morning there, just to get orientated in Edinburgh.

It was a great value. The bed comfortable, the rooms secure, and the location great. The staff wasn't unfriendly, but were kind of meh. But again great value.

All I could say is this was the cleanest and the most secure hostel I have ever been to. The location is great, close to pubs, bars, city centre. Beds are great and sheets are really clean.

Best hostel ever. Donkey rukez

• 19th Mar 2015

It's not convenient that the light in the bathroom will turn off automatically when you are taking shower

Hi,Thanks for your review. We have adjusted the sensor to allow the light to stay on longer. The lights will automatically come on again if there is any movement in the room. This is to save on energy when there is nobody in the room . This helps us improve our carbon footprint. We hope you where not too inconvenienced by the light sensor and hope to see you back again soon. BB Crew

Great location, friendly staff, and surprisingly comfy beds. The common area/cafe had a nice atmosphere and made it easier to meet people.

great place to stay, friendly, helpful staff, good nightly meal deals from the cafe. only downside, kitchen is very small, there's not a lot of plates or cups and the dining room is quite small. the non-alcoholic drinks from the cafe are quite expensive too £1.60 for a cup of tea! may just be edinburgh prices though?

Budget Backpackers had a very unique atmosphere; edgy and colorful, kind of a hipster place. The staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The hostel also has a cafe/bar area with reasonably priced drinks and food; myself and those I was travelling with spent a lot of time there. The bathrooms are shared by women and men, which took some getting used to, but everyone was respectful. My only complaint is that the showers did not get hot water.

• 27th Feb 2015

Hi Kiera. Thanks for the great review. We have investigate the hot water problem you pointed out and have found a couple of showers in the building require their mixer valves to be replaced as they are not letting hot water through. We are on the case to have them replaced immediately . Thanks for letting us know. We hope you have had a safe onward journey and hope to see you back soon. BB Crew

Great location and they're after a modern, funky feel, but it's not a great place for solo travelers. The staff is quite cold, and the problem with the place is they treat it like a hospital or big hotel, not a hostel. It's massive, and a huge maze. Some rooms have too many beds in them. It's basically full of large group that stick together and the staff who aren't fun and inclusive or welcoming. Also, it has way too many rules to keep order and series of doors to go through just to get to bed

Those who love mainstream music and culture will surely like this hostel. The hostels logo - donkey with sunglasses - is a great indication of the atmosphere here. Imagine brightly coloured rooms with the latest pop and dance music blasting. Surprising contrast between the loud and busy social spaces and the quiet room. Acceptable washrooms and showers. Rather untidy kitchen, when I was there, but acceptable cooking equipment. Staff were friendly and honest.

The hostels was great. The bathroom was very clean even though 24 people were using it - and by the way it is a mixed bathroom which was not a problem for me but for others it might be. The only thing that was of my dislike was the fact that I was freezing at night.

The kitchen is too small for so many people and Curtains fell down during shower. Otherwise staff was OK but not too friendly, but best location ever, next to everything, lots of bars around (try brewdog)

Taking away 1 point for facilities. The bathroom showers were malfunctioning and would suddenly throw bouts of cold water in the middle of a shower.

• 17th Feb 2015