Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Had a great stay! Everyone friendly, people respectful of the hostel and rules, hostel was clean, warm and comfortable. Would recommend 10/10

I was there on a weekend during the fringe, so it was obviously very busy. Location is fantastic, staff are really friendly.

Budget Backpackers is in a fantastic part of Edinburgh for anyone visiting the city -- we were steps away from numerous "must-see" sites. Futhermore the staff was awesome -- very helpful and accomodating for my travel buddy and I -- and the facilities were more than adequate for anyone backpacking around Europe.

A very good location but the staff on the Reception desk were incredibly slow to help people waiting. Everytime I went to the desk there was a long queue of people waiting and each of those times there was only one person actually serving and the other two people were busying themselves with their computer and pretending not to see the queue! Had to say "excuse me, are you busy?" to get a staff member to actually look at me! Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, despite great location.

Hi thanks for the positive comments on our great location. Please accept our apologies for the wait at reception :( It is incredibly busy at the moment due to the Edinburgh festival . We also had a new staff member being trained hence service time being a bit slow. Our staff should have acknowledged you but they do sometimes get lost in their computer dealing with online and phone booking coming in. Our new staff are now fully trained and speedier customer service is being achieved. BB Crew :)

I really hope that the hotel can be more clean without the mice show in the hotel !

• 18th Aug 2015
  • China

Hi we did get a report from a guest that a little furry friend had entered our premises without permission. This unfortunately can sometimes happen in these very old buildings in Edinburghs Old Historic quarter. We take very seriously any reports of this nature and immediately notified our pest control specialists who immediately attended our premises and removed our little friend from the hostel. We also have an ongoing contract to ensure we do not have this problem in the future. BB Crew

So the hostel was good enough, not amazing but good. The bathrooms were a bit dirty but it is a hostel. The only problem is that we had a mouse in our room. I read the reviews before booking the hostel and in early August someone has also said there was a mouse in their room. I figured it was a one-off thing, until we saw our furry friend scurrying around under our beds. The staff were nice and we were able to switch rooms, but had they been full we would have been out of luck.

Hi . Thanks for letting us know about our little furry friend . We immediately notified our pest control specialist who thankfully have managed to find and evict our little friend from the premises. We are located in the historic old town part of Edinburgh and on the odd occasion a mouse can get into the building . We of course take any reports very seriously and have actioned an immediate response to ensure we don't have this problem again. Thanks again for letting us know. BB Crew

The management were excellent, and very considerate.

• 17th Aug 2015

Great location and awesome accommodations. Cool vibe and the bar inside was a good touch

Thanks for the great review. Our dorms have just been upgraded and modernised so it so good you like what we have done. Thanks again for the great review and hope to see you back soon BB Crew :)

I stayed at Budget Backpackers from the 12th- 14th of August, I came up for the fringe festival and wanted to be in the heart of the city the hostel is in an excellent location. The staff on reception were very friendly when I arrived and really helpful throughout my stay. I arrived 2 hours before check in but was able to leave my bags in a locker. I stayed in a 30 mixed dorm room which was fine, clean, comfy beds everyone was quiet whilst in the room. Showers were hot! What more do you need!

• 12th Aug 2015

Wow thank you so much for the fantastic review. We really try our best and it so very much appreciated when our guests let us and the world know that they have enjoyed their stay with us. Hopefully you will visit us again soon. BB Crew

FANTASTIC

It's in a fun location. Staff was super nice and helpful. I stayed in a four person female dorm. People weren't that social. They were just there to do their own thing which was fine. The security was decent. I liked that you needed a key card to get upstairs to the rooms. But no one ever asked for the pass at the desk when you came in the building. I think it would be better to just to use key card at the front door too.

Wonderful place in a great location. The staff are all extremely nice and friendly. The hangout area is great with a bar. It's too bad that breakfast isn't free and prices were a bit high because of the fringe fest. I would definitely come back here again.

It is not far from the train station and there are quite a few restaurants, shops, and supermarkets nearby. The room is big, so are the beds. I also the electric heater in the room, which helps dry our clothes when we hang them near it. My room doesn't have a view but it's fine for me.

Great location !

• 5th Aug 2015
  • Chile

Many showers needing repairs and were closed so at times it was difficult to find a place to shower in the mornings.

Located in a slightly loud area at night otherwise great location, awesome vibe.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

By far the best budget hostel I have stayed at in my travels in Europe. Rooms were excellent and a great system for bed assignment. Location was near all attractions in the old town. Reception was a little slow at times but otherwise an excellent stay.

• 2nd Aug 2015

The staff was really nice, and showers were amazing.. On the other hand, the internet was incredbly bad, there were good common area but very hard to meet people, there was a weird vibe on the hostel, and I saw a mouse in my room.. When I talked to the manager about it he seemed worried.. Hope they managed to catch it.

Hi Thanks for the great comments on our staff and showers . We are looking into why the internet was slow as it has been designed to be fast but thanks for letting us know. Thanks for letting us know about the little furry friend . Sometimes in these very old building in the old town a mouse may find its way in but thank you so much for letting us know and yes it was found and was politely ejected from the building. Thanks again for you positive comments it is very much appreciated BB CREW :)

The location is phenomenal, the staff is very friendly and helpful, the bedrooms are clean, the building is secure, the food and bar options are good, and the price is great. What more could you want?

Near the centre, clean and cosy, stuff was helpfull, all in all great experience.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7