Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Nice bar, excellent location, friendly staff and tidy toilets and rooms.

Fantastic location! Hot showers depend on your timing and which stall you pick. Toilets don't flush very well. Staff were not the friendliest, they just stared at the computer screen and never looked up.

Bathrooms, both en suite and shared were dirty, as were towels.

• 17th May 2015

Great Hostel with an excellent atmosphere and great beds that have USB charging points and by each bed.

The hostel is really nice! The staff attend you every moment if you need something. Clean and tidy, and the beds are very confortables. The only bad thing is the kitchen, that usually closing at 22.00 clock, and sometimes at 20.00, and we had to have the dinner very early and quickly!

Thanks for your good comments . Our Kitchen normally closes at 22.00 but we did have to close it at 20.00 for 1 hour during your stay to accommodate a large group that last minute asked to use the kitchen . This unfortunately would have resulted in the kitchen being too busy. We hope you where not to inconvenienced and hope to see you back again soon BB Crew

Amazing location, brilliant staff. The fact that you can use Kick Ass cafe and bar also is a great bonus. We also enjoyed our Free walking tour. Hostel is very clean, drinks & food also are at decent prices. The only bad things was that showers sometimes weren't hot enough but in contrast with everything else it only was a minor issue.

I loved this hostel. My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights here and really enjoyed it. Perfect location for exploring the town, the food was pretty good and everything was clean! Also staff was super friendly and gave us helpful tips on how to spend our day. Also gonna note that there is a pub down the street called Biddy Mulligans that my boyfriend and I ate dinner pretty much every night cause the food was so good! I would defenitly stay at this hostel again :) thanks guys!

• 10th May 2015

Fantastic time, great place to be

• 9th May 2015
  • Poland

A good hostel. We made a change in our booking and had no problems with it, thank you. In the toilet I would suggest some wall hangers for cloths, and, if possible, a better isolation of the "loo compartiment".

Great for backpackers great vibes great atmosphere

Thanks for the Awesome Review. BB Crew :)

Staff were helpful and the hostel itself was decorated nicely + in a lovely location. My only criticism would be that my room absolutely reeked of sweat + was v. stuffy, which made sleeping difficult. I realise that the hostel cannot control the body odor of its guests, but I think that better ventilation would go a long way towards solving this problem.

• 3rd May 2015

Hi Thank you for you positive comments . We are sorry that somebody in your room had questionable hygiene levels . Its not something we have a lot of control over but we would have been more than happy to ask the guest in question to use our showers to improve the experience for other people in the room. We do hope you will come back and visit us again soon. BB Crew :)

It was a very enjoyable stay. The food offered was fairly priced, the beds were so comfortable (and you didn't have to make your own bed!), the rooms were accommodating, the bathrooms nice, spacious and always clean, the kitchen/dining room was great- spacious enough for several groups to be cooking at the same time, and multiple sets of everything-, the chill-out room was cute, etc. etc. Everything was comfortable. Would DEFINITELY stay here again if I were ever in Edinburgh again.

Hi Wow thanks for the cool review. We really try our best and it is always good to get such positive feedback . Hope you had a safe onward journey and that you will visit us again soon. BB Crew :)

Great hostel in an amazing location. I loved the bright decor and the room cards which kept everything locked and safe. Everything was very clean, even the communal bathrooms, which were obviously cleaned fairly often through the day. Staff were slow to check us in, they seemed in no hurry despite it being quite late at night and us being tired, and it was clear English was not their first language! Cafe was lovely though and luggage storage facility very useful - thank you.

Hi Thanks for reviewing us and giving us good feedback . Sorry the crew where a bit slow in checking you in, especially since it was late at night. We are on the case to speed up and improve the check in process. Thank you again for the good comments BB Crew :)

The best thing about Budget Backpackers was the location- right off the Royal Mile and easily accessible to all of old town. I would probably stay here again just for that, and the fact that there were lockers in the rooms (bring your own lock). It wasn't a very friendly hostel, both the staff and the other backpackers. The girls bathroom was disappointing, only 2 showers and 2 toilets, but I never had a problem.

Thank you for your great comment on our location. We normally get great reviews for our staff and can only apologise that we did not achieve our normally high level of customer service. We do have several female only shower and also 22 other mixed private pod showers that can be used for male and female guests. We have now added extra signs showing all their location to ensure our guests can find them all easily. Thanks again for reviewing us . BB Crew :)

Only got to stay one night but was a really nice stay. The staff were very friendly and the beds were very comfortable. Each bunk had a little reading light which was nice and lockers were there (make sure you bring or buy a padlock). The location was Ace!

Thank You ! Thank You ! Thanks You !....Good reviews always make us smile. See you back soon BB Crew:)

It's rather hard to get some sleep in a room with 20+ people.

The only problem is that the kitchen close at 10 pm. The staff in the evening are not nice

I don't think I can ever recall a place where I could actually hang out with the staff, thanks for introducing me to the nightlife scene of London, one of the most memorable places I have stayed during my road trip so far

The hostel was nice to stay in, with good facilities. The room I stayed in was on the front of the hostel on Cowgate and was therefore really loud, as it's a very busy street.

• 9th Apr 2015

Amazing place with great people.

• 9th Apr 2015