Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Free tour offered by the hostel was pretty bad. The guide didn't really know her stuff, hesitated alot before explaining the sites to us.

Nice place, stayed for two nights. Good location in old town. Directly across the grave where JK Rowling came up with some of the Harry Potter names. A bit of a walk from the strain station if u don't know where u really are. My room was nice, bathrooms and showers however are not the best, but for the price it was fine.

• 12th Apr 2014

Loved this hostel! The rooms were so spacious and everything was very clean. There was a fun vibe and the staff was so helpful. I had to cancel a night early due to unforeseen events and they didn't have any problem canceling my last night and refunding me my money. Would definitely stay here again.

The staff was very nice and helpful and they are always very friendly and funny. I love the tree house chill out room above the cafe!

You're either going to love it or hate it because it's a busy place. If you like a buzzing atmosphere then you'll love it but if you seek something more sedate then go somewhere else. Other than that all the facilities are fine.

Such a great hostel. The free walking tours and pub crawls are a blast and the staff are all amazing. I stayed in the 30 bed dorm and was surprised that it actually had two levels, so it was like being in a 20 bed. Can't complain about a thing, had a wonderful time here!

Really fun place to be! Also greatest location because you are literally in the middle of all the attractions and very near great places to eat. Although maybe not the cleanest place I have stayed, it was still a rather accommodating place. This hostel also provides the greatest activities and the pub crawl was the funnest thing I did in Edinburgh!

The location is perfect. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There is a lovely atmosphere, particularly in the chillout room and the downstairs area. However, the bathrooms and showers were not particularly clean.

Great location with a young fun vibe even on a Monday night. Staff was laid back, fine, not too helpful but didn't bother me. Only major complaint was cold showers!!! Also the 30 person room not as scary as it seems

Our stay was relly good, the café is excelent to met people, with the ticket of your stay you have 15% off in some things that you can eat in there. About of the cleanliness don't worry about it , the showers are so good and with hot water. The room too, with big lockers (don't forget your padlock). The Only drawback that I found was that you can't close the Window of your room, and the location of the hostel is in a place that is a little bit noisy, but with an earplugs you are going to sleep

Definitely one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in! spacious rooms, comfy beds, big lockers in the rooms (one for each bed), FREE pub crawl (lots of fun!) and walking tours organised by the hostel, a café and bar in the hostel, huge well equipped kitchen with an intelligent system of organisation, good wi-fi (very secure because of daily changing codes). The bathrooms are shared (nothing to worry about but maybe sth you should know). Highly recommended!

Was a really nice and clean hostel with a joyful atmosphere!

Loved the people who ran the hostel! Very lively bunch and very easy to meet new people! I cant think of anything bad to say about the hostel!

I had an issue with my reservation but the staff was prompt to help and so they did. It was a good stay but for the showers. The showers are cold. Sometimes they warm up a bit but just a bit and it is really hard to wash your hair with cold water during the winter. I've asked several guests in my room if they knew how to showers worked, maybe I was doing something wrong and they all said they were having issues with it. The rooms are good, the linen is clean.

Great atmosphere, but I have difficulty in sleeping at night due to the traffic outside the hostel.

Very friendly and funny staff! As usually at youth hostels the showers could be a little more cleaner.

Very good hostel. The only problem was the shower, that would get cold in the middle of the shower. Apart from that, everything was fine.

Overall I was happy with the hostel

The bar of the hostel is really cheap and good. The kitchen is huge but the fridges were so 'crowded'. The obly problem we had was that in some showers there were no hot water.

Great Hostel overall and considering how cheap the accommodation was, it was a definite value for money. The staff's are just marvellous and all the events planned out are very helpful and fun. Only problem that we had was the sound of drunk people from the outside however still negligible.

• 13th Feb 2014