Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Budget Backpackers is a well thought out and 1 stop shop for anyone staying in Edinburgh. With its own little restaurant that also serves beer if you don't feel like venturing out there would be nothing you could need that wasn't either located directly in the hostel or in the store located literally across the street. The only reason I don't give it a 100 percent is that there are so many people at Budget Backpackers and there is so much going on my small town self felt a little uncomfortable.

Can't fault this place, great location, friendly staff and awesome free pub crawl!

Good value, excellent effort to create a culture within the hostel. Room was comfortable, staff were friendly. The bar was a nice touch, food was very good and reasonably cheap. Would recommend to others.

The hostel is in a good location just off the royal mile. Staff were friendly and helpful my only problem with the place was that the room and bedding seemed a bit unclean and there are nowhere near enough showering facilities for a hostel of its size. Half the showers (of which there weren't many) didn't seem to work properly and the main bathroom on our floor was out of order most of the time were there. Apart from that though we had a nice stay.

During the weekends the hostel is extremely crowded, cleaninng more frequently showers and toilets would definetely help improving people's stay. However, overall the hostel is clean, especially rooms and beds. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. The bar / restaurant in the hostel serves good and cheap food for breakfast and dinner: a great resource if you need to stay within your budget!

• 31st Jan 2014

No lift which is annoying when you have big bags. Great location

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed at! Restaurant, bar and lounge downstairs. Incredibly friendly staff and people. Only thing is it's not the cleanest.

Hi. Thank you for your great review. We really do try our best to make your stay the best possible. During your stay there was some renovations taking place which caused a bit of dust but thankfully they are now compete now and the dust is no more. Thanks again BB Crew :)

A real hostel! I love it!

• 21st Jan 2014

The staff here is very friendly and always helpful. From extending my stay to supplying ideas for stuff to do, every interaction I had with them was a good experience. The food at the Cafe is cheap and tasty; always a good combination for a broke student. My only complaint is that the showers usually take (what feels like) forever to warm up. But with patience (couple minutes at most), you get a warm shower.

• 21st Jan 2014

This place knows what backpackers need and want. They have a very up to date style hostel. The pub crawls nightly were epic followed by a free informative tour of the city. The staff was awesome but I want to give a shout out to Josh and Shala for making my trip to Edinburgh for being extra awesome. I would highly recommend this hostel. This place rages. -California

Thanks For the great Review. These reviews make our job all worthwhile . BB Crew :)

Great cheap food available downstairs. This is a party hostel! Don't expect a lot of sleep. Amazing location. So close to castle, etc. good lockers but need a thick padlock, not a suitcase one, for it to actually lock.

Excellent location in the heart of Edinburgh - only a short walk to all the main attractions, bars, restaurants etc. Room was good size (twin private room) but bathrooms are very small and not much room to move in the shower, especially if you are tall. The set up of the lobby and lounge areas are good and open for people to get to know each other, but the atmosphere lacked, mainly due to the staff. They weren't rude but not welcoming either. Ok hostel but would try somewhere else next time.

The Budget Backpackers hostel has a rich, vibrant and varied ambience with friendly staff and excellent amenities, offering great value for money for the price-conscious budget traveller. The location is excellent, in the heart of Edinburgh's vibrant night life. A great place to meet like-minded fellow travellers. Highly recommended.

For £10 a night this hostel is amazing value. So close to grass market and walking distance to everything in Edinburgh. The rooms are basic but spacious and staff are super friendly.

We stayed in Budgtet Backpackrs for one night and the hostel was really nice. Good atmosphere and excellent location. We slept in a private room and it was clean and big. The only thing i can complain was that the shower was a little bit cold.

• 18th Jan 2014

I wasn't even installed properly and immediatly found some friends. We engaged in the pubquiz and pubcrawl, the atmosphere was really good! I went on the free guided tour, it was a good way to get to know the city. Another good thing was the cheap meals (breakfast, snacks and dinner) at the bar. One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in!

This is the second time I've stayed here- was here again only for one night. Good hostel, has everything you need, friendly staff.

Not all the showers are warm enough, so it's recommendable to try differents until find one that works fine. It's importante to label all the food, because when the staff clean the fridges, steals the unlabeled food.

My friend and I stayed for two nights and it was really great - very comfortable as far as hostels go; nice, helpful staff; great location! Only down-point: you have to shower in the morning, my friend complained about cold water for her evening shower.

My only complaining is about the internet (that didn't work in my room) and about the bathrooms, where there isn't privacy. However, the atmosphere in this hostel is excellent: everynight there are some activities in the bar, and good food is offer for good prices. The staff is always smiling and they are realy friendly. If you are in Edinburgh, book with this hostel, you will not regret.