Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Maybe you coul invest in some good quality windows to keep the noise out better, there was almost no difference between open and closed.

Confusion with beds and rooms with 30 man dorm but other than that good hostel!

Stayed one night in a double bed private. Was like an old hotel Room. Old bathroom and shower facilities. Did what it needed but I don't think it was worth the cost really. Staff were helpful and nice. But if you're not too fussed about a modern room it's fine and the perfect location made up for it anyway!

This hostel is awesome! Perfect location, great walking tours, and a lovely vibe. Regardless of who was working at the front desk, the staff were always helpful, considerate and up for a good laugh! The three ladies I had the chance to chat with who were working the desk were warm and convivial hosts! The room conditions was great, albeit a bit noisy from the street, so remember to bring your earplugs! (I had mine in and had no issues sleeping) Great bathrooms and all-around great place!!!

Nice place to stay. Wifi codes change daily. Had an issue with no bed in the dorm I booked but they resolved that be putting me in a better room (took an hour to get it sorted). Close to all major attractions, clean bathrooms...but the showers have no real room to get changed.

This was my second stay at this hostel because it's so great! The staff are amazing (Sharla you rock!!!), the location is central, and hostel is clean and well priced. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone looking for a good time in Edinburgh.

Really great. Only one small complain: I wish the showers had hot water.

A good atmosphere in a hostel very well located, close to pubs and to the castle. Possibility to use the luggage room with locks for free. Negative point: the breakfast is not included.

• 3rd Jun 2014

The walking tour was outstanding!! Locations was beyond doubt the best place to be in the city :)

I didnt like this place. Its in a good location, however the pub crawl they do was bad. Everything is expensive - towel hire, locks, laundry. It has no atmosphere. would never go there again

• 3rd Jun 2014

Awesome hostel. Definitely recommend!

A fantastic place, great staff!

Showers were cold. Had to make your own bed. I have stayed in hostels in western Africa which had hot showers!

• 29th May 2014

This hostel was in a GREAT location! Right in the Grassmarket Area, so it is near a ton of bars, restaurants and shops. The bedrooms were decent, and the bathrooms were clean, if a bit small. Did not spend anytime in the common areas, but everything else about the hostel was great, would definitely recommend.

I had such an amazing experience here! I only wish I was there for more than one night. The location was central, great food, wonderful hospitality, positive atmosphere and all around perfect! I also loved the FREE walking tour. This place was a great way to end my trip!

Really nice place

• 26th May 2014
  • Denmark

Awesome atmosphere, its got a real sense of community and everyone tries to get everyone involved. Free city tour and free pub crawl so there is something to suit everyone. I love how Budget Backpackers is connected with Kick Ass and staff mingle between the two. Loved the quiz night!! I can't recommend this hostel enough! If I had to criticise anything, the hand dryers were a bit pathetic, it was like an old man breathing on my hands. Also, don't forget a pad lock like I did! Highly recommend!

• 26th May 2014

Good for young adults who are looking for a night out. I wasn't interested in the bar crawl, but it was fine for a one-night stay. Also, the dormitory rooms have signs signaling quiet hours, which was nice.

• 25th May 2014

Hostel is almost inside the grassmarket which can be problem time to time at night because there was a lot of noise because of people who are drunk on the grassmarket but if you want a good location , you have to live with it :) There was 4 socket for 4 bed room which is great . Beds are comfortable enough . there is a bar inside hostel , it is so usefull when emergency starvation and thirst . Staff was always smiling and ready to help you ! definitely worth what I paid .

• 16th May 2014
  • Turkey

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Particular highlights are the good/affordable food, the free walking tour/pub crawl, and the excellent staff. Definitely recommend Budget Backpackers for anyone spending time in Edinburgh.

• 14th May 2014