Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Decent hostel.. Have a good free walking tour, clean rooms/bathrooms, good wi fi. We had some burgers in the other hostels' bar and they were terrible, as was the atmosphere. The area that it's in has tons of places to go however, so take advantage of that instead ! The kitchen is kind of hidden away and has good facilities but there's almost no where to put your food as the fridges are completely jam packed and there's no empty bins. Over all we had a good stay here though !

In a PERFECT location. Near pubs, clubs, restaurants, Greyfriar's Bobby, and in Grassmarket, where you can get a great view of te castle! Hostel had a good atmosphere, a bar, a pool table, and wifi. Bring your own padlock- it's expensive to rent one for the lockers. Also, towels must be rented, and if you need the Internet on one of their computers, it's a pound per 30 minutes- Just a heads up. Overall, great stay and really nice staff! Recommend it!

Thanks for the great Review and you positive comments on out location and good to hear you had a great stay. We don't hire Padlocks and the price paid of £4 is for the purchase of a padlock . We do not make any profit on our padlock but they are a little bit higher in price as we provide high quality padlocks to ensure high levels of security. Customers can of course bring their own padlocks. Thanks again for giving us a great review BB Crew :)

I had a great time in the 2 floor dormdorm. The hostel has an excellent bar and serves good food for reasonable prices. The music they play is also the best of any bar iveI've ever been to, everything from rjd2 to the avalances to Lou Reed - it really makes for a good ambiance. Overall the only disappointment was that i was stuck with a corner top bunk right by the door where a security light on the other side makes a constant loud buzzing sound.

Thanks for the awesome review. Sorry about the Buzzing Light . We have reported to our maintenance team to have it replaced . We hope you will come back soon . BB Crew :)

This place was great value for money. Very central in a great area. Friendly staff and reasonable prices. Bathrooms were tiny but no other negatives really. Beds were pretty comfortable for bunks and nicely spaced in the room. Would revisit this place for sure

5 star hotel )

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Azerbaijan

It is a nice place to stay in! Staff is friendly and helpful. On the top of that, it's situated in a very convenient point of the city.

• 31st May 2015
  • Mexico

I think this is a great place to stay. The location is excellent, the staff was really helpful, the facilities were clean, the beds are comfortable...I will definitely stay again and would recommend it to other people.

Great location right near the Royal Mile and had a really great atmosphere of people! Only negative was that there was a drunk guy wandering the halls trying to get into my room at 4am.

The facilities were very nice and there is a good vibe. However, my experience with the staff was very poor. They are a bit arrogant and condescending. I think this is probably because they are so used to having young college students staying that they forget the customer is always right. I really did think I was treated poorly and also happened to see a desk attendant arguing with a patron while she was trying to check in.

Cool hostel, the set up in the common room made it a little hard to meet people. Having access to kickass bar was a plus. I'd stay again.

Unreal hostel, great value for money, fun atmosphere, located right amongst the bars and restaurants. Shout to Aussie Rachel and Kiwi Dee for being so friendl and helpful!

The bathrooms could be well kept a little more. It smells like urine all the time.

Great location; 5 Minutes walk from the Royal Mile, not even a minute from all the bars/pubs/night-life. We stayed in a 30-Bed mixed dorm; very clean & the lockers provide the extra security for personal belongings. Only thing that was tricky were the windows & the ventilation in the room. Otherwise, really friendly staff & good prices.

Nice bar, excellent location, friendly staff and tidy toilets and rooms.

Wonderful friendly staff and by far the best facilities of any hostel I've ever stayed at!

• 21st May 2015

Fantastic location! Hot showers depend on your timing and which stall you pick. Toilets don't flush very well. Staff were not the friendliest, they just stared at the computer screen and never looked up.

Thanks for your review. Thanks for letting us know about the toilets not flushing properly . We will get our maintenance team to check them all out. Sometimes our staff can get a little engrossed with checking bookings on the computers but thanks again for letting us know and we will address this problem to ensure there is always good customer service for all our customers. Thanks for the positive comments on Location and we hope you will come back again soon. BB Crew

While my stay itself at this hostel was a generally positive experience, there is about a 98% chance that my credit card information was stolen when I ran it at this hostel to pay the remainder of my bill. It was the only time I used it while in Edinburgh. This resulted in a loss of multiple thousands of dollars. I will NEVER again stay at this hostel or ANY other hostels in this chain and recommend that future guests be very careful how they pay their bills.

• 18th May 2015

Bathrooms, both en suite and shared were dirty, as were towels.

Great Hostel with an excellent atmosphere and great beds that have USB charging points and by each bed.

Lockers and plugs in room and right next to bed! Such a luxury. The whole place was very clean. Great common area for socializing. The atmosphere was fairly social with a younger traveller crowd (which we fit into). Sister hostel's bar is really good too and cheap. Location was great--really close to all night life and the rest of town. Walked everywhere. Only thing is the temperature in the showers were unpredictable which wasn't pleasant. But overall would recommend it hands down!