Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great hostel in a cool city! All of the staff was helpful and friendly, and made us feel welcome. Loved the bar/common area, altough there was pretty quiet there sometimes. It was supposed to be a quiz on wednesday, but apart from some other guests, the person holding the quiz never showed. Maybe the quiz took place in the other hostel (Kickass or something)? We stayed in both a 2 bed private and a 4 bed dorm. Both rooms were clean. The bar crawl was good and the walking tour okey.

Onlu stayed there for a night, but everything was comfortable, clean and the staff was very kind. We'll surely recommend it.

Very comfortable

• 27th Apr 2014
  • China

Slight walk from the city centre, but you get to see more of Edinburgh this way. Quiet enough hostel, no trouble sleeping, staff were very friendly and a bit of craic! Would definitely recommend staying with them.

• 27th Apr 2014

Great hostel in a great location. Will stay there again.

I just want say that it was a wonderful experience. The stuff made my stay confortable and unforgettable! I already recomend budget backpackers to a friend.

Free tour offered by the hostel was pretty bad. The guide didn't really know her stuff, hesitated alot before explaining the sites to us.

The location is awesome (great view from the castle as soon as you step out, and right in front of Greyfriars Cemetery!) & the rooms are tidy and spacious (heads-up if you are bringing a lot of luggage as there is no lift, also no Wi-FI in the rooms). Great bar with delicious food! I don't have enough characters left to say just how awesome this place is, but I fully recommend it and we can't wait to get back to Edinburgh and stay here again!

Nice place, stayed for two nights. Good location in old town. Directly across the grave where JK Rowling came up with some of the Harry Potter names. A bit of a walk from the strain station if u don't know where u really are. My room was nice, bathrooms and showers however are not the best, but for the price it was fine.

It was a great hostel, exteremly friendly staff.

• 10th Apr 2014

I really liked the fact that there was a place to buy affordable food and beverages in this hostel.

Loved this hostel! The rooms were so spacious and everything was very clean. There was a fun vibe and the staff was so helpful. I had to cancel a night early due to unforeseen events and they didn't have any problem canceling my last night and refunding me my money. Would definitely stay here again.

The staff was very nice and helpful and they are always very friendly and funny. I love the tree house chill out room above the cafe!

You're either going to love it or hate it because it's a busy place. If you like a buzzing atmosphere then you'll love it but if you seek something more sedate then go somewhere else. Other than that all the facilities are fine.

Such a great hostel. The free walking tours and pub crawls are a blast and the staff are all amazing. I stayed in the 30 bed dorm and was surprised that it actually had two levels, so it was like being in a 20 bed. Can't complain about a thing, had a wonderful time here!

Really fun place to be! Also greatest location because you are literally in the middle of all the attractions and very near great places to eat. Although maybe not the cleanest place I have stayed, it was still a rather accommodating place. This hostel also provides the greatest activities and the pub crawl was the funnest thing I did in Edinburgh!

The location is perfect. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There is a lovely atmosphere, particularly in the chillout room and the downstairs area. However, the bathrooms and showers were not particularly clean.

Great location with a young fun vibe even on a Monday night. Staff was laid back, fine, not too helpful but didn't bother me. Only major complaint was cold showers!!! Also the 30 person room not as scary as it seems

Our stay was relly good, the café is excelent to met people, with the ticket of your stay you have 15% off in some things that you can eat in there. About of the cleanliness don't worry about it , the showers are so good and with hot water. The room too, with big lockers (don't forget your padlock). The Only drawback that I found was that you can't close the Window of your room, and the location of the hostel is in a place that is a little bit noisy, but with an earplugs you are going to sleep

Definitely one of the best hostels we've ever stayed in! spacious rooms, comfy beds, big lockers in the rooms (one for each bed), FREE pub crawl (lots of fun!) and walking tours organised by the hostel, a café and bar in the hostel, huge well equipped kitchen with an intelligent system of organisation, good wi-fi (very secure because of daily changing codes). The bathrooms are shared (nothing to worry about but maybe sth you should know). Highly recommended!