Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

I really enjoyed my stay at Budget Backpackers in Edinburgh! The Location is great and very close to the Royal Mile. Princess Street isn´t too far either. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the free Walking tour was a lot of fun! Definitely gonna come back to stay here when I´m in Edinburgh the next time :)

Its so good to hear back from our customers that have enjoyed their stay with us. Our Location is always a hit with our customers and good to hear you enjoyed the free walking tour. This tour is basically designed to help our guests get their bearings round our beautiful city as well as an opportunity to meet other guests in the hostel so good to hear we achieved our objective . Hope to see you back soon BB Crew :)

It was the best hostel I stayed at my trip to the UK. Great friendly staff lots of things to do and see in the area. The sister hostel had a awesome bar you could go too a block away. Only thing I'd recommend is not forgetting your phone charging cord plugged in when your not in your room. Someone stole my apple cord and replaced it with a broken one. Other then that awesome place good place to stay!!

Thanks for the awesome review. Good to hear our staff added to your experience and you liked our Sister hostels Kick Ass Bar. Sorry somebody stole your apple cord. Some people just have no respect for other guests in shared dorms. We hope this did not spoil your visit to Edinburgh and hope you will be back again soon BB Crew :)

It's a very big hostel and my room didn't have a bathroom inside the room, so had to walk every time.... A lot of Spanish young people staying long term at this hostel. They seems to work here or looking for a job, kitchen is always occupied by them and a bit noisy. Room is clean and staff are friendly. Bathroom and shower needs maintenance and cleaning more. It's close to main attraction and Edinburgh Caste, convenient to go everywhere.

Overall great hostel experience. The staff is friendly, helpful and laid back. There's a nice bar and a chill-out room you can spend time in and the atmosphere is quite nice. The rooms are sized well and they're clean. Comfy beds and good lockers. Excellent value for the price of the place!

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Finland

Thanks for the good review and the positive comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back soon. BB Crew :)

Pretty okay place. The wifi was broken for about 5hours once I checked in so that was a major inconvenience. Beds were nice, with outlets next to each one.

Staff were always helpful. The only downfall was the cold showers, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for after a cold day exploring. Great location, security keys were a little tricky. I also was traveling with my mother who enjoyed her stay here also!

Great value for money hostel. Rooms are big and clean with everything you need - lockers, personal outlets and lamps. Never had to wait for a shower and they were pretty decent. Always people in the bar/food area to meet and staff were really friendly. Will stay here next time I'm in Edinburgh!

No bad yersel

• 13th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

Awesome place to stay, and really good atmosphere. The girl at reception gave me a free cider. What a legend!

Best hostel I've stayed in yet.

• 12th Jul 2015

I really like this hostel, is very modern, clean and has good atmosphere. The only thing for me was the showers, both days I stayed I had freezing water, it took ages to have hot water and only for 5 mins.. but everything else was good.

Cool staff, cool common room and bar. We wanted to stay in Edinburgh another night but had to leave because of the air quality in our room. Brutal, brutal smell. I would not recommend staying here.

Hi . Thank you for your positive comments regarding our Staff and Bar . Regarding the odour in the room . The room you stayed in has 3 windows that all open for good ventilation but we did investigat further and we did receive a complaint from another guest regarding the personal hygiene of another guest in the room. Please accept our apologies for this . We would have immediately asked the other guest to leave had we known sooner. We hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh BB Crew :)

I can't say enough about the location - it's amazing. I stayed in the very large dorm and found everything clean and comfortable. The wifi is a little spotty, but not bad. The staff were friendly, funny, and helpful. My only complaint is about the bathrooms. The two showers outside the huge dorm I was in were both out of service, and there didn't seem to be more than 6 others showers elsewhere in the whole rest of the hostel...seems like the person to shower ratio was not ideal.

This hostel was great. Perfect location as it is within walking distance from most everything important. The bar inside I'd great and convenient.

The hostel was ok. The beds were nice, clean and confortable. The staff is not so friendly. The best thing was the location.

• 30th Jun 2015

Neutral experience. Some of the staff were very helpful, others were very cold. Food was expensive, and the hostel has many dumb rules about outside food/check in times.

this place was very homey. staff is good and facilities are clean. I stayed in the thirty bed which was OK. I wouldn't recommend that room. it was facing the main road and a lot of drunk kids like to hang out in that area and the windows stayed open cause it was hot. bring ear plugs if you stay there. bar and lounge was pretty cool. wifi was not that awesome but what can you expect for the price. some showers are better than others. super close to everything. also, 2£ deposit for the key

The coolest hostel I've been to so far: friendly staff, original interior design, good and chill atmosphere, and comfortable beds!

• 28th Jun 2015

Stayed with my mom in the twin private room for one night and were absolutely satisfied. The room was really nice, clean and very spacious for a hostel; comfortable beds. The only disadvantage is noise in the evening, but that's not the staff to be blamed ;) Kitchen is huge with lots of storage space. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Latvia

Decent enough for a cheap hostel. The staff was friendly and helpful (suggesting stuff to do), and the location is great. We stayed in a 30 person dorm though, which had a weird feeling, plus this one guy snored REALLY loud...