Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

I have loved Edinburgh!! The hostel has a good location.. Very clean!! If I could Come back there I would stay in the Same hostel!!

• 10th May 2014

This hostel is from far the best I stayed in ! Everything is new and clean. The crew is amazing, always available to answer all our questions and really fun. They give great choice of activities. Everything has been perfect for me for those three days ! Thank you backpackers !

• 9th May 2014

Great atmosphere here. The bar downstairs is well decorated and has a Great vibe at night. When we arrived there was an error in our booking, but they fixed right away, which gave us a 4 bed room to ourselves. Bathrooms are a little cramped especially when there are a lot of people staying, but overall we enjoyed our stay.

THIS HOSTEL IS NOTHING SHORT OF FANTASTIC! I'm travelling by myself, a lot of other people staying were as well. Everyone is ready to socialise, pub crawls are great fun and the staff couldn't be better. I want to go back!!

Haters for not allowing you to bring other people back to the hostel after a night out. Otherwise good.

Good hostel. Had lots of activities such as pub crawls and free walking tours which was great for seeing the city and meeting new people. Great deals on food and drinks and had an overall great vibe. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location couldn't be better.

It was a great location, just a few minutes walk away from the Royal Mile. The facilities are great- it's kept clean and is also decorated in such fun ways. There's a big common area where a lot of people hang out so it's easy to meet people. It has a very social atmosphere, and they have bar crawl on the weekdays which are very fun. On top of that, the staff is helpful, personable, and fun. Would definitely recommend!

• 4th May 2014

The location is wonderful being right near the grassmarket (pubs) and close to the castle. It can be a tad difficult to find the first time but i you follow the instructions given it is good. I was disappointed with one female staff member who was quite rude and spoke in a snooty tone when you asked her something that she believed you should know . I was also there when there seemed to be a lot of Hen/Stag do's so there were a lot of males int he female WC being sick which was gross.

Great hostel in a cool city! All of the staff was helpful and friendly, and made us feel welcome. Loved the bar/common area, altough there was pretty quiet there sometimes. It was supposed to be a quiz on wednesday, but apart from some other guests, the person holding the quiz never showed. Maybe the quiz took place in the other hostel (Kickass or something)? We stayed in both a 2 bed private and a 4 bed dorm. Both rooms were clean. The bar crawl was good and the walking tour okey.

Onlu stayed there for a night, but everything was comfortable, clean and the staff was very kind. We'll surely recommend it.

Very comfortable

• 27th Apr 2014
  • China

Slight walk from the city centre, but you get to see more of Edinburgh this way. Quiet enough hostel, no trouble sleeping, staff were very friendly and a bit of craic! Would definitely recommend staying with them.

• 27th Apr 2014

Great hostel in a great location. Will stay there again.

I just want say that it was a wonderful experience. The stuff made my stay confortable and unforgettable! I already recomend budget backpackers to a friend.

Free tour offered by the hostel was pretty bad. The guide didn't really know her stuff, hesitated alot before explaining the sites to us.

The location is awesome (great view from the castle as soon as you step out, and right in front of Greyfriars Cemetery!) & the rooms are tidy and spacious (heads-up if you are bringing a lot of luggage as there is no lift, also no Wi-FI in the rooms). Great bar with delicious food! I don't have enough characters left to say just how awesome this place is, but I fully recommend it and we can't wait to get back to Edinburgh and stay here again!

Nice place, stayed for two nights. Good location in old town. Directly across the grave where JK Rowling came up with some of the Harry Potter names. A bit of a walk from the strain station if u don't know where u really are. My room was nice, bathrooms and showers however are not the best, but for the price it was fine.

It was a great hostel, exteremly friendly staff.

• 10th Apr 2014

I really liked the fact that there was a place to buy affordable food and beverages in this hostel.

Loved this hostel! The rooms were so spacious and everything was very clean. There was a fun vibe and the staff was so helpful. I had to cancel a night early due to unforeseen events and they didn't have any problem canceling my last night and refunding me my money. Would definitely stay here again.