Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

I loved this hostel. My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights here and really enjoyed it. Perfect location for exploring the town, the food was pretty good and everything was clean! Also staff was super friendly and gave us helpful tips on how to spend our day. Also gonna note that there is a pub down the street called Biddy Mulligans that my boyfriend and I ate dinner pretty much every night cause the food was so good! I would defenitly stay at this hostel again :) thanks guys!

Fantastic time, great place to be

• 9th May 2015
  • Poland

A good hostel. We made a change in our booking and had no problems with it, thank you. In the toilet I would suggest some wall hangers for cloths, and, if possible, a better isolation of the "loo compartiment".

Great for backpackers great vibes great atmosphere

Thanks for the Awesome Review. BB Crew :)

Staff were helpful and the hostel itself was decorated nicely + in a lovely location. My only criticism would be that my room absolutely reeked of sweat + was v. stuffy, which made sleeping difficult. I realise that the hostel cannot control the body odor of its guests, but I think that better ventilation would go a long way towards solving this problem.

• 3rd May 2015

Hi Thank you for you positive comments . We are sorry that somebody in your room had questionable hygiene levels . Its not something we have a lot of control over but we would have been more than happy to ask the guest in question to use our showers to improve the experience for other people in the room. We do hope you will come back and visit us again soon. BB Crew :)

It was a very enjoyable stay. The food offered was fairly priced, the beds were so comfortable (and you didn't have to make your own bed!), the rooms were accommodating, the bathrooms nice, spacious and always clean, the kitchen/dining room was great- spacious enough for several groups to be cooking at the same time, and multiple sets of everything-, the chill-out room was cute, etc. etc. Everything was comfortable. Would DEFINITELY stay here again if I were ever in Edinburgh again.

Hi Wow thanks for the cool review. We really try our best and it is always good to get such positive feedback . Hope you had a safe onward journey and that you will visit us again soon. BB Crew :)

Great hostel in an amazing location. I loved the bright decor and the room cards which kept everything locked and safe. Everything was very clean, even the communal bathrooms, which were obviously cleaned fairly often through the day. Staff were slow to check us in, they seemed in no hurry despite it being quite late at night and us being tired, and it was clear English was not their first language! Cafe was lovely though and luggage storage facility very useful - thank you.

Hi Thanks for reviewing us and giving us good feedback . Sorry the crew where a bit slow in checking you in, especially since it was late at night. We are on the case to speed up and improve the check in process. Thank you again for the good comments BB Crew :)

The best thing about Budget Backpackers was the location- right off the Royal Mile and easily accessible to all of old town. I would probably stay here again just for that, and the fact that there were lockers in the rooms (bring your own lock). It wasn't a very friendly hostel, both the staff and the other backpackers. The girls bathroom was disappointing, only 2 showers and 2 toilets, but I never had a problem.

Thank you for your great comment on our location. We normally get great reviews for our staff and can only apologise that we did not achieve our normally high level of customer service. We do have several female only shower and also 22 other mixed private pod showers that can be used for male and female guests. We have now added extra signs showing all their location to ensure our guests can find them all easily. Thanks again for reviewing us . BB Crew :)

Only got to stay one night but was a really nice stay. The staff were very friendly and the beds were very comfortable. Each bunk had a little reading light which was nice and lockers were there (make sure you bring or buy a padlock). The location was Ace!

Thank You ! Thank You ! Thanks You !....Good reviews always make us smile. See you back soon BB Crew:)

It's rather hard to get some sleep in a room with 20+ people.

The only problem is that the kitchen close at 10 pm. The staff in the evening are not nice

I don't think I can ever recall a place where I could actually hang out with the staff, thanks for introducing me to the nightlife scene of London, one of the most memorable places I have stayed during my road trip so far

The hostel was nice to stay in, with good facilities. The room I stayed in was on the front of the hostel on Cowgate and was therefore really loud, as it's a very busy street.

• 9th Apr 2015

Amazing place with great people.

• 9th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Budget Backpackers is a pretty organized establishment. The beds are comfortable and each one has a locker, reading light, mini shelf and power outlet. The laundry facilities are easily managed. The location is great and my interaction with the staff were pleasant. I would definitely recommend it to a friend staying Edinburgh

Really helpful staff, the best location available, quiet rooms, clean spaces, and a great bar/cafe. The lockers were large enough to fit your backpacks in. The rooms are located upstairs so that the noice from the street won't disturb significantly. The distance from the railway station is quite short and easily walkable. There's also a good variety of different kinds of restaurants just next to the hostel. And don't forget the awesome free walking tour!

Stayed only one night and didn't have time to go out, socialize with other guests/staff or make use of the common rooms. Everything was perfectly fine and it's a good place to stay for sure. Nothing special though and not a stay that I'll remember.

too many fire alarms

Basically I was thinking it will be a normal dorm room with continuous pile of beds all around. But was amazed once I checked in. It was a great one days stay here !! Definitely I will go back to this if I visit Edinburgh again :-)

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • India

Thank you for the great positive feedback. We have just upgraded all our rooms and it is good to see our customers are impressed with the finished product. We hope you will tell your friends and that you will visit us again soon. BB Crew :)

Absolutely great. Cheapest Hostel I could find, but probably the best one, still. The free guided tour started 25 minutes late without warning, but then again it was free, so I can't complain. Other than that it's hard to find something bad about this hostel, spacious rooms, an own bar, pool table, games, good kitchen, lockers, good beds, enough power outlets.. I'll be back :)

• 1st Apr 2015

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be back. Sorry the walking tour was a bit late in starting. Hope you had a safe onward journey, BB Crew :)