Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

My only complaining is about the internet (that didn't work in my room) and about the bathrooms, where there isn't privacy. However, the atmosphere in this hostel is excellent: everynight there are some activities in the bar, and good food is offer for good prices. The staff is always smiling and they are realy friendly. If you are in Edinburgh, book with this hostel, you will not regret.

Spent 2 weeks there in January. Excellent location, good atmosphere, great staff, good bar with good prices, free walking tour, free pubcrawl 5 times a week. I'm coming back next month. But dont get me wrong, it's a quiet place if you want to chill and sleep safe and sound. Just... showers are not very "hot".

Social atmosphere was brilliant. The bar is really cool, the free pub crawl was also great. Good hostel to meet people. Wi-fi was up and down, inconsistent. Location is great, 5 min walk from central station right in the city centre. The staff were not always overly friendly, but it depends on which member you talked to because some of them were great. The only bad thing about this hostel is the hot water in the showers is really sporadic, some have none, some cut out after a couple of mins,

If you want a HOT shower and NEED decent wifi. Don't stay here!!!

Stayed here twice in the last month and have loved it both times! Such a good atmosphere, the pub crawl is good fun and the hostel bar is nice and cheap. Only bummer was my showers both stays were cold but it wasn't the end of the world! Really good location too, definitely recommend staying here! Oh and the staff were friendly and helpful :) Cheers

Really enjoyed the hotsel. This was my first time to Edinburgh, and I'm really glad I chose Budget Backpackers. The prices were a bit higher than normal for Hogmanay, but still not too bad. Great location, affordable, kitchen, and bar and cafe so there are loads of opportunities to meet other travelers!

Nice place, very central, close to the royal mile. Staff are nice and the bar is very cool. Our room was spacious and comfortable, but you have to make up your own bed, and take sheets off when checking out. Plenty of bathrooms, which was good for such a massive hostel. Wifi works well in the common area, but didn't reach our room at all. Nice place for the price.

shower in first floor does not work very well (quite cold). Everything else is good!

Excellent!

First Christmas away from home, but I wasn't home sick at all! Lively crowd singing Christmas songs all night :) Staff were very helpful and the cafe very affordable. Such a great vibe in the cafe that I only left to sleep. Hostel was a bit tricky to find since Google is determined to make you use little alleys, but after staying there I realized that taking roads was super easy. Great location in Old town right next to the Castle.

Very good atmosphere, good staff. Nicely decorated place. Good kitchen, Very nice food, cocktails and activities. However aside room 8a is very cold and windows do not close and isolate properly.+ being next to the kitchen with all the smells is not nice. I would not like to be there anymore.+All the stay long, there was no hot water in showers on the first floor.

The Budget Backpackers is a very cosmopolitan low-cost accommodation provider centrally and strategically located close to bars, coffee shops and vibrant night life. The hostel is chic, cosy and hospitable with a congenial ambience. A great place to meet and converse with fellow travellers, if a person is so inclined. And the in-house licensed bar has an eclectic range of beers, light snacks and so forth, all at attractively pitched prices.

Hi. Pleased you enjoyed your stay . We try our best. Hope to see you back soon . BB Crew :)

Excellent hostel, one of the favourites!

No hot water when i was there. Great atmosphere, lots of events. Excellent location and its clean.

Very good hostel with high value of money. Helpful staff, convenient location and facility, clean kitchen & shower. Super like the pub! Everything has surpassed my expectation. Though only one point maybe - some bed lights are broken and it would be better to have a bright corner for the ladies to make up (too gloomy in the rooms and the mirror in the shower was too far away...;)

The staff was amazing! They helped me at every turn, even finding a very obscure gift for my best friend. The free walking tour was great, Good Job Polly. Free pub crawl too. They'll even book or recommend tours for you. Plenty of places in the hostel in hang out and meet fellow travelers. I would stay here every time I come back to Edinburgh.

Another Great Review :) Thanks, we hope to see you back soon . BB Crew:)

I really enjoyed the staff's will to help and their cheer while working. Congratulations and keep up the good work! Also the bedroom was neat and cosy.

Awesome Review.. Thanks Its really appreciated. Hope to see you back soon. BB Crew :)

This was the best Hostel I have stayed at. Reasonable prices, good location, good atmosphere, and a good bar/cafe with excellent prices. If I return to Edinburgh I will stay there again.

• 17th Dec 2013

Thanks for the great review , we really try our best and hope to see you back soon BB Crew :)

this was the worst hostel ever in my life. you cannot find any service in here. you should cover the sheets by yourself as well as you should strip all the beds, you should wait for the check in even though you arrive there in the morning because the check in time must be over 1p.m. and also you should leave the room as soon as you wake up because the check out time is 10a.m. you need to pay whenever you want to keep your luggage and to use the computer. there are more but I have no space here.

• 17th Dec 2013
  • South Korea

Hi. We are very sad you where not satisfied with your stay. We ask customers to make their own beds so they know they are getting fresh clean sheets this also keeps our costs down so we can offer the best rates possible. Unfortunately we cannot check customers in before 1.00pm as our cleaners have to clean the rooms for new guests checking in. We also offer Free luggage service for customers arriving early. We hope you enjoy the rest of your stay while in Scotland . BB Crew

The staff were very unhelpful, the wifi barely worked, and there was no hot water in the showers.

Hi. Customer service is very important can you email us and let us know if it was reception or bar staff that where unhelpful. We normally get great reviews for our staff We have just been installing super fast wifi but we have had teething problems but it is all good now (fingers crossed) and available in all the rooms . Thanks for your comments BB Crew :)