Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

The walking tour was outstanding!! Locations was beyond doubt the best place to be in the city :)

I didnt like this place. Its in a good location, however the pub crawl they do was bad. Everything is expensive - towel hire, locks, laundry. It has no atmosphere. would never go there again

• 3rd Jun 2014

Awesome hostel. Definitely recommend!

A fantastic place, great staff!

Showers were cold. Had to make your own bed. I have stayed in hostels in western Africa which had hot showers!

• 29th May 2014

This hostel was in a GREAT location! Right in the Grassmarket Area, so it is near a ton of bars, restaurants and shops. The bedrooms were decent, and the bathrooms were clean, if a bit small. Did not spend anytime in the common areas, but everything else about the hostel was great, would definitely recommend.

I had such an amazing experience here! I only wish I was there for more than one night. The location was central, great food, wonderful hospitality, positive atmosphere and all around perfect! I also loved the FREE walking tour. This place was a great way to end my trip!

Really nice place

• 26th May 2014
  • Denmark

Awesome atmosphere, its got a real sense of community and everyone tries to get everyone involved. Free city tour and free pub crawl so there is something to suit everyone. I love how Budget Backpackers is connected with Kick Ass and staff mingle between the two. Loved the quiz night!! I can't recommend this hostel enough! If I had to criticise anything, the hand dryers were a bit pathetic, it was like an old man breathing on my hands. Also, don't forget a pad lock like I did! Highly recommend!

• 26th May 2014

Good for young adults who are looking for a night out. I wasn't interested in the bar crawl, but it was fine for a one-night stay. Also, the dormitory rooms have signs signaling quiet hours, which was nice.

• 25th May 2014

Hostel is almost inside the grassmarket which can be problem time to time at night because there was a lot of noise because of people who are drunk on the grassmarket but if you want a good location , you have to live with it :) There was 4 socket for 4 bed room which is great . Beds are comfortable enough . there is a bar inside hostel , it is so usefull when emergency starvation and thirst . Staff was always smiling and ready to help you ! definitely worth what I paid .

• 16th May 2014
  • Turkey

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Particular highlights are the good/affordable food, the free walking tour/pub crawl, and the excellent staff. Definitely recommend Budget Backpackers for anyone spending time in Edinburgh.

• 14th May 2014

I have loved Edinburgh!! The hostel has a good location.. Very clean!! If I could Come back there I would stay in the Same hostel!!

• 10th May 2014

This hostel is from far the best I stayed in ! Everything is new and clean. The crew is amazing, always available to answer all our questions and really fun. They give great choice of activities. Everything has been perfect for me for those three days ! Thank you backpackers !

• 9th May 2014

Great atmosphere here. The bar downstairs is well decorated and has a Great vibe at night. When we arrived there was an error in our booking, but they fixed right away, which gave us a 4 bed room to ourselves. Bathrooms are a little cramped especially when there are a lot of people staying, but overall we enjoyed our stay.

THIS HOSTEL IS NOTHING SHORT OF FANTASTIC! I'm travelling by myself, a lot of other people staying were as well. Everyone is ready to socialise, pub crawls are great fun and the staff couldn't be better. I want to go back!!

Haters for not allowing you to bring other people back to the hostel after a night out. Otherwise good.

Good hostel. Had lots of activities such as pub crawls and free walking tours which was great for seeing the city and meeting new people. Great deals on food and drinks and had an overall great vibe. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location couldn't be better.

It was a great location, just a few minutes walk away from the Royal Mile. The facilities are great- it's kept clean and is also decorated in such fun ways. There's a big common area where a lot of people hang out so it's easy to meet people. It has a very social atmosphere, and they have bar crawl on the weekdays which are very fun. On top of that, the staff is helpful, personable, and fun. Would definitely recommend!

• 4th May 2014

The location is wonderful being right near the grassmarket (pubs) and close to the castle. It can be a tad difficult to find the first time but i you follow the instructions given it is good. I was disappointed with one female staff member who was quite rude and spoke in a snooty tone when you asked her something that she believed you should know . I was also there when there seemed to be a lot of Hen/Stag do's so there were a lot of males int he female WC being sick which was gross.