Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Good value for money. Twin room recommended.

Had a great time at this hostel, amazing location, helpful & friendly staff and really cheap beer!

parking spots are difficult to find, but Edinburgh is worth to visit

Had a really great stay at this hostel. Will definitely recommend. One minor thing was that the hostel opens up to people of all ages. There was was a school group and an older man (who was a little odd in the bathroom). Other than that we had a good time.

This is literally the best hostel I've ever visited. The location is perfect, only a five minute walk from the royal mile, the castle, or the train station, and only a mile from Hollyrood palace and Scottish parliament. The rooms feel comfortable but extremely clean and nice. They really have you in mind. They even have USB plugs available for people who may not have the right converter for their cell phone charger. The cafe has a great atmosphere, and the staff goes above and beyond! A++

Just a word: awsome

Great location and friendly staff! Room was clean and spacious. Would definitely stay again.

• 24th Oct 2015

A world in one place! Terrific place with an relaxed and eclectric atmosphere. Found all the staff extremely helpful and courteous; which is worth '5 STARS' in anyone's book!

• 23rd Oct 2015

I liked the place . It was nice for what it is. However , the food I rdered at the cafe was pretty gross. And the Internet was a horrible connection speed. Also, there was maybe 1 staff member who actually displayed hospitality and gave off a welcoming vibe. The rest were pretty lame. It just felt like a frat house energy. Not my thing. But the rooms themselves were excellent !

A great place to stay, I would defiantly stay here again!

The hostel was clean with very friendly staff. The bunks were very sturdy and didn't creak when people moved around at night The showers left something to be desired as the shower heads in the ladies shower were spouting water in every direction. The drink specials were really good and I would most definitely stay hwre again.

Ok if youre going to stay just for few days, anything longer than this is probably not recommended. Can be noisy with people NOT paying attention to the keep quiet signs around the building. Showers are ok but some of the stalls are small and push button to operate shower is annoying & dodgy locks. Some fixtures broken e.g. bed light WIFI DOES NOT WORK TO A ACCEPTABLE STANDARD ANYWHERE IN THE BUILDING. NO Premium Wifi as website says! Pillows could be thicker. Some rooms smaller. £1 lockers!

El hostel no está mal. El personal no fue del todo amable, pero está bien ubicado. La limpieza es medianamente buena.

Great location! Friendly staff. Has all you need. The restaurant/bar/cafe is nice and affordable. Good facilities with lots of toilets/showers. 8 bed dorm very spacious, comfy bed. Only downfall was the kitchen was very busy and untidy. Would recommend staying here.

Very good hostel. Cool atmosphere. Only complaint is showers kept going from very hot to cold without touching controls! Would recommend this hostel though

Great location if you want a night out in Edinburgh.

Ok I except lots of stairs and hiking heavy bags up them even if I am elderly and unfit... But I expect showers and toilets all to be working....AND could you have at least a few showers for us who are not size 10 and don't like hitting the walls constantly and like a little privacy in the shower...i.e. a plastic curtain six inches from glass door doesnt cut it. shelf in shower for soap shampoo toothbrush etc would be very very welcome...simple idea...massive difference

Hi There .Sorry you had problems with the stairs .Our hostel is on 2 floors but it is a very old building and we are not able to install a lift. Most of our showers consist of a private pod with a shower and a separate changing area in front. There are 2 shower in one of the female only showers that only have a shower door and curtain but this does give complete privacy. We have now organised a shelf in this shower area . All other showers already have one. Thanks for the suggestions. BB Crew :)

My first time ever in a hostel. Didn't know what to expect, I found the best atmosphere I could imagine. Everyone was so friendly, from the staff to the travellers. I went on my own and I was never on my own. I enjoyed it so much that I ended up staying one more night. The location is perfect, spotless rooms and let's talk about safety: I didn't need to use my padlock at all. Respect is the first rule in there.

• 1st Oct 2015

the staff was very helpful with any question and the locatin is quite good :)

the biggest problem gor me was that there was no hot water.

• 25th Sep 2015
  • Israel

Hi sorry that the 2 showers beside your room had faulty valves which resulted in only warm water coming through. The other 22 showers in the hostel where all good with hot water and all our sinks had hot water. We have now taken the two showers offline to allow the valves to be replaced this week. Please accept our apologies again for any inconvenience resulting in the 2 faulty showers beside your room and thanks for letting us know. BB Crew