Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

My first time ever in a hostel. Didn't know what to expect, I found the best atmosphere I could imagine. Everyone was so friendly, from the staff to the travellers. I went on my own and I was never on my own. I enjoyed it so much that I ended up staying one more night. The location is perfect, spotless rooms and let's talk about safety: I didn't need to use my padlock at all. Respect is the first rule in there.

• 1st Oct 2015

the staff was very helpful with any question and the locatin is quite good :)

the biggest problem gor me was that there was no hot water.

• 25th Sep 2015
  • Israel

Hi sorry that the 2 showers beside your room had faulty valves which resulted in only warm water coming through. The other 22 showers in the hostel where all good with hot water and all our sinks had hot water. We have now taken the two showers offline to allow the valves to be replaced this week. Please accept our apologies again for any inconvenience resulting in the 2 faulty showers beside your room and thanks for letting us know. BB Crew

As two female travellers, we were very comforted by how safe the hostel felt. I also loved the atmosphere in the hostel's bar. And the drink prices were great! Budget Backpackers also provided a room to hang out in after bars were closed! WiFi is spotty in the rooms, but fine in the kitchen and other areas.

Hostel was over booked and I was transferred to its sister hostel - Kick Ass Hostel

This place is kind of what I was afraid hostels would be like. The beds were ok, but you could tell the pillows and blankets were older and overused. My biggest problem with this place was the bathrooms and showers. Disgusting. The toilets were always dirty and the toilet bowl cleaners next to the toilets even more disgusting. Opened the shower to find a USED TAMPON in the shower. I chose not to shower for 2 days instead. I saw cleaning people, but I don't think there is much they can do.

Thank's for the positive score on our staff and security. We use hotel standard mattresses and we replace our duvets and pillows every 6 months to ensure maximum comfort. Our cleaners work very hard 6.00am to 2130pm to keep our cleanliness standards as high as possible. We are sorry that a guest decided to not use the bins provided for the used sanitary ware. Your comments have been passed to our housekeeping team addressing the points raised to ensure good standards are maintained. BB Crew

I was happy about the hostel because the location was great and staff were very friendly. The value i paid was very cheap and i wasn't even expecting those facilities such as pool table, bar and tennis table... but it was there and free. Also hostel has little bar which is good and food-drink prices are reasonable there. In general, I recommend this hostel :)

• 21st Sep 2015
  • Turkey

Excellent spot in the middle of the old town right next to a lot of bars/clubs. Only a 15 min walk from the bus station. "Oink" and "wings" both excellent food spots nearby. Tom Riddles grave right next door. All clean - showers all need a bit of a mould scrub down (nothing dramatic though), second shower in 29 girls bathroom needs it's head fixed. Food was stolen from fridge despite being clearly labelled. Good laundry only £3 for wash and dry. Beanbags in chill out room need a refill :)

Hey Thanks for the good review. Thanks for letting us know about the shower head in female shower and Bean Bags needing filled . We are on the case.. Thanks again for the great review. Hope to see you back soon BB Crew :)

There are charging stations and lights at every bed which was really nice! The only issue I had was that it was that the streets were quite loud at night which made it a bit difficult to sleep.

• 18th Sep 2015

Awesome place!! Pretty big, but met lots of cool people. *free walking tours good way to do this* whole place had great atmosphere and cool decor, super awesome chill out room with TV and bean bag chairs and such, and nice 'bar' area downstairs too. Big kitchen with lots of cooking supplies. Nice rooms, spacious and clean with lights, plug-ins and shelves by each bed. Great staff too! Would definitely recommend

The location of the hostel is extremely good. I found the bed very comfortable (the pillow was very small,but not bad) the toilet and shower was clean and the room was very handy.light for each bed,locker and plug. Very satisfying

Thanks for the great review. BB Crew :) :)

Very nice place to stay, everything should really clean, the staff really amazing and the kitchen and bar are great

• 10th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

I love it so much,although the room have 30 beds,you will not feel crowded.And the people is so friendly to be quite.

Wow ..Thanks a million for the fantastic ratings you gave us . It is very much appreciated . We hope you will visit us again soon BB Crew :)

Great atmosphere and ideal location, with several security measures. Quite pleased.

breakfast was relatively expensive compared to other hostels. the room was clean and beds were good. it would be nicer if the room had any coat hangers or shelves.

A very travellers-friendly place.

The hostel is expensive for what you pay. We had no hot water in the shared showers and found is was not in a central location. If you want to spend the extra money, go ahead but just ensure you get an ensuite included.

• 4th Sep 2015

This place was a whole lot better than I expected it to be! The staff was really nice, the atmosphere was great, room was clean... I have zero complaints.

• 1st Sep 2015

The location is fantastic and the hostel itself is fun and filled with great people with clean and spacious rooms. The communal areas are fantastic for socialising and the food and drinks are really good quality at little cost. The only issue was the lack of warm water for the showers, but despite this I still intend on returning!

• 1st Sep 2015

I liked the hostel in general. However, the facility such as internet was terrible in my case. I had NO internet during my stay there. None days the internet worked for me. It was terrible.