Budget Backpackers Reviews

37-39 Cowgate, Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland

Pretty okay place. The wifi was broken for about 5hours once I checked in so that was a major inconvenience. Beds were nice, with outlets next to each one.

Staff were always helpful. The only downfall was the cold showers, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for after a cold day exploring. Great location, security keys were a little tricky. I also was traveling with my mother who enjoyed her stay here also!

Great value for money hostel. Rooms are big and clean with everything you need - lockers, personal outlets and lamps. Never had to wait for a shower and they were pretty decent. Always people in the bar/food area to meet and staff were really friendly. Will stay here next time I'm in Edinburgh!

No bad yersel

• 13th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

Awesome place to stay, and really good atmosphere. The girl at reception gave me a free cider. What a legend!

Best hostel I've stayed in yet.

• 12th Jul 2015

I really like this hostel, is very modern, clean and has good atmosphere. The only thing for me was the showers, both days I stayed I had freezing water, it took ages to have hot water and only for 5 mins.. but everything else was good.

Cool staff, cool common room and bar. We wanted to stay in Edinburgh another night but had to leave because of the air quality in our room. Brutal, brutal smell. I would not recommend staying here.

Hi . Thank you for your positive comments regarding our Staff and Bar . Regarding the odour in the room . The room you stayed in has 3 windows that all open for good ventilation but we did investigat further and we did receive a complaint from another guest regarding the personal hygiene of another guest in the room. Please accept our apologies for this . We would have immediately asked the other guest to leave had we known sooner. We hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh BB Crew :)

I can't say enough about the location - it's amazing. I stayed in the very large dorm and found everything clean and comfortable. The wifi is a little spotty, but not bad. The staff were friendly, funny, and helpful. My only complaint is about the bathrooms. The two showers outside the huge dorm I was in were both out of service, and there didn't seem to be more than 6 others showers elsewhere in the whole rest of the hostel...seems like the person to shower ratio was not ideal.

This hostel was great. Perfect location as it is within walking distance from most everything important. The bar inside I'd great and convenient.

The hostel was ok. The beds were nice, clean and confortable. The staff is not so friendly. The best thing was the location.

Neutral experience. Some of the staff were very helpful, others were very cold. Food was expensive, and the hostel has many dumb rules about outside food/check in times.

this place was very homey. staff is good and facilities are clean. I stayed in the thirty bed which was OK. I wouldn't recommend that room. it was facing the main road and a lot of drunk kids like to hang out in that area and the windows stayed open cause it was hot. bring ear plugs if you stay there. bar and lounge was pretty cool. wifi was not that awesome but what can you expect for the price. some showers are better than others. super close to everything. also, 2£ deposit for the key

The coolest hostel I've been to so far: friendly staff, original interior design, good and chill atmosphere, and comfortable beds!

• 28th Jun 2015

Stayed with my mom in the twin private room for one night and were absolutely satisfied. The room was really nice, clean and very spacious for a hostel; comfortable beds. The only disadvantage is noise in the evening, but that's not the staff to be blamed ;) Kitchen is huge with lots of storage space. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Latvia

Decent enough for a cheap hostel. The staff was friendly and helpful (suggesting stuff to do), and the location is great. We stayed in a 30 person dorm though, which had a weird feeling, plus this one guy snored REALLY loud...

I stayed at the hostel for just a couple of nights whilst visiting friends and found it to be really welcoming on arrival, both the staff as the overall feel of the place. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm and it was clean, with the use of lockers. The showers were hot and of a decent pressure; which is just what i needed at the end of a busy day walking about the town. Location was very central and not far from the tram which made it easy to get to from the airport.

• 25th Jun 2015

kitchen was closed by 10pm and no one told me that when I checked in. I went to the supermarket for shopping some groceries at 10.30pm and when I asked where the kitchen was the receptionist told me that it's closed, and I just wanted to put the dairy stuff in the fridge so they won't go bad but he insisted that he can't open it for that, even though no one told me. I had to throw the dairy stuff to the garbage. the showers on our floor were unisex and male only - no female only showers

Really enjoyed my quick 2 night stay here. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bar is really cheap, the food is good and decently priced. I would definitely go back!

I stayed 4 nights and really loved the location! Nice staff, felt very safe and clean. Free walking tour was a good start to my stay. Comfy beds in 6 person dorm, good kitchen facilities. I will definitely stay here again if I return to Edinburgh!