Buena Onda Hostel Reviews

Next to the Petrol Station, West End, Roatan, Honduras

The photos/reviews seem to be deceptive as this place is IRL unclean, uncomfortable, and uninspired. I've travelled extensively on a variety of budgets, so I'm not being fussy on value here. I left the same night that I arrived, found somewhere else to stay. I was not the only one either. The next day I ran into 2 guests who had also checked in same time, and they had moved to another location as well. The facilities were dirty, cramped, and run down. Budget travel should not equal run down.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Jamaica

This was one of my favourite places to stay in central america. The owner Sophie is absolutely lovely and always smiling. She arranged a big hostel BBQ one of the nights and I spenty many happy hours relaxing with the other guests on the deck in the hammocks under the fairy lights. I used the kitchen to cook with no problems and there are lockers in the room. It is slightly further away from the main stretch - good as not noisy but bad if you have to walk on your own in the dark

5 min walk to beach, close to the ATM, has a clean/chill kitchen/lounge as well as a breezy rooftop filled with hammocks.

Great atmosphere, lovely communal kitchen and living area! Lockers are provided in the dorms and there is great security at night, which was comforting. It is a 5-10 minute walk from the beach but this is no problem, even after dark and the petrol station is close if you need water or food. Not super cheap by Honduran standards, but nothing is on Roatan!

We had an awesome experience staying here. Originally planned on 3 nights but ended up staying 4 because it was so great. Special thanks to Matthew for being so friendly and accommodating! We will definitely recommend this place.

I spent 4 days in La Buena Onda, and everything was perfect. Matt runs the hotel and he's a great host, really friendly. The place is really quiet and clean, the wifi is good enough and the location is very good too just takes a 10 minutes walk to get to West End main area.

It had a good time in Roatán, Thanks to Sophie and Matthew for everything. The hostel has an excelent location, you have acces to supermarket and with a short walk you can enjoy the beach. If you're thinking going to west end you should go to Buena Onda Hostel.

Nice owner, Friendly staff, Clean hostel, Next to a place with groceries, ATM and bank. A little off the main area.

Very nice staff. Easy 5 minute walk to West End.

Hostel was AWESOME, had so much fun during my stay. Stayed in an 8 person dorm (4 bunks), never felt cramped/stuffy. Kitchen/common room are big with a huge DVD/book collection, lots of cooking supplies. Upstairs lounge area gets an amazing breeze, has a bunch of hammocks/beds to relax on. Security guard by the gate at night so I felt very safe. Location is great (petrol station has only good ATM in the area so very convenient.) Felt like part of a family, they have movie/BBQ nights. LOVED IT!

• 7th Mar 2015

Very disappointed, this was the least comfortable hostel I stayed at in central America. The manager was friendly but totally obnoxious, the day I arrived she repeatedly hassled me to donate money to a stranger's birthday present and then proceeded to lead a bunch of locals in a raucous, drunken party, repeatedly screaming at the top of her lungs (every 5-10 minutes) all night long. 30%-50% of the guests clearly had no interest and went to bed. Also, as a destination, Roatan sucks, go to Utila.

I stayed at Buena Onda for a week in February. Sophie the owner arranged an airport pick up to ease my transition into the country. I was greeted with a warm welcome and tour of the facilities. The hostel has two mixed dorms, but the staff tries to keep the girls and boys separated if possible. The only downfalls of this wonderful place would be the spotty wifi connection and the lack of water on occasion. Neither of those two things would keep me from returning.