Bunk Backpackers Reviews

11-21 Gipps Street, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Australia

2067 Total Reviews

Nice enough spot with typical aussie pricing - though better value than the other hostels in Brisbane. Also, reception sell the airtrain to the airport for $15, but you can get there for $6.70 (or $4.66 if you have a go card) by training from Fortitude Station to Toombul, then taking bus 590 to Skygate Mall. From Skygate there is a free shuttle going every 10 min to the international and domestic terminals.

Bunk is a very well run hostel however the beds were the squeakiest I've seen so far.

Friendly staff, really good kitchen- clean, well equipped and ample space for everyone. Bedrooms ok but very squeaky beds! Would happily come again.

Thanks for the great review and we hope you mean it and come back again! We'd love to have you back!

Great hostel! Super comfy beds( power outlet by your bed) clean showers and toilets, good kitchen with everything you need, nice tv lounge and cheap beer in the bar. And the location is perfect! What more do you need? :)

Another great review! Thank you very much! And you are right...what more could you want?!?! You'd be crazy to not stay here right?!?!?!

The rooms were fairly nice but could have been a little cleaner. They have a bar which is buzzin at night and it was a really great hostel to stay at!

• 30th Mar 2015
  • South Korea

The staff was friendly, there were several enclosed showers and toilets, there were washers and dryers as well as free internet. The location was very good and there was a bar attached. There were lockers in the room and some beds had outlets next to them. My only complaint would be the extremely squeaky beds. Everything else was tops.

Near the bars, far from the city. Nice atmosphere but the rooms felt a bit cramped.

Very nice room, a lovely breakfast and heaps of space in the kitchen. The hostel's free transfer to the lone pine sunctuary was incredibly useful and if you buy the tickets from the hostel you get a bagpacker's discount! The only complain would be the Internet I 'purchased' to have high speed Internet in my room which was painfully slow (slower even than the free wifi). Other than that, a lovely hostel!

Rating Bunk for me is difficult as I am NOT a backpacker and am comparing it to other forms of accommodation I usually use, like hotels or BnBs. So, if you are a backpacker and love sharing a dorm with other similar travelers, you are going to LOVE the Bunk hostel. And as far as hostels go, Bunk is probably one of the best. However, if you are anything like me and usually stay in hotels or BnBs, if privacy is important to you, then you are NOT going to enjoy your stay at Bunk.

• 21st Mar 2015

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review, and for being so balanced and considering that this isn't a hotel etc and factoring that in. We do have private accommodation available for anything from rooms for just one person to apartments for a group of up to 6 so if you would like to come and stay with us again we are happy to offer those options to you!

The staff had some helpful answers to our questions about our stay in Australia however they always seemed kind of rushed in their responses and overly busy. The rooms were clean, the breakfast had a nice variety of cereal choices. The overall vibe of the hostel is a party atmosphere and there is a bar in the bottom of the hostel so it definitely attracts a certain kind of person.

The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is there are no windows in the rooms so it can get very smelly!

• 20th Mar 2015

Hi there! For security reasons the large windows in the rooms are kept shut, but we do have plenty of air con available in the hostel and our housekeepers are in every day. However if you do have any issues we always encourage our guests to come down to reception as a friendly word with bunkmates can often sort out these sort of issues and we are always happy to help! Much Love! The BUNK Crew

The 8 share dorm with on suite I checked into was the cleanest hostel room I've ver stayed in. Each bunk bed was separated with a divider allowing for maximum privacy. Each bed had it's own socket and a private light preventing charging an light debates within the room, which was a common issue in most of my hostel experiences. The staff at the hostel were always happy to help and there travel desk helped me book some amazing trips in Australia and elsewhere! Loved this hostel

• 18th Mar 2015

It's a nice facility with some odd twists. Like the kitchen being in a separate building connected by a courtyard. The complimentary breakfast was nice. The partial partitions of the room are nice for some privacy but really prevents socializing with your roommates. Not the easiest place to meet and socialize with others. Not the worst either. For me it was more of a stop over glad it wasn't more than a few days.

Good hostel to stay at. A bit of a walk to the centre but close to China town and bars. Wifi is not fast but for $2 for 24 hours guess you shouldn't complain. Kitchen is small considering the amount of people staying there, can get really busy between 6-9pm and gets super dirty.

The first 2 nights were spent in a 20 bed dorm which wasn't the most enjoyable. Found a cockroach in my locker, 1 shower and loo per room. However the partitions throughout the room offered some privacy. After 2 nights there, I upgraded to the mixed 8 bed which is a newer part of the building and far nicer. A lot cleaner, easier to socialise however the shower was cold!

Great hostel best in Brisbane

Great place to stay. I'll stay again on the Bunk when I'm coming back to Brisbane.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Chile

Thanks for the great review! We would love to have you back!

I really liked Bunk, we stayed here a total of 6 nights, on 2 seperate occasions, and I found the staff to be super friendly and nice, great breakfast, great music in the bar, and amazing hot tub that no one used (except me and my sister!), the only thing I would say is for some reason the hostel has absolutely no atmosphere, and I think this is because of the layout and the fact in the rooms its like you have your own seperate cabin, and also because it actually has free wifi!

Bunk Backpackers has a fantastic, fun atmosphere. It's close to Chinatown and a lot of cool bars and restaurants. The hostel itself was clean. It's attached to a bar that was full and fun, and although our room was right next to it, I couldn't hear a thing from the room. The staff were okay and mostly friendly, but for some reason, they tended to ignore the line of people waiting for their help. Overall, I recommend this hostel.

• 7th Mar 2015

Bunk Accommodation....how very disappointing. Broken lockers that could not be fixed - complete lack of security. Staff - unhelpful - I booked 6 nights here...paid $450...left within 24 hours as it was so bad and was not offered a penny back - only credit - absolute robbery. Broken air conditioning, extremely cramped rooms, broken air conditioning, complete rip off and a supposed deluxe room is somewhere i would not even put a homeless person. Hated this place with a passion!!! DONT DO IT!!!!!!

• 7th Mar 2015

Hi there Obviously we take this sort of thing very seriously. Management have tried to contact you repeatedly after you came back to BUNK for another stay to use your credit to help get a bit more of an understanding about your experience because, as you can see from our other reviews this is NOT the normal BUNK experience! Please contact management if you would like any further follow up.