Bunkhouse Reviews

94 St Mary street, Cardiff, Cardiff, Wales

We had a Great time there. Best possible localization . Poor breakfast.

• 26th Sep 2014

I enjoyed the stay, it was clean and the staff was very friendly. Great location and great city! I really recommend it!

My bunk was very creaky, so only OK for sleep if you're the only one on it

• 15th Sep 2014

The common room bar area was trendy and fun. The bedroom itself was clean and simple, but nice. The free breakfast in the morning was a nice touch, but it is a short window for service (only open from 7am-9am). On the negative side, the kitchen common room for backpackers was dark and creepy. Even though it is waiting for remodeling, they could have put more lights down there. Showers were annoying because water only came out when you continually pressed a button on the side.

The location was really good, however they advertised as having a kitchen but when we arrived we found out it was 'under renovation'. Instead there was a dark little basement area with a kettle, microwave and dusty plates. Showers were also atrocious, the two on my floor, one with a mouldy ceiling and the other missing a door were unusable. We had to go upstairs to use those ones, meaning only three acceptable female showers in the whole hostel. Bar very expensive for a hostel.

Not the worst hostel, but definitely a few problems: "Kitchen" just has a microwave and a large kettle with hot water - no tap/sink to get water or clean dishes. Only open from 10am to 10pm, otherwise food not allowed into the hostel. No common room except for said kitchen. Only two lockers for every three beds. Showers run cold half the time, most do not have doors, letting water flood the floor. No luggage storage for early check-in. Otherwise not a bad place, but wouldn't recommend.

Great location; large room that didn't feel too cramped despite so many beds. However, only 2 showers for an 18 bed dorm and one had a broken door while the other was very close to flooding after a couple showers in a row. Lots of noise at night but it is on a major street and it was a weekend.

It was my first hostel experience and I really felt like they were looking out for me. I got swopped to a an all female from a mixed dorm and everyone was so nice. The only complaint I would have was that I'm gluten intolerant and there was nothing to eat for breakfast. But the grocery store is just down the street so I didn't starve :) Would recommend this hostel 100% every single time. Can't wait to come back!

• 29th Aug 2014

Rooms were airy and clean but with limited secure storage.The upstairs lounge/bar is a great space. Unfortunately currently the downstairs lounge/kitchen is uninviting, dark and not a space you want to enter.However you are not allowed to eat warm food in the common bar so I had to go sit alone in the dark (I had been upstairs chatting but was asked to move).This area also closes at 10pm. I felt the hostel had a few too many awkward rules and focused on the public bar rather than hostel guests.

Awesome location. Right in the heart of Cardiff, short walk to everything but the bay. Staff were cool, bar was even cooler, and the rooms were clean. The showers were faulty but nothing too drastic. Would stay again.

Rooms incredibly small. Mould in the shower rooms. Shower screens broken so water goes everywhere. Also had issues with the toilets. I Informed staff that there was no toilet paper in the toilets (one for the entire length of our stay) and seeming keen to get it replaced nothing was done which was extremely dissappointing. Kitchen area was basic but seems to be undergoing renovations soon. Hot chocolates were awesome!

good location, but very noisy, nearly 2am can sleep

Thank you for an amazing stay!! We absolutely loved the cafe/bar area! It was awesomely decorated with cool music. The hot Nutella chocolates weren't bad either... The bedrooms were clean and the location was really central which was great. I think I accidentally left my colourful pj pants with foxes on them in the bed I was sleeping in..oh well, I think they compliment the interior of the hostel perfectly.

Excellently located hostel. Very close to the Millenium Stadium, Cardiff Castle, Bute Park and also central train station and Megabus drop-off/pick-up point. Lots of places to eat/drink on the same street and also two mini supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys). Dorm bedroom and bathrooms were clean and well maintained and basic breakfast you'd expect from a hostel (breads, spreads, cereal, milk, tea, coffee, juice). Great value for money, no complaints!

Bunkhouse was awesome! Staff was great, the bar and downstairs areas were great. The first night it was less busy and it was very clean, the second night though was completely full and the toilets were disgusting. Just wrong. Wifi didn't work anywhere for me, but it worked downstairs for my friend. Overall though really great.

Great place, good atmosphere, bar cranks everynight but it's still quiet enough if you want to an early night you wont hear it (I was in room 3). Overall awesome hostel!

Excellent location, just a quick walk from the castle, shops, restaurants, bars. The hostel itself has a very beautiful and quaint lounge/bar area, the staff are kind and helpful. Not overly great rooms or bathrooms but they're clean and bunk bed styles, the only problem was someone had taken my assigned bed but that wasn't to the fault of the staff. Overall, I would say this is an excellent hostel and I'm very glad to have stayed here.

The bar is nicely decorated and it's quite cool. At the weekend, it gets very busy and lively with local people going there for drinks. You can't use the internet in the rooms but only in the bar. Good access and you can easily charge your batteries in the bar. In the bathroom, the problem is there are no hangers to put your clothes and the water is not always warm enough. The location is excellent, near bars, restaurants, city supermarkets, the castle,king's way, the train station...

We stayed two nights and loved our time! We arrived by bus and found the hostel very easy to get to. It was also in a great location. We walked to everything we wanted to see and to get anywhere we needed. The décor is so cute, it has a really homey vibe and we actually enjoyed being in the common area. For anyone staying in Cardiff I would highly recommend this hostel!!

• 6th Aug 2014

A great hostel. Great location and great atmosphere to relax after sightseeing and wandering around the city. Internet kind of sucks, but not the worst I have had in Europe.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4