Bunkhouse Reviews

94 St Mary street, Cardiff, Cardiff, Wales

I absolutely loved the atmosphere of this hostel! It was warm and inviting and everybody was helpful and friendly. The couches provided a great place to hang out and I never lacked people to talk to about anything :) The decorations gave the hostel an otherworldly feel, perfect for a country like Wales :) the bedrooms were clean, the bathrooms were clean, the breakfast dishes were clean and the breakfast itself was yummy!! LOVED IT!! WOULD MOST DEFINITELY GO BACK!!!

• 27th Oct 2015

I love this hostel!! It's really a cool place to stay.

Can't fault hostel location. Very central. Facilities standard hostel fare. Only grip which was major was response of night receptionist when we (two of us) arrived back late 1 night to find 7 people already sleeping in our 8 bed dorm. Apparently not receptionist's problem His response of 'somebody must have snuck in & there is nothing he can do about it' was astounding. He eventually found a free bed in another dorm to move 1 of us for the night. Other staff fine & did receive apology in morn.

It was very clean, but the cleaner smell was way too strong! And the bathroom light was broken. Other than that it was great! Super easy to get to!

• 12th Oct 2015

Were very impressed with the atmosphere and quality of the hostel upon arrival. Unfortunately, the staff provided very poor customer service. There was often no one staffing the front desk, the Wifi didn't work in rooms, the staff was often curt and unwelcoming, and the door keys are weirdly gendered (pink = girls blue = boys). The overall quality of the facilities was great, but there were just small peculiarities that made the experience a bit sour.

The most helpful and friendly woman checked me in. She also helped me with an awkward bag. It was like stepping into another world. Amazing funky delightful. I would recommend it to anyone, so different in appearance to any other hostel I have stayed at. Very easy to find and to access.

• 8th Oct 2015

Bunkhouse was a fantastic place to be and I had a wonderful time here. Great staff, great location and amazing atmosphere. I would certainly recommend it to anyone going to Cardiff. Cheers!

• 7th Oct 2015
  • Pakistan

I enjoyed my day here but the facilities were very basic. The kitchen only had appliances. It was also very cluttered as the area was used as storage. The women's bathroom on the top floor was in disrepair. The paper towel dispenser was broken, along with the toilet paper dispenser, the shower door on the right. Shower on the left didn't even have a door, or a curtain! The bathroom was also lacking space to change. The place was clean though, with friendly staffand fellow traveller's

The woman working at the desk when we first showed up was extremely friendly and helpful, but everyone else seemed kind of annoyed whenever we showed up (which happened 3 times: once for a towel and twice for directions to the proper bus). The shower needs to be constantly pumped to work, which is definitely a first world problem, but still annoying when you're trying to get things done. Location is fantastic & the decor is fun!

Beautiful bar area and truly lovely staff. Was in the mixed dorm, 8 people, room 7 and it was pretty good value - bunk beds are 3 tiers and there's bag cages under the bottom bed. Fairly tight squeeze but no worse than I would have expected. The beds were big enough for my 6 ft 4 hubby and the bedding was clean. Only prob was one toilet (there were 2 but one had no light) and one shower (there were 2 but one had no door) but I was there over the rugby world cup so there werent many other girls!

• 2nd Oct 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

Great location, bar and reception area. not a fan of the triple decker beds, and the toilets/bathrooms need some work doing to them , no locks on doors, broken doors, and generally a bit run down

• 30th Sep 2015

Horrible. The rooms are dirty, the bathroom, toilets are simply disgusting. Social area poor, ridiculous rules like saying that guests cannot stay at the lounge after 11p.m. Staff ok but also most of the guests, rude and inconsiderate. The only 'ggod' thing is the location, simply perfect.

• 27th Sep 2015

There is one employee that was rude & needs some training in customer service. My boyfriend & I were staying here, in separate male & female dorms. This employee wouldn't let my boyfriend back in his room until checking his details on the computer, he asked what the room was booked under so we gave him my name as I had booked it, & this employee was very rude & straight up accused us of lying without checking first, just because a male room was booked under a female name? Not impressed by this.

• 25th Sep 2015

We only stayed one night during RWC but this place was good. It's creatively decorated and the bar area is pretty cool. Kitchen is under construction I think, but they've provided a temporary one downstairs. No complaints!

Central location and easily accessed by public transport, convenient base for short stay in Cardiff but could be cleaner.

Comfy beds. Really really central. Nice bar/Lounge.

I really like it and I will consider to come back to the bunkhouse in a future visit to Cardiff, great location if you go for an event in the millennium stadium. The bathrooms need a bit of maintenance, otherwise a great place with really friendly people!

Stayed for rugby world cup weekend with 2 other lads. We were in a room with 3 other stage lads that happened to be good company. Staff are great. Bar in reception is lovely. Communal bathrooms are ok. Shame about the broken lock on the bathroom door. Finally the electronic bracelet keys are amazing. So convenient

• 18th Sep 2015

I enjoyed my time at Pride of Paddington, it was a handy location to the main centre, stadium and night life. Rooms were nice and staff friendly. It is central to the night life so if you're wanting early quiet nights it's probably not your place at weekends!

Great stay..at the heart of city, near to train station, castle and walking distance to museum. Food and grocery amenities very near. The 18-bedded female dorm is spacious. But only two toilets and two shower room attached. Bad toilet lighting, practically showered in the dark. No kitchen available at all.