Bunkhouse Reviews

94 St Mary street, Cardiff, Cardiff, Wales

An amazing hostel. The only thing was that the check out time was too early. Maybe make it 11 or 12.

• 4th May 2014

Really good atmosphere at this hostel. The downstairs bar is like none I've ever seen before. I didn't make it for the breakfast but a room mate said it wasn't very good. I was in a huge dorm, but it wasn't nearly full. The showers were good and so were the beds. Location is great and easy to get to from Megabus/centre of town. Thanks for a great stay

The greeting i and my German guest recieved from the Spanish gentleman on reception was fantastic.However the owner of the hostel was not so welcoming.He seemed to come over very cold to us and made me feel personally like i was very unwelcome. In the morningat Breakfast there he was again with the cold hard glare !! The sort of person who's eyes you could feel glaring at you from behind. This was by no means the best Hostelworld experience i had recieved in 10 years

• 1st May 2014

Really cool atmosphere , in the common area/ bar there were beds and loungers to hang out in. Bathrooms and bedroom were very clean, no lockers in the room tho but still felt our thing were secure . The kitchen was under renos so were unable to use them but hopefully it will be good to go by the summer!

A very good place to stay in Cardiff... The only bad things is that there's no wi-fi in the rooms and the lockers under the beds are too small... But the stay is very cheap so we can't really complain about this :)... Ps. They have a "fake" nuttella for breakfast, it's very good ;)

Nice hostel! and cute decoration

This place is amazing. I loved it, it was clean tidy and so funky. It was a very comfortable stay. The lockers in the room under the bed are a bit small but enough to for valuables in easily, just not a big bag. The showers and bathrooms are so clean. It is quiet. Which for some people is great but if you're looking to socialise probably not the place.

"Self catering facilities" - do not believe this to be a kitchen; it consists only of a kettle, toaster and microwave. Only a few of the lockers worked, and wi-fi is only available in the bar, and even then it is poor quality- which, if like me, you're tired and wish to watch a movie or research places to go- you don't want to be sitting in a crowded bar. However, in a great location, easy to find, close to everything, and relatively friendly staff.

I had a wonderful stay here, and really enjoyed the staff and the atmosphere of the common room. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The lockers were a bit small (though I could easily fit my valuables in it) and you need to be sure to bring your own lock (or buy one at Boots or something). That is the only down side to this hostel (and it's a really minor one -- unless you want to lock up ALL your stuff, you shouldn't have a problem using the lockers).

The BunkHouse is super funky! In the bar/reception there is so much to look at and a pretty cool vibe, it does close down pretty early which is a bit of a shame - though also understandable as there are some weird people wandering the streets at night. It was a little cold in our room with a bit of a draft coming through the window. The location is great for exploring the city centre & it doesn't take much to make your way down to Cardiff Bay. Overall, would definitely stay here again!

What a cool hostel, awesome decoration, super comfy beds, and soooo clean. The lounge and basement were awesome and perfect location. The only small problems I had were with the showers, as the spray is just set up in a way that my clothes just had to get wet. Also, I arrived downstairs at 8:59 for breakfast, when it ends and they wouldn't serve me. I get that, completely if it was been just like 9:02. But everything was still out. Just not the plates and silverware. Still a great stay. Thanks!

Rude staff that don't give clear instructions and no breakfast provided.

• 2nd Apr 2014
  • Singapore

Awesome hostel, amazing atmosphere! Love the interior decoration!

• 28th Mar 2014

The breakfast room was really sweet and the rooms were clean, but the showers were not ideal and there were not too many. Apart from that everything was alright.

Awesome hostel right in the heart of Cardiff's night life/shopping center. The staff was wonderful and friendly, the pub was quaint and cozy and all the aspects of the hostel were definitely the best I have stayed at.

Jess on the front was always smiling and happy to help. Was not very busy but still a great vibe and the location cannot be beaten for value for money. As for security thy have lock up facilities for your use and you should take normal travel security precautions like anywhere. All in all 10/10 for me

Best hostel I ever stayed

The man at the front desk was really nice to us and was surprisingly not annoyed by our obnoxious party. The atmosphere of the hostel is really cool, the locals go to the bar on the ground floor and lie down on the beds (yes, beds) or sit on mismatched sofas and chairs. There are many bars, pubs, restaurants and clubs lining the street that we wished we had stayed for more than two nights. The castle is five minutes away, and the shops nearby are awesome, especially the vintage shops.

• 14th Feb 2014

The "kitchen" is 2 microwaves, a tea kettle, & mini fridge that closes at 10pm. The staff merely checks you in & has nothing more to say after that. The hallway smell of the bathroom which are hit or miss on being clean or flooded from some kind of leak. The lights in the shower room constantly turn off & there is nowhere to put your things or hooks & the floor is wet. Was in 7 bed room. Too many beds in the room & nowhere at all to put luggage. The place looks cool but is a hassle. Wifi is bad.

Cozy hostel. The breakfast was very simple- cereal or toast. It would've been nice to have some fruit or juice considering the amount we paid per night (£20). The location was ideal in that we were close to everything but far from ideal for noise. Since it is located on a walking street in the center of bars and nightclubs, there are people yelling and screaming until 5am.It was helpful that the hostel staff allowed us to keep our belongings before/after checkout/checkin

• 7th Feb 2014