Bus Hostel Reykjavik Reviews

Skogarhlid 10, Reykjavik, Iceland

Our stay was ok. The annoying part was that we understood from the staff that breakfast was included in the price and in the end had to pay for coffee. It just gives the wrong message, either you give coffee with the rest, or you make people pay for breakfast and they can choose to have it or not (which was not yummy at all).

• 24th Jul 2015

The location was inconvenient being a 20 minute walk to the centre. We stayed in the 25 bed dorm which wasn't noisy but lacked atmosphere. The towel and bedding charges were also high and the staff were unfriendly and seemed a bit stand offish. Felt very big and although there is a nice bar area, lacking atmosphere. I would recommend a slightly more expensive hostel closer to the centre.

• 11th Jul 2015

Very expensive hostel (I know... Iceland...), some of the personnel are very helpful, some are not. We were forced to change dorm after one night (check-out at 10 am, check-in at 3pm...) and, apparently, it is completely normal! The facilities are not great (no independent toilets, only 6 bathrooms with nowhere to sit except the toilet, and 4 burners for about 12 dorms). And there is only one lounge room, downstair, where the bar is. The travelers are not very respectful and do not clean.

Great hostel. I really wanted to save money during my stay in Iceland. So I just picked up the cheapest one and didn't expect that much. But actually, Bus hostel is so clean, spacious, and facilities are great. I didn't mind about the location because it's close to the BSI bus terminal. It was pleasant to stay at Bus hostel. Thanx.

The staff was amazing. Vida and Niki where a wealth of information and help. The hostel was clean and friendly. The pub has a great happy hour. Private showers and bathrooms.

I didn't feel very welcomed by one of the staff members and felt more of a burden than a guest to her, though the other staff was quite friendly and accommodating. It is outside of the city center but an easy walk into it, while also a 10-15 minute walk from the bus terminal and bus station

Amazing place

• 2nd Jul 2015

Wish it was closer to the city and that the bar was more active. Had the capability to be a place where everyone can meet and then go out, but you really had to make the effort to do so. I did leave my bag here in a very secure spot though while I was out on a trek so that was great.

Staff were great and the atmosphere was fun, but there were fewer lockers than there were beds. I slept with my stuff in my bed in order to feel safe about it in a room full of sixteen. Prices were crazy high compared to most European hostels I've been at, but it seemed to be the cheapest in Reykjavik. Not enough plugs. But otherwise it was clean, accessible, and helpful.

An excellent hostel, especially considering the price. A little walk from the city centre, but not too far.

Hidden charge is suck

Facilities were decent, but staff was rude and unhelpful. Pretty far from city center (but I knew this when booking). You would be better off spending the extra 15-20 euros/night at a different hostel.

I was just looking for the cheapest place to stay in Reykjavik so wasn't expecting much, but Bus hostel was great. It was secure, the people there were friendly, everywhere was clean, functional and looked good. They offered lockers, towels and bed linens as well as snacks and drinks and a bar which was a nice convenience. They provided free toast in the morning which impressed me a lot and was greatly appreciated. The kitchen had everything you wanted and more. The beds and pillows were great!

• 16th Jun 2015

I had a good stay, and there was even a small breakfast! But the location is across a major road a bit far out of city centre. Also there was only one (!) staff member present at any time - so long queues formed at reception. He had to also work behind the bar, so reception was sometimes unstaffed. He was very busy so no-one showed men where the showers or lockers where or told me that there was breakfast - they only quickly gave me my key and got to other guests.

Amazing big common room with bar. Quite clean and have 2 kitchens, many bathrooms (I didnt have any problems with queues). The downside is that out of center, 15-20 minutes from the church and more 7 minutes from city centre. Also, there's no supermarkets around in the area. If you take a bus from airport, is better if you arrive at BSÍ station. The bus that take you to the center leaves you very far. Bring your own sleeping bag. The blanket there is 1000 ISK (6 or 7 euro).

Very nice place, the staff is friendly and helpful, good place to meet travellers and exchange some experience. It is not too far from the city centre and much cheaper than other places in the downtown, then it's a good compromise. The only point is that at the rush hours, it can be a bit difficult to get a shower because they are a bit limited, althought very clean.

Cheap and decent, but nothing spectacular. Dorms were clean with good beds, but limited charging points. Staff were a bit impersonal and dismissive. Location is average - close to buses but a decent walk from the city and in a very dull area.

Loved the complimentary toast and jam for breakfast! Washrooms were in okay for most part of the day, unless we were bathing late at night when it would already have been used by other people. The kitchen was great, although it got a little crowded during the peak dinner time when large groups of people were cooking and eating. My only wish was that I had booked earlier - couldn't get an all female dorm and it was slightly unsettling to be the only female in a room with four other guys.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

While there isn't anything extraordinary about BUS, it's clean enough and well located enough to be a good choice for someone wanting just a place to spend the night in Reykjavik. Especially so if you plan to get off the bus at BSI terminal in the middle of the night -- it's just a short walk away and checking in at, say, 1:00am isn't a problem. This was my second stay there, so I guess this fact in itself should serve as my recommendation of this hostel. :-)

Staff was very welcoming. The location is remarkably clean, which is surprising given the shared kitchen and bathrooms. The location is close to BSI and the city center, which makes the value great.