Caballo Loco Hostel Reviews

Gutierrez Ruiz 1287, Montevideo, Uruguay

Weird thing: hostel doesn't let you bring alcohol in. You have to buy theirs, and you have to pay in dollars -- and the prices are steep even by US standards. Other than that, the hostel was fine.

Caballos Locos is a good, sound hostel: the facilities, rooms, kitchen, bathrooms (great showers)... are good, secure, spacious... The staff are cool, friendly, helpful and professional... The place has a lot of light (e.g. in the common-room area)... There is quite a nice area outside... It is worth going to, for sure :)

Great place, the workers speak great English. Breakfast us reasonable - dulce con Leche was a nice touch. A bit far from the main nightlife area which was about 5 mins walk. But only 10 mins from Ciudad Vieja. Showers had plenty of hot water but they were a little cramped. Awesome local craft beer in the hostel fridge- I highly recommend the volcanica dubbel. Plus a free pool table.

I LOVE this hostel, I feel like I could live there and did not want to leave! It's obvious that the owners and staff care deeply about their project,and from the first moment I walked in the door I felt at home.The beds are new and comfy, the atmostphere is friendly, bathrooms and kitchen excellent, but what sets this hostel apart is the sheer warmth of the staff, who shared their dinner with me and explained in detail (and as if they hadn't said it 1000x already) what to do in the city.100%!

I did not feel safe because you could not lock the room and I had the idea that anyone could easily walk inside the hotel. The rooms were very cold, but luckily there was a heater in the room they switched on when you asked for it. The rooms were a bit poor and the beds unstable. The expectacions were high because of the rate that this hostel has but unfortunately not lived up to.

• 6th Jul 2015