Cactus Jacks Backpackers Reviews

1210 Haupapa St, Rotorua, New Zealand

This hostel was a disappointment, the worst hostel I stayed at in whole New Zealand. The hostel was smelly from smoke and other things. When I was having dinner in the kitchen I saw an area covered in mouse poop. The owner blamed it on builders and when I complained over not wanting to eat in the kitchen, the owner told me he could cover the mouse poop. It ended with that I left the hostel that evening. Because I felt that it was unhygienic. The owner refused to give me my money for the bed.

Well, the Hostel is quite nice, maybe a little old fashioned and contorted. It's ok to stay there for two nights... staff is a bunch of weird people - but most of them in a good way :)

Nice enough hostel, interesting layout.

You get what you pay for, very basic, was ok for one night

Prompt and friendly service made the overnight stay enjoyable.

• 19th Jan 2015
  • South Africa
  • Mixed Group, 41+

We only stayed here for one night in December. VERY good value for money, at this price we thought the hostel would be below average , its definetely not! It is one of the best hostels we've stayed at in NZ, friendly staff and super facilities! Especially the kitchen. Everything was very clean, and it's in the centre.

I found the young staff members to be very helpfull when it came to what I can see & do around Rotorua & value for money on the tours I booked. They were cheaper than the offers from the info centre.

As a lone female traveler, I would not recommend this hostel to other lone female travelers. The staff was super nice but some of the residents there clearly live there year round and spend every night getting very drunk and some of their behavior made me quite uncomfortable.