CaipiHostel Reviews

Av. Gomes Freire, 373, Lapa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I loved the atmosphere and the staff, overall it's a great hostel on a great location for very good price. The only thing I missed was a kitchen with fridge.

I stayed here for two nights at the start of my trip on a Sunday and Monday which are probably the 2 quietest nights in Lapa / Centro. There wasn't much going on at all and the Hostel was pretty quiet on these evenings,. However, I can imagine on Thursday / Friday this is a great place to be when there are lots of people around and the location is great for the famous Lapa street parties! The staff were friendly and helpful when I asked them anything. The rooms were clean and with air con, thoug

Muito obrigado! Muchas Gracias! Thanks a lot! MERCI! Can't wait to come back!

This hostel fantastic. It's possible to walk past it as there are no signs but if you look out for the building numbers above the door it's fine. When your there it's great, I didn't want to leave. The owner

• 5th Sep 2013
  • Wales

CaipiHostel is amazing! With a staff that makes you feel like part of the family. This is one of the best hostels I have stayed in. The whole team strives to make the guest stay as comfortable as possible and they accomplish that 100%. The facilities are clean, the location - although a bit sketchy- is really convieniently located to everything. The Atmosphere is the BEST of all. kind of like summer camp in all the best of ways. This hostel is worth it.

• 30th Aug 2013

Maravilhoso! Muito seguro! Equipe simplesmente formidável. Todo mundo super amigavel e agradável! A atmosfera no hostel é extremamente boa! Realmente fui muito feliz em ter escolhido o Caipihostel!

I stayed there for friday night! Perfect if you want to go to Lapa. The hostel is cheap and they offered a simple breakfast too! The WIFI was working really good (also in the rooms)!

Great hostel near the heard of Lapa, the party district on Rio. Hostel is really clean, really secure with key cards to get into dorms. Not the most lively hostel around, and staff were helpful at times but didn't seem to know much about what is around and give any recommendations. But I would go back.

The facilities are pretty great, good beds and very clean and secure. One of the most important parts of a hostel for me is the atmosphere and I felt this was missing: a well-organized, clean building, but a bit lifeless. Breakfast was pretty limited too, just one sandwich and some cookies, not a buffet as in most hostels.

Hi Man, Thank you for your feedback! but we feel that you might not have understood that there is no breakfast in CaipiHostel. As you should have seen in the descrption, we don´t advertise anywhere. What we have is just a little surprise for our guests to make a better CaipiDay. As for the rest, the atmosphere depends on who is at the hostel at that moment. There is nothing we can really do about it :)

This is the best hostel I've been to; next only to YES hostel in Lisbon. The beds are very comfortable, and once you are in bed you felt like you are the only one! The bathrooms are great, and the staff was excellent. The only complaint, it is located in a shady part of the city, maybe and felt dangerous to loiter around even during the daytime. In fact a small black girl wanted to pester me. And when I walked over, another little black girl came near me and trying to grab my bag.

Hi guys. Lapa is undergoing a big change and it getting better everyday. It is not a fancy neighborhood, and we like to believe that you will get the real experience. Despite the feeling(this is not Toronto), we are in front of the Central Police Station, and there is no real concern regarding security. You will see all the improvements next time you come. And many thanks to compare us with one the best rated hostels in the world. It means a lot to us :)

This hostel has a great vibe, is very clean and well equipped, and the staff are very helpful.

I arrived late night and when I wanted to get a bite, the streets were filled with homeless people and prostitutes. Wet rooms were not clean. Apparently a lot of locals stay at this hostel to party, so it is loud until the morning. due to the fact that walls and windows are so thin you need earplugs to sleep. (hostel must be aware of this as they already offer them.) conclusio: if you do not mind sleeping with earplugs, having no kitchent and a bit shady audience, here you got a cheap option

Hi there. Lapa is undergoing a big change and it getting better everyday. It is not a fancy neighborhood, and we like to believe that you will get the real experience. Despite the feeling(this is not Oslo), we are in front of the Central Police Station, and there is no real concern regarding security. We do get a lot of Brazilians from times to times, but this is a good thing, after all your traveling here :) Please understand that one night is not enough to fully experience the CaipiLife.

Good all round hostel in central Rio. Very close to the buses to head to the beaches. Really helpful staff, free caipirinhas every day. Clean, secure rooms with lockers and plenty of power points. Great stay....

It was ok.

Clean, perfect location, and nice atmosphere. The girls at the reception are super cute, the guys are super cool, and they are all super friendly and polyglot. Don't worry about the lack of a kitchen, they offer free coffee, and there are cheap restaurants and bakeries just a stone's throw away. The place to be in Rio.

• 15th Jun 2013

Great staff, atmosphere and beds. would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed here because I would arrive late and leave early needed to fly from Rio and chose the cheapest hostel I could find. It turned out to actually be a fantastic hostel! Great atmosphere with free Caiprinhas. I was surprised cause of the low cost. About 1 minute walk from Lapa with great bars/clubs/street parties.

Great place to stay in center of Rio de Janeiro. Big, spacious hostel with comfortable, clean rooms. Staff was extremely friendly, the owner gave us same huge special discount. The next door restaurant has very good food with special price for the hostel guests. All recommendations!

I only stayed for one night but I thought the place was fantastic. Next time I go back to Rio I'm staying in Caipihostel again! The staff were all really nice and helpful and the price is unbeatable. I loved Caipihostel.

• 28th Apr 2013

simply worst hostel I have ever been to, staff was just awful.

Hi, Usually there is an explanation for the guest problems, and more usually they are right. We are a new hostel and the improvements come daily. We are not perfect and never will be. But we are trying to be the best hostel we can and have the best value for money in town. Even though, from times to times, we will get something like this review. And there is nothing we can really do about it. I talked to all of our staff, and nothing important happened. Nothing worth mentioning. So yes, we might be the worst hostel. But hopefully, just for you :)

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels