Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

Nice friendly hostel, Excellent staff

• 6th Feb 2016

We stayed for New Years and was probably the best place to stay! If there is an event on I'm Edinburgh and you want cheap, meet other people and staff being very accommodating then this is place. Location is amazing! Only problems it's very very woren! But I'd go back in for New Years again. :)

2 good things about the hostel, it had a bed and the staff was friendly other than that it was terrible paying more than 2 pounds for this hostel is a rip off. Don't come here there are other hostels cheaper and way better than this. If you're desperate and come to this hostel you should go to the third floor where they have private and clean bathrooms don't use the comunal ones because they are so dirty. Highly NOT recommended.

It was the worst hostel I've ever been. It was absurdly expensive for what it offered. The hostel was full because of the New Year's celebrations, there were 2 people in the same bed in our room because of that. It was really dirty and in need of some repairs. There was no water in some taps in the female bathroom, the glass in the shower was transparent and some drains were not working in the showers. Men constantly entered there, as well. I've heard the staff making fun of some the guests.

• 30th Dec 2015

The worst hostel of my life!!!! Dirty, loud music, terrible bathroom, terrible rooms, terrible staff, the worst place that I have ever been in my life! And too expensive!!!

• 30th Dec 2015

Staff very accommodating to our large group and helpful as well. One negative though was it took a little too long after New Years to get the hostel clean again. Even on the 3rd Jan when I left some of the showers/toilets were still pretty disgusting. Maybe next time hire more staff for this busy time of the season to get it cleaner sooner.

• New Zealand

The only negative feedback I have is of the cleanliness at the hostel. For the New Year's period, more staff could have been brought in to ensure that bathroom facilities are in working order and kept to an acceptable standard. I understand renovations are happening soon so maybe this will be fixed for the 'new and improved' hostel. All in all, our group of 27 had an amazing time at Hogmanay and, for us, the hostel was perfect as we were were all about location, location, location!

Stayed over Hogmanay for 3 nights, was cold in the room, no soap or hand towels in the bathroom, bathrooms not cleaned once during stay as evidenced by vomit stains left in the bathroom for 2 days, rubbish bags piled in stairway & common room filthy-renos done recently but completely shoddy someone needs to spend some money on the place & hire more staff. Bins in rooms so people don't just leave everything on the floor would also be a good touch. Sorry but worst hostel I've stayed in.

• 30th Dec 2015

This hostel was a total dive. Hostel staff very unhelpful to guests. Management are doing up the hostel by painting it black so everywhere is dark and unwelcoming. Guests were smoking in rooms and despite telling staff nothing was done about the issue. Nice touch when it is illegal everywhere else in the UK. No security at all found a random person wondering around trying doors in hostel. Never ever stay in this hostel. For the same price you can stay stay at nicer and safer places.

• 30th Dec 2015

The Hostel is very well located, the staff super friendly, I think as the breakfast is included in the accommodation price it should be better prepared, the cleanliness in the toilets should be better maintained as well. It didn't bother me at all but I think are points to be improved.

Where do I start? They failed to add me to my friends group booking. No one answered the phone or responded to emails for 3 weeks because they were doing renovations. The place was in a mess from the incomplete renovations. The entire place is dirty, most of the toilets don't flush and the taps in the bathroom on our floor had no water. The staff partied in the bar area until 8am two consecutive days, which was so loud it was like the party was in our room.

I'm glad they were doing some construction, because the place needs a facelift, but I didn't feel unsafe or anything. Kitchen was pretty unclean, though. I did enjoy the little breakfast that is included with my stay. And, hey, it's pretty inexpensive, and at a great location about a 10-15 min walk from Edinburgh Castle, so altogether, not too bad.

This was a really sketchy hostel honestly. It worked. Perhaps book a private room.

• 31st Oct 2015

Worst hostel I have stayed in. Pay £2 more and stay somewhere else - it's not worth it. It took the staff 20 minutes to find my booking. The bathroom was down a weird deserted and refurbished corridor. It had one working toilet, the other was cling wrapped, and one of the shower doors had been kicked down. Other bathrooms had so much mould, the walls were black. The next night, staff waved us in and didn't make an attempt to check we were staying in the hostel. Had to pay to leave luggage.

One of the worst hostels I've stayed in, wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Windows stuck shut in the dorm, bathrooms filthy, toilet seats missing, broken showers. Only redeeming feature is location at the end of Princes Street. Better hostels for similar money elsewhere.

This eclectic hostel was enjoyable, in a great location, but I was disappointed by kitchen and toilets. While the dorm room was decent, the toilets were often without toilet paper (and were in need of cleaning), the showers were always clogged, and the residents often failed to clean their own dishes (despite signage). Otherwise, the staff was great, the atmosphere was chill, internet access was divine, and the location was prime. Weigh pros and cons with price before booking.

The existence of light bulbs and ceilings was probably the best thing about the place. But not all the light bulbs seemed to be working, and I doubt the ceilings will hold up much longer. The bathroom looked like a scene from Trainspotting, though it was cleaner in the movie. Basically it's just the cheapest place you can find and is completely reflected in the atmosphere. Free breakfast is nice, but it's chaos, never enough spoons! Between here and a cardboard box outside, I guess stay here...?

• 24th Oct 2015
  • Northern Ireland

The showers on the last floor where me and my friend were sleeping were broken and the bathroon was in a really bad condition, the showers on the floor above were transparent!!!!! We also had to pay a pound to leave our suitcase over the day, the first time I have to pay for that in a hostel. The employees at the front desk didn't seem to know much about how the hostel worked and where the facilities were.

This is the worst Backpackers hostel I have ever stayed in. The place was smelly, dirty and is very run down . The staff were not helpful at all. I was given a bed number and some one was asleep in my bed so I was given another bed number and someone was in that bed too. I then went down stairs and told the staff and they told me to go back up to the room and find a bed that doesn't have anyone in it. My overall experience of this hostel wasn't a nice one and wouldn't recommend it!!!

• 16th Oct 2015

Worst hostel I have ever been. Extremely dirty kitchen and crappy breakfast, nothing in the room except for matrasses and pillows, garbage in the hallway. When we asked the staff to remove the garbage they only relocated it, which did nothing for the smell... Quite expensive for such a poor place as well

• 10th Oct 2015