Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

New clean sheets provided, no heating, no locks on bathrooms, bar closed

The staff in the reception wasnt that receptive than other hostels. The internet didnt work very well, the heating wasnt on in the middle of the winter. The light inside the room was almost dead and I could not see even once the bar opened. The shower was good.

No hot water in sinks. Didnt try showers. All noise ouside can be heard well. Broken radiator - cold room. Very noisy cold dirty stay

The WiFi never works, the lamps in the bathrooms are off and the switchs doesn't work. There is just one socket in a room with 20 beds.

• 12th Jan 2015

The weak point in this place is the bathroom, because it's cold inside and there is no spot to turn on the hair drier. All the others things are good.

Booked a 12 bed dorm to hostel experience, only 3 guests including myself, a German guy who spoke little English and lady who must have been at least 65+ who did not speak ever.I used the kitchen on the last night and facilities were not that great oven had to be closed with a piece of rolled up paper. In the room next to me on the 1st night was a massive group of girls who decided to come home at 3am and make as much noise a possible.The wifi did not work the whole time I was there, location ok

Great central location, ideal for newcomers to get to know the city. Staff members are nice and helpful.Decent free breakfat. Hostel is clean and simple, but facilities are a bit old. Toilets are cold for some reason, maybe radiators are not working, but water is warm for showers. You get what you paid for.

• 8th Jan 2015

As i was in between two rooms that were partying instead of respecting the others that needed quiet, i didn't have a good experience, maybe next time, i might try again and see if it's still the same.

Too many guests for insufficient facilities. Really small women washroom. Few showers, no hot water. Washroom and kitchen were dirty. No toilet paper. Room door did not lock. Unprepared for new years dynamic.

• 30th Dec 2014

I was in Edinburgh for Hogmanay and the hostel was really well located for getting around. The room was quite cold but once I let staff know, they put another heater in the room which really helped.

Filthy and nothing works

The showers on the girls' bathroom were often cold.. When we arrived at the room, two of our beds were taken, so we got another two and told the reception about it. However, they didn't recorded it, and later they have broken into my friend's locker (each bed has its own locker) to give the bed to another person, lefting her belongings on the floor until we arrived. Despite of that unusual problem, the atmosphere of the hostel is very nice, the beds and room were ok.

Really enjoyed my time here, had a great vibe and friendly staff. Had lockers in the room but need to provide your own/hire a lock. The shower facilities aren't the best, have no locks on the doors. Well equipped kitchen and good basic breakfast. Great location to access all the site of Edinburgh :)

This is a very central hostel. It's only a 10 min walk to all the main places you would want to visit in Edinburgh! The facilities are basic but clean. The shower room was freezing but the rooms themselves are great. Good heating and fun designs on the walls throughout the rest of the hostel. Good value for money :)

I've spent 3 days there, the location was perfect, also great staff. They could just improve the breakfast. Highly recommend.

I enjoyed my two nights and am already looking forward to returning. The only thing I didn't like was the traffic noise outside.

• 9th Dec 2014

before better atmoshpere

Best atmosphere ever! If u are a traveller looking for a big and great vibe hostel it's a awesome choice. If u are a girl who have fear of a rustic life, please, go to a hotel. I loved this place. I traveled to glasgow,manchester,london,liverpool and edinburgh, for sure it is the only hostel that I want to stay again. Thank you!

Lovely staff! Australian girl at front desk really friendly. As a single female in a 20 bed mixed dorm, couldn't have felt more secure and safe! Middle if winter in Edinburgh and was still comfortable heating wise! Will stay again and would thoroughly recommend.

The bunk I was assigned had all the ladder rungs broken off making it impossible to get into my top bunk. The staff suggested that I just climb the ladder on the next bunk (which only had 1 out of 3 rungs) and monkey my way over to my own bunk. When I told them no, they did thankfully did give me another bunk. I wouldn't come back here.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7