Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

First time staying in a hostel this place really set the bar high! I'm recommending Caledonian to any of my friends who travel to Edinburgh. Wish we had stayed more than just four nights. Amazing atmosphere. Way better than any hotel I've been to!

• 12th Apr 2014

Great atmosphere, not for the old. Constant party, and no down time!

Bloody brilliant.

• 12th Apr 2014

Excellent hostel, well located. The rooms are very spacious and there are many toilets available near room. The people is very kind and friendly. Breakfast is good.

• 11th Apr 2014

Read that the atmosphere was great, it definitely was not when we were there. It was pretty dirty and a bit smelly but that's what you get with big hostels like this one. It was at least a 20 minute walk to old town edinburgh and we saw others that were much closer and didn't take so long to get home. Wifi was good. Movie room was AWESOME. But social side was pretty bad.

Everything a 4 star hotel could provide

• 9th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

Great hostel with all the facilities you could need (free internet terminals, big kitchen including an oven, luggage storage, big lockers for every bed). Standard breakfast fare, a bit uninspired but good and filling and available until noon. Big enough rooms with an extra table and chairs, a reasonable number of power points and bunk beds you can just about sit up on on the bottom bunk. Can be a bit noisy from the road if you're at the front but otherwise perfect location.

I would recommend for my friends for sure. It's really good place to stay.

Great location, great staff, good facilities for cooking, comfy beds, simple but goof breakfast Did not like the showers. Very small and no privacy!

The staff at Caledonian Backpackers are wonderful! They are so welcoming and friendly! The location & atmosphere is perfect!

• 29th Mar 2014

The lighting in the female bathroom on the first floor was dim, and there isn't enough space for people to put on clothes in each cubicle. It's simple too small. Heating facilities were not strong enough and I could not sleep well on the first night as the room was too cold and heater was not adjustable. Kitchen was a bit disappointing as there is so few shared resources that travellers normally need: oil, sugar, pepper, tea bags, etc. However despite of these, staff are friendly and helpful.

Myself and three friends stayed here over the weekend and had a wonderful experience with the hostel. When issues arose with people staying in our dorm, the staff at reception (Yannick) was incredibly helpful and we cannot thank him enough. All staff at the hostel was very kind and helpful with directions. Provided free breakfast and had great common areas and activities. Loved the environment and the whole stay was well worth our money. Great location, great staff, great hostel.

• 27th Mar 2014

The atmosphere was incredible, and everyone very friendly. I had friends who were staying at another hostel, and each night they wanted to come hang out at the Caledonian Backpackers instead! The kitchen was spacious and well-kept, the bedding was nice, and the common area was artistically accommodating and cozy. It was a really fun place to stay, and I'd definitely stay here again if/when I travel back to Edinburgh.

• 21st Mar 2014

I like it!

• 18th Mar 2014
  • China

Very nice hostel with good breakfast (from 6am to 12pm!), super clean bathrooms, hot shower. If you want to use the locker in the room, you must have a thick padlock cause otherwise the locker can be opened.

Very friendly staff greeted me and helped me find the laundry room. I really loved the decorating! All of the walls were full of life! The bar was a very fun place to chill and have a drink. The whole place was very clean and well-kept, as well.

I thought the hostel was located a little too far from the Old Edinburgh, where all the guided tours departed. It took me around 20 minutes to do the back and fourth multiple times during the day. But hey, the city is so beautiful that it didn't matter that much. The kitchen was perfect: there was everything I needed to cook and multiples fridges so everyone can stack their food. The staff was great, I went out with them on the first night I stayed there. I had a great time!

Had loads of fun thinking about living there long term

It was a very nice stay, all the staff was very friendly and helpfull, despite my bad English level.

• 22nd Feb 2014

The hostel was incredibly nice and clean, rooms were a good size and beds were very comfortable. Staff was helpful and breakfasts were decent.

• 22nd Feb 2014