Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

This is a very central hostel. It's only a 10 min walk to all the main places you would want to visit in Edinburgh! The facilities are basic but clean. The shower room was freezing but the rooms themselves are great. Good heating and fun designs on the walls throughout the rest of the hostel. Good value for money :)

I've spent 3 days there, the location was perfect, also great staff. They could just improve the breakfast. Highly recommend.

I enjoyed my two nights and am already looking forward to returning. The only thing I didn't like was the traffic noise outside.

• 9th Dec 2014

before better atmoshpere

Best atmosphere ever! If u are a traveller looking for a big and great vibe hostel it's a awesome choice. If u are a girl who have fear of a rustic life, please, go to a hotel. I loved this place. I traveled to glasgow,manchester,london,liverpool and edinburgh, for sure it is the only hostel that I want to stay again. Thank you!

Lovely staff! Australian girl at front desk really friendly. As a single female in a 20 bed mixed dorm, couldn't have felt more secure and safe! Middle if winter in Edinburgh and was still comfortable heating wise! Will stay again and would thoroughly recommend.

The bunk I was assigned had all the ladder rungs broken off making it impossible to get into my top bunk. The staff suggested that I just climb the ladder on the next bunk (which only had 1 out of 3 rungs) and monkey my way over to my own bunk. When I told them no, they did thankfully did give me another bunk. I wouldn't come back here.

Great location! It was not the type of 'hostel atmosphere' that I'm used to. No one was socializing and there didn't really seem to be a place to do that. You can't drink your own alcohol there because there's a bar

• 29th Nov 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the hostel, laid back

• 21st Nov 2014

Even though the building was out of internet and making it hard to check in, the staff was consistently friendly and made our stay welcome.

• 15th Nov 2014

Don't go near the place, everything about this service was disgraceful. The light fitting in the room was hanging off leaving dangerous exposed wires very near to where you climb into the top bunk . A;so the place was filthy from top to bottom. The room was freezing and the heater supplied was completely inadequate for the room size. The WiFi was not working and the staff incredibly rude. The bar will happily charge you £3 for a can of Stella. No locks on either the male or female toilets.

• All Male Group, 25-30

We had to wait 45 min to check in as there was only one staff member checking in people - a lot of people were waiting for check in with other staff members just standing around. Once we checked in and went up to our room one hour after our due check in we discovered they hadn't even made our new beds up and someone was still using one of them. Their wireless internet did not work either. The bathrooms were also dirty. I found the staff extremely rude and unapologetic. Worst hostel ever!!

• New Zealand

Missing WIFI (although it was claimed to be there), cold rooms (we slept with three layers of clothes and two duvets) and icecold showers - three very unpleasant factors! we tried to spend as little time as possible in our room. nevertheless: friendly staff and good location!

• Austria

good friendly atmosphere

Had a great time! Fun staff and a great atmosphere.

• 14th Nov 2014

Very disappointed in the cleanliness of the hostel. The bedroom window had been opened and screwed down so we were unable to shut it. Not great in November...... Same in the Ladies shower room, it was freezing. Bed sheets were past there sell by date. The overall appearance of the hostel looked like it needed a good coat of paint. On the plus side the location was fantastic.

• 14th Nov 2014

Lots of stairs to get to some of the rooms but overall clean and spacious rooms. The bathrooms were quite small and there were no changing rooms for the showers. Great location!

The hostel was nice, clean, with good facilities. I met some great people there; seems some awesome travelers are attracted to the property. I did not, however, appreciate the sarcasm I got from some of the staff who implied that I had somehow not followed the rules and overall treated me like I was just a little bit of a pain.

Decent hostel. One Staff member was rude and unwilling to give information. Wifi was horrible...basically nonexistent. The carpet in the dorm was sticky and grungy. The overhead lights were way too bright for anyone on the top bunk. Breakfast was good. Mattress was basically springs. Felt dirty the whole time. No lift to top floor. I love Edinburgh but would pass on this hostel.

Excellent place to meet people, especially in the spacious kitchen and the "lounge" where you can have a drink at the bar or just make yourself comfortable... You've got to show your card when you enter the hostel so the security is quite good. The location is great as the most common attractions of Edinburgh are within walking distance. I really liked this hostel and would definitely come back....

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7