Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

Excellent customer service, clean comfy bed, my only concern was security as I'm a travelling businessman perhaps some adaptations to the lockers or replacement so they have plug sockets inside or if the lockers are directly next to the bed so my charger can reach lol there's only two showers so maybe some more adding other than that very happy

• 2nd Aug 2015

If you want the cheapest hostel in town with good wifi, free breakfast, and good location, this is the place. 40 bed dorm is surprisingly quiet especially with ear plugs. Slept like a baby.

the bigger hostel tht i never seen, it was awasome. All the staff helps you in all wht u need, and they are really polite and friendly. The situation is perfact, just near to Prince Street, where u can buy everything tht u want, and so close to royal mile and grassmarket, where u can go out and drink all the evening and nights.

Great location!! close to everything..trams and buses right outside hostel.. Staff are very friendly..nice and spacious rooms

This was the cheapest I could find in Edinburgh, and well, you get what you pay for. Reception staff seem a bit disorganised -there is a charge for paying for your hostel bed by card, which no other hostel I've been to has, and then when I decided to pay with cash, they didn't even have any straightaway and I had to wait for them to go to the bank for some. No lift & I had to lug my heavy suitcase up 4 flights of stairs to my room. Bathroom has nowhere to store or hang my stuff while showering.

Had a very nice stay. Everything went very smoothly, checking in and checking out was very efficient and not at all time consuming. People in the hostel were lovely and the general atmosphere was very friendly. However, it got quite noisy in the street during the night, between 2 and 3 - 4 am, and the noise was just going right into the room, so if you are sensitive to noise it is something to consider. Only two working plugs in the 8 bed-room that I stayed in. Overall, a good stay nonetheless!

I've been travelling all of Europe for over three months now and I can easily say this is the worst hostel I've stayed in. The showers were literally ice cold and dirty. There was no elevator which becomes a hassle if you're on the top floor with a heavy backpack. Beds were extremely uncomfortable.. Only one working toilet on the entire top floor of the women's bathroom. The walls in the room were so filthy, they look like they haven't been washed since the beginning of time. Stay away..

Excellent location, all the facilities you might ever need and very clean. Nice building too, although it's easy to get lost at first. The staff were very friendly and helpful but some of them seemed to have no idea what they're doing and were really bad at giving directions. Although I did notice them working until 1am and then from 9am again so maybe they're just overworked, give them some time off! :) All in all I'd definitely come back there again, very positive experience!

We were only staying overnight but it was a nice place and a good location for what we were stay for as its in the city centre. Staff were friendly and there was also someone in reception in case you had any problems. I would stay here again.

• 18th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

It was a brilliant stay, and very friendly people in the hostel. The location is very good, right in the heart of the city. Will be going there again, when in Edinburgh !

• 17th Jul 2015
  • India

I have been traveling for one month around Europe, and the uncleanliness and untidiness of this Hostel was certainly below the average. I stayed here my first night in Edinburgh and decided to stay a second night just because there were no other hostel with free rooms for me and my friends for that night. However, the location is unbeatable, it's only 500 metres to the Castle and the main two streets!

Great location, a big kitchen, very simple breakfast. Old furniture, very old windows, no elevator. Can get noisy when there is a party time. Dirty at arrival but after complainig all cleaned up and friendly.

the shower was not hot enough !

Stairs, no lifts. far from railway station but ideal tram available to and from airport and central Edinburgh. Outside the dormitory there is a step that catches you and i fell heavily. This area should be lit up and possibly a railing installed along this step preventing a serious injury from happening

Great hostel, the friendly staff in the bar and reception were always up for a chat! Free breakfast was plentiful, and the Sunday night free meal of haggis was a good edition! Every bed has a big locker, the beds are comfy and it is in a convenient location for wandering the beautiful city. Met heaps of great people in the cheap bar too!

This was my first hostel experience and it was grand. I was surprised by the variety of individuals staying here (college kids, families, and older adults). It had something for everyone. The fire alarm went off twice during the night, but it was nice to know they worked. We also got referred to a shotty breakfast place, but it was cheap. Great location and we'll be staying here again for sure.

Average backpackers, a bit dirty sometimes, old furniture, windows and carpets. Great location, big kitchen.

only 1 toilet for women, the second one didn´t work (3 floor) lack of toilet paper showers were not cleaned for long time

• 9th Jul 2015
  • Czech Republic
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Staff wee friendly but there failed to be an adequate supply of toilet paper in the bathrooms. This led to people putting paper towel down the toilets and clogging them, creating a bigger inconvenience. The showers were not always hot had clear glass doors on them... So you can see EVERYTHING!! The 3rd floor bathrooms did have a frosting on the doors which was nice but only goes so far.

Poorly cleaned toilets and window in our room was stuck annd would not close.

« first « Prev 1 2 3