Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

Really friendly staff, well-organised hostel. It's clean, there's a nice bar and everything you'd expect from a well-running hostel. Showers are great too! This was my second time at Caledonian Backpackers and another very good experience! Breakfast is simple, and there is space for your own stuff if you want to be different. It's warm, beds are clean and others who stayed there were relaxed and nice. Edinburgh is a beautiful city with lots of history and lots to see. Can't wait to go back!

• 9th Apr 2015

Fantastic location, beds are really comfy and the staff are very helpful but the showers were freezing and there was a lack of toilet paper and soap morning and night!

I had a really fun time at this hostel and don't regret going at all. That being said, it was quite dirty, especially the bathrooms, which almost never had toilet paper. The showers were cold both times I tried to use them and weren't very nice as hostel showers go. I have stayed at nicer places for a better price, but for a last minute easter weekend booking I was glad just to have somewhere to stay! A real party vibe, which I enjoyed, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

The place has a great vibe and seems to have a lot of activities (salsa night!!). The staff didn't really know much about anything outside of the hostel life and all their answers were extremely vague. One staff member couldn't even tell me if the train station was easy to navigate. The beds sag in.The breakfast consists of breads, a toaster oven, coffee, and every kind of jam you could ever want! The bar didn't even have orange juice, but was cheap.

• 27th Mar 2015

When I was in the hostel, two days I had to had a shower with cold water.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

The worst place I have ever been, the room was filthy, the hot water in the shower didn't work. The staff were rather inefficient and unfriendly.

There was no hot water coming from the kitchen tap. I was in two different rooms during my stay and the wifi was terrible in one but alright in the second one. I also found the hostel in general to be cold. Showers however had good hot water. Staff was friendly.

I've stayed in a lot of hostels in the last year and this was definitely at the top of my list. I stayed in a 38 bed dorm and to be expected I woke up due to other people but that no big deal. The location is amazing and the price is pretty good too. This is one of the cleaner places I have also stayed too. I would highly recommend this place.

• 21st Mar 2015

We stayed in the big dorm which was nice and huge. The only problem was that the people who stayed there where very loud at night and came home chanting and totally drunk. I would take another smaller dorm next time or the girls dorm.

Very friendly welcoming and through out! Staff are cool! Wifi was 100%!!! Hot showers, free breakfast and there's a bar with entertainment. The place is clean! I'd defo return had loads of fun.

• 19th Mar 2015
  • Poland

I had a great experience here, from previous reviews I was nervous! But from my check in to my check out I had great experience! Staff where very helpful as they assisted me in all the exploring I intended to do. The place must of had a face lift as the rooms are clearly freshly painted and very warm. Showers were powerful and hot!!!!! What more can you ask for? Cheap price especially for what I got out of it & breakfast was included! Thank you Caledonian, I'll be back!!!!!!!!

希望能经常换被单,枕头套,和床单。我睡的那张床被子居然有臭脚味,实在受不了这个。卫生间和浴室的卫生还不错。

• 18th Mar 2015
  • China

pretty funky place. has a good vibe but the rooms were pretty nasty. worst bed I've slept on since I started traveling. staff was great tho, and the bar is fun and cheap.

The hostel was in a great area of Edinburgh, a short walk to the castle and shopping areas. The hostel itself was good, there's lots of great murals on the walls and a nice bar area. Complaints would just be that there wasn't a lift and we had a room on the very top floor and the wifi wasn't that good up that high. Lockers in the rooms also didn't work. But overall one of the cheapest places to stay in central Edinburgh so it was worth the money will be staying there again when I go back!

When we first arrived there had been a issue with the system for the doors which meant our cards didn't work and the door had to be left open- we got upgraded to a 4 bed dorm free of charge -excellent. During my stay i was hit with a bad pain in my neck and back of head and the lovely lass at the reception ( I forgot your name ,sorry) was very helpful and even called an ambulance for me . Over all my stay was fantastic and. A laugh all around will def' be back for my next visit to the burg :)

• 26th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Great artwork Breakfast was not worth being called breakfast Towel stolen bar music blasting throughout the night despite no one being in the bar good bathrooms and rooms

The showers were absolutely freezing I had to wash my hair in the sink as I had brain freeze in the shower trying to wash it.. this was very bad as I payed £40 a night. overall it was ok, not much choice for breakfast. but the staff were helpful with directions.

• 14th Feb 2015
  • Wales

Hello, we are really sorry about that, the heating was the biggest problem we had so far and it was quite hard to fix at that time, but your issues have been addressed. At the moment we have two new boilers running and our staff members team is much more build up together finally,ready to communicate and sort our everybody's issues. We hope you will visit us again so we can give you a much better experience than the last time :)

During our stay the heat was broken. The hostel eventually offered us a radiator that heated up maybe a foot span, and it was in the opposite corner of the room.

• 7th Feb 2015

Hello, I sincerely apologise for the heating, we have it sorted now but it was quite hard at that time. We have two brand new boilers running better than ever, so I hope you will visit us again and enjoy your stay more :)

Boiler was broken...no heat or hot water in the wing we stayed in

• 7th Feb 2015

Hello, I am really sorry about that. Your issue has been addressed and now we have heating all over the hostel. I hope you will give us one more chance to improve your Edinburgh experience next time you visit!

New clean sheets provided, no heating, no locks on bathrooms, bar closed

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4