Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

I had a great experience here, from previous reviews I was nervous! But from my check in to my check out I had great experience! Staff where very helpful as they assisted me in all the exploring I intended to do. The place must of had a face lift as the rooms are clearly freshly painted and very warm. Showers were powerful and hot!!!!! What more can you ask for? Cheap price especially for what I got out of it & breakfast was included! Thank you Caledonian, I'll be back!!!!!!!!

希望能经常换被单,枕头套,和床单。我睡的那张床被子居然有臭脚味,实在受不了这个。卫生间和浴室的卫生还不错。

• 18th Mar 2015
  • China

pretty funky place. has a good vibe but the rooms were pretty nasty. worst bed I've slept on since I started traveling. staff was great tho, and the bar is fun and cheap.

The hostel was in a great area of Edinburgh, a short walk to the castle and shopping areas. The hostel itself was good, there's lots of great murals on the walls and a nice bar area. Complaints would just be that there wasn't a lift and we had a room on the very top floor and the wifi wasn't that good up that high. Lockers in the rooms also didn't work. But overall one of the cheapest places to stay in central Edinburgh so it was worth the money will be staying there again when I go back!

When we first arrived there had been a issue with the system for the doors which meant our cards didn't work and the door had to be left open- we got upgraded to a 4 bed dorm free of charge -excellent. During my stay i was hit with a bad pain in my neck and back of head and the lovely lass at the reception ( I forgot your name ,sorry) was very helpful and even called an ambulance for me . Over all my stay was fantastic and. A laugh all around will def' be back for my next visit to the burg :)

• 26th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Great artwork Breakfast was not worth being called breakfast Towel stolen bar music blasting throughout the night despite no one being in the bar good bathrooms and rooms

The showers were absolutely freezing I had to wash my hair in the sink as I had brain freeze in the shower trying to wash it.. this was very bad as I payed £40 a night. overall it was ok, not much choice for breakfast. but the staff were helpful with directions.

• 14th Feb 2015
  • Wales

Hello, we are really sorry about that, the heating was the biggest problem we had so far and it was quite hard to fix at that time, but your issues have been addressed. At the moment we have two new boilers running and our staff members team is much more build up together finally,ready to communicate and sort our everybody's issues. We hope you will visit us again so we can give you a much better experience than the last time :)

During our stay the heat was broken. The hostel eventually offered us a radiator that heated up maybe a foot span, and it was in the opposite corner of the room.

• 7th Feb 2015

Hello, I sincerely apologise for the heating, we have it sorted now but it was quite hard at that time. We have two brand new boilers running better than ever, so I hope you will visit us again and enjoy your stay more :)

Boiler was broken...no heat or hot water in the wing we stayed in

• 7th Feb 2015

Hello, I am really sorry about that. Your issue has been addressed and now we have heating all over the hostel. I hope you will give us one more chance to improve your Edinburgh experience next time you visit!

New clean sheets provided, no heating, no locks on bathrooms, bar closed

The staff in the reception wasnt that receptive than other hostels. The internet didnt work very well, the heating wasnt on in the middle of the winter. The light inside the room was almost dead and I could not see even once the bar opened. The shower was good.

No hot water in sinks. Didnt try showers. All noise ouside can be heard well. Broken radiator - cold room. Very noisy cold dirty stay

The WiFi never works, the lamps in the bathrooms are off and the switchs doesn't work. There is just one socket in a room with 20 beds.

• 12th Jan 2015

The weak point in this place is the bathroom, because it's cold inside and there is no spot to turn on the hair drier. All the others things are good.

Booked a 12 bed dorm to hostel experience, only 3 guests including myself, a German guy who spoke little English and lady who must have been at least 65+ who did not speak ever.I used the kitchen on the last night and facilities were not that great oven had to be closed with a piece of rolled up paper. In the room next to me on the 1st night was a massive group of girls who decided to come home at 3am and make as much noise a possible.The wifi did not work the whole time I was there, location ok

Great central location, ideal for newcomers to get to know the city. Staff members are nice and helpful.Decent free breakfat. Hostel is clean and simple, but facilities are a bit old. Toilets are cold for some reason, maybe radiators are not working, but water is warm for showers. You get what you paid for.

As i was in between two rooms that were partying instead of respecting the others that needed quiet, i didn't have a good experience, maybe next time, i might try again and see if it's still the same.

Too many guests for insufficient facilities. Really small women washroom. Few showers, no hot water. Washroom and kitchen were dirty. No toilet paper. Room door did not lock. Unprepared for new years dynamic.

• 30th Dec 2014

I was in Edinburgh for Hogmanay and the hostel was really well located for getting around. The room was quite cold but once I let staff know, they put another heater in the room which really helped.

Filthy and nothing works