Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

No complaints. all my needs were met for a short stay

Breakfast hours and check out hours are fantastic

The hostel is cute and it was a great value for money. Location is superb. Very close to all tourist attractions and it's literally a stone's throw away from the high street where all the shops, pubs and restaurants are. I could see the castle from my room. Very close to both train stations as well (10 mins walk). Rooms are spacious and bright. The beds were so comfortable, it was like sleeping on marshmallows- no exaggeration! :) Kitchen is massive. Overall, it's a great hostel! :)

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Hungary

The public space is good.The bar,the paintings on the wall and atmosphere are all very nice! But as the light in toliet is broken I haven't take a shower at that night…So I think some facilities need to improve.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • China

To be honest, I should have looked more into the fact that this is a party hostel. My dad and I we're suppose to stay for 2 nights, but only did one due to the loud street noise and sadly two snorers (you can't help the snoring).. But! After going down at 4am the guy at the front did give my dad and I a room alone for the night to sleep for 4 hours. Everything was average for the most part. If you're looking for a party hostel, this is it! If you're looking for a good night sleep, keep looking.

• 11th Sep 2014

Overall the hostel was fine. It would have been nice if the showers had more room or someplace to put your things. The hostel is huge with a lot of people. Even though the place is big it still feels a bit crowded in places like the kitchen. Also lots of steps with no elevator, not great if you have a big suitcase. I might stay here again if I had to.

It's a huge hostel, but doesn't feel unsafe. The location was great, hostel bar and other facilities aswell. Especially the late check-out compared to the usual, and one of the best free hostel breakfasts that I've had. I stayed in the 20-bed dorm and it was spacious and quiet. The downsides were having to buy your own padlock and dirty socks in my locker, which smelled to have been there for ages...

The best moment of the stay is the breakfast. All these different people meeting together and talking about why they're here. I met few people in their world tour, some on their Europe tour and some, like me, students looking for flats ;)

• 7th Sep 2014
  • Poland

This was my first ever time in a hostel. Everybody was friendly and helpful, staff and guests alike. I've been treated worse and felt less welcome in 5-star hotels. I'm already recommending the hostel to anyone and everyone who will listen! THANK YOU Caledonian Backpackers.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Spain

Bathroom not adequate.

a general comment for any hostel is that, it would be nice if there was an option to choose a top or bottom bunk. Because of a knee injury it is slightly more difficult to get on and off the top bunk.. Without an injury I would not care which one was assigned to me.

Great atmosphere and huge place so your guaranteed to meet people. Lots of fun and comfy beds.

I hate showers with ridges on the floor (seriously, what genius invented them and what backpacker wants to step on them), but otherwise, it was a nice stay with cool people.

This was a really great place to stay, staff were super friendly and the bar was cheap with a great atmosphere for chatting and meeting new people. For the Australians out there, breakfast is accompanied by a jar of Vegemite, so try to contain your excitement. Overall would definitely stay here again and I've already recommended it to friends who are heading to Edinburgh later this month.

Very friendly and helpful staff, clean and nicely decorated room, great security, liked the personal lockers a lot. Had a few problems with slow internet speed but that's a very minor complaint. Ideal location. Would definitely use again and will recommend to others.

• 29th Aug 2014

Great location with friendly staff always makes a nice stay at a hostel. Good value hostel.

Fantastic stay, staff are really nice. Was in a 20 bed dorm and it is really spacious!! Had a great time here 😊

Spetacular hostel, with a great staff and good facilities and in the center af the city.

• Portugal

Lovely big rec room and facilities, free internet much appreciated if sometimes slow, enjoyed the breakfast. Helpful staff. Excellent value for money!

• Scotland

Not enough toilets per floor, or electrical outlets in room. Bed and room was clean, but toilets certainly weren't. Decent breakfast though.

• Sweden