Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

NO INTERNET AT ALL the whole 5 nights i was there!! Location was perfect, every single staff member went out of their way to be helpful BUT the bathrooms mostly were like bathrooms at the end of the night in a pub & literally no where to take even a towel with you to shower. The atmosphere especially over the weekend was that of one HUGE Stag/Bucks/Hens night in fact I've never seen so many men dressed as women & i swear i saw a bunch of people dressed in animal suits at breakfast one morning.

nothing special to say, had a great time there

• 1st May 2014

Absolutely fantastic! I am so glad I came here. The Wi-Fi was absolutely perfect, the rooms were spacious and clean (even in the dorms), and the staff was lovely and helpful. My only suggestion would be maybe an elevator, but the stairs aren't that bad. I have already recommended this hostel to two other people, both of whom are staying here. Thanks for a fantastic stay!

Wifi not good. Always out, doesnt reach rooms either. No outlets near beds. Only a couple for the whole room. Good staff though

Hi Robert. Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for the WIFI issues during your stay. We understand when traveling its a necessity and we have worked with our internet provider to make sure these issues don't happen again. We are always trying to improve our service and your feedback is very much appreciated. Hope to see you back at Caly soon.

Perfection as per usual!

Showers on my floor were just a glass panel, no door lock, so had to use those in a different floor. Apart from that, it's just a big hostel. Key cards for your room, 24hrs reception, bar (closes kind of early), free breakfast.

Breakfast till 12 pm. Nice.

• 25th Apr 2014

This was the loudest hostel I have ever stayed in, if your not kept awake by the bar down stairs then you will be by the bars outside. I would not recommend if you actually want to sleep. Good location though very close to the main station.

My favourite hostel in Edinburgh. Great breakfast, clean, the atmosphere is great and the paintings on the walls are amazing.

Bedrooms are okay and the beds are comfortable. However, the bathrooms could be way way cleaner.

Location iin an old and a bit run-down building. But staff were very pleasant and accomodative. And they also provide a nice decent breakfast. The bed was comfortable (though am not sure whether they change the sheets after each guest vacates.) The big negatives I faced was that the flushes in the toilet in my floor were not working. And this is right next to a main road so note there will be quite some noise. (Ofcourse it never bothered me). Apart from these the stay was fairly good.

• 20th Apr 2014
  • India

Really nice place to stay. The rooms are big and spacious as well as the bathrooms. The staff is very nice and always answer to your questions with a smile. The parties as the bar at really good but not very noisy so you can sleep comfortably in your room if you had enough for that day.

Great hostel, with lots of character!

Nice hostel , big kitchen , a place to chill and not to far from the castle

The staff was quite friendly when we arrived. Good location and the bar which is open till late will give you the chance to have the last one and get the bed totally legless. We paid 25 pounds/night...a bit expensive for a sharing room with 40 beds from my point of view. Good place anyway!

Staff were great, really helpful with advice in booking a tour. Only let down were the showers, there is no space to hang or put anything in the shower cubicle so clothing needs to be left outside the shower. Also the shower doors are partially see through which made showering at busy times rather awkward.

Didn't really find the staff to be that friendly. The wifi was awful! There are signs every where that says that the wifi should be fast and work and if it doesn't to let the staff know, but when I did she had no clue what to do to fix it. It was really annoying given how much they emphasize the free wifi throughout the building. Overall my stay was good.

Ye ye bit of craic, our mate rode someone in the cinema room so all round decent stay.

Colorful and cozy with very kind and helpful staff.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • FridaJohansson
  • Sweden

First time staying in a hostel this place really set the bar high! I'm recommending Caledonian to any of my friends who travel to Edinburgh. Wish we had stayed more than just four nights. Amazing atmosphere. Way better than any hotel I've been to!

• 12th Apr 2014