Caledonian Backpackers Reviews

3 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh EH2 4PA, Edinburgh, Scotland

I really enjoyed my stay and can recommend it.

• 21st Jun 2014

The wiffi wasn't the best but they had a super chill atmosphere. I stayed in the ~38 person dorm and felt safe the whole time.

I stayed here for only a night but I really enjoyed it. Location is great - right near the castle and a short walk from the main tourist area and university. The atmosphere was very cool and laidback.

Bar was awesome and I loved the paintings all over the walls, also the relaxed and chilled out atmosphere xx

Our staying at the hostel was nice, but the clealiness of theirs rooms, shower cabins and toilets weren't good.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was good and the atmosphere was fun. Thanks a lot!

Great hostel with really nice staff and good music in the pub! It's so sad to have to leave this place but... I'll come back!!!

Most of.the staff were really friendly and helpful especially. people from the reception (the only one whose name I remember is Adriano) and Bea. The hostel is very big with a bar and pool which are good for hanging around with people. However I didn t make much friends like in other hostels (I got along more with staff than other guests) , it is so big that it seems that people don t get close to rach other. The paintings inside give a good atmosphere to the place and location is good.

I did not like this place. I actually booked two nights, but cancelled the second night. It was ridiculously hot in the rooms. Beds were already made, so no way of telling if the sheets were clean. Showers were cold. The tap wouldn't stop running. No hand soap available. There are A LOT OF STAIRS! So when you travel with suitcases you have a problem. The over all feeling I got was shady. I would not stay here again.

The location was great and the staff really kind and willing to help. The rooms and bathrooms were really clean. As for the drawbacks, the breakfast was simple (some would think it was poor) and we had a difficulty in carrying our luggage to the first floor since there was no elevator.You should also remember to take with you some adaptors because they are not provided and at that time there weren't any left to buy.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Greece

Nice place. The only problem was the girls bathroom (3 rd floor in front of room "n"): the toilets smell badly and the tap in the sink was very hard to close, so mostly of the time the water was running.

• 15th Jun 2014

Good for backpackers in the sense of atmosphere, but the house itself was very cold and not renovated. The whole house smelled damp and moldy. Nice that breakfast was included.

Bit too big, bit too many school groups. Kitchen is ok. Free breakfast is nice to have, but it's nothing fancy. Location is great, you can walk to all the sights. Safe. Common area is pretty nice, and the alcohol is cheap enough.

Great hostel! Very big room, big bathroom, nice bar. Good location, right on the corner of the main comercial street. Staff were great... good indication of activities and things to do.

Perfect location, not that great for solo travellers though as it's such a massive hostel so many people are in groups already which makes it kind of hard to meet people. Also not really revolved around young travellers but more of all ages. (Had lots of old people in my room). Safe could be friendlier, breakfast was good though and it's from 6am-12 which is nice so you don't have to wake up super early to make it :)

Great atmosphere with the bar, the huge common room and the big kitchen. If you like partying its the place to stay.

I stayed here in June for a few nights. It was comfortable and clean. The bar was a good place to start the night. Breakfast was included. Most staff were good, some were a bit unprofessional at times but overall a good hostel.

Two words : simply fantastic. Enjoyed my stay thoroughly , due to rain was inside the hostel half the day but the bar is so cool that u can spend any amount of time there ! Staff was really helpful and kept the place clean all the time. This really is run by backpakers for backpackers :D

Excellent price, good location - close to castle. Staff very helpful and friendly. Overall enjoyed my stay

Such a great location, lovely reception staff, beautiful hostel and clean. Do not get too excited by the free breakfast though!

• 8th Jun 2014