California Dreams Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

743 Emerald Street, San Diego, California, USA

Everyone was very friendly including Bronx! I never felt worried for my security and of course the location is excellent. It feels like a close knit community that you can become a part of right from the start. Loved this hostel.

• 8th Apr 2014

This hostel is right on the beach and surrounded by bars, restaurants, cafés and shops. The staff were so helpful and friendly. The rooms were nothing fancy but you're paying for the location. Definitely recommend!

I only stayed one night...payed for 7...very rude and annoying people coming into hostel all night long talking, laughing disturbing people trying to sleep, I had to pay another 340 plus for another motel...I am in a hostel now in Hawaii and do have those problems here...I have stayed in a couple of Hostels here in Hawaii and management makes sure that certain common areas are closed after 11:00 PM...Hostelworld can contact me only if you plan on refunding me some of my money...

• 1st Apr 2014

Although the location of hostel was great, everything else about it was terrible. Construction started at 7am(should have been told), other guests walking into our room, private room bathrooms were shared by everyone, and there was at least a 30min wait to take a shower. Everyone hangs out in the main building, like every other hostel we've been to, it has been expected at a certain time, the noise level is to a minimum. We traveled with a car and asking about parking was like a surprise.

• 20th Mar 2014

It was dirty, and wary warm during daytime. At the night it got realy cold. I got sick from the nights i stayed,:( I was a little freaked out by some of the staff, (some where nice to!!)I will find another hostel next time im in pb.

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Norway

The hostel is well located a few blocks from the pier, right on the boardwalk.

Stayed here for a week and it was a highlight of my whole 7 week trip! Great location, right near the beach and close to clubs and pubs. The supermarket is right down the road and you get a discount card! We cooked every day, only problem was that there were some lazy people who didn't do there dishes which was annoying but the staff did wash them if they built up. The staff were great! So friendly and funny! Truly had an awesome time! Thanks again guys!!

• 23rd Jan 2014

Great hostel. I'm gonna miss it.

Very good stay, best location in San Diego, nice staff.

• 10th Jan 2014

The hostel is very good, excellent location, near from the beach and pubs. they have cameras and staffs all day around, so your belongs stay safe there.

• 30th Dec 2013

Very cramped in the 12 bed room. Like being on a train! 3 showers between 24 people and one of them broken. Very small common room/kitchen area with 4 chairs. Uncomfortable bed. Good location near the beach and bars. This place is not worth the money.

Hey there- What’s wrong with trains? Just kidding!! So sorry you felt cramped , but thanks for letting us know about the shower- it’s fixed and pumping out some hot water! So sorry your bed was uncomfortable- most people love them- if you ever come back in the future- which we hope you do- ask for additional blankets to lay on for more comfort! Our spaces may be cozy (what a great word!) but we offer additional chairs- just ask a staff member.

The Door was always open even if everybody living there had a key. The Facilities were way too small for all the people (3 Bathrooms for 24 people) and quite dirty !!! The Kitchen was small and dirty .... The location was great because its directly at the beach. I would not recommend it ...

• 28th Dec 2013

Hey there- we appreciate you staying with us and for your comments- we are always looking to improve our guests stay in any way we can. We are located in a relaxed, safe beach town and our hostel reflects that vibe- so no need to worry about the doors being open! Our hostel comes equipped with a receptionist who closely watches our security cameras up until the doors are locked at 3:00 am. We clean the entire hostel every day and we look to our guests to do their part and help clean up after the

California Dreams is a great Hostel. Only 50 m from the beach with very friendly staff. You will definitely make friends during your stay.

• 15th Nov 2013

The Hostel is close to the beach on cool shops arounds. However, the staff was unfriendly, the hostel is run down and feels messy and dirty

The atmosphere here is just so laid back, typical SoCal, very nice! And it's right by the ocean and everything which is great. Will stay here again next time I'm in the neighborhood! :)

• 31st Oct 2013

Very chilled, laid back hostel with a friendly atmosphere. Quite far away from downtown San Diego though, need to get a bus and a train but good value for money and loads of nice restaurants and bars nearby (and right next to the beach)

very cool people! I liked the hostel team. Unfurtunatly a little bit dirty

• 19th Oct 2013

horrible!

• 18th Oct 2013

Hi, im from Brazil, i was there some days ago for 3 days, was nice days, people from everywhere, i thought that the expirience in a hostel for a first time could be bad, but i was wrong, everything was cool, its so close to the beach and have a wonderfull sunset everyday, i recommend, for Brazilian too, the owner Plinio and Staff Marcelo, they speak portuguese and can help you in all the ways!

• 16th Oct 2013