Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort Reviews

5 Digger St., Cairns, Australia

Absolutely fantastic laid back atmosphere. Would absolutely stay here every time I went to Cairns.

• 28th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

One of the best hostels I ever stayed in. Easy going atmosphere, chilled out, good people!

• 17th Jul 2015

I really love this hostel! We were supposed to stay one night and ended up staying over a week. It's clean and most of all it's chill. People like to party, but not wildly. It's quite after 11, but it's easy to make friends in it's open layout. It's about a 10 minute walk to CBD, not bad, but there's a shuttle almost every hour. I never waited for a toilet/shower and security rated lower is because my roommates bag was stolen out of our room in the night. people suck. not the hostel.

• 16th Jul 2015

Great place! Just a bit outside the centre. Luckely they offer shuttles!

Calypso Inn backpacker were very good conditions. And Staffs are so kind and if i need some wondering, they can help me. By the way i love airport shuttle service around trip!! You can save some money!! And walking take 20min from hostel to ferry terminal.

• 8th Jul 2015
  • South Korea

I loved this hostel! It was wonderful! Had such a great atmosphere and the staff were so helpful and kind! I really enjoyed that each night had a different theme! Like Sunday I got to try a real Australian bbq!! Crocodile and kangaroo! It was just a great experience! If i'm ever back in Cairns, ill be back to Calypso.

Very social hostel. Friendly staff, good facilities and a really well laid out communal area that makes it easy to meet other travellers. They had a reptile show the first night and a pool competition the following night. Beds are comfy and showers are hot. Overall a great place to stay.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Calypso. I enjoyed the fact there was 2 kitchens, the one upstairs offers more privacy, their offer for free wifi in the communal area was good too and I like the social area with settees too. Some of the staff were really helpful however some were not - I hired an underwater camera but when I came to collect it on the morning not one of the 3 people on reception knew how to use it, I was told to just "have a play" and it ended up not taking any photos during my dive

• 1st Jun 2015

We stayed two nights longer than planned, hostel is awesome! Was recommended from a friend and was definitely worth it! Too bad that it is a bit out of city but it's actually a good point as well. Only thing is that the fridge upstairs was so loud! Thought it's getting louder every day haha. Might get that fixed guys. But anything else was top. Thanks!!!

kitchen was to small for everyone. rooms are okey..toilet where really dirty!! atmosphere at night was nice! always something going on! good happy hour!

Best hostel on the East Coast! Great atmosphere with events on everyday! Staff are friendly and very helpful! Rooms are clean and spacious with good AC! We really enjoyed our stay here, can't rate this hostel enough! We love Calypso!

I really liked staying in this hostel, the staff was really nice, they even helped us book a diving trip in advance. The rooms were quite small but the beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean. The 2 kitchens were a little bit messy but they were ok to cook. The lounge area with the bar and the pool were really cool, I'd only advise checking some of the couches which didn't smell very good. The location was ok, you had a bus stop one block away and you also had free shuttle buses to town.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • Argentina

Second time in this hostel, great stay!

Mold in the shower, parties in the lounge, unfriendly territorial guests on long term stays, girl in the dorm spent the night vomiting out the window....I've never stayed in a backpackers so uncomfortable and disgusting.

Cool atmosphere, nice people and good evening events!

Wonderful hostel just minutes away from the Espalade and a short walk from the city centre. Two kitchens so always room to cook and good activities during the week to part in. Excellent comfy rooms and the hostel seems to double up as a travel agents so don't worry about booking up activities before you get to the hostel. The hostel has a bar but it closes at 11 so the noise level won't keep you up at night if your looking for a good night sleep

The staff here are great, good advise on excursions and help booking. Don't go during wet season, a lot of stuff is cancelled and quite frankly Cairns is not an entertaining town during the day. The cleaner comes in and picks up rubbish then leaves - not the best. Our room stank and I think this was linked to the AC but not congruent with other experiences from other people staying there at the time.

The best hosel so far in Australia!! Amazing atmosphere !! Far from the center but there is a free bus every hour so it's not too bad

Staff and happy hours were brill

Best hostel we have been in! We returned 3 times! The rooms were spacious, clean beds, staff were really friendly and informative, the atmosphere at night was brill great place to meet people. Kitchen is a bit small but clean. Entertainment at night was good and the hostel goes quiet at about 11ish so you can get a good kip aswell. Bit away from the centre but there are regular free shuttle buses which is brill! 100% all the way! Thanks for a fab stay!