Calypso Inn Backpackers Resort Reviews

5 Digger St., Cairns, Australia

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Calypso. I enjoyed the fact there was 2 kitchens, the one upstairs offers more privacy, their offer for free wifi in the communal area was good too and I like the social area with settees too. Some of the staff were really helpful however some were not - I hired an underwater camera but when I came to collect it on the morning not one of the 3 people on reception knew how to use it, I was told to just "have a play" and it ended up not taking any photos during my dive

• 1st Jun 2015

We stayed two nights longer than planned, hostel is awesome! Was recommended from a friend and was definitely worth it! Too bad that it is a bit out of city but it's actually a good point as well. Only thing is that the fridge upstairs was so loud! Thought it's getting louder every day haha. Might get that fixed guys. But anything else was top. Thanks!!!

kitchen was to small for everyone. rooms are okey..toilet where really dirty!! atmosphere at night was nice! always something going on! good happy hour!

Best hostel on the East Coast! Great atmosphere with events on everyday! Staff are friendly and very helpful! Rooms are clean and spacious with good AC! We really enjoyed our stay here, can't rate this hostel enough! We love Calypso!

I really liked staying in this hostel, the staff was really nice, they even helped us book a diving trip in advance. The rooms were quite small but the beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean. The 2 kitchens were a little bit messy but they were ok to cook. The lounge area with the bar and the pool were really cool, I'd only advise checking some of the couches which didn't smell very good. The location was ok, you had a bus stop one block away and you also had free shuttle buses to town.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • Argentina

Second time in this hostel, great stay!

Mold in the shower, parties in the lounge, unfriendly territorial guests on long term stays, girl in the dorm spent the night vomiting out the window....I've never stayed in a backpackers so uncomfortable and disgusting.

Cool atmosphere, nice people and good evening events!

Wonderful hostel just minutes away from the Espalade and a short walk from the city centre. Two kitchens so always room to cook and good activities during the week to part in. Excellent comfy rooms and the hostel seems to double up as a travel agents so don't worry about booking up activities before you get to the hostel. The hostel has a bar but it closes at 11 so the noise level won't keep you up at night if your looking for a good night sleep

The staff here are great, good advise on excursions and help booking. Don't go during wet season, a lot of stuff is cancelled and quite frankly Cairns is not an entertaining town during the day. The cleaner comes in and picks up rubbish then leaves - not the best. Our room stank and I think this was linked to the AC but not congruent with other experiences from other people staying there at the time.

The best hosel so far in Australia!! Amazing atmosphere !! Far from the center but there is a free bus every hour so it's not too bad

Staff and happy hours were brill

Best hostel we have been in! We returned 3 times! The rooms were spacious, clean beds, staff were really friendly and informative, the atmosphere at night was brill great place to meet people. Kitchen is a bit small but clean. Entertainment at night was good and the hostel goes quiet at about 11ish so you can get a good kip aswell. Bit away from the centre but there are regular free shuttle buses which is brill! 100% all the way! Thanks for a fab stay!

Most lovely hostel I've ever stayed at. Awesome atmosphere, awesome people, awesome staff. two kitchens, excellent communal area. little out of the way but free shuttle bus to and from town makes it super easy. Would love to come back

Awesome, colourful, and very welcoming place. Aircon rooms yaaaaaayyy! There's heaps of good trip deals you can get though we didn't book any thru them cuz we had less time and had everything prebooked. Two kitchens to cook in. Large common area and a pool to relax is good on a rainy day when you can't do much else! Helpful staff and love the town and airport shuttle service as well. Best value for money of any hostel I've stayed at in the country!

Quiet hostel. Most of the people work here, hard to get contact to other people as i was staying in a 6bed room alone. Had a cockroach in the room.

Bathrooms very clean. Fun atmosphere at night and please be to sit in the outside area during the day. The free shuttle to town was great, and the staff very helpful !