Cambie Hostel - Gastown Reviews

300 Cambie St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

The staff Chelsea is very friendly and helpful. Public shower booth is too small, so not comfortable to take a shower. It is nice that there're free muffin and coffee for breakfast. The upper bunk bed has no barrier so I was so afraid to fall myself off the bed when sleep.

To reiterate what other people have said, this is a hostel and it's best to remember that when it comes to one's expectations. I was extremely happy with my stay here because of the staff (so lovely!), the location - it really was in the heart of town, the cost - it was one of the cheapest hostels I could find but with the best location for me, and the room - I was in a 2 bed dorm with a really nice girl. Yes, it's a bit run down but, again, it's a hostel. Noise was not an issue for me at all

• 26th Aug 2015

Nice helpful staff. Amazing locatin, right in the middle of Gastown. Delicious breakfast in the morning just next door of the hostel in a nice bakery. Rooms were pretty big, clean, nice showers (althought only two showers per floor), rooms on the first floor can be little noisy since there is a bar right underneath the hostel. The hostel has all the amenities you might need! Overall it is a really good deal!

• 26th Aug 2015
  • Czech Republic

I had a wonderful stay here. It's conveniently located and the staff were all very nice, people I would be friends with. There are lockers in each room, a free muffin and coffee in the morning for breakfast, strong WiFi, clean beds/rooms, and good water pressure in the showers. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who is looking to explore Vancouver. It is located above a bar/restaurant so it can be a bit noisy, but the people I saw mostly kept to themselves.

My stay at the Cambie Hostel - Gastown was alright. It's definitely an older building so the wood floors were warped. The location is excellent and the free breakfast muffin and coffee/tea filled me up. Staff is friendly and the beds were more or less comfortable. Sometimes the wifi would not work or it was very slow. BUT during my stay, one of the girls staying in my dorm room found a mouse in her food box in the kitchen. The showers were clean but the kitchen could use a good cleaning.

Only complaint is how loud it was outside at night while going to sleep.

• 22nd Aug 2015

The location is really good and the stuff are nicer than I expected. However, the washroom and bathroom are so tiny and dirty.

• 22nd Aug 2015
  • Japan

Location, location, location! This place is great, being right down town, easy walk to most anywhere you need to go, and close to major bus lines. 3rd time I've stayed here, and will be coming back next year.

Beds are freshly made and clean. Bathrooms are cleaned daily and with attention to detail. Rooms are worn but swept. This is a hostel from 1897, not the Four Seasons, so that is what you get. Men's showers on the second floor require contortion skills and lack any place to put one's toiletries and clothes while showering. Staff were friendly and helpful. I heard of a few billing mistakes but nothing that wasn't fixed. Totally fun! I would definitely stay here again.

Liked the bar downstairs and friendly staff at reception.

The hostel was good, great value. The day I was there there wasn't any social event. Given that there is only a very small common space, I'd like more social type events to be planned in order to facilitate meeting other people.

• 16th Aug 2015

Make sleepablility a rating type. COULD NOT SLEEP THE FIRST NIGHT. The staff was wonderful, and the atmosphere was fun. The volume from the bar downstairs unbearable at 3:00a.m. The staff fixed the problem the next day, was apologetic, and understanding, but of course, could not fix how tired we were, or give us back our wasted day of exhaustion. my brother is handicapped, so the fix (move up a floor) made it harder for him. he was already sore from walking half as much as most tourists.

We did absoutely everything we could for you and your brother and really broke a lot of our own policies to accommodate you. We upgraded your room as well for free. We changed other people around in our system so we could accommodate your brother on the 2nd floor. You point out the staff is "wonderful" and the atmosphere "fun" but your ratings don't match that. In fact your ratings are completely unfair to a place which made huge efforts to make you happy.

Because of their bar downstairs, the first night very loud bass (I could feel it) and singing went till three a.m. The huge crowd didn't disspipate till after four. I am still really mad at what happened the first night. The following two nights were better, because we were upgraded for free to a private room, one more floor up. If it had just been me, it would have been satisfactory, but my little brother was with me, and he has a prosthetic leg, and climbing stairs is not easy for him.

It's a hostel, so temper your expectations. The location in Gastown is absolutely perfect for a night on the town, and there is parking at a nearby garage for about 22 USD per day. Also, it's attached to a pretty cool bar. The room made us all laugh going into; the furnishings are old, the ceiling has water marks and is peeling, but hey, you get what you pay for. Overall, if you're looking for a cheap place to stay in a great Vancouver neighborhood, this is ideal.

• 14th Aug 2015

Great location, basic hostel, small lockers but plenty big enough for just valuables. Showers were hot and functional also a tad small! Bar right downstairs which is really sociable great place to meet new people and reasonable prices!!

• 12th Aug 2015