Camelot Inn & Hostel Reviews

165 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, USA

Great facilities and location. Very clean and tidy. I'd happily come back!

• 28th Jan 2016

PROS: Short walking distance to public transpo/quick ride to DT SLC. Very very Quiet CHEAP CONS: There is NO staff present. You check yourself in & out. The process is difficult & tedious. The bathroom REEKS of mold, the rooms are freezing and there is NO HOT WATER. Good luck taking a decent shower. Amenities & lounge areas are minimal, location is around corner from dodgy, dangerous neighborhood & the calcium/dirt/Lyme buildup on the shower head will make you puke.

• 20th Jan 2016

Its clean, safe and warm. But has zero atmosphere thanks to the layout and lack of staff. No tours, or events are organized, and you cant even ask where to go for breakfast.

Clean, close to 900 South light rail station, not far from the center of SLC, but check-in was complicated and you have to remember a room code and a building code.

This place is so unprofessional you would think you are staying in a homeless shelter. First of all before I even get there they already double charged my debit card and I wouldn't see that money for another three days. The most the owner did was send me and email saying sorry. Then the night I'm suppose to stay I tried to call the front desk to let them know I was going to check in after 10 pm. No one answers the phone in four tries! I then receive a text message (????) from owner saying tha

I'm sorry you felt that way- this is exactly what we strive not to be. We only take credit card payments (no cash) to avoid this type of reputation. Many of our customers are satisfied and happy because of this: No homeless people, retired folks, or locals in the house all day causing problems. I'm sorry that you are upset because I didn't give you a free closet. TESTIMONIAL The room was very clean. The kitchen was stocked perfectly. The staff at building were friendly and helpful. The other guests were pleasant and thoughtful ,and the exterior was spotless and brightly painted. David (8S) New York, USA

It was ok

• 6th Jan 2016

So much effort and money and resources and infrastructure have been extended so that no host needs to actually be on hand. The unintended consequence that one can get the feeling they are checking into a hospital for cyborgs. Service is responsive--by phone or text. I never actually met another human but my dorm mate. Ultimately, I travel for the experience of human interaction. I be willing to pay more to have human contact. The easy as 1-2-3 self checkin took me a full half hour.

It was right on the light rail, which was very convenient. However it was not in the "heart of downtown" as was advertised, and there was nothing to walk to. The worst part was the check in and the lack of staff. I had read the self check-in had issues, however I was optimistic that it was fixed. However, even though I pre-sent in my id and invoice to confirm the check-in, I arrived and had errors because the computer had not been programed. I then waited an hour to hear from anyone.

Clean and convenient, but not very social. Worked great for a temporary place when I moved into SLC until I found an apartment.

• 22nd Nov 2015

The place was great value for the money, but the place could use a little decor. May I suggest a craft area where guests can make drawings and things for the place???

• 19th Nov 2015

To everyone reading these reviews and worrying about the people who are talking about how bad the self check in is: DON'T LET THAT STOP YOU FROM STAYING HERE. Really, as long as you read the emails you receive thoroughly, checking in is a piece of cake. Literally took me 2 minutes.The rooms and bathrooms were clean, it is close to everything and it is a safe place to stay. My one critique is that it doesn't have any very inviting common rooms for travelers to get to know each other and hang out.

• 8th Nov 2015

Thanks so much for providing the hostel so close to the downtown. I walked where I was going.

• 26th Oct 2015

Check-in was a breeze. Beds were comfortable, linens were clean. This place is very organized. We only stayed a night, so we didn't get a chance to fully appreciate all the amenities. We especially liked how streamlined the process was and how they had automated the process and even set up timers for the lights. Well done!

• 24th Oct 2015

It was great to stay here while I attended the Parliament of World Religions, there were 12 others there going to the same conference so it was busy but wonderful. We would meet in the kitchen and discuss the goings-on for the day. The hostel was fine.

• 14th Oct 2015

I'll start off with the fact that yes, check in was an absolute pain. It took a while and was confusing. But other than that, it was a pretty good hostel that I would stay in again.

• 25th Sep 2015

While the hostel itself is perfectly clean and the beds are perfectly comfortable the self check in and lack of staff make it feel unwelcoming. I arrived after 11 o'clock and had a issue with my booking. While I was able to contact a member of staff (offsite) and resolve the issue there was no guarantee of assistance that late at night. And the large signs warning me I might be trespassing did not make me feel all that welcome.

I stayed 2 nights at this hostel and the only people who worked there that I saw were the cleaning staff. It did not have the feel of a hostel as there was no good common area and no staff to ask about what to do in the area, how to get somewhere. I like the personal touch of hostels and this didn't have it. I found the whole checking in yourself on a computer bizarre (to keep costs down) and I hope that other hostels do not start doing the same. Place was very clean though.

I did not like it that no one was around who you could ask questions. Also I think you should be able to store you're baggage there for free and that you can stay in the kitchen/living room, after you checked out (You have to pay 5,80 for storing your baggage there). It was the first hostel that did not offer that for free.

I enjoyed my stay.

The self checkin function was one I'd never seen before, and it as definitely user friendly and sped up the process. My only issue with it was that it removes a human face from the situation; there was no need to greet guests, which is one of the most important parts of hospitality. Thus, there was no one to show us around the premises, give us advice about the area and the hostels facilities. Other than that, the facilities themselves were well kept, clean and comfortable.

View all Salt Lake City Hostels