Canadiana Backpackers Inn Reviews

42 Widmer St., Toronto, Toronto, Canada

Free breaky isn't much, just a cold pancake or two. Location is reasonable, served its purpose but there are much nicer hostels out there. Staff barely spoke, everyone just sat in the common room on their phones, very different to most other hostels.

Staffs really nice, good localisation in downtown (subway is at 3$ / per way). It's easy to meet people in the backpacker. I have pay one cheapest price for my day tour in Nigara with the backpacker. And you have one bathroom inside the dorm.

Thanks for the great review – we’re glad you enjoyed your stay!

Go here!!! Great hostel & great people!!! Had a fun time, thank you Canadiana!!!

Thank you for the great feedback! We hope to see you again soon!

For a large hostel only had 2 washing machines bit ridiculous had to queue and wait ages just to get washing done. seen a mouse a few times running through the kitchen when I notified reception they said "oh another and you seen him now, during the day uh oh". Is quite expensive for what you get some of the rooms are very small. Can be forced to queue for a while when waiting the bathroom. Some staff were very rude and distracted easily.

• 26th Sep 2014

A decent hostel, but not especially comfortable. Good staff. Internet worked poorly during busy hours, and no internet in the rooms.

Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear you had a little trouble with the wifi – we have computers near reception for guest use if your devices are playing up

Really nice stay at this hostel! Atmosphere between other people staying not as friendly as other hostels I have stayed in but I think this is due to it being a larger hostel. The staff were very friendly. The room was large and spacious which is always handy when there are 6 of you in a room! Free tea, coffee and pancakes for breakfast! Other items have an additional charge. Very clean :). Good location and great value!!

Thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear you got on well with our staff and enjoyed your stay! Sorry you found the guests less friendly, the majority of the time we have outgoing, inclusive guests.

staff is indifferent!

• 19th Sep 2014
  • China

Thanks for your feedback – we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best experience and are looking into this.

Canadiana Backpackers is a very good hostel. It's a large hostel that occupies half a block, with a number of separate house-like buildings. The location can't be beat - right beside a good nightlife and restaurant area and 5 mins walk to downtown Toronto. It's safe with locks for the front doors, room doors and individual lockers. Cleaners were operating every day and the toilets were well kept. Downsides were - the coffee machine was broken and the breakfast bagels were stale one morning.

Thanks for your review! We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hostel. We have fixed the coffee machine and it’s now working perfectly! Sorry to hear that the bagels were stale one morning - we buy them fresh from a local bakery. So not sure how this happened

Staff was really welcoming and helpful. Loved that there were plenty of lockers to store your luggage, including if you arrived before check-in or were around after check-out.

Thanks for your review

Last minute desperate accommodation in the busiest time of the year in Toronto for TIFF. Maybe it's a better option than other places in Toronto but not so well maintained, rather depressing, and sadly free but pathetic breakfast. Filthy shared space, the whole property falling apart. Location however is by far the most convenient. If you really prioritize being in the middle of most touristy area, this probably is it.

Sorry that you did not have a good experience but you were looking for a four star hotel but wanting to pay hostel prices. We are always looking to improve and will review the things you mentioned.

I stayed for 2 nights and had a good time. Loved the free pancakes in the morning. Rooms were spacious.

Thanks for your review

Couldn't get WiFi to work. Pancake + coffee for breakfast. Clean rooms and plenty of bathrooms.

Thanks for your feedback! We have free computers available if anyone is struggling with the wifi. See you again!

The staff is really friendly and helpful. Great location (a few blocks away from the CN tower/rogers stadium/aquarium and within walkable distance of all downtown main areas). I enjoyed finding a Hooters next block on that rainy evening. The complimentary pancakes and coffee in the morning are nice, and if you'd rather have something else they are selling other breakfast items.

Thanks for your review! We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

worst bagels ever, very hot and stuffy room but I'd stay again in a heartbeat..., the staff are super, location is prime, front desk is 24/7. loved sitting on the front steps watching the world go by...

Thanks for your feedback – sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the bagels but we’re glad that you had a good stay!

Good hostel, good location, good air con which was much needed. Pretty good.

Thanks for your review!

This was a really great hostel! I stayed in a few in Toronto in my various trips there and this was the best hands-down. Really nailed the right kind of friendly hostel atmosphere, the location was great and the staff were fantastic. I managed to leave some important documents in the hostel after I left to catch my flight out to Halifax, and the staff went above and beyond to help me out - scanning all the documents I needed and emailing them to me.

• 31st Aug 2014

Thanks for your fantastic review! We’re glad we could help out!

Very nice place. Been here 4 separate times and had no problems at all. Love the atmosphere, and the overall homey feel. Daily events is always a plus. The location makes most attractions within walking distance, especially for movie go-ers. Free pancake breakfast and a patio with a pool table are the cherries on top. Good job Canadiana.

• 24th Aug 2014

Thanks for your wonderful review! We hope to see you a fifth time!

It was an amazing stay, I wish I could've stay longer

• 16th Aug 2014
  • Mexico

Thanks for your review! Come and stay longer next time!

Really nice hostel, friendly staff, and lots of useful facilities. Could improve the breakfast and the free computers though.

Thanks for your feedback, we’re glad you got along well with our staff! Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast – we have many breakfast items (fruits, cereals, pastries, etc) available for purchase. We have now fixed our free computers and they are running smoothly.

Had a very good time! Thanks again to the nice and helpful staff! Everyone was great and Vera was always a lot of fun. Location is also rather good: in Entertainment District and only a few minutes walk from the CN Tower.

Thanks for your review! Vera is a very treasured staff member. Come back again soon!