Canadiana Backpackers Inn Reviews

42 Widmer St., Toronto, Toronto, Canada

Nice bedrooms and bathrooms. No complains. Good value for money.

Glad you enjoyed your stay!

The hostel was in a great location in the entertainment quarter. Staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful in orientating you to the hostel or Toronto when checking in. The cinema room is pretty cool but the hostel is need of a serious refurb! The kitchen was small & so many things (bowls, cutlery) weren't available, the linen & doona was pretty old & didn't feel clean. I left early as someone who smelled like a homeless person (& had no luggage) was in my room and I felt uncomfortable.

Thank you for the review - we're sorry you didn't find the hostel's furnishings to your liking, but hope you enjoyed the downtown location.

Very nice staff and good breakfats with coffee machine :) Nice rooms and very good bathrooms!

Thanks for the great review - come back soon!

My favorite hostel I've ever stayed in! The atmosphere is homier than other hostels - the hostel is essentially comprised of a series of houses along one street. Gives a very welcoming, homey feel. Nicest bathrooms I've ever seen in a hostel; they were single bathrooms, very clean and I never had to wait to use one like I've had to at other hostels. The staff was great - very friendly and ready to help. Free pancake breakfast on the weekdays, plus free hot chocolate and coffee! Great location.

• 21st Oct 2015

So glad we could help make you feel at home in Toronto! Hope to see you again soon!

Great building front with flags and the real feel of backpacking!

Although a better breakfast and a hostel bar would have been nice, I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone passing through or transitioning in Toronto. Staff was accommodating; facilities were clean; and I didn't have any issues with bunk mates. Unfortunately, I overheard a rumor that developers will be turning this hostel into condos next year. What a shame!

• 17th Oct 2015

Glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope you come back again soon!

Noise was a big problem for me, even in a single room and wearing ear-plugs as people were talking in the hallways (the staff could put up signs to encourage people to have their conversations elsewhere). The jet-lag and resulting odd sleeping hours for me have probably exaggerated this problem for me, but others reported similar problems here. Kitchen okay, but short on cutlery and china. Mostly friendly staff, clean, excellent location, and otherwise good value, breakfast below average.

• 15th Oct 2015
  • Denmark

I was only here for a night, but the accommodations were nice and it was well located. The free breakfast was just pancakes and maple syrup, but it was all very cheap quality and not worth it. It was fine for a night, but the free "breakfast" shouldn't be the deciding factor in choosing this hostel. I wish they had some fresh fruit. Otherwise satisfactory place!

Rooms were untidy and dated. Beds were very squeaky.

Please remove the desk from the private room. There is no need for it, but for a locker or closet. And it would be nice for the upper bed to have their own little light.

• 11th Oct 2015

Thank you for your review - we appreciate your recommendations.

The hostel in comparison to many I've stayed in was average. I was a bit disappointed in the overall noise level echoing into the rooms even with the windows closed. I've been to very nice old hostels in Beijing and have not experienced the same level of noise. Perhaps over time the flow of people could be diverted from echoing into the rooms and/or some window updates to prevent noise.

• 8th Oct 2015

Thank you for your review! We're sorry you found it noisy. Please let us know in the future so we can address the issue and provide you with some complimentary earplugs.

Great location, but can be noisy, so bring your earplugs!

• 6th Oct 2015
  • Finland

Thank you for your review - please come by the front desk in the future to get free earplugs should you need them. Come back again soon!

The number of washrooms is small so that I have to wait too much time.

• 3rd Oct 2015
  • China

Thank you for your review.

I've stayed here for like 2weeks, overall since there are too little outlets I couldn't charge my cell enough. Besides breakfast was poor, the same menu almost everyday...too little washrooms, showers!!! Way too expensive !! 4 roommates who's from Germany at 8 female dormitory was TOO LOUD! and so annoying.

Thank you for your review. We're sorry you didn't enjoy the breakfast - please try our breakfast table's pastry and fruit selection should you find yourself here again. We also offer free earplugs and can help quiet guests if they're unreasonably loud should you let us know.

If you're 18 and on a gap year you'll probably love this place as its grotty and unclean. The kitchen was an absolute tip and there were no clean dishes or cutlery to use. The beds in the room were so uncomfortable, we couldn't wait to get out of the place. We just came back from camping in a national park and that was more comparable than this so go figure. Like I said if I was 18 again I wouldn't care as when I was 18 I didn't have any standards so this would have been perfect....then not now.

• 29th Sep 2015
  • Wales

Thank you for your review. We're sorry you did not find the accommodations to your liking; we do clean daily and maintain our facilities to keep our guests comfortable.

A good hostel with good location! Walking distance about 10-15 minutes to many attractions and metro station. If you are taking megabus to toronto, this will be a good choice with close distance. Also you can eat nice pan cakes and coffee for the breakfast! Although there is no elevators, I like the facilities. Hot shower, nice beds!

Thanks for the great review!

Perfect stay ! Really nice hostel ! We felt like At home !

• 28th Sep 2015

Glad you enjoyed your stay - come back again soon!

The staff was nice. Breakfast was very poor. Beds were small and uncomfortable.

Thank you for the review - in the future do check out our breakfast table where we have pastries and fruit on the cheap to change up your morning meal selection.

Had a great time here. Lots of good people, free breakfast, what more can you ask. Located just south of Queen street, about midway between Kensington market and St Lawrence market, right in the heart of downtown Toronto. There's a patio out back where some of the staff and long-term residents run nightly games of crud at a pool table. The only thing it missed was a bar, but there are plenty in the area, and the LCBO is only a five minute walk away.

Thanks for the terrific review! Glad you got to experience our house game of CRUD - definitely one of the highlights of the Canadiana in our opinion :) Hope you come back soon!

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff was friendly, the beds fairly comfortable, and the area felt very safe. The bathrooms didn't feel clean at all, and the breakfast could use an upgrade (it's just pancakes), but otherwise a great place with a great atmosphere.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay here! We do pride ourselves on cleanliness, cleaning multiple times per day, and are sorry you found our washrooms unclean at the time. Should you come back we hope you'll be around for our bagel breakfasts on the weekends and enjoy some of our complimentary coffee/hot chocolate with your meal!