Canal Inn Georgetown Reviews

1061 31st Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA

Home away from home! Canal Inn was quiet, well maintained, and served as an excellent home base for an urban holiday. Convenient to bus line and lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Will definitely be back!

• 4th Apr 2014

The location was excellent. There was a hot water problem while we were there but they handled it promptly without much of a disruption to our stay. The common area used for breakfasts needs more seating and could be made more comfortable for guests.

• 27th Mar 2014

Canal Inn is in a great area, the facilities are very clean, and I enjoyed my stay. I will definitely return if I find myself back in DC. Reserved 6 bed dorm, and got a 2 bed room, which was nice. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, and close enough to metro. The major downside was the bathroom- electric water heater and exposed copper pipes. Had to wait for water to reheat between showers (roomate had issues washing hair on first day, we agreed to alternate night and morning the second).

Can't get a better location for the money in Georgetown, so I will probably stay there again. That said, it is not for everyone. Problems: Inadequate hot water. Be prepared to finish your shower in 5 minutes. Water always ends up lukewarm or frigidly cold in that time. I have experienced the same thing on two different trips in two different rooms for every shower I've taken. So “poor” rating for facilities. And outside noise – I kept the AC/heat on all the time to mask it and was able to sleep.

Staff is often not on location, with just a number to call if you need something.

Great location and a clean room but the place didn't feel that welcoming.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

$50 for a dorm room bed is steep. Clean, stylish, bagel breakfast, walk along canal, restaurants. Maria is sweet. Roommates, well, the hotel doesn't have much control over compatibility.

Excellent location in Georgetown. Clean and quiet with a helpful, courteous staff.

• 20th Oct 2013

Great hostel for anyone not looking for a particularly sociable hostel. This is more of a hostel for professionals or those already with friends who are not going to come in drunk at 3am. If that is what you are after then it is perfect - amazing location in a very safe area, very clean and helpful staff. Well worth the money!

View all Washington DC Hotels