Canal Inn Georgetown Reviews

1061 31st Street NW, Washington DC, USA

Home away from home! Canal Inn was quiet, well maintained, and served as an excellent home base for an urban holiday. Convenient to bus line and lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Will definitely be back!

• 4th Apr 2014

The location was excellent. There was a hot water problem while we were there but they handled it promptly without much of a disruption to our stay. The common area used for breakfasts needs more seating and could be made more comfortable for guests.

• 27th Mar 2014

Canal Inn is in a great area, the facilities are very clean, and I enjoyed my stay. I will definitely return if I find myself back in DC. Reserved 6 bed dorm, and got a 2 bed room, which was nice. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, and close enough to metro. The major downside was the bathroom- electric water heater and exposed copper pipes. Had to wait for water to reheat between showers (roomate had issues washing hair on first day, we agreed to alternate night and morning the second).

Can't get a better location for the money in Georgetown, so I will probably stay there again. That said, it is not for everyone. Problems: Inadequate hot water. Be prepared to finish your shower in 5 minutes. Water always ends up lukewarm or frigidly cold in that time. I have experienced the same thing on two different trips in two different rooms for every shower I've taken. So “poor” rating for facilities. And outside noise – I kept the AC/heat on all the time to mask it and was able to sleep.

Staff is often not on location, with just a number to call if you need something.

Great location and a clean room but the place didn't feel that welcoming.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

$50 for a dorm room bed is steep. Clean, stylish, bagel breakfast, walk along canal, restaurants. Maria is sweet. Roommates, well, the hotel doesn't have much control over compatibility.

Excellent location in Georgetown. Clean and quiet with a helpful, courteous staff.

• 20th Oct 2013

Great hostel for anyone not looking for a particularly sociable hostel. This is more of a hostel for professionals or those already with friends who are not going to come in drunk at 3am. If that is what you are after then it is perfect - amazing location in a very safe area, very clean and helpful staff. Well worth the money!

The hotel is newly refubished and we could not fault the cleanliness. However, there was absolutely no service from the hotel staff. The reception desk is not manned and on arrival you have to call a telephone number to get someone let you in. As overseas visitors, it proved very costly having to make an international phonecall on our mobile phone. The situation was really poor and on that basis I would not stay again - there was too much uncertainty about checkin and bag collection.

This is one of the best Hostels i had the opportunity to stay. Very clean, charmful and well located in Georgetown, i advice everyone to choose it.

very cozy, very Georgetown

Thank you Maria for the hospitality and conversations during breakfast. Very clean room and bathroom. Surprisingly comfortable bed. Great central location in beautiful Georgetown. Only downturn, no staff on front desk and phone calls don't get returned.

• 3rd Aug 2013
  • Puerto Rico

This is more like a hotel with shared rooms than a hostel. By which I mean: no real common room area for socialising (apart from some benches where you can eat breakfast/use wifi in the basement), no reception staff available to answer questions or give advice: no atmosphere. However rooms are spacious and comfy and cleaned to a high standard every day. Location is great too. One minor thing I found annoying is there is no bathrooms you can use apart from your own bedroom's ensuite.

Good hotel - not hostel, in Washington. Situated in Georgetown, which is a very nice borough of Washington DC. The room was perfect, also with airconditioning, but it is quite a long way to the first subway station (20 minutes by foot). The personnel couldn't speak english and spanish. Not even numbers. We had to write everything. I told them to order a taxi for the next day to get to the airport. She agreed, but she didn't call one. Anyway, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

It's not a hostel. The rooms are old hotel rooms which are now used as dorms. Only 1 bathroom for 6 people. No possibility to use other bathrooms. Only a room for breakfast with no atmosphere. No rooms to hang around with other travelers. The "staff" barely speaks english. When I arrived there was only a girl there, who was not able to speak english. Only spanish. She phoned someone, handed the telephone to me and on the phone someone said to me, to meet the next day for further instructions.

• 10th Jul 2013

Great location in a very nice area near the water in Georgetown. Definitely one of the best spots in the city and not too far from the museums and monuments. The place was very nice and clean too would definitely recommend.

Excellent!!!

Had a great experience. Clean and friendly staff pretty good location. Breakfast was a bagel. Only thing unhappy with is I paid 150 for two people to stay in same room. And it was only 75 if it were just me. So an extra 75 for another person to stay in same room use same sheets. Isn't justifiable to me. So in future I will only list one person even if there are two

• 4th Jul 2013

Very nice location, just a few minutes walk to the Potomac river. Very good and affordable restaurants in the area. Parking is a problem, but if you don't mind spending some money for a safe parking spot, there is a parking garage just across of the street. Parking is free on weekends on the street. You can get to the National Mall from there by foot and start at Lincoln Memorial. We finished our tour at Union Station and took the circle line bus back home for 1$!!

View all Washington DC Hotels