Canal Inn Georgetown Reviews

1061 31st Street NW, Washington DC, USA

Very clean and safe, but only shower for a room of 6 girls. I'm glad the room wasn't full. I would stay again, just not when they are at full capacity.

• 19th Oct 2014

Perfect location to enjoy DC, especially georgetown area. Facilities are good and very very clean. However, some of the staffs were very unfriendly. Also, be careful when you make changes on the reservation. The reservation information on hostelworld.com is correctly delivered to the hotel, and vice versa. I just like the hotel of MY CHOICE but the rest of the service is not so satisfying.

• 17th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

Location was perfect for my purposes--better even than I anticipated. Great for anyone wanting to visit Georgetown. The atmosphere in the Inn itself was pretty bland--but the setting is great. I was extremely disappointed to learn I had to pay for 2 even though I was on my own. Isn't there some way you could have at least one single room? A reading lamp by the beds--which could be turned off without having to get up--would be nice. Breakfast was pretty minimal ... no fruit?

• 16th Oct 2014

Clean and wonderful!

• 29th Aug 2014

This is the place where I came directly from IAD and the hotel staff did their best in order to make me feel home. I've been in lotsa countries and stayed in several hotels.There were different starred among them but none of them make me feel home like this lil one. Thank you so much for everything starting from service,support, care ending to help with my "mom-sick" on the first day of my arrival. This is definitely the place where I'll come back with endless stars and positive reviews.

Pleasant, quiet atmosphere : ideally situated in Georgetown by the C&O Canal . . . close to amazing restaurants , nightlife and public transportation.

• 24th Jun 2014

During my stay, the wheather was very warm in DC, then it was necessary to turn on the air conditioning all the time. It worked properly, but the problem was that the room got too cold, thus I had to shut the AC off, and then the heat rised up. The problem is that the rooms are quite small and there is no way to open the windows, so that a better ventilation is available. The staff is very collaborative and kind.

Great location in Georgetown though it is not on the metro line, the circulator bus goes really close and is convenient. A nice quiet hostel which was ideal as I was there for a place while I went to a conference, but there aren't really any common areas to socialize so not ideal if you are wanting to meet people. Breakfast not starting until 830 was a bit late as this was after I had to leave in the mornings. If you have problems getting in like some people then try knocking on the side door!

After waiting for 20 minutes for the man at reception to answer the door, I was extremely disappointed to discover the room I had booked and paid a deposit on was no longer available, I was emailed about this 1 hour before my arrival with no indication as to where else I could stay or if I would get my deposit back. Luckily was with a group so we all switched to another room. HOWEVER, I fully believe the man at reception is running a scam and charging far more than any website claims.

• 6th May 2014

The place was really clean and close to great food and shopping. The staff was friendly and helpful. My one complaint is that the breakfast is not open until 8:30 and since I had meetings all week I could not take advantage of the breakfast.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Puerto Rico

STAY AWAY from this place. I had to stay in another location because this hostel was overbooked. The address of another place was 1007 Rhode Island Ave NE ( Google this address. The place was something like a shelter and the neighborhood was ghetto where there nothing to do as a tourist) I was still charged the same amount, $55! The stuff was complaining lots of things about the business (i.e. the stuff has not been paid for 2 months by the owner, and only 1 person is working for this place)

Home away from home! Canal Inn was quiet, well maintained, and served as an excellent home base for an urban holiday. Convenient to bus line and lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Will definitely be back!

• 4th Apr 2014

The location was excellent. There was a hot water problem while we were there but they handled it promptly without much of a disruption to our stay. The common area used for breakfasts needs more seating and could be made more comfortable for guests.

• 27th Mar 2014

Canal Inn is in a great area, the facilities are very clean, and I enjoyed my stay. I will definitely return if I find myself back in DC. Reserved 6 bed dorm, and got a 2 bed room, which was nice. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, and close enough to metro. The major downside was the bathroom- electric water heater and exposed copper pipes. Had to wait for water to reheat between showers (roomate had issues washing hair on first day, we agreed to alternate night and morning the second).

Can't get a better location for the money in Georgetown, so I will probably stay there again. That said, it is not for everyone. Problems: Inadequate hot water. Be prepared to finish your shower in 5 minutes. Water always ends up lukewarm or frigidly cold in that time. I have experienced the same thing on two different trips in two different rooms for every shower I've taken. So “poor” rating for facilities. And outside noise – I kept the AC/heat on all the time to mask it and was able to sleep.

Staff is often not on location, with just a number to call if you need something.

Great location and a clean room but the place didn't feel that welcoming.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

$50 for a dorm room bed is steep. Clean, stylish, bagel breakfast, walk along canal, restaurants. Maria is sweet. Roommates, well, the hotel doesn't have much control over compatibility.

Excellent location in Georgetown. Clean and quiet with a helpful, courteous staff.

• 20th Oct 2013

Great hostel for anyone not looking for a particularly sociable hostel. This is more of a hostel for professionals or those already with friends who are not going to come in drunk at 3am. If that is what you are after then it is perfect - amazing location in a very safe area, very clean and helpful staff. Well worth the money!

« first « Prev 1 2 3