Canal Inn Georgetown Reviews

1061 31st Street NW, Washington DC, USA

Pleasant, quiet atmosphere : ideally situated in Georgetown by the C&O Canal . . . close to amazing restaurants , nightlife and public transportation.

• 24th Jun 2014

During my stay, the wheather was very warm in DC, then it was necessary to turn on the air conditioning all the time. It worked properly, but the problem was that the room got too cold, thus I had to shut the AC off, and then the heat rised up. The problem is that the rooms are quite small and there is no way to open the windows, so that a better ventilation is available. The staff is very collaborative and kind.

Great location in Georgetown though it is not on the metro line, the circulator bus goes really close and is convenient. A nice quiet hostel which was ideal as I was there for a place while I went to a conference, but there aren't really any common areas to socialize so not ideal if you are wanting to meet people. Breakfast not starting until 830 was a bit late as this was after I had to leave in the mornings. If you have problems getting in like some people then try knocking on the side door!

After waiting for 20 minutes for the man at reception to answer the door, I was extremely disappointed to discover the room I had booked and paid a deposit on was no longer available, I was emailed about this 1 hour before my arrival with no indication as to where else I could stay or if I would get my deposit back. Luckily was with a group so we all switched to another room. HOWEVER, I fully believe the man at reception is running a scam and charging far more than any website claims.

• 6th May 2014

The place was really clean and close to great food and shopping. The staff was friendly and helpful. My one complaint is that the breakfast is not open until 8:30 and since I had meetings all week I could not take advantage of the breakfast.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Puerto Rico

STAY AWAY from this place. I had to stay in another location because this hostel was overbooked. The address of another place was 1007 Rhode Island Ave NE ( Google this address. The place was something like a shelter and the neighborhood was ghetto where there nothing to do as a tourist) I was still charged the same amount, $55! The stuff was complaining lots of things about the business (i.e. the stuff has not been paid for 2 months by the owner, and only 1 person is working for this place)

Home away from home! Canal Inn was quiet, well maintained, and served as an excellent home base for an urban holiday. Convenient to bus line and lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Will definitely be back!

• 4th Apr 2014

The location was excellent. There was a hot water problem while we were there but they handled it promptly without much of a disruption to our stay. The common area used for breakfasts needs more seating and could be made more comfortable for guests.

• 27th Mar 2014

Canal Inn is in a great area, the facilities are very clean, and I enjoyed my stay. I will definitely return if I find myself back in DC. Reserved 6 bed dorm, and got a 2 bed room, which was nice. Great shopping and restaurants nearby, and close enough to metro. The major downside was the bathroom- electric water heater and exposed copper pipes. Had to wait for water to reheat between showers (roomate had issues washing hair on first day, we agreed to alternate night and morning the second).

Can't get a better location for the money in Georgetown, so I will probably stay there again. That said, it is not for everyone. Problems: Inadequate hot water. Be prepared to finish your shower in 5 minutes. Water always ends up lukewarm or frigidly cold in that time. I have experienced the same thing on two different trips in two different rooms for every shower I've taken. So “poor” rating for facilities. And outside noise – I kept the AC/heat on all the time to mask it and was able to sleep.

Staff is often not on location, with just a number to call if you need something.

Great location and a clean room but the place didn't feel that welcoming.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

$50 for a dorm room bed is steep. Clean, stylish, bagel breakfast, walk along canal, restaurants. Maria is sweet. Roommates, well, the hotel doesn't have much control over compatibility.

Excellent location in Georgetown. Clean and quiet with a helpful, courteous staff.

• 20th Oct 2013

Great hostel for anyone not looking for a particularly sociable hostel. This is more of a hostel for professionals or those already with friends who are not going to come in drunk at 3am. If that is what you are after then it is perfect - amazing location in a very safe area, very clean and helpful staff. Well worth the money!

The hotel is newly refubished and we could not fault the cleanliness. However, there was absolutely no service from the hotel staff. The reception desk is not manned and on arrival you have to call a telephone number to get someone let you in. As overseas visitors, it proved very costly having to make an international phonecall on our mobile phone. The situation was really poor and on that basis I would not stay again - there was too much uncertainty about checkin and bag collection.

This is one of the best Hostels i had the opportunity to stay. Very clean, charmful and well located in Georgetown, i advice everyone to choose it.

very cozy, very Georgetown

Thank you Maria for the hospitality and conversations during breakfast. Very clean room and bathroom. Surprisingly comfortable bed. Great central location in beautiful Georgetown. Only downturn, no staff on front desk and phone calls don't get returned.

• 3rd Aug 2013
  • Puerto Rico

This is more like a hotel with shared rooms than a hostel. By which I mean: no real common room area for socialising (apart from some benches where you can eat breakfast/use wifi in the basement), no reception staff available to answer questions or give advice: no atmosphere. However rooms are spacious and comfy and cleaned to a high standard every day. Location is great too. One minor thing I found annoying is there is no bathrooms you can use apart from your own bedroom's ensuite.

« first « Prev 1 2 3