Canberra City YHA Reviews

7 Akuna Street, City, Canberra, Australia

Making my bed myself and pay to use a locker for my luggages for 2-3 hours... and it's the most expansive hostel that I have never paid! I didn't like it, but clean and close to everything in Canberra

• 6th Feb 2016

Very helpful staff. Great location and facilities.

My stay at the YHA was good. Room was clean and the staff where friendly. The rooftop terrace was great with a BBQ and hammocks. Spent my evenings up there.

• 19th Jan 2016

The only negative thing was that you had to pay to store your bags, both before check - in and after check-out.

Very good hostel, clean, good facilities and big rooms! Though, 37$ was too expensive.

Clean hostel with good facilities. Rooftop area was nice and hostel was quiet. Shopping centre is close but all the other things quite far away.

The hostel is too expensive for the amount of homeless wondering around. Also, there is no power point next to the beds!! Staff at the coffee shop was extremely rude and not enough plates, cutlery, mugs...

We arrived way before check in and were allowed to chill in the TV room. There were quite a lot of older guests compared to other hostels/cites we've stayed in; not sure if that's symptomatic of YHA or Canberra itself. Literally round the corner from the shopping centre and half an hour walk to the war memorial.

Because having booked through hostelworld, I wasn't allowed to get a discount on my YHI card. Sorry but if you decide to promote your offer on external sides, that is Marketing budget and shouldn't be put on the back of the customers. Furthermore, I had to pay for luggage storage. This is the first time I came accross such a rip-off. This was the last time staying at a YHA!

Really nice location near lots of shops and bars. Would stay here again as it's one of the cleanest hostels I've ever stayed at.

The YHA was a great hostel, I liked my stay here. The room was huge with generous lockers. The bathrooms were clean and the Kitchen was a standard hostel one. I will say that the atmosphere was of a big hostel, nothing cost here; but I would defiantly stay here again.

Rooms are nice

Good location....close to the city center.....my only problem is the front desk rudeness

Good location, very big kitchen well furnished, tv room, very clean bathroom and room with spacious lockers. Luggage storage very expensive 7 AUD for 1 day.

Nice hostel. Room was large and clean. Roof top terrace was a nice place to chill out. Bathrooms on third floor a bit dated the ones on the second floor were much nicer. Staff were OK but didn't honour of there way to make you feel welcome. Good location and bike hire is worth the money. Kitchen large and clean. Not a lot of atmosphere and difficult to meet people if you're travelling alone.

Located near Canberra centre. Overall atmosphere is good and I would say it is really a nice and quiet place to stay.

This was generally a well-run hostel; friendly people and good provision of city information. The deal-breaker is the lack of hot running water for showers. It's so frustrating. That's like a one-star privilege. You need to have a plumbing system that can support your full capacity, at peak times (mornings and evenings). Please fix it, it makes for a bad time!

See below.