Candela & Chocolate Hostel Reviews

Calle 12 3 01, Santa Marta, Colombia

I stayed there for only one night. This is really nice hostel to stay. They have everything that you need. They also take care of my backpack for 3 days while visiting Tayrona.

Candelara and Chocolate was what we were looking for. Close to the beach, easy walk to cheap buses (that took us to other beaches like Rodadero, Taganga, etc), and very affordable. The free breakfast was coffee, toast, and fruits with granola--so it is small! But it's something. The area surrounding the hostel can be dangerous--but just don't walk alone with money out, or flash money at all and you will be fine. Common sense!

Despite the less than salubrious exterior, Hostal Candela & Chocolate is a great place to stay in Santa Marta. The staff are helpful and friendly and the breakfasts are tasty. IThere is a nice courtyard for relaxing in and the city's main nightlife and restaurant etc are a few blocks away. It's basic but more than adequate. Recommended.

We enjoyed this place a lot!!! Thanks for everything!

• 26th Jan 2015

Respectable and quiet hostel. Great services, clean bathroom, breakfast in the mornings were lovely. Free storage of bags for up to 6 days was a nice touch too.

• 17th Jan 2015

staff was friendly and really courteous, good value for money. I recommend this hostel

Good location uf you're going to Lost City

This hostel is super hot. There really isn't a breeze that comes in so it's more humid than outside. It's quite uncomfortable to hang out in. But if you can handle that and a more rundown building, then the stay for the location. You're close to laundry (great resource after trekking the lost city) by the beach, souvenir shopping, street food, exito, the nice resturants and bar scene (I recommend getting an arepa from Lulo) and by carrera 5 where you can take the 15 min bus to taganga.

Staff were really helpful, and the drink and buiscuit on arrival were a nice touch!!! We stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm- had its own bathroom which meant no queuing! I liked that each had gad it's own lockable chest to store valuables. Stored our bags for free whilst we went to the national park. Nice and quiet hostel the beds could have been more comfortable but it's a cheap stay so this was expected! Is definitely go back again!

This is a great hostel if you want to relax. Close to the beach, family atmosphere, very comfortable beds, good breakfast. Security was great; staff had to let you in and each bed had lockers for storage. Place was kept clean, even with the animals, and the staff were very kind.

Its a small hostel with a nice staff and in comparision to other places it is cheap. The only thing that matters is, that there are no A/C in the rooms

Great hostel if you want to have a quiet and relaxing stay

The staff was very welcoming. It's a very chill little hostel. Very good to place to rest for the night before going to the cuidad perdida trek or tyrona. Breakfast in the morning was very good also :)

• 4th Nov 2014

Great hostel for the small price you pay. Nice staff. Good breakfast. Dog. Cat. Kitten. Tortoise. What more could you ask for?

The staff were organized and helpful, easy check in. I liked that the dorm had some single beds, not just bunks; So there was no ladder and no top bunk cramp or noise. The pets were cute as; The growly security dog, lil kitten and a turtle. Probably the biggest security I have seen at a hostel, edging on being like a jail. Breakfast was really yum and more than expected. A bath towel was included, no extra hire fee. Very good stay for the price. I wish that I had more time there.

The staff are really unfriendly. After arriving at 10am off a 12 hour night bus, I was told coldly that I could not check in until 2pm. I had to ask if I could keep my bag in the hostel and have a wash before going out to wait for check in. When trying to make a coffee in the kitchen (my coffee) I was told I couldn't until I had checked in, even though I had been asked to pay already. These little things make a big difference when you're travelling alone... Definitely won't be returning!