Cape Town Backpackers Reviews

New Church Street 81, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town, South Africa

I loved every second of my stay at Cape Town Backpackers, My room was great and everyone who i shared with was friendly and kept quiet when coming in late at night. The staff were really friendly and helped me book all my tours around Cape Town. The breakfast was a bargin and i really enjoyed the Xhosa meal night that the staff cooked for all the guests. I met other travelers and chatted over drinks at the bar in the hostel and the free luggage storage and secure parking was really helpful!

• 30th Mar 2015
  • South Africa

Thanks you guys! Loved Cape and loved the backpackers. Staff were awesome, even the cleaning ladies got involved in the shenanigans after preparing a delicious meal for us. HOME AWAY FROM HOME! Gonna miss you guys but hope to see you again soon! Tip for those heading there... If you're gonna do the shark cage dive, take motion sickness pills in case you get sea sick!!! Not ideal being out on the ocean losing your lunch. (and perhaps a diaper if you do the parachute jump #justsaying)

• 29th Mar 2015
  • South Africa

staff were killer!!! They knew everything about everything in Cape Town. Great location with Long street not too far and Cloof street just a few minutes away, so awesome bars and restaurants close by, and beaches just a cab away. Staff booked all my tours and talked me into skydiving which was amazing and also pant moistening. Mpumi, the cook does a killer breakfast and has enough bacon to cure any hangover. The hostel also did south african braais every few days which was awesome! STAY THERE!

• 29th Mar 2015
  • South Africa

The sign on the wall "Be nice or go home" sums it up...

• 27th Mar 2015
  • South Africa

Wow! Having circumnavigated South Africa on my motorbike, I stayed at Cape Town Backpackers. @81 New Church Street. I stayed at a dozen backpackers across the country. This one was by far and away the most friendly, with the best atmosphere. It's two minutes away from all the bars and clubs. With Rafikis, a really cool place,50 meters away. The dorms are well appointed, with everyone being respectful. You can book activities for everything. And have a Braai at night. It's been a pleasure.

• 26th Mar 2015

Best atmosphere ever.

It is a nice place to stay where you can meet a lot of young people. Beds are very comfortable and bathrooms are cleaned every morning. Staff at the reception seemed to be bored and was not as helpful as I experienced it in others places. Don't store your bread in the baskets downstairs in the kitchen... mine got eaten by some animals.

Really nice staff and nice place to go.

Really awesome staff and vibe at this hostel. It's a great place for lone back packers looking to meet people and have a good time.

• 27th Jan 2015

Although I am an older person I was very happy with everything about my stay. The Staff were awesome and I was treated very well and really helped by there kindness and honesty

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • South Africa

I've been in few other hostels around Cape Town, but this is my favourite one. Staff is amazing and they always take care about good atmosphere. It's a great place to meet new friends. Definitely worth to stay a bit longer there.

Very nice hostel. I would definitely recommend that you stay here. Only the proximity to the road troubled my sleep at times (very loud vehicles roaming by). But maybe that's only problem of the room I stayed at, which was upstairs. Overall a good hostel.

I didn't stay here for these dates...Went to Ashanti instead as it is bigger and more airy...

I really enjoyed my stay at Cape Town Backpackers. I was instantly included in the activities in the hostel and felt like I was joining a family rather than passing through an unfamiliar hostel.

The staff were great, very helpful and had great advice for us. The people staying there at were really great and the atmosphere was amazing! Really reccomend this place! Excellent staff atmosphere and position

• 2nd Jan 2015

All pretty great, guys. My only complaint was the cleanliness of the downstairs bathroom near room 1. It was always wet and dirty. Not at all inviting as a place to freshen up. On the bright side, I found the staff to be super friendly and helpful, and the in-dorm facilities were great. Thanks for everything!

We really enjoyed our four days at Cape Town Backpackers! The staff was great and had good information, and the laid back atmosphere was relaxing. Comfortable bunks and sitting areas. A perfect location for seeing Cape Town, just a few steps from great restaurants, groceries, transportation.

• 31st Dec 2014

We were very disappointed with our stay in this hostel. Despite its good location all other aspects of this place was quite terrible. The 3 of us were only able to get about 2 hours sleep despite going to bed with an 8 hour window! It was extremely noisy and there was very little respect for each other. The dorms were very unkempt and tiny. The breakfast was good but took ages. All in all I would not recommend this hostel at all!

• 29th Dec 2014

I've stayed in many hostels, but this one was a rip off. We paid 90 euros p.night for a double room (4 nights), which would be ok for a proper hotel room, but not for a very basic room in a hostel without breakfast or even quick daily cleaning service. Moreover, the security gate of the building (separate to the actual hostel) broke and the extra key got lost, so we had to walk to the main building and ask reception to let us in every time we came home. Quality-price level is totally lost here!

I liked it, the staff were great fun. The beds are very clean; which is important. Good mix of people. Spent Christmas day there, the staff tried very hard to make it fun and as Christmassy as they could. If I have concerns it's the room security. You get a lock box for valuables but is small, couldn't fit my kindle in. Nothing for the backpack. You can leave computers and the likes at reception but that didn't suit me. Toilets were too few and far between so a lot of waiting required.