Cape Town Backpackers Reviews

New Church Street 81, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town, South Africa

Although I am an older person I was very happy with everything about my stay. The Staff were awesome and I was treated very well and really helped by there kindness and honesty

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • South Africa

I've been in few other hostels around Cape Town, but this is my favourite one. Staff is amazing and they always take care about good atmosphere. It's a great place to meet new friends. Definitely worth to stay a bit longer there.

Very nice hostel. I would definitely recommend that you stay here. Only the proximity to the road troubled my sleep at times (very loud vehicles roaming by). But maybe that's only problem of the room I stayed at, which was upstairs. Overall a good hostel.

I didn't stay here for these dates...Went to Ashanti instead as it is bigger and more airy...

I really enjoyed my stay at Cape Town Backpackers. I was instantly included in the activities in the hostel and felt like I was joining a family rather than passing through an unfamiliar hostel.

The staff were great, very helpful and had great advice for us. The people staying there at were really great and the atmosphere was amazing! Really reccomend this place! Excellent staff atmosphere and position

• 2nd Jan 2015

All pretty great, guys. My only complaint was the cleanliness of the downstairs bathroom near room 1. It was always wet and dirty. Not at all inviting as a place to freshen up. On the bright side, I found the staff to be super friendly and helpful, and the in-dorm facilities were great. Thanks for everything!

We really enjoyed our four days at Cape Town Backpackers! The staff was great and had good information, and the laid back atmosphere was relaxing. Comfortable bunks and sitting areas. A perfect location for seeing Cape Town, just a few steps from great restaurants, groceries, transportation.

• 31st Dec 2014

We were very disappointed with our stay in this hostel. Despite its good location all other aspects of this place was quite terrible. The 3 of us were only able to get about 2 hours sleep despite going to bed with an 8 hour window! It was extremely noisy and there was very little respect for each other. The dorms were very unkempt and tiny. The breakfast was good but took ages. All in all I would not recommend this hostel at all!

• 29th Dec 2014

I've stayed in many hostels, but this one was a rip off. We paid 90 euros p.night for a double room (4 nights), which would be ok for a proper hotel room, but not for a very basic room in a hostel without breakfast or even quick daily cleaning service. Moreover, the security gate of the building (separate to the actual hostel) broke and the extra key got lost, so we had to walk to the main building and ask reception to let us in every time we came home. Quality-price level is totally lost here!

I liked it, the staff were great fun. The beds are very clean; which is important. Good mix of people. Spent Christmas day there, the staff tried very hard to make it fun and as Christmassy as they could. If I have concerns it's the room security. You get a lock box for valuables but is small, couldn't fit my kindle in. Nothing for the backpack. You can leave computers and the likes at reception but that didn't suit me. Toilets were too few and far between so a lot of waiting required.

There were some weird people sharing a room with us. One guy was up all night giggling loudly at YouTube videos in the the bunk below my sister, making it impossible for her to sleep, and 2 people rearranged the room and went through my luggage while we were out.

• 21st Dec 2014

Private room: blood and stains on the sheets, bathroom dirty and mouldy, balcony door unlockable (staff wasn't interrested). Very loud and noisy. The pictures on internet didn't portray the truth! Whole room made the impression that it wasn't cleaded before arrival. No value for money!

• 19th Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

The stay was wonderfull but security was lacking as my car was burgaled in the secured parking and received menial help from the staff

• 19th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

Good staff, good food. Always someone around who's willing to go do something awesome with. Beds and bathrooms weren't the cleanest but about as good as hostels go.

• 16th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

Great location for a hostel. Level of service from the majority of staff was very poor and unfriendly. Not a great hostel experience in terms of meeting new people on your travels.

It was the Best experience EVA.... It was our first time in Cape Town and we loved every second of it..... The room was amazing, I paticulary liked that one could go outside and enjoy the courtyard as offered by room number 24... DEf C you again.. THANK YOU

• 9th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

Great hostel. Very social without being too noisy at night. Had a good sleep every night I stayed here. Loved the bar! Only negative thing about this otherwise charming hostel was the kitchen which was often dirty and didn't have a proper stove to cook. But there was a breakfast menu every day and many places to eat nearby. Would visit this hostel again.

Very basic hostel. Reflected in the affordable price. Nice staff. The hostel does not have lockers but only small safes. My car got broken into right outside the hostel so be sure to make use of the off street parking offered. Very basic hostel. Clean enough. The Backpacker (about 100m away) is more expensive but a better hostel. The bar is very affordable and met some cool people.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • South Africa

We stayed 6 nights here, 5 in the 10 bed dorm and 1 in a private ensuite double. The dorm was good apart from the floor hadn't been swept for a while and it sounded like a heard of elephant were in the bar upstairs from 6am every morning (cleaners). The double room was ok. It was clean but a little dated, the thin walls and noisy stairs didn't give us the best nights sleep. The kitchen equipment needs updating but was clean. Wifi is good. General atmosphere is good with friendly staff.