Cape Town Backpackers Reviews

New Church Street 81, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town, South Africa

It was a clean and safe place to stay in a good location but it didn't have the best atmosphere. other than in the bar there wasn't a great place to meet new people or relax - we felt reluctant to return of an afternoon with nothing to do there.

• 16th Apr 2014

Highly recommended!! I've stayed before and the place never fails to impress me. The staff are always ready to help and are incredibly helpful with planning trips around Cape Town and Africa - a lot of them have personal experience all over the country (and some interesting stories too!) The location is perfect near a lot of restaurants etc but not right on the craziness that is Long St. Thanks guys! See you all soon :)

Perfect place to enjoy the city

• 12th Apr 2014

I didn't care for having to be so close to all of the smokers. Smokers were right outside our door and very close to the kitchen. I would also have expected to have our room cleaned and fresh towels during our two week stay. I did love the location though and the staff did help,us get some tours set up.

• 8th Apr 2014

I enjoyed my stay here very much. The staff were all very helpful and kind, and the rooms were on-par with what you expect for the price. It's proximate to many wonderful restaurants without it being in the middle of the action. One minor issue was with the common space. There is a small, covered courtyard-like space that is open to smokers, and I could sense some of that smoke in the adjacent common areas. Being sensitive to smoke, I didn't feel very comfortable hanging out in those areas.

• 7th Apr 2014
  • Japan

This place was really great--great location, staff, security. Overall a warm atmosphere with very nice people.

• 23rd Mar 2014

We were in Cape Town for the argus cycle race. These guys were great, went out of their way to help, we had secure cycle storage, a proper private car park for the bike trailers. We didn't eat because we were out but they laid on a pasta meal on the Saturday night and then let us check out and shower after we had finished. .The room was clean and tidy, and the beer was cheap when we got back! Really good, thanks we will be back next year.

Great place for staying in Cape Town. Easy walk to Long Street. Short cab to Camps Bay. Would stay again for sure.

This is a nice quiet hostel, only a block too Long Street which has lots of hostels, bars, and restaurants. The staff were very helpful in making my booking for the Baz bus and for the Cape of Good Hope Tour, Lucas even helped me plan the stops I should take with the Baz bus because of my limited time. Hostel is really close to Table mountain and other sights in the city. Only complaint is that I got the room key that had the broken locker. But they did hold my valuables for me.

Overall, a good experience. The buildings are clean and interesting, and the staff was relatively friendly and helpful. Much cheaper than other hostels in the area, and overall experience was comparable to other hostels I've stayed in in Europe and Latin America.

Hi, thanks for the review, its nice to know we are doing the right thing!

Great location! Very nice and polite people. Only one thing, be aware that breakfast is not included.

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

Hi, thanks for the review. It does say on our page that breakfast isn't included. We do have a full menu for you to choose from with options starting at R15. And we do have other things included, free unlimited WiFi, Free use of a computer, Free luggage storage, Free off street private car parking & Free security lockers. :)

Very good atmosphere, hospitale and quite friendly staff. Security perfect.

• 26th Jan 2014
  • South Africa

Hey, thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed staying with us. Only quite friendly? Sorry ;) Thanks Andy

Perfectly located, in my favorite area of CT, conveniently close to Long/Kloof st. and just a short taxi/bus ride to camps bay or table mountain/lions head. The atmosphere is very welcoming and chilled out. It's got a nice bar and a sunny internal garden which help interacting with other guests (if you want to). Only negative point was maybe the cleanliness of the toilets in the lower floor, but nothing too bad. This was my 3rd hostel in CT and my favorite so far. Great value for money!

Hey, thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed staying with us and that we are the best one in CT :)

staff are very polite and helpful. Location is good and close to long street and some other attractions. Good stay.

All over an alright place to stay. Location is good as it is right by Kloof street, in my opinion one of the best places to stay in CT, but traffick is rather bad outside the hostel so can be quite noisy. Facilities are worn and in need of upgrade. Very few power outlets... So annoying!! There are a couple of good spots to hangout, I liked the kitchen, but we were not allowed to hang out outside after 10 pm, which was rather disappointing and lowered the atmosphere. All in all an ok hostel!!

This is a great hostel. Great location -- very close walk to the going out area and easy access to many locations. The staff was very friendly and helpful in giving advice or planning trips. There is a bar downstairs -- easy to meet fellow travelers. Clean and comfortable place to stay. Recommended.

I had an amazing time at Cape Town Backpackers. Most of the staff was very helpful, attentive and funny. I personally loved the location because it is around the corner from Kloof St and a few minutes walk from Long St. Breakfast is cheap and delicious!

• 10th Jan 2014

It's an okay hostel, the staff is nice, but the place just didn't feel cozy, most the bathrooms condition's were not the best and to say the kitchen is fully equipped is a joke! Sorry guys, have been to better places for less money in Cape Town!

Stayed in the twin ensure room, had our own balcony with a view of table mountain. Great spot! No far from Long street, restaurants and shops. Great breakfast in the morning and the staff is helpful booking any tour.

Nice hostel close to long street, very relaxed and layed back atmoshphere and nice facilities.

• 2nd Jan 2014