Cape Town Backpackers Reviews

New Church Street 81, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town, South Africa

Hostel was nicely located with decent rooms and facilities; lets say you've got what you paid for. Girl working on the reception had really unpleasant attitude. It is not like we were there to spend time with her, but you would expect somebody more fun and positive in a hostel to make you feel this amazing backpackers atmosphere. She was just ruin it with every single interaction.

• 2nd Feb 2016
  • Poland

Hostel was great but the guy working reception on the first day was useless as he was so spaced out the whole time. The rest of the people who worked there were fantastic though. Would recommend to friends.

• 28th Jan 2016
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Great location. Good staff and a fun vibe from all the backpackers. The only problem is there was no air conditioning, but I dealt with it. The location is walking distance from the nightlife and a quick cab ride to the beaches, and hikes.

Generally grimy, poor kitchen facilities - not enough baskets/fridge space and generally dirty

• 10th Jan 2016

I just thought overall this hostel was pretty rundown. The cleanliness of the bathrooms and rooms wasn't great, there was a lot of unpleasant smells around the place because I think they have drain issues and I saw a rat in the lower outdoor area which is difficult to avoid because rats are everywhere. It's in a really great location though! The staff don't emit the best vibes and are slightly unapproachable.

location was good as kloof street is basically down the road with shops retaurants and buses. the room was big.

Amazing place to stay if you're in Cape Town! Very welcoming staff and the atmosphere is friendly. Highly recommend Cape Town Backpackers!

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Botswana

We stayed in a private room and had a nice, uneventful stay. The staff all seemed to not really care about anything though; they could have been friendlier and/or more enthused. The group dorm bathrooms were pretty gross looking, glad we didn't need use them. They also charge a 5% fee to pay with a credit card - so you can only pay via cash or Paypal, on this very glitchy tablet. They had lots of tours you could book through them - we did the wine tour and it was great (guide was Jimmy).

Great location and friendly staff Horrible mattress

• 11th Dec 2015

We were in the park lodge behind the hostel, they rent it during the summer. Our room only had a high small window and was very warm. Also not much security in this park lodge, so all in all we left.

Awesome location and easy to walk to lots of great restaurants (best for brunch was Beliza!). Wifi didn't work in our rooms, but it worked in the common areas. Staff was friendly but slightly unmotivated. Kitchen looked useable, but Cape Town is so cheap to eat and drink out at restaurants, we didn't use it. Fridges looked a tad gross and jam packed. We stayed for around a week in a private room and it was never cleaned by any staff, kinda weird.

I stayed this hostel 5 nights here it's great a hostel and also best location ever and the hostel near everywhere just 5 minute walking from hostel to popular bars and restaurants long street and from hostel to market,laundry ,ATM only 1 minute walking,there are a lot restaurants and bars at long street and also you can hiking from hostel to table mountain only takes 2 and half hour and it's very clean and very safe hostel and great a manager so l will highly recommend this place for everybody

Wish we'd had longer here. Really friendly staff, nice rooms, good large shared bathrooms, bar well stocked and breakfast options were lovely. Very central too, but away from chaos of Long Street, with lots of places nearby to eat/buy food/spend money you don't have on vintage dresses. Easy access to Table Mountain, and not far from good beaches. Also, left my passport behind here, went back, and they'd found it and kept it for me - literally owe these guys my ability to return home!

Great location, friendly staff. We booked all of our tours through the front desk and really enjoyed our stay.

Two rooms are on the roads, and it could be noisy.for one of them plugs are only in the entrance of the room which is a pity.Staff is pretty nice and i booked all my tours with them. Some retaurants and bars around.But taxi and 50 Rand will be required for going to nice waterfront.

This hostel really impressed me with the amazing staff that went above and beyond to ensure I had a pleasant stay ( special shout out to Matt and the two German interns). In regards to the facility conditions you get what you pay for but the staff and other visitors I met made it well worth it. I will definitely return to this hostel again.

• 8th Nov 2015

Justine deserves a raise! Excellent customer service skills. I am a food and beverage manager and if all my staff conducted themselves as Justine does, my job wouldn't even exists! Keep up the great job girl!

• 4th Nov 2015

A beautiful place to stay Located very central Ideal for young travellers Staff were fantastic Alisa loved it

• 25th Oct 2015

Fare price, great price and good location.

A thin matress on the beds would really make them a lot more comftable.

• 22nd Oct 2015