Cape Town Backpackers Reviews

New Church Street 81, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town, South Africa

I enjoyed my stay here very much. The staff were all very helpful and kind, and the rooms were on-par with what you expect for the price. It's proximate to many wonderful restaurants without it being in the middle of the action. One minor issue was with the common space. There is a small, covered courtyard-like space that is open to smokers, and I could sense some of that smoke in the adjacent common areas. Being sensitive to smoke, I didn't feel very comfortable hanging out in those areas.

• 7th Apr 2014
  • Japan

This place was really great--great location, staff, security. Overall a warm atmosphere with very nice people.

• 23rd Mar 2014

We were in Cape Town for the argus cycle race. These guys were great, went out of their way to help, we had secure cycle storage, a proper private car park for the bike trailers. We didn't eat because we were out but they laid on a pasta meal on the Saturday night and then let us check out and shower after we had finished. .The room was clean and tidy, and the beer was cheap when we got back! Really good, thanks we will be back next year.

Great place for staying in Cape Town. Easy walk to Long Street. Short cab to Camps Bay. Would stay again for sure.

This is a nice quiet hostel, only a block too Long Street which has lots of hostels, bars, and restaurants. The staff were very helpful in making my booking for the Baz bus and for the Cape of Good Hope Tour, Lucas even helped me plan the stops I should take with the Baz bus because of my limited time. Hostel is really close to Table mountain and other sights in the city. Only complaint is that I got the room key that had the broken locker. But they did hold my valuables for me.

Overall, a good experience. The buildings are clean and interesting, and the staff was relatively friendly and helpful. Much cheaper than other hostels in the area, and overall experience was comparable to other hostels I've stayed in in Europe and Latin America.

Hi, thanks for the review, its nice to know we are doing the right thing!

Great location! Very nice and polite people. Only one thing, be aware that breakfast is not included.

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

Hi, thanks for the review. It does say on our page that breakfast isn't included. We do have a full menu for you to choose from with options starting at R15. And we do have other things included, free unlimited WiFi, Free use of a computer, Free luggage storage, Free off street private car parking & Free security lockers. :)

Very good atmosphere, hospitale and quite friendly staff. Security perfect.

• 26th Jan 2014
  • South Africa

Hey, thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed staying with us. Only quite friendly? Sorry ;) Thanks Andy

Perfectly located, in my favorite area of CT, conveniently close to Long/Kloof st. and just a short taxi/bus ride to camps bay or table mountain/lions head. The atmosphere is very welcoming and chilled out. It's got a nice bar and a sunny internal garden which help interacting with other guests (if you want to). Only negative point was maybe the cleanliness of the toilets in the lower floor, but nothing too bad. This was my 3rd hostel in CT and my favorite so far. Great value for money!

Hey, thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed staying with us and that we are the best one in CT :)

staff are very polite and helpful. Location is good and close to long street and some other attractions. Good stay.

All over an alright place to stay. Location is good as it is right by Kloof street, in my opinion one of the best places to stay in CT, but traffick is rather bad outside the hostel so can be quite noisy. Facilities are worn and in need of upgrade. Very few power outlets... So annoying!! There are a couple of good spots to hangout, I liked the kitchen, but we were not allowed to hang out outside after 10 pm, which was rather disappointing and lowered the atmosphere. All in all an ok hostel!!

I had an amazing time at Cape Town Backpackers. Most of the staff was very helpful, attentive and funny. I personally loved the location because it is around the corner from Kloof St and a few minutes walk from Long St. Breakfast is cheap and delicious!

• 10th Jan 2014

It's an okay hostel, the staff is nice, but the place just didn't feel cozy, most the bathrooms condition's were not the best and to say the kitchen is fully equipped is a joke! Sorry guys, have been to better places for less money in Cape Town!

Stayed in the twin ensure room, had our own balcony with a view of table mountain. Great spot! No far from Long street, restaurants and shops. Great breakfast in the morning and the staff is helpful booking any tour.

Nice hostel close to long street, very relaxed and layed back atmoshphere and nice facilities.

• 2nd Jan 2014
  • Sweden

A pretty spacious place - to be a hostel, that is - and I loved the kitchen. You can buy different kinds of breakfast-types there and they're all really good. A very nice place to stay.

it was warm and dry and the beds were comfortable and it was mostly friendly however it lacked a bit pf pzazz and staff were not as helpful as one would have liked. there could have been more vibrancy and i thought the price was too high for a hostel that didnt even include breakfast in the price! good central location could have been organised parties for travellers could have encouraged socializing.... nice place, pretty average been to worse here so take care!INCLUDE BREAKFAST!

I really liked the hostel for a few reasons. They have great & chilled staff, love you guys! You are doing an amazing job to make everyone welcome. You work really hard but at the same time, you party together with us and are as much relaxed as everybody else. Another thing that I liked was the breakfast. You can have it till 1PM so no worries to miss breakfast. It is also cheap, lot of options to choose from and it is freshly made by the lovely girls. Keep up the good work!!

• 7th Dec 2013
  • Belgium

We loved the stay. Bit pricey for paying R350 per person to stay in a private room for two (but I'll blame that on the high season). But it was an awesome stay overall and I would recommend it to anyone at anytime.

• 6th Dec 2013
  • South Africa

My stay was pleasant, nice laid-back atmosphere, cozy communal facilities and friendly staff! Breakfast is available paying extra, but good. Location is great w many restaurants&bars around the corner and downtown walking distance! Cons: I found 160 R a bit pricey for a 6 bed dorm, the showers could be in better shape and need more hooks to hang up your stuff, the lockers in the rooms are too small for a laptop and the communal kitchen is a bit abandoned on the lower floor. Would return anyway!

← Back to search results