Capital View Reviews

301 i street NW, Washington DC, USA

Friendly staff and great location. I enjoyed my stay here.

• 3rd Aug 2015

The hostel was clean and very secure . Not only did I feel safe and looked after, but I also immensely enjoyed my evenings spent reading in a hammock on the roof. Location was spot on for sights and trsin station too.

• 29th Jul 2015

The location is fantastic and the common rooms and kitchen are really well planned. These things really made it feel like a home. However the beds weren't the greatest quality and there was one toilet for the first floor that wasn't functioning properly - considering this is a higher end hostel - there really should be better facilities and more of them. It would be wise to have more information on what's happening in the city in a more accessible place rather than on the office door

• 26th Jul 2015

hey there, thank you for your comments. We appreciate your nice comments on the planning, as we do try =). Please let us know what beds feel not comfy and we'll get those checked and replaced. The toilet was fixed right away, as it sadly broken by a guest the night before. Information is posted in the main room on the bulletin board, maybe you missed it, and our staff posts additional things on the office door. thank you!

Will the member of staff made us very welcome and advised me on how to see DC met some great guys at the hostel and had a great pool party on the last night.

during my stay the a.c. seemed to work in all the common areas but not the rooms. there were no fans available either. the room next to mine actually left there door open to try get some cooler air. the bathroom I was using also had 1 light bulb out of 6 working. I think this was due to the fact they weren't using light fitting rated for use in bathrooms. along with this there were 20+ French school kids staying there. So total lack of atmosphere for a hostel

• 17th Jul 2015

hey there, thank you for your comments. We do have groups staying RARELY, and this was that one time, so indeed it was more of a relaxing atmosphere, rather than going crazy. We did have AC broken for 1 day, and it was fixed by the evening of the next, and refunds were issue to anyone affected - 2 rooms were affected only. We keep only 2 light bulbs on purpose (who needs 6 for small bathroom) - lol. Thank you!

Very Nice place to stay ! Close to many sightseeings,very comfty and quiet. There's a really good atmosphere, you can meet and talk to people from all around the world. However The bathroom on the second floor should be fixed.

• 8th Jul 2015

hey there, thank you for your comments, and yes the bathroom has been fixed right the next day, thank you!

Totally disappointed! The description said 4 bed apartment but in fact it's a 1 double bed + 1 sofa bed. If you're a couple with a child, the apartment is decent enough for staying a few nights, We were 4 mates and we were expecting 4 beds, as stated in the description. This apartment is not in the Hostel building (thank God!) and when we went to the Hostel the staff there was very rude. We didn't even enter as we didn't feel very welcome. For a double bed there are better options for sure!

This place is falling apart and very dirty. I'm surprised it's still open. Definitely one of the worst, most poorly maintained hostels I've stayed in. Had no hot water my entire stay and the sink in the bathroom had obviously broken a long time ago but had not been fixed - meaning there was no way to wash your hands after using the toilet. Staff were friendly and helpful but that was the only redeeming factor. The beds were old and grimy, won springs visibly piercing through mattresses.

our room was very dark and it smelt weird. The guys that work there were very friendly though. the hostel itself is pretty boring, they have a cool communal area but its not very lively and they dont have events on in the evenings like some of the others.

Good basic hostel. Shared washroom on the first floor with many people, but didn't run into too many conflicts. Had outlets/lights at every bed, very convenient. Wifi very finnicky in my room. Older building so the stairs squeaked really loud, made me conscious of waking other people. Very nice patio on the top floor, unfortunately did not have the opportunity to visit. Relatively close to the attractions, but would recommend doing the bike share for convenience.

I loved the place and the location was perfect. Everything was super clean and comfortable.

I can't speak highly enough of Captial View. The staff were welcoming and helpful, which I appreciated when I arrived late at night after a day of travel. Walking distance to Union Station and the Metro. It's a neat building with a lovely rooftop patio (herb garden, hammocks, the works!) The doors, including the outside one, use keypad combination locks, which are great for someone prone to losing keys--keep track of your combination! The room was clean and comfortable. Highly recommended!

• 29th Jun 2015

Capital View is an alright hostel, in need of a good clean and some repair work. The rooms were nice and cool, and the location was great, but the hostel itself was really average, and could have been so much better, considering the price.

Decent enough. Room was a bit cramped. Bathrooms could have been better. Very good location though, easy walking distance of pretty much everything.

Great location and good, regular cleaning of showers and toilets by staff.

Great place to stay. Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable beds, and great location. I'd stay at this hostel any time.

• 3rd Jun 2015

It was a great hostel. The location was great, almost all the personal were great. It was clean and has a lot off services. It had a problem, that a window was broken but they just put papper to cover it. In general a good hostel.

hey there, thanks for your comments - we've located that window piece that was broken off, and have replaced it. thanks!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our main issue was the kitchen which lacked enough plates and silverware, bowls, etc. Dishwasher needs a note to indicate when dishes are clean so it can be emptied completely and refilled. Also a note how to operate microwave would be helpful. There was no staff available our first morning so there was some confusion in kitchen. The roof garden is very nice. Bathrooms could use a little more tending to as well, but rooms and beds were all fine.

hey there, thank you for your comments! We've improved on the roof patio/terrace/garden even a bit more as of now! We usually take care of all the kitchen cleaning (dishes, etc.) from 9AM. If you're up earlier, our brand new dishwasher has a sign brightly lit when dirty/clean. Also microwave has a button "open" =) lol. We do work on cleanliness, but we don't get to showers/bathrooms until early morning, and you were up a bit before us =( THANK YOU for visiting!

great location, amazing staff and awesome roof parties!!! they kept everything super clean. Coming back here the next time....

I have stayed in many European hostels and have never had less than a decent experience. This was my first American hostel and I was diappointed. The good: location, free on-street parking. The bad: it's on the sketchiest corner in all of DC-drug dealers, hookers. Homeless loitering at entrances. Broken windows. Loud noise all night long. Broken/cold showers. Blood stain on blanket. Mold. No staff to be found. $10 fee for arriving after 9PM. Weird atmosphere. No refunds (we moved to a hotel).

Thank you for your comments You did mention the location is good, as we are right in downtown, and the area surrounding it is indeed very nice. We also don't have any broken windows, and would fix that right away surely. There was one shower handle that was broken, that is now fixed; and hot water is always there, as we use tankless water heaters. We haven't noticed other things you've mentioned, as all is cleaned daily, and late fee is only after we close - 10PM. We were not contacted by you

View all Washington DC Hostels