Capital View Reviews

301 i street NW, Washington DC, USA

I can't speak highly enough of Captial View. The staff were welcoming and helpful, which I appreciated when I arrived late at night after a day of travel. Walking distance to Union Station and the Metro. It's a neat building with a lovely rooftop patio (herb garden, hammocks, the works!) The doors, including the outside one, use keypad combination locks, which are great for someone prone to losing keys--keep track of your combination! The room was clean and comfortable. Highly recommended!

• 29th Jun 2015

Capital View is an alright hostel, in need of a good clean and some repair work. The rooms were nice and cool, and the location was great, but the hostel itself was really average, and could have been so much better, considering the price.

Decent enough. Room was a bit cramped. Bathrooms could have been better. Very good location though, easy walking distance of pretty much everything.

Great location and good, regular cleaning of showers and toilets by staff.

Great place to stay. Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable beds, and great location. I'd stay at this hostel any time.

• 3rd Jun 2015

It was a great hostel. The location was great, almost all the personal were great. It was clean and has a lot off services. It had a problem, that a window was broken but they just put papper to cover it. In general a good hostel.

hey there, thanks for your comments - we've located that window piece that was broken off, and have replaced it. thanks!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our main issue was the kitchen which lacked enough plates and silverware, bowls, etc. Dishwasher needs a note to indicate when dishes are clean so it can be emptied completely and refilled. Also a note how to operate microwave would be helpful. There was no staff available our first morning so there was some confusion in kitchen. The roof garden is very nice. Bathrooms could use a little more tending to as well, but rooms and beds were all fine.

hey there, thank you for your comments! We've improved on the roof patio/terrace/garden even a bit more as of now! We usually take care of all the kitchen cleaning (dishes, etc.) from 9AM. If you're up earlier, our brand new dishwasher has a sign brightly lit when dirty/clean. Also microwave has a button "open" =) lol. We do work on cleanliness, but we don't get to showers/bathrooms until early morning, and you were up a bit before us =( THANK YOU for visiting!

great location, amazing staff and awesome roof parties!!! they kept everything super clean. Coming back here the next time....

I have stayed in many European hostels and have never had less than a decent experience. This was my first American hostel and I was diappointed. The good: location, free on-street parking. The bad: it's on the sketchiest corner in all of DC-drug dealers, hookers. Homeless loitering at entrances. Broken windows. Loud noise all night long. Broken/cold showers. Blood stain on blanket. Mold. No staff to be found. $10 fee for arriving after 9PM. Weird atmosphere. No refunds (we moved to a hotel).

Thank you for your comments You did mention the location is good, as we are right in downtown, and the area surrounding it is indeed very nice. We also don't have any broken windows, and would fix that right away surely. There was one shower handle that was broken, that is now fixed; and hot water is always there, as we use tankless water heaters. We haven't noticed other things you've mentioned, as all is cleaned daily, and late fee is only after we close - 10PM. We were not contacted by you

Cant say it's a pleasant stay, I appreciate staff's' responsiveness but the hotel itself was not that wonderful. The utilities need to be improved and the shower experience was the worst. Other than that it's a safe and convenient location for a short term stay. But definitely I wouldn't choose here to stay again, actually it's a quite a disappointment.

• 30th Apr 2015
  • Taiwan

We booked one room in the hostel and one apartment, which is located in another building. The apartment was awesome, really big and fully equipped. On the other hand, the hostel was ok, but I think that there are not enough toilets/showers for all guests, as every time I had to use the toilet or shower, it was occupied.

Very friendly staff, very clean - a nice place to stay. Would come back!

• 15th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Very good location and facilities

• 9th Apr 2015

This is one of the best hostels I have been to. Very clean. Walking distance to smithsonium.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Taiwan

hey there! Thanks so much for your review! We couldn't agree more!

We have received a private appartment from the Hostel, which was really amazing. The Appartment was located in the near of the Hostel and was very well located to the national mall and downtown. The appartment had also access to a fitness room and a pool on the roof top. It was really a luxury appartment. I can recommand to book a private appartment of the Capital view Hostel.

• 4th Mar 2015

The beds were comfortable but that was the highlight. There was no breakfast and the showers were cold. We had to beg the staff to fix them. I stayed four days and on the last day i was able to take a warm shower. The location was good. I will never stay there again.

• 4th Mar 2015

Hey there, thank you for your review. We don't offer breakfast, as in DC there are legal issues with that - and we are one of only a few hostels that are fully legal (sorry about that lack). However, we do have a fully equipped kick ass kitchen, and stores all around you in very center of DC. The heater broke on one side of the house, and is now 100% replaced and fixed. Thank you for your patience, as it takes a little while to replace those things.

I recommend this hostel in DC

If you want a nice warm shower

• 17th Feb 2015

hey there, We strive on cleanliness, and it's a shame you thought the hostel was not clean - as it is mopped/wiped/vacuumed and shined daily everywhere - especially the showers: so we'd love to hear more regarding this. For facilities, we have a roof top patio with hammocks in spring/summer, nearly free gym access, a year round HEATED roof top Jacuzzi and Pool available once/twice a week, projector room with Foosball table, computer area, free breakfast, etc. Would love to hear comments.

I definitely recommend Capital View hostel. Very good service for the price. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hostel was clean. I particularly appreciated the no-shoes-inside policy. There is free coffee and pancakes for breakfast on week days, served by a lovely woman :) Note that there are small lockers in the rooms to leave your most valuable possessions. Don't forget your padlock!

• 14th Feb 2015

The Hostel was really nice and the atmosphere was great. The only disadvantage was, that in the evening the showers only had ice cold water.

• 14th Feb 2015