Capital View Reviews

Rooftop was brilliant. Hostel was an average hostel,bit hard to find but pretty central.

There are not enough bathrooms! Always waited for one no matter the time of day. Comparing this hostel to ones in Europe or even South America the price is high for what you get.

hey there, thank you for your review. We usually never into the issue as you described with the bathrooms, as there are 6 around the hostel always available - maybe you were just waiting for a specific one or two? We will monitor the situation, and add more if needed. We do agree with the price though! DC is very very pricey, and the lodging accommodations reflect that as well, as we have highest rent/sales tax/taxes in usa. thanks

The hostel was really conveniently located just a few blocks off Union Station and the Capitol. The rooms were spacious and clean, although our matresses were quite old and uncomfortable. The bathrooms were nice and clean, but not too numerous. The staff was friendly and helpful, but sometimes it was difficult to find somebody to answer your questions since there was just one person on duty and sometimes we could not find them for over an hour. Nevertheless, I would recommend this hostel!

• 23rd Mar 2014

Would help if there was some notice to say which door was the entrance. From the outside, appearance looked as if the hostel was closed. Also rearrange the dining table so that it doesn't block the TV area.

• 20th Mar 2014

hey there, thanks for your review and your input. The main door, as you walk up from the street is the entrance door, and is well visible from far away, as the check-in area is also visible from the outside when the blinds are open, during office hours. Also, the dining table is in the back of the living room, so slightly confused - is this about us or another hostel? thanks anyways!

The hostel is not bad but surely not worthing the price, even for Washington! Beds are REALLY old (please, do something about that!) so I didn't sleep well. Bathrooms were not clean and some staff members not really sympathic. Not a great atmosphere in the common areas because of the TV screen in the center of the room, so nobody was talking to each other. It's not the worst hostel ever but if you have the choice, go somewhere else!

I enjoyed the stay an this hostel, as it's clean, rooms are nice and the kitchen was equipped, common aread is very nice too. It's also not far away from train and bus station and from the very centre. Would stay definitely again. I also liked that it was quite easy to chat a bit with the other guests.

I often travel in and out of Washington D.C. Capital View is by far the best hostel Ive stayed in. It has the cleanest facilities, is uber convenient to everything a visitor to the city would need or want, and the staff is the best. Theyre very knowledgable about the city and can guide you to the best sites during the day as well as places to go eat and drink at night. On Thursdays they have a free jacuzzi and swimming pool meet up. The caring owner & staff make this hostel standout.

• 17th Feb 2014

Nicest review ever - you win the Internets! =)

This hostel was spotlessly clean and the facilities were very nice. I rated the location as average because at night the street it is on can be a little seedy (I would not have felt comfortable walking around by myself after dark, though I felt ok walking to and from it in the daylight). It is a short walk to museums, restaurants and The Mall. For security, everyone gets a numerical code for the front door and their room door. Again, it was very very clean.

hey there, thanks so much! And we just washed the carpets three days ago! We do want to make sure it's very clean, and very comfortable with new furniture, kitchen appliances, etc. - so that you can really feel at home! The area is in the very center, and it is extremely safe - rest assured - as while we are in the center, we are also 3 blocks away from masses of people, so it gives us a nice buffer! Thanks

Very nice place to stay. Near Chinatown and many of the main attractions (i.e. Capitol, Smithsonians) There was one little thing realted to some unpleasant smell downstairs.

hey there, awesome grades! Thanks so much for taking the time to review us, and mentioning the amazing location - right in the very center! Sorry about the smells, some roommates I guess =). We do place air fresheners alllllllll over the place just for that. thanks

Home like feel, with a big kitchen. Dorm was large with very comfy beds and lockers. Couldnt get a hot shower in the evening though, but apparently i heard it was working in the morning? Staff were very helpful with laundry and printing etc. Very comfy and relaxing place to stay.

Rosie was really helpful. Kitchen is well equipped and I had everything I needed here.

• 30th Nov 2013

Can't beat location, 10 minutes from metro and monuments. On top of that this hostel has free towels, free internet, great kitchen and friendly staff. Awesome find.

• 30th Nov 2013

The hostel is near (10 min by walk) the union Station. But there is not much around just offices or hotels. The furniture is old and not nice but ok. Bath is on the floor for all rooms together! To get some food, find shops the next is chinatown about 20 min away.

hey there, thanks for your thoughts! We do update our furniture and it is less than 1 year old (you may have noticed one antique looking chair - that's on purpose). There are multiple showers/bathrooms in 5 (more than 1 shower per location) different locations, so that there would be no wait! We also should correct your location review. Chinatown is 4 blocks away - 8 minutes. 24 hour Groceries/chipotle/bus boys and poets, food, bars, etc is only 1-2 blocks - 2-4 minutes. THANKS!

Clean hostel with good facilities. Area can be a bit quiet and unnerving late at night for a solo female traveller but building is secure. Not much of an atmosphere but its fine if you just need a place to lay your head.

hey there, thanks for a nice review! We do try and have more activities going on! During your stay the hostel was very unusually empty, and we're sorry you didn't have a better time. It's tough to organize an event like movie night with only a few guests in the hostel - happens sometime! Make sure to visit us during the warmer months, when there is a good use of the awesome roof top patio all the time, with activities, yoga, etc. thank you!

We enjoied the two nights at the capital view hostel. It is great located in a safe area and everything is in a walking distance! Next to the hostel there is a cheap parking place (8$ per day). All rooms were clean and comfortable. Just can recommend this place for your stay in Washingon!

• 15th Nov 2013

My first impression is of the incredibly friendly and helpful staff, always smiling, always cheerful and ready to help or advise. When I arrived I was shown to my room (!!) by a charming lady who explained how it all worked. They had all the answers about parking, social life, shopping, ... I'd seen a comment on here that there were "too many arbitrary rules" - this is nonsense. The staff treat the hostel like it's their own home, and they want guests to do this same. Really nice! I will go back

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope you come back and stay with us again. Staff

Really run down, bathrooms and kitchen were clean but our room was pretty beat up, no storms so very cold, was able to get 1 extra blanket but after the staff did a search; dead mouse over my head stuck in the vent. Saw a pic with 2 twin beds but it was a bunk bed, which was ok, just took the mattress off and put it on the floor. We noticed staff came in during the day but not sure what for, not making the beds. Did seem safe and no problem with any other guests; everyone was pleasant.

Thank you for your review. I am not sure what you mean with no storms, but we have central heating in the hostel, that gets the whole house spankin' hot. I am sorry, but you must be confusing something, we have never had a room with 2 twin beds and we don't have such pictures anywhere. We are happy that you had a pleasant experience at our house. Staff

View all Washington DC Hostels