Capital View Reviews

301 i street NW, Washington DC, USA

This hostel is in a fantastic location close to Union Station and local shops and restaurants and a short walk from The Mall. Their no shoe policy is strange and never fully explained and the kitchen and bathroom facilities could be improved with little changes such as more food storage space, more crockery, regularly changing the towels and more trash cans. The staff were very welcoming but should offer more information on things to do around DC. I would recommend a stay at this hostel.

Great hostel,facilities, with big new rooftop terrace for chilling too.

Good place to be.

• 17th Aug 2014

I would never go to this place again. Security is all by code which means as long as you have been told the code, you have access. Bathrooms were a disgrace! Filthy. 1 toilet and 3 showers on our floor. The bed was horribly uncomfortable with protruding springs. I flipped my mattress for a bit of relieved, only to find cigarette burns in it. People were running up and down the halls screaming at 1am on a Thursday morning. And as staff are only there until 10:00pm, there was nobody to assist.

sorry you didn't enjoy your one night over with us. Security is done by code, that is constantly changed - both for the outside door, and inside doors - much safer than by keys that can be copied or lost. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness, and usually everyone comments on how clean everything is, as we 100% bleach all of the bathroom/shower square footage daily, as well as clean the rest of the hostel =/. Front desk is there until 10PM, live ins until midnight to help. Thanks

Wifi wasn't very strong

Rooftop balcony is awesome, rooms pretty basic but a PowerPoint above each buck was very handy, staff was helpful and had tips for going out etc. Good location easy to get to main sites and plenty of places to eat nearby (try matchbox in Chinatown for sliders and pizza and RFD for a crazy selection of beers). Got stuck in the habit of taking off my shoes every hostel I go to now.

• 1st Aug 2014

Nice Place to Stay!!

Loved my stay here, mostly because of the people, but also because of the close proximity to the heart of Washington.

It was a pleasure staying at Capital View. What I liked most was the fact that the hostel had Netflix (which you can watch in a common room) as well as a small roof terrace, which is perfect for unwinding in the evening. Staff was nice and always ready to answer questions. It is also in walking distance to the Mall and to a really cool restaurant called Bus Boys and Poets! Anytime again.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Helpfull and friendly staff which likes to introduce you to the nightlife of d.c.. For $5 you can also wash your clothes there, which helped me a lot. Good staff, decent beds and a good location, I would recommend this hostel!

I got a dirty sheet, and I found the place a little bit tiny. However, the staff is very friendly and they have parties on the roof (for those who like that).

hey there, thanks for your review. As we change all the bed linens, I'm sure your sheet was changed as soon as we saw it - as staff walks up with you to the room just for that reason - to make sure all is clean. It is a small hostel, with only 40+ beds, but loads of common room: the entire first floor, with living room, computer area/projection screen area, kitchen, and a huge roof top patio! thanks,

As one of the most expensive hostels in Washington you would think they could manage the basics like hot water. It was so bad I tried to complain at least 3 times but there was never anyone in the office and don't expect to be able to flush your toilet paper this place has serious plumbing issues. I moved to hosteling international which is far superior!! And cheaper with a free breakfast.

thanks for your review. We do have non-stop hot water, as we have tank less water heaters servicing all of the showers, you just simply have to turn the handle to hot - as you showed to us, you kept turning it to cold =/. We are available from 10AM to 10PM at all times, and we stay late, past regular office hours for any questions guests may have - but you are right, that for regular questions we are not here past midnight. Also, all of our plumbing/bathrooms/showers are new =)

The rooftop is even nicer than the website shows! We used the grill up there almost every night. The staff was really nice, and the location was perfect. There was even a liquor store right down the street.

Good standard hostel! Good showers, rooms, kitchen etc. The slippers thing is annoying but understandable. AC is good in the summer. Definitely recommend!

The hostel was clean and comfortable and in a brilliant location for seeing the sights of Washington DC, most within easy walking distance, or accessible via public transport.

The hostel was fine, but the reservation process through hostelworld was a disaster. The web site is fraudulent in that its charge was a booking fee and not a deposit. Moreover when I arrived I didn't have a reservation. Fortunately I could walk about 15 blocks to their other Capital View location. Make reservations directly, not through Hostelworld!

• 21st Jun 2014

Early in the morning, around 3, the ceiling / walls ran wild with little feet pattering and swishing sounds. I was in room nine. Later in the morning as the sun came up the birds started pecking the roof. Disconcerting to say the least. I was asked to keep all food items in the fridge, which I did. I did not see any pest damage but critters in the walls and ceiling should be removed. I only met one staff member at check in, I came and went before and after 10a-10p

• 12th Jun 2014

hey there, thanks for your comments, regarding the squirrels and birds on the roof, and around the side walls. Quite harmless really, and they rarely make it inside - usually if the windows are conveniently open. Sorry you didn't meet more staff - we usually spend the whole day roaming the first floor, or on the roof top patio - we usually don't enter into the rooms, once guests are checked in, thanks for your good ratings!

Very good location close to downtown DC. Friendly staff and very nice rooftop bar. Got value for money.

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Belgium

Rooms was ok, but the mattress wasn't definitely new as said in the hostel page, the bathroom was horrible, everything wasn't done by a specialist. The last day, a rat/mouse got stuck on a trap in the kitchen. That was horrible to hear this little animal scream. The kitchen was a mess, but not the fault of the people who worked there. not really well organized. But okay.

hey there, thanks for your review. We've updated all of the bathrooms/showers with new set-ups, new tiles, and fixtures - so they're pretty nice. I checked all of the bathrooms, they're all clean and look nice, so not sure what to address =/. Mice can enter the building, whenever any of the side doors are open, and so we have traps - better than them roaming on your food. Kitchen is cleaned constantly, and stays very nice for most of the time. Also - Pool/Jacuzzi organized Monday-Friday!

The one guy on duty when I was staying was not friendly at all! The pancake story is a joke! I couldnt find any utensils to measure or make them. The bathrooms could do with more cleaning. Upstairs the sink is tiny!

hey there, thanks for your review - and complaint about free food LOL. We've got fully stocked kitchen with knives/spoons/forks/plates/cups/bowls/multiple pans/free oil to use, and even measuring cups. We clean the entire hostel daily, and bathrooms/showers are cleaned/mopped with some bleach and mopping agent. If you're referring to any outdated shower curtains - those have been changed. Agreed, upstairs sink is indeed tiny! thanks

View all Washington DC Hostels