Capital View Reviews

301 i street NW, Washington DC, USA

I got a dirty sheet, and I found the place a little bit tiny. However, the staff is very friendly and they have parties on the roof (for those who like that).

hey there, thanks for your review. As we change all the bed linens, I'm sure your sheet was changed as soon as we saw it - as staff walks up with you to the room just for that reason - to make sure all is clean. It is a small hostel, with only 40+ beds, but loads of common room: the entire first floor, with living room, computer area/projection screen area, kitchen, and a huge roof top patio! thanks,

As one of the most expensive hostels in Washington you would think they could manage the basics like hot water. It was so bad I tried to complain at least 3 times but there was never anyone in the office and don't expect to be able to flush your toilet paper this place has serious plumbing issues. I moved to hosteling international which is far superior!! And cheaper with a free breakfast.

thanks for your review. We do have non-stop hot water, as we have tank less water heaters servicing all of the showers, you just simply have to turn the handle to hot - as you showed to us, you kept turning it to cold =/. We are available from 10AM to 10PM at all times, and we stay late, past regular office hours for any questions guests may have - but you are right, that for regular questions we are not here past midnight. Also, all of our plumbing/bathrooms/showers are new =)

The rooftop is even nicer than the website shows! We used the grill up there almost every night. The staff was really nice, and the location was perfect. There was even a liquor store right down the street.

Good standard hostel! Good showers, rooms, kitchen etc. The slippers thing is annoying but understandable. AC is good in the summer. Definitely recommend!

The hostel was clean and comfortable and in a brilliant location for seeing the sights of Washington DC, most within easy walking distance, or accessible via public transport.

The hostel was fine, but the reservation process through hostelworld was a disaster. The web site is fraudulent in that its charge was a booking fee and not a deposit. Moreover when I arrived I didn't have a reservation. Fortunately I could walk about 15 blocks to their other Capital View location. Make reservations directly, not through Hostelworld!

• 21st Jun 2014

Early in the morning, around 3, the ceiling / walls ran wild with little feet pattering and swishing sounds. I was in room nine. Later in the morning as the sun came up the birds started pecking the roof. Disconcerting to say the least. I was asked to keep all food items in the fridge, which I did. I did not see any pest damage but critters in the walls and ceiling should be removed. I only met one staff member at check in, I came and went before and after 10a-10p

• 12th Jun 2014

hey there, thanks for your comments, regarding the squirrels and birds on the roof, and around the side walls. Quite harmless really, and they rarely make it inside - usually if the windows are conveniently open. Sorry you didn't meet more staff - we usually spend the whole day roaming the first floor, or on the roof top patio - we usually don't enter into the rooms, once guests are checked in, thanks for your good ratings!

Very good location close to downtown DC. Friendly staff and very nice rooftop bar. Got value for money.

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Belgium

Rooms was ok, but the mattress wasn't definitely new as said in the hostel page, the bathroom was horrible, everything wasn't done by a specialist. The last day, a rat/mouse got stuck on a trap in the kitchen. That was horrible to hear this little animal scream. The kitchen was a mess, but not the fault of the people who worked there. not really well organized. But okay.

hey there, thanks for your review. We've updated all of the bathrooms/showers with new set-ups, new tiles, and fixtures - so they're pretty nice. I checked all of the bathrooms, they're all clean and look nice, so not sure what to address =/. Mice can enter the building, whenever any of the side doors are open, and so we have traps - better than them roaming on your food. Kitchen is cleaned constantly, and stays very nice for most of the time. Also - Pool/Jacuzzi organized Monday-Friday!

The one guy on duty when I was staying was not friendly at all! The pancake story is a joke! I couldnt find any utensils to measure or make them. The bathrooms could do with more cleaning. Upstairs the sink is tiny!

hey there, thanks for your review - and complaint about free food LOL. We've got fully stocked kitchen with knives/spoons/forks/plates/cups/bowls/multiple pans/free oil to use, and even measuring cups. We clean the entire hostel daily, and bathrooms/showers are cleaned/mopped with some bleach and mopping agent. If you're referring to any outdated shower curtains - those have been changed. Agreed, upstairs sink is indeed tiny! thanks

Excellent position. Very safe and decent neighborhood. There is a really nice big supermarket 2b locks away. Unique building. Staff is very nice, helped me print out some necessary documents I need to use the second day. Cons: girl's bathroom could be improved. Sometimes no toilet paper, sometimes flush won't work.

• 20th May 2014
  • China

Was a great place no complaints here!!

• 19th May 2014

hey there, thanks so much!

Silly and annoying "no shoes" policy.

• 17th May 2014
  • Uruguay

hey there, thanks for your review. Let us explain - when it rained every other day, during your stay - it would be very inconvenient for all of the guests to walk around the dirty hostel. Even if we clean throughout, we would not be able to ENTER the rooms after certain time. Your room floor would be disgusting, and you would have to sleep with shoes on, or wake up and be careful not to step on anything. We provide FREE HOTEL QUALITY slippers to make this policy awesome! thanks

Nice house in walking distance to the Capitol. Generaly fine hostel, could be fiendlier and more relaxed. I did not like the impossibility to check-in after 10 pm. Unfortunately we got delayed on the way and arrived late in night. The staff dont stay in the hostel overnight so we had to spend the rest of the night outside.. :( Otherwise not a bad place. B.R.

hey there, thanks for your positive review on the hostel. To elaborate on this for other guests - we have 24 hour check-in - we simply NEED to know if you are arriving. You can let us know ANYTIME, up until 10PM of that same day. We have staff that STAYS ON-SITE, and if they know of an arrival they are able to check you in any time. Communication is key in life! thanks again for your review!

This Hostel was absolutly nice! It's close to the centre and to grocery stores. The people there where very nice and helped us with every question we had. the roof of the hostel is amazing to have a good ending of your day! If you want to have a nice and cheap stay in Washington DC, go to capital view :)

• 13th May 2014

I must say, I expected more, especially for that price. Very good location, but anothet things nothing special.

hey there, you booked into the most expensive private room we have - it surely could have been way cheaper, in any other room. We ARE ALWAYS not the most expensive option in DC for the types of rooms that we provide - like other guest who stayed in your room said "hotel quality". We have awesome roof top BBQ area with hammocks, free POOL and Jacuzzi on weekdays, Yoga on Wednesdays, $5 gym access, wall sized HD projector for movies, etc - slightly special, no? =). Just join in next time.

The yelp reviews were pretty accurate: major hot water and plumbing problems, and they do not seem to screen to keep shifty-seaming locals out in favor of travelers. I'm pretty sure a girl snuck a dog into the room I was in. But facility felt safe and staff was responsive whenever I raised an issue.

• 10th May 2014

hey there, we appreciate your review. We are very diligent at "screening" people, but we cannot discriminate. Additionally, no one else complained about the person in your room - who was not local. We DO NOT ALLOW locals to stay at our hostels. There was no dog inside the hostel (we checked the cameras), so maybe the guests were just loud. I'm happy to see you enjoyed our responsiveness, and thought the hostel was awesome aside from that one guest in your room, thanks!

Convenient location - within walking distance of the Union Station (buses, Amtrak). No shoes rule may seem weird at first but is actually quite nice - slippers help to keep the place clean. Unfortunately, wasn't able to enjoy the roof-top terrace due to rainy weather but it looked like a cool place to chill out. But you can hang out indoors as well - plenty of movies, sat TV, coffee and tea.

hey there, thanks for a lengthy review describing what you can find here. The roof top patio is a nice bonus on almost any summer day, as long as it's not raining like crazy - sorry you weren't able to relax on the hammocks there, as it's my favorite spot!

1 2 Next » last »