Capitol City Hostel Reviews

2411 Benning Road NE, Washington DC, USA

Bill: I admire your determination and courage and kindness. Good luck with your business and I am sure you will do great! Thank you for providing me a safe and homey place to get through the transition.

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • China

The location seems a bit sketchy buti didn't have any problems. The staff was very helpful and eager. Considering how much hotels cost, this place is a good deal and convenient to bus lines. I may notrecommend it to my mom or sister but i'd stay there again.

I visited several dorms (or hostels) in Norway and the U.S and I always tried to minimize my expectations. However, this place was the worst I saw. Facilities are desperately needed to replace with new. There is bedbug problem. I`m scratching myself while I`m writing that. Mosquito are included to the price also : ) Air conditioner is so noisy. Also, the area of the hostel is not safe. You can see shops with bullet proof glasses. However, I admit that the staff is polite.

Thank you for being a good guest but when you were asked if everything is satisfactory, you said, "Yes. Good." If you had told us of any issue, we would have moved you to anther room. We have industrial type heaters that heat the rooms to 130 degrees F and achieve 100% remediation of all bugs and eggs. They come in with guest luggage so we do our best to combat the issue but luggage is the source. You mentioned mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are endemic to DC as the city's built on a swamp.

At first I thought the hostel would be bad because of the previous comments but it turned out very nice. It is bery clean and the staff is very nice. And it is a safe place. I stayed in the sared room and I left my cellphone on my bed and it was still there when I came back. But the room is quit small especially when you have a huge luggage like me. The area out side is quit scary. It was good staying there. If I go back to Washington DC I will should to stay there again.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Thailand

The owner was very helpful,he even came to pick me up from the metro station as I had heavy luggage.They have computers which are free to use and the signal of wifi was very strong. Their free kitchen even saved my couple of dollars. They don't even have any restrictions until it doesn't bother the other guests. It's the cheapest stay in Washington dc.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • India

Bill takes care of his custumer so good! Having a good time there!

That is a perfectly fine hostel. There are in fact some poor or black people in the area - boogieman...! They didn't bother anyone. But if you need the nice suburban setting you might consider looking for a HI Hostel, or a Marriot.

• 25th Jun 2014

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HOSTELS I HAVE STAYED AT. THE STAFF IS VERY FRIENDLY, THE PLACE IS VERY CLEAN. THE TRAVELERS ARE VERY PLEASANT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL, VERY PLEASANT STAY AND VERY GOOD LOCATION. THE BUS SYSTEM IS VERY CONVENIENT AND STOPS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOSTEL. THERE IS A 7/11 STORE WHERE YOU CAN GET FOOD ALL THE TIME AND THE STAFF IN THE STORE IS ALSO VERY FRIENDLY. FRESH COFFEE EVERY MORNING :)

Great stay in this hostel. Convenient place with kitchen well furnished. Supermarket and restaurant around. Bill is so helpful, always ready to give you good advice about the city.Highly recommend this place!

Bill is really friendly and i think there is no cheaper hostel with that conditions in Washington DC. If you are looking for a party hostel, you are wrong here, but i met interesting people and had a great time. With the bus its easy to get to the interesting parts of DC like the white house, museums and memorials. I would definitely go there again.

We didn't meet bill during our two night stay. But read lots of good comments about him.We chose this hostel due to its parking facility. The hostel is a 30 min bus ride into town, bus stop across the road. Room was spacious with double bed bunks.1 bathroom for 3 rooms. Kitchen facilities poor meant we had to spend money eating out. Internet connection fairly good.overall hostel looks old and could do with a spring clean.very quiet hostel would not recommend if backpacking alone

Bill is a very nice host. I got bitten a lot by bed bugs. The hostel needs a professional pest-control company.

Markus, thank you for being a good guest. Thank you also for your comments. We use regularly our professional heaters (that heat rooms upto 130 degrees F for a 100% kill of bugs and eggs - this is more healthy and effective than chemicals) but would have appreciated you telling us while you were here so we could've immediately helped you or maybe you were bitten on your last night. Guests bring them in w/ their luggage ...so it's an ongoing fight. Good travels. -Your friends in DC

A woman slept on a chair, an old man thought that is his home and tired me. It was my first time in a youth hotel and because of this experience, I don't want to repeat it. There is work to do, I think. The host, Bill, was nice, but I felt a little bit alone in this youth hotel. I've met some interesting persons but I didn't found a warm atmosphere.

• 8th May 2014

Bill, the owner, is excellent as many others have stated. He's friendly and helpful and knows the city. The hostel itself isnt located in the best part of DC but its close to the metro and right by a bus-route so it only takes about a half hour to get to most of the main attractions. The beds are spacious, though I'd avoid using the blankets as a few of us suspected they may have bedbugs due to us getting suspicious rashes upon sleeping with them. Kitchen was also understocked, with broken oven.

It's really like home. Bill is very very good.

- stains and hairs on the sheets - musty smell in the whole hostel - we slept in our travel sheet - dirty restrooms - absolutely unsafe neighbourhood, not recommend to go out at any time - -

Extremely rude staff. Definitely ruin my day. Not a happy experience.

• 13th Apr 2014
  • China

The mattress and bed sheets look old and unclean, while the whole house is in state of disrepair. The landlord is in another house, I feel insecure as the only female in the house.

I stayed at this hostel for 5 days and would recommend it to anyone who wishes to visit D.C. and is looking for a nice place to stay. The staff is amazing, the atmosphere is awesome. The owner took time to explain us how the city functions without being asked. Every night, when we returned to the hostel, it felt like coming home. The bus stop for X2 is just a 1 minute walk away from the hostel and can take you directly to downtown (the White House aswell) I will definitely go back again.

• 29th Mar 2014
  • Slovenia

I love staying there especially it's not out of the DC area and there's a bus directly to downtown (which stops right in front of the white house). The host is wonderful !!, he gives me a basic information of the city (like a professional tour guide) on my arrival to DC. The bed I had was cozy, and huge that two of me can fit in! The bathroom is very clean and dry. 711, Chinese food and halal food is very easily accessible! I had a wonderful stay, and I'd definitely stay there again if i return

View all Washington DC Hostels