Capitol City Hostel Reviews

2411 Benning Road NE, Washington DC, USA

Remote location not close to anything interesting in DC. Policy of checkin by appointment only, which is generally not compatible with folks travelling and don't know connections well. Bad for anyone who wants to see the city and have dinner or stay out late (after curfew of 10pm). Owner cancelled my reservation because I was late checking in, so I ended up having no place to stay in DC at the last moment. Left me in a very bad situation. NOT FUNNY!

• 16th Nov 2014

The hostel is really far away from metro lines, and it is almost ourside of DC. It is located in a very dangerous area, according to the taxy driver. And on top of that, There was no one in the hostel when I came. There was a note asking to call some in another house nearby, I went and still no one. I got really scared and I had to go somewhere else.

nice people

The staff is really nice. I stayed there two days. He told me a lot about where to go with a map. Also, he even drew map for me when I departed. The location is quite convenient with a near bus stop. I had good time staying there.

• 31st Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

Its a roof over your head and a comfy double bed... the people are friendly. For a girl alone to stay at its scary because its in a 'remote' part of washington quite far from most things... dont judge a book by its cover ... at first sight seems like a bad place to stay but my experience was good!*

• 24th Aug 2014
  • South Africa

This is perfect for the budget traveller. It's not flashy but you get good wifi and a big bed. $1.25 to get to the centre is great and once you're there everything is free. You won't want to spend time in the hostel. Bill the owner is really nice too.

When we arrived, Bill, the owner wasn't there, and there was a lot of confusion, and it put some members of our group off. If the same happened to anyone else, I would just say stick it out, because the place is great for anyone who is looking to stay in DC cheaply, and it has a very personal feel. Not everyone will feel comfortable in the surrounding neighbourhoods, but we had no issues. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to experience DC, and not just see the sights.

this is a wonderful hostel, and is wan exemplary model for the experience one should expect from a hostel. go spend 100 bucks a night if you want a hotel! Bill is a very helpful and completely transparent host and will do his best to make your experience in D.C. a good one. if you come, say hey! to Peter and Mr. Choi for me!

I stayed during the nights mentioned, but I extended for two more nights! Beds are on king size! Yeah! The owner, Mr. Bill, is a very helpful person. Which makes our staying very pleasent and worth it. The X2 Bus will help you arrive in and leave from the Hostel to anywhere downtown Washington, D.C. And in case you need some supplies or you're thirsty for that late refresh, you can go to the Seven Eleven right besides the Capitol City Hostel, 'cause it's opened 24/7! Thank youuu! ;) :D

The kitchen was poorly equipped. The bathroom wasn't very clean. There were a lot of people but most of them kept to themselves and there was not much social interacting. The area where the hostel was located is not very safe.

hostel host is nice. he is really kind and he always helps me many things kind of how I can go to the smithsonion or which place I should visit. just location is a little bit far away from middle of city. but there is public transportation to get there directly.

Bill: I admire your determination and courage and kindness. Good luck with your business and I am sure you will do great! Thank you for providing me a safe and homey place to get through the transition.

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • China

The location seems a bit sketchy buti didn't have any problems. The staff was very helpful and eager. Considering how much hotels cost, this place is a good deal and convenient to bus lines. I may notrecommend it to my mom or sister but i'd stay there again.

Above of all, I love this hostel. The hostel makes you feel like you stay at house in DC and live the same as DC people. The day I had to leave was raining and I had to take a bus at South station. Bill, the owner, brought me there with kind heart. He even pulled my heavy luggage and took care of me so well, like contact to ticket agent cause I missed a bus. He gave me phone no. and tell me I can stay the hostel with half of price! He is so kind like father. I've been missing Benning Rd!

I visited several dorms (or hostels) in Norway and the U.S and I always tried to minimize my expectations. However, this place was the worst I saw. Facilities are desperately needed to replace with new. There is bedbug problem. I`m scratching myself while I`m writing that. Mosquito are included to the price also : ) Air conditioner is so noisy. Also, the area of the hostel is not safe. You can see shops with bullet proof glasses. However, I admit that the staff is polite.

Thank you for being a good guest but when you were asked if everything is satisfactory, you said, "Yes. Good." If you had told us of any issue, we would have moved you to anther room. We have industrial type heaters that heat the rooms to 130 degrees F and achieve 100% remediation of all bugs and eggs. They come in with guest luggage so we do our best to combat the issue but luggage is the source. You mentioned mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are endemic to DC as the city's built on a swamp.

At first I thought the hostel would be bad because of the previous comments but it turned out very nice. It is bery clean and the staff is very nice. And it is a safe place. I stayed in the sared room and I left my cellphone on my bed and it was still there when I came back. But the room is quit small especially when you have a huge luggage like me. The area out side is quit scary. It was good staying there. If I go back to Washington DC I will should to stay there again.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Thailand

The owner was very helpful,he even came to pick me up from the metro station as I had heavy luggage.They have computers which are free to use and the signal of wifi was very strong. Their free kitchen even saved my couple of dollars. They don't even have any restrictions until it doesn't bother the other guests. It's the cheapest stay in Washington dc.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • India

Bill takes care of his custumer so good! Having a good time there!

That is a perfectly fine hostel. There are in fact some poor or black people in the area - boogieman...! They didn't bother anyone. But if you need the nice suburban setting you might consider looking for a HI Hostel, or a Marriot.

• 25th Jun 2014

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HOSTELS I HAVE STAYED AT. THE STAFF IS VERY FRIENDLY, THE PLACE IS VERY CLEAN. THE TRAVELERS ARE VERY PLEASANT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL, VERY PLEASANT STAY AND VERY GOOD LOCATION. THE BUS SYSTEM IS VERY CONVENIENT AND STOPS RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOSTEL. THERE IS A 7/11 STORE WHERE YOU CAN GET FOOD ALL THE TIME AND THE STAFF IN THE STORE IS ALSO VERY FRIENDLY. FRESH COFFEE EVERY MORNING :)

View all Washington DC Hostels