Captain Cook Backpackers, Paddington Reviews

162 Flinders Street Paddington, Sydney, Australia

Originally booked for two nights and ended up staying five staff are so friendly and everyone in the hostel had a good laugh together I could have easily stayed longer. Kitchen facilities available if you want to cook and the bar underneath serves food an the portions are huge

The staff where wonderful, always up for a chat. They were always helpful when it came to tips on how to get about and where to do. The hostel was clean, our room was lovely, live entertainment at the weekend was a big plus AND free drink vouchers on check in. For the price we paid I expected rubbish but I was pleasantly surprised. Only thing I'd say is the $50 key deposit is a bit steep even if your get it back.

• 17th Jan 2016
  • Scotland

Room and bath room dirty. Rooftop close?

Pro: friendly and helpful staff. Con: dirty, mattresses were very worn down and had huge dips in them so you were lying on the bed frame; broken door in common area with too many flies and dirt in the kitchen. Nights were sleepless due to inconsiderate stayers.

Dingy room with no bed sheets no pillows or anything,as they "had none left"I was also on the top bunk & had no ladder!!Room had cups all around with dead cockroaches underneath.bathrooms not cleaned once in week,was filthy.kitchen had about 3 plates and 1 saucepan- apparently you needed to ask the managers of you could use the facilities.No oven, no toaster and tap water tasted like metal. The common room is small but the only place where the wifi is slightly decent.worst music ever in bar.

Lovely people, although also crazy. The room was very dirty when I first arrived and was only cleaned the day I left. The location isn't great but you can easily get around if you like long walks. Kitchen is tiny and not great. However they were a lifesaver over the New Year period so I was very thankful to them.

This is the worst hostel ever. It was very unclean, room 8 had a serious leak when it rained, causing a very strong smell of damp and mould to grow. The mattresses spelt like urine and were very dirty. They didn't supply sheets or blankets either. There were cockroaches and rats around the hostel. There was no oven, no toaster, the living room door to the balcony was broke so the room got soaked when it rained. The bathrooms were awful as well. Also the bar staff downstairs were not friendly.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Wales

tori the manageress is amazing, so welcoming. Discounted food and drink downstairs, enjoyed my stay. Only 1 downside is locks on 2 of the 3 showers didn't work but no biggy I guess

Well some mattresses have holes in them and there were cockroaches in the bathrooms and the room I stayed in was quite untidy due to long term people staying there. There was also a severe lack of plugs as there was only 2 sockets for a 4 person room.

• 1st Dec 2015
  • Northern Ireland

Wifi slow sometimes not really useable.

This hostel was uncomfortable to stay in. Very close quarters in the dorms with very little space to put bags. The kitchen was I'll equipped with only hot plates to cook on. Fridge was very small, so was dining and common area. It was on top of a bar which can be good or bad. There was a live band which we would have like to enjoyed but we had just come from a 14 hour flight and so the very loud music was a but disruptive for a Thursday night. We switched hostels and are much happier.

• 7th Oct 2015

The door to the room was completely hanging off, the room smelt disgusting and the floor was covered in stains...not nice at all.

• 1st Oct 2015

I had a good stay here, the staff was friendly and the other guests were friendly and relaxed. The rooftop garden faces opposite of Sydney :-( It is on top of a bar that plays loud music until midnight. It's about a 20-30 minute walk to city and the opera house. Very close to Central train station. My only complaint is my first night somebody puked on the toilet seat and after 4 days it was still there...

Top!! First choise!