Captain Cook Backpackers, Paddington Reviews

162 Flinders Street Paddington, Sydney, Australia

Really liked this place. My room was clean and spacious, staff friendly and helpful. Bar was great for discounted drinks and food and also live music.

They charged us more than it said in hostel world, saying the offer was only available for the first time. So be careful! loud live music at night, beds do lot of noise, not many utensils in the kitchen, they clean the kitchen at breakfast time with no prior notice, not allowing you to go I'm... Not the best hostel at all...

The hostel is about 20 mins walk to central station , and near a bus stop

I am usually not picky when it comes to hostels but this one was particularly bad. Extremely dirty, stinky rooms and common areas, dirty and or broken toilets and showers. The staff was not friendly at all and seemed very bothered everytime a guest would ask them for something. I do not recommend this hostel and will never stay there again.

• 26th Feb 2015

Friendly staff and nice people

Nice and cheap stay!!

• 20th Feb 2015

Very dirty place. Very dirty roommates. Bathrooms not cleaned. RUN AWAY !!!

• 20th Feb 2015

Normally load music till 11ish because of bands in the bar but they had a good techno night on Saturday, this was a one off which is a shame as I enjoyed it. Nice enough people at hostel.

Our stay at this hostel was less than pleasant. The room we were put in had a hole in the ceiling, mould all over the walls and ceiling, had one powerpoint for four people and no storage facilities. After the night, where a cockroach dropped from the hole in the ceiling onto our pillow, and the noise from the other guests and traffic prohibited us from sleeping, we didn't return to stay for the second night. We also didn't receive a refund which we were well entitled to. Do not recommend.

• 19th Feb 2015

Not worth the money ! The ONLY ventilation in the dorms and bathrooms is by keeping all doors and windows open, our dorm had a piece of ceiling that had been patched in but not finished so all of the dust from the inner floor cavity was falling onto bed. Also due to poor venting the bathrooms were mouldy and smelt terrible.. The property Erected since 1912 so ventilation is needed. We were feeling ill after day 1. Good staff and nice ale in the bar below is the only bonus at this dump....

The building is very old and full of cockroaches, the bathrooms were rusty and poorly cleaned. The whole place was badly smelling all the time, cooking and food storage impossible due to the lack of kitchenware and space. Worst of all, the staff was incredibly rude, probably the worst staff I ever met in a hostel.

This place should be condemned!! DONT STAY HERE!

• 7th Feb 2015

Alright, the good: Cheapish partial refund when I moved my flight The bad: -Horrible beds that you couldnt comfortably sleep on -dirty with bonus cockroaches -kitchen is not a kitchen. It is a room with hotplates and a microwave -bar was only place to get wifi but had horrible sound coming from slot machines and wifi sucked -shower moldy and all knobs fell off (small issue but shows how little owners care) -room doors slam all night because of automatic shutting Avoid if possible

Not too bad of a place, but run down and dirty but it's okay for the price. Rooms get hot and kitchen could do with more cutlery. Showers were okay but no lockers in the rooms. Couple of long terms in my room which meant it was a bit messier than it would usually be. Bar downstairs has $10 meals and $6 beers. About 15mins walk to Central station, however walk is uphill going to the hostel but it's not that bad

The place is dirty and the facilities are in bad conditions, people staying there were not respectfull to each other so we really didnt enjoy our stay there. At least it's well located and we didn't see any cocrouchies or rats (which was surprising btw) Will not recommend definitelly

• 5th Feb 2015

I had the best time here, Tori the lady who booked me in was legit the most wonderful person I have ever met! She was so kind, informative and just generally lush! And she has the most welcoming vibe ever. Captain cook is the best run hostel I have ever stayed in, there are so many opportunitys to meet really nice wonderful people, so many social events or just time to put your feet up and relax! I Deffo recommend this hostel to anyone that wants to have a great time in sydney!

Kitchen and the common room are rediculously small. No cutlery and you have to walk down to reception which is at the bar in the pub downstairs to trade your key or ID for pots and pans. Other then that everything else was great. Girls 8 bed dorm was great value for money with a lovely private balcony

• 31st Jan 2015

Not worth the money.

Very nice staff, available terrace on the roof - good for watching stars

a best place for travelers.

• 30th Dec 2014