Captain Halpin's Hostel Reviews

Leitrim Lodge, Bachelors Walk, Wicklow Town Co Wicklow, Wicklow, Ireland

The room was different to the pictures and it would have been nice to have a bit more in the room itself, as in a mirror etc. Otherwise it was decent for what I needed it to be, somewhere to sleep.

• 5th Aug 2014

One of the most friendly hostels I have ever stayed over. Clean, just quite a lot of guys in our room. Very kind staff! Good location to get to Wicklow mountains or to visit Wicklow town. I would deffinitely stayed again.

We stayed only one night at the Captain Halpin's Hostel. Our double room was functionally furnished with a bunk bed and two chairs. The bathroom with shower was clean but very small. Directly in front of Hostel has free parking. We felt very comfortable.

Excellent location, friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Denmark
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Was hard to find the hostel. i was in the large mixed dorm which was spread over two rooms so it didn't feel like a 14 bed dorm. people were friendly so it was easy to meet people there. kitchen was ok, a bit dirty but able to cook your own food. tea/coffee costs 50c throughout the day. breakfast for 2 euro looked ok but i didn't eat it myself. bathrooms were fairly clean - 2 enquire showers/toilet for the 14 bed dorm plus another toilet. didn't have problem with it.

The staff is doing a great job.

Such a nice little town. We booked two beds in a four bed dorm and were the only people in there. A nice place to stay for some R

Very convenient location right by the airport.

The room was small but clean. The people are friendly. In town there are several pubs. It is right on the water and walking the town is easy. Take time to visit the castle ruins. When answering the questions about our group they only had 40+ We are all over 65 and felt comfortable in the Hostel. They are not just for kids!

Bargain accommodation, in the middle of Wicklow by the river but pretty quiet. Owner was very helpful and stored our bikes securely for us. Facilities were sufficient and our room had a private en suite. The room was cold (radiator didn't work) and the beds and bedding were dated but overall a very good place for those looking for accommodation on a budget.

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Wales

The bedroom was so full .. 14 poeple in a so little room. We was feeling like chicken in a box. Also it was very dirty. The big positive point : the men who welcome us was very kind and helpful.

• 24th May 2014

Captain Halpin's was my absolute favorite hostel in Ireland! Nice showers, good beds, and a GREAT atmosphere! The hostel keeper was very friendly and helpful and made me feel very at home. He helped me find a nice walk and told me about good places to eat and hear live music. There's a pub right across the street and a wonderful cafe around the corner that will make you feel equally at home! I will be coming back!

• 15th May 2014

This place is simple, but the staff is friendly and it has a nice relaxed atmosphere. Wicklow is a small town so you can walk anywhere you need too. There is a supermarket around the corner, the bus stop is a five minute walk away, and there are plenty of pubs. The hostel also provides round trip transportation to Glendalough for 15€, and it's a quick 45 minute drive.

• 7th May 2014

The best hostel I've stayed. The showers are great, the owner is adorable, and the atmosphere is as you are in a big family house.

A mighty hostel altogether

• 2nd May 2014

Only real drawback was location. Note that wicklow town doesn't have many attractions of its own. Glendalough (monastery, national park) is 25km away. Luckily owners drive guests for 15 euro to do a day trip but I don't think they advertise this. Ian (owner) was so nice

I really enjoyed my stay at the hostel! The owner was really helpfull and everybody was very welcoming! I had a great time and felt very comfertable.

I really enjoyed the time I spent here. If you are seeking out a relaxing stay you'll find it here. I felt like I was staying at a family members home with the comfortable sitting room, wide movie selection, and hot showers (it was the best one I've had on my whole trip). The owner was absolutely fantastic. He made sure that we were all comfortable and got to see and explore all the things we wanted to do in Wicklow. He even drove out to us twice when we were stranded on our bikes. It's lovely!

lovely room with handicapped toilet

We were very disappointed with this hostel. We booked a private room, but when we arrived, were told it wasn't available and were placed in a 16 bed dorm. Very different from the 4 bed private room we booked! People kept arriving and being added to the room until well past midnight which made it challenging to sleep. Also the power went out in the morning so there wasn't even breakfast as promised. We would have stayed elsewhere, but couldn't on such short notice.

• 14th Mar 2014