Caravella Backpackers Cairns City Waterfront Reviews

149 The Esplanade, Cairns, Australia

The safe in reception seemed to be left open a lot- not very secure

Hi, The safe is always locked when the office is unattended and the office is also secured with security cameras and alarm. Nothing has ever gone missing from the safe in the history of caravella backpackers !!! You could have felt completely at ease.

It was great, lovely people and lovely friendly staff. Kitchen and rooms were kept very clean, was very quiet as well. We also got a free upgrade which was awesome so my friend and I had our own room to share together. Definitely would stay here again if I come back.

• 8th Apr 2015

Overall, a good hostel to stay in. The major negative was that the wifi was extremely poor and only worked well next to one table, while also being outside. Some positives were the location, cleanliness, and a free towel upon checking in.

It was the same price as other hostels with the best amenities!! We had an early flight so we needed to check out and return keys before their office opened, but they accommodated us very professionally and handled everything like they've done it a thousand times. Loved this place.

• 7th Apr 2015

This has to be one of the best hostels I've stayed at during my travels in Asia and Australia. The atmosphere is great, tons of picnic tables in the common area between the 2 large kitchens. There's a pool, which I never used but looked well kept. I mostly stayed here as a base in between my trips to the Great Barrier Reef and daintree, staff remembered me each time. All 3 rooms I stayed in were clean. About a 10 minute walk to the lagoon and main area. Highly recommend.

My stay was great! Met some really interesting people. The Aussie lady on the front desk was amazing, I've been in hostels all over the world and she was one of the best staff I've come across! The hostel isn't much of a party hostel but that's okay because I wasn't really interested in that type of hostel.

Would defiantly not stay again. Asked a simple question about how to turn the airconditioning on and had 2 of the staff bitching about me before I had even left the room. Facilities are dirty. Nothing happens in the evenings there. It's awful. One of the worst we've stayed in on the whole east coast.

Friendly Staff, good location, I am really enjoy the stay at Caravella

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • China

Only stayed one night, but it seemed like a nice place and it was great value for money. Clean, quiet, good facilities. Short walk to lots of different restaurants/bars as well as the supermarket. Right by the water and a short walk to the lagoon. The staff were so friendly and lovely! Will definitely come back (hopefully for a longer stay) next time I'm in Cairns. Thanks guys :)

Terrible weather but the hostel compensated with the free wifi and the great rooms (complete with fans and aircon). We had booked a 4bed dorm but ended up getting an upgrade in a twin, so it was even more enjoyable. Very good washing machine and dryer. If you're interested in a transfer to the airport (pick up at the hostel), tell them you'd like to book a seat bc we didn't know we had to book so there was no room for us and we had to take a cab...it was the same price though.

Enjoyed my 4 nights here, staff were really nice and very helpful. Room was comfortable and very clean. Good location too, just a few minutes to the broad walk pool, main street and docks.

Met with a very friendly,smiley receptionist.Asked to be put in a room with English if possible(been travelling in Swermany-Swedes and germans only in every room!) and wss very amenable.A nice laid back hostel.

Great location on the Esplanade. Pool was good and wi-fi worked well for us, however only in outside communal area not room, but not a problem for us. Air conditioning in room which was a bonus. Two good size kitchens. Mattresses weren't too comfy, can't sit up on bottom bunk as too low. No toliet on our floor, only downstairs, but was never too busy.

Kind of a hike to the city but doable (15 minutes), sucks they turn off the internet at 10:30 every night and it only works by the kitchen but overall a nice hostel. All the staff were friendly and helpful, the atmosphere isn't the most social one but I'm outgoing and still met people (so if you're not, may not be the best hostel for you). Really liked the free airport transfer though, overall I'm not going to rant and rave how amazing it was but it's a nice enough hostel.

The hostels staff is super friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with window air conditioners. Good value for the money! 10 min walk to the harbour terminals and downtown great location. 2 min walk to many shoreline restaurants

• 30th Jan 2015

Was a good hostel, the aircon in the rooms was a god send and the pool and fridges in the room was a plus. the shared bathroom doors could have done with locks that actually work but that was about the only problem. The staff were helpful and smiley aswell which is always nice!

Fantastic, everything we were looking for! Calm, quiet and great staff :)

Great place to stay, would Definately stay there again. Staff were amazing and very helpful

• 11th Jan 2015
  • Scotland

I really enjoyed my stayed there, a great place to stay because of the great and really helpful staffs. If i go to Cairns again, i will stay this hostel again.

Noisy trucks in the morning (picking up rubbish?); noisy air con - tried to use the ceiling fan instead but it was very dusty; floor was very clean throughout