Caravella Backpackers Cairns City Waterfront Reviews

149 The Esplanade, Cairns, Australia

Good Place to be :)!

Staff were absolutely delightful and it was a great/cost effective room.

very good hostel to stay in except for the internet: the wifi is only free at some times of the day but even then doesn't work at all. fridge and bathroom in each dorm.

The only reason it wasn't a full 100% was when we came back after reception closed, and realised we didn't have the gate code. We knocked on the window to reception, and the chick held up a piece of paper from behind the desk, which we couldn't see and then told us to just shout someone else. She couldn't be arsed to even come to the window so we could see the code, let alone let us in! Apart from her everything else was spot on!

• 22nd Oct 2013

Great hostel with terrific staff! Not a crazy party atmosphere which is what I liked. Very chilled out and relaxed. Quiet at night (I had my own room though...worth the extra dollars!) and provided us with what we needed.

we are not in our youth and therefore felt a bit out of place here, but everyone was friendly and the staff were excellent, our room with ensuite was great, quiet, cool and clean. Had a great night's sleep. Situated just a little bit out of town, so quiet and peaceful at night and could save money by eating at the Woolshed which does great steaks for $8.00.

• 20th Oct 2013

Well what can i say, Such an amazing place to stay in Cairns, The owner Ralph is such a nice bloke, Neil, Hannah and the other reception staff are so nice to speak to and will help you out with anything! Great location only 5 min walk into the centre of Cairns, Extremely Clean Hostel too. Caravella has everything you could ask for 2 kitchens, Huge Pool area and TV area. The cleaners do such a great job in all the rooms, We'll be returning back in the new year and cant wait ! Caravella Rules !!!

• 20th Oct 2013

Very good with the free meals! Nice atmosphere, very good location right at the Esplanade. The wifi was very slow and limited, but there is free comunity wifi in Cairns so I used that instead. Quiet after 11 pm so even if it was noisy until then, everybody followed the curfew and it was quiet during the nights. The kitchen nmight have needed an update with the cooking utilleries, but we ate the free dinner every night. I would love to stay there again and can recomend it to others.

Caravella is absolutely amazing!! Such a fantastic hostel, Perfect location, great facilities, the kitchens are fully equipped & clean, clean linen and showers. Very safe and value for money! Loved the pool area/sun loungers. Great atmosphere to meet people. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend the hostel to everyone. It is definitely the best hostel in Cairns or QLD even!!! The staff made my stay as they are incredibly friendly and provide outstanding customer service. AMAZING!

• 19th Oct 2013
  • Wales

Friendly, helpful staff and comfortable room. Kitchen lacked equipment ie glasses, cooking utencils, dry clean tea towels (at end of day) but on the whole a great place to stay.

• 14th Oct 2013

Had a really good stay here. Our room was clean and very comfortable and we was only a 15 min walk to all the shops. The added bonus was the free evening meal at the woolshed where the food and drink are really good and the bar stays open to the early hours.

Loved it here, everyone very friendly, staff very helpful. A bit of a walk from central area but also a really nice walk along the Esplanade which was always busy and felt safe. I had my own room with onsuite, pleasant surprise to find I had my own sitting room too. I would definitely stay here again.

• 7th Oct 2013

This place was nice, so I extended my stay in here.

Liked staying here, would stay here again if back in Cairns

We had a late check in when reception was closed and 2 of our beds didn't have sheets and 1 had dirty sheets, and so we had to sleep like that the first night. They gave us a small discount on our tour because of this but what struck me as unprofessional was the manager did not say any apology to us, just a girl who worked at reception. I even asked to speak to the manager at some point but they just told me that the manager gave us that discount and that was that.

The food at the cafe was great. The location was great. Still within close proximity of esplanade activity and far enough away to be out of the hub and peaceful.

• 26th Sep 2013

Gangerally it is good, just the kitchen is not very clean, and people can only use wifi at the pool area.

This hostel wasn't bad, but definitely wasn't the nicest one I've ever stayed at. Bed wasn't very comfortable and the bed linens and towels provided were not in the best of shape. Do wish the rooms had deadbolt locks for a little extra security. Can't beat $60/night for a double room in such a great location and with a pool and sundeck.

The staff were very helpful and the place was very clean. I liked the common area the most where I found it easy to meet people as i was traveling on my own. It's an familiar atmosphere and they made my stay comfortable and enjoyable. If there are any questions for tour bookings or car renting the staff was excellent in make you everything easy and you had a feeling that they are really honestly.

• 21st Sep 2013

The room was great, and the locked gate for night entry was good for security. The air conditioner in the room was very noisy, and so we couldn't use it at night, which made it hot when sleeping. The shower heads are far too low.

• 17th Sep 2013