Casa Alto Vidigal Reviews

Rua Armando de Almeida Lima 2, Vidigal, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The hostel is on top of a favela. Very secluded so take everything you need with you. We stayed on a Friday night when they throw a party. Live band and then a dub-reggae set. Great fun. But the room we were put in was horrendous. Damp and smelly, and I got an electric shock from the plug on the wall. Showers were cold. They don't provide breakfast but the kitchen facilities are almost unusable. So if you don't mind living in a dump but like to party with a great view, this is the place for you.

Million dollar view. V accessible via public transportation. Kind & helpful staff. Quiet during week nights. I was unaware off Friday night dance program; I realize to many this is a bonus. perhaps hostel should announce. Thank u for a wonderful stay

From the reviews I was expecting a dirty hostel but it wasn't. It felt like a proper favela experience and as it was so high up you got to see a huge amount of the favela just getting there (I'd recommend walking up at least once) the view was amazing but as I am here as low season is starting there was no other guests

Very nice place to stay for some nights. It's on the top of the Vidigal, so it's kinda hard to get there, but totally worth it. I felt pretty safe there, since there's an UPP (Police Station) very near by. It also made me dismiss a Favela Tour in Rio, because we were already deep inside favela do Vidigal. The view is just breathtaking, and it's very close to the trail to Morro Dois Irmãos, an incredible view from all Rio. The staff were very gentle people, and the rooms were clean.

Very nice hostel,with the best view to rio!

• 9th Mar 2015

Great vibe and atmosphere! The view is amazing to wake up to.

• 12th Feb 2015
  • Norway

Stayed here for Carnaval. View, atmosphere and parties are amazing! Extremely safe Favela and a really authentic experience

good view but far out to get anywhere. cool place to stay for a short time

Do you enjoy cockroaches, dirty rooms and strange smells? Then this is the hostel for you, they do an amazing job of completing zero maintenance, and make sure they are paid well in doing so. So if you are one of those snobs who wants an okay bed and not have to watch where you go to avoid stepping in broken glass or maybe some mysterious creature, then look elsewhere!

It has a beautiful view, however the could do better with the place, they have everything to do it.. and they don´t do their best to make the best of it.. it´s not very clean,..

the location is amazing, there is a great bar on it, staff are very cool, I'd definitely stay here again, it is a really party hostel... I stayed in a private room, simple and small but good enough, comf beds...the only thing I really dislike is the cleanliness of the bathroom.... very very dirty.

Amazing place, just amaing.

Hideously overpriced for a very dirty place, ZERO maintenance ever done. Clean your bathrooms at least once a year!!!

Itś a fantastic experience that you get to live in a favela and itś extremely safe to walk day and night. Amazing view very positive guys and help is provided all time

We had a fantastic time staying at this hostel simply due to its location at the top of the Favela overlooking Rio. The view was awesome and local restaurants very good. Staying here was the highlight of our Rio experience! The hostel itself was dirty and so was the small kitchen; so we chose to eat out! the manager Jody was extremely helpful and we couldnt speak highly enough of him. He also took us on a Favel tour of Rocinha which was very good value for money. We would stay here again.

Hostel with the most fantastic view over the city! It is in a favela but very safe, you can walk around at night without any problems and everyone makes you feel very welcome. You can walk down to Leblon beach in - 40 minutes (nice walk) or take a bus/motortaxi. There is a very nice hike to the Dois Irmaos starting from Vidigal. Don't forget that the breakfast is not included.

On the top of a safe favela, the hostel has a best view! Vidigal is a safe favela but the combi and motortaxi are always trying to overcharge a new comer or a tourist-like. Jody is a great host. Nothing can beat the BBQ and cold beers with the moonlight on the ocean view here! Everyone who wants to have a taste of favela could definitely come stay here. Though it's a bit far away from all the attractions, need some patience of trafficking.

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Taiwan

The view at the hostel was amazing. Very friendly staff. It is in a favela, but it is one of the most privileged favelas and I did not feel unsafe even once on my stay, even roaming the streets alone. Overall, great place to stay!

• 7th Mar 2014

Location wonderful, place not only with a great view but also with a lot of authenticity. No need to worry about sleeping in a favela. I never felt unsafe there. There are parties sometimes and also it's great to go and eat tapiocas for the breakfast (not included in this hostel) in the tapioca bar (at 20 meters from the hostel).

Stayed here for 3 nights and was so good we had to book another! The view here is phenomenal, we got up each morning just to see the sunrise from the hammock on the balcony. Jody is a great host and has lots of info on buses, beaches, hikes and anything else you might need to know about the area. Would recommend to anyone! Great stay

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels