Casa Alto Vidigal Reviews

Rua Armando de Almeida Lima 2, Vidigal, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hideously overpriced for a very dirty place, ZERO maintenance ever done. Clean your bathrooms at least once a year!!!

Itś a fantastic experience that you get to live in a favela and itś extremely safe to walk day and night. Amazing view very positive guys and help is provided all time

We had a fantastic time staying at this hostel simply due to its location at the top of the Favela overlooking Rio. The view was awesome and local restaurants very good. Staying here was the highlight of our Rio experience! The hostel itself was dirty and so was the small kitchen; so we chose to eat out! the manager Jody was extremely helpful and we couldnt speak highly enough of him. He also took us on a Favel tour of Rocinha which was very good value for money. We would stay here again.

Hostel with the most fantastic view over the city! It is in a favela but very safe, you can walk around at night without any problems and everyone makes you feel very welcome. You can walk down to Leblon beach in - 40 minutes (nice walk) or take a bus/motortaxi. There is a very nice hike to the Dois Irmaos starting from Vidigal. Don't forget that the breakfast is not included.

On the top of a safe favela, the hostel has a best view! Vidigal is a safe favela but the combi and motortaxi are always trying to overcharge a new comer or a tourist-like. Jody is a great host. Nothing can beat the BBQ and cold beers with the moonlight on the ocean view here! Everyone who wants to have a taste of favela could definitely come stay here. Though it's a bit far away from all the attractions, need some patience of trafficking.

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Taiwan

The view at the hostel was amazing. Very friendly staff. It is in a favela, but it is one of the most privileged favelas and I did not feel unsafe even once on my stay, even roaming the streets alone. Overall, great place to stay!

• 7th Mar 2014

Location wonderful, place not only with a great view but also with a lot of authenticity. No need to worry about sleeping in a favela. I never felt unsafe there. There are parties sometimes and also it's great to go and eat tapiocas for the breakfast (not included in this hostel) in the tapioca bar (at 20 meters from the hostel).

Stayed here for 3 nights and was so good we had to book another! The view here is phenomenal, we got up each morning just to see the sunrise from the hammock on the balcony. Jody is a great host and has lots of info on buses, beaches, hikes and anything else you might need to know about the area. Would recommend to anyone! Great stay

I arrived and they were building this amazing chillout area for the hostel that was all made from recyclicaled wood. Had many a good laugh with the crew at alto vidigal. And would recommend this place highly. I've spent some time over the last 20 years travelling and as far as views of cities go it don't get better

• 22nd Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

The showers were a little bit cold but if you open just a little it will be warmer. it was an amazing experience to live in the favela!! me and my friend actually went to a party n the favela and it was very safe; we also made our shopping there anbd it as great and cheap; the fact of going by moto taxi everyday home was the best ever!!! we really loved it!

The location was fantastic and the view always impressive but the hostel itself was somewhat disappointing. We were unlucky in that we were at the hostel at a time when there was a lot of construction work going on. However, there wasn't much to compensate for it. The kitchen lacks equipment and the bathrooms are filthy. Part of the reason for this is that the owner doesn't have a clue what goes on in his hostel nor does he seem to care. Luckily Jody was great company and we got two nights free.

A good hostel with an amazing view over favela Vidigal and the ocean. Interesting experience of being there!

cool hostel with a great view to ipanema beach and really good, friendly stuff!!

• 25th Aug 2012
  • Austria

The location is great but the staffs wasn't that helpful. In my room was no curtains and there was a lamppost right close to my window, I couldnt close the windows because inside was so hot and I had to choose between sleeping with the light over my face or sleeping with the windows closed in a temperature around 28 degree with no air circulating

Very unique hostel. Definitely recommend if you're looking for something a bit quieter (except when theres a party at the adjoining bar, awesome!), plus its only a 20 minute walk from Leblon.

When first arriving at the bottom of Vidigal and having to take a motor taxi up to the top to the hostel you are bound to be a little nervous, but please dont let this scare you off. If you go for nothing but the view it is definitely worth staying here. Staff are friendly and will help you with finding your way around. Great parties and enjoyable atmosphere. Facilities arent perfect but if you are looking for somewhere fun to stay I would definitely recommend it!

Casa Alto Vidigal's location at the tippy top of a favela provides an experience unlike any other. Embedded in the Vidigal community, this hostel allowed me to see another side of Rio that would be otherwise inaccessible. If you want to come to understand what a favela is like and are looking for an alternative to the overpriced safari-type favela tours offered elsewhere, Casa Alto Vidigal is for you. Oh, and NO kind of money in ANY hotel in Rio could buy you the kind of view you get here!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels